Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Pick up question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pick up question  (Read 2562 times)
Jack49
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« on: April 09, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »

Im new to the guitar, been playing for about 3 months.  I bought a 56 gold top Epiphone to get started (later this year hope to get a Gibson) Im not really happy with the pickups even though my freinds say they love the guitars sound.  I wanted to get Seymour Duncans Alnico 2s  Humbuckers.    Unfortunatly my particular guitar cant fit the Humbuckers.  So my question is the guy sold me on Dimarzio DLX Plus.  He said these will give me the humbucker sound without having to major work.  Is this the case on these picks ups, are they decent? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:52:50 PM »

The Alnico II's are relatively weak in output compaired to all of the other higher output
pickups out there.  What do you have in your guitar, P-90's? I'd leave it as is and get another guitar.

Hoosier
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »

i would also leave it as is till you can get a Gibson. not really much point in putting in $150-250 more into a guitar you are goin to sell, or demote to your #2 choice. although i would have thought humbuckers would go in anyway.

ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!?!
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »

Check out the stuff at www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk they are currently one of the best manufacturers in the world.
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:08 PM »

With all due respect - you have only been playing for 3 months. I am a true beleiver in buying the best equipment you can afford, but trust me - the P-90s are great pickups. Ive got a lot of Live and Studio experience and played tons of high end gear - but I also have the same Gold Top as you, and set up right, this guitar is fantastic. I would get it set up by a pro and just concentrate on learning to play - maybe spend your money on getting a decent amp before forking out in a Gibson.

I hate to sound like an old fart or to bring you down.... Sorry!  Smiley
Jack49
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »

your not bringing me down  Smiley  Im enjoying the feedback.  I hear so much contradictory stuff.  Anyone whos played my guitar loves its sound.  Although the p-90s to me sound abit gloggy, but then again im a complete newb with my guitar but whos being taught well by pretty good player who things my guitar sounds great but you come to places like here and you think hmm.    My question was really about the Dimarzio pick ups and what people thought of them considering ive already ordered them. 
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »

Cool - I didnt want to sound like a big headed bastard! 

Well in that case - I bought a guitar second hand guitar years ago that had a DiMarzio pickup in it and it sounded great. I dont know which model it was unfortunately, but I know a few players that swear by DiMarzios, so Im sure they will be great.

So am I right in thinking that the pickups you are getting are 'P-90 size' humbuckers? Thats interesting, although I love my P-90 sound - I may just try and justify to the missus that I need yet another guitar!

Happy playing!
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:37:18 PM »

I got a Epiphone LP Jr. with a dog-ear pick-up(Basically a P-90) that I like playing more than my LP Studio.

liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »

p-90:s are grat imoandso are humbuckers, I needboth setups so that I can play the things I want, apples and oranges.
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »

Just fuck around with your amp settings to fill out your tone and make it beefier. As of your position now, you should just worry about learning to play

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »

P-90s are some tasty pickups.

Keep em'. beer

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: