Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  TWAT Discussion - your opinions
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWAT Discussion - your opinions  (Read 151363 times)
« Reply #1200 on: March 26, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »

Excuse me, but it's every fan's concern that albums have good sales figures ! How the fuck are we gonna get a follow up album if the first one is one big failure !? Not only the artist is not going to be as encourgaged to make another one but he may not get the right support financially! Get it now?

No, it's the concern of some fans who are more interested in the horse-race than the music. If GNR intend to make another album there will be a label waiting on their doorstep to snap them up, chart-busting sales or not, because they're guaranteed to sell some records and selling some records is how most labels survive. But if GNR really, really need millions upon millions of dollars to make a record then you aren't guaranteed another on any UMG label anyway - you can be sure that they aren't going to funnel another $13 million into GNR again any time soon, even if they have the top-selling album of the year.
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #1201 on: March 26, 2007, 06:49:48 AM »

I like it. A lot.  Grin
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #1202 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »

? "That keep you up and sittin' pretty...."

This song fuckin' rocks.? and for all you fags who say "oh, i love the end of the song...."? well, you're gay.? The WHOLE song rocks.?

Take it easy there fruitcake -  Great guitars for sure, but it IS possible to like certain parts of certain songs more than other parts -
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1203 on: April 02, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »

actually, TWAT would probably be the best "last song" on the album of the ones we've heard yet
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #1204 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »

actually, TWAT would probably be the best "last song" on the album of the ones we've heard yet

Yeah totally agree with that. What a way to bring the album to an end...Good shout  ok
Vitor_Icewall
Headliner

Chinese Democracy!!

« Reply #1205 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

amazing

great solo, great voice!! Pretty cool!!

bye!!

Chinese Democracy

Cause it would take a lot more hate than you
To end the fascination
Even with your iron fist
More than you got to rule the nation
When I all I've got is precious time
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1206 on: April 05, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »

this has probably been said a hundred times, but they better keep the long version and that solo at the end!!

I would hate for that solo to be cut out...It's just too damn fuckin good!!!

Honestly, like i'm a slashite (whatever...) but this is in the top 8 GNR solo's ever.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1207 on: April 05, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »

One of the best songs of Guns N' Roses. No doubts.

There Was A Time, Better and Madagascar are gonna be THE SONGS of Chinese Democracy...

tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1208 on: April 05, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »

One of the best songs of Guns N' Roses. No doubts.

There Was A Time, Better and Madagascar are gonna be THE SONGS of Chinese Democracy...

I think we better wait for the album before we make a statement like that. We could be in for a surprise. yes
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1209 on: April 05, 2007, 10:01:51 PM »

^^^oh, i hope for no suprises. I EXPECT better songs than what we've heard...not saying what we've heard is bad, but i think (matter of fact, KNOW) they can and have better "top gun" songs on CD.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1210 on: April 05, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »

think we better wait for the album before we make a statement like that. We could be in for a surprise.

Mmmmm.....I think you right.

I hope that when you said "surprise" you mean a "good surprise"....yeah, could be...maybe there are bigger songs than Better or Madagascar or There Was A Time. When you have in your band one of the best vocalist of all times...anything could happen...

tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1211 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

^^^oh, i hope for no suprises. I EXPECT better songs than what we've heard...not saying what we've heard is bad, but i think (matter of fact, KNOW) they can and have better "top gun" songs on CD.

Well yeah, I know I aint gonna be surprised. I believe that every song on this record is gonna be unbelievable. I cant wait to hear the songs we havent heard yet. I can only imagine what we are in store for. drool
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1212 on: April 05, 2007, 10:06:59 PM »

The problem is that with all the leaks we listened almost the half of the album already  Tongue

tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1213 on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:17 PM »

The problem is that with all the leaks we listened almost the half of the album already  Tongue

I know. Sad

Well if there's still gonna be 13 tracks, and assuming that Catcher wont be on the record since they havent played it live and Axl said he wasnt sure last year, we still got 7 tunes to look forward to hearing for the first time.
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #1214 on: April 05, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »

Bucket Head outro takes that music to another level.
I can touch the ANGELS foots hearding this outro. smoking

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1215 on: April 05, 2007, 10:17:34 PM »

The problem is that with all the leaks we listened almost the half of the album already? Tongue

I know. Sad

Well if there's still gonna be 13 tracks, and assuming that Catcher wont be on the record since they havent played it live and Axl said he wasnt sure last year, we still got 7 tunes to look forward to hearing for the first time.

Obviously...and the leaks are that...LEAKS....the studio version will be better for sure!

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #1216 on: April 08, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »

I wonder if this song wil be titled as:

There was a time
or
TWAT

in the booklet..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1217 on: April 08, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »

^ lol twat would be an interesting read in the booklet  hihi

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #1218 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:44 PM »

I'd think it'll be titled "T.W.A.T (There Was A Time)" on the album. I dunno, it being GNR and everything...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1219 on: April 09, 2007, 04:36:24 PM »

I was reading through some poems last week and came across this one that I think might be an inspiration for TWAT. Normally, I'd say its too bold to link up a song with another work unless there's been a direct mention by the writer or its obvious (like "Catcher in the Rye")..... However, Stephanie's son is named after the poet who wrote this, and GN'R covered 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' by Bob Dylan who also took his last name for this poet. It's not hard at all to imagine Axl coming across this poem.....

Was There A Time
By Dylan Thomas
Was there a time when dancers with their fiddles 
In children's circuses could stay their troubles?
There was a time they could cry over books,
But time has set its maggot on their track.
Under the arc of the sky they are unsafe.
What's never known is safest in this life.
Under the skysigns they who have no arms
Have cleanest hands, and, as the heartless ghost
Alone's unhurt, so the blind man sees best.

Seems like a real ambiguous poem, so it's not too easy to draw a connection in meaning between the song and the poem. Furthermore, a poem this short probably isn't going to show up in many academic journals, so we can't expect much outside help interpreting it. What I can take from it seems to fit though.

In TWAT, the speaker was once a slave doing whatever the girl wanted, but after the bitch cheated on him, it taught him something about the world and he learned to be a free thinker. The broken glass in the first line would be him symbolically breaking free from self-forged slavery to her. Also, you might be able to interpret "writing on the wall" as a Charles Manson reference, which could even suggest the song is taking place in the woman's house after the speaker just broke in and murdered her.

In the poem, there seems to be a similar change in view (except it is the speaker observing it in others rather than himself). The children could once forget their troubles at the circus and get engaged enough in a book to cry over it, but all of that changes with an awareness of death ("time's maggot"). I think the "arc of the sky" is the separation between the material world and heaven, so being under it (and a part of the material world) is unsafe because things are limited and inevitably die in the material world. It is "safest" to not know ("What's never known is safest in this life") because it is a lot easier to live illusioned than confront the reality of death and your own mortal limitations. "They who have no arms" are the naive who are controlled by others, so they have "cleanest hands" (free of guilt, haven't done anything wrong) because they do not act on their own, only through what they're told by others. "No arms" could also be a pun for guns, which would simply be something like "you can't shoot anyone without a gun". The blind man sees best because he can see beyond the truth and isn't distracted by the material world shown through literal eyesight.

Overall, I see these major correspondences...
  • In both, a traumatic event (cheating girlfriend, awareness of death) spurs characters to move to a greater level of consciousness
  • The 'naive' states in both involve some type of slavery - in the song, the speaker would do anything for the girl... in the poem, the children have no arms to do anything out of their own will
  • Both speakers feel its easier not to know ("And I don't want to know it now") than to confront the dark truth
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: