Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227836 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  What has been your favorite period of GNR?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What has been your favorite period of GNR?  (Read 15356 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« on: March 18, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »

What has been your favorite "NEW"GnR Period?

For me its prob been the 2000-2002 period.

I just think from 2000-02 lineup had such a great feeling. I was watching a few songs from Rio the other day and I still get the same feeling 7 yrs later....MAGIC!

The band, including Axl, just seems to be at their peak during this time frame. Axl might not have had his best vocals during this time but everything seemed natural and fun.  Axl had a less hollywood feel to him as well than he does now and it just seemed like he didnt give a fuck during this period. The band seemed to have more fun on stage during this period as well.

I really hope that magic can be recaptured...

What are your fav. periods of new gnr???

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »

definately 2007.

with ron on board it was great, frank is a great showman.

im glad they ditched the freak show image of the 2000/2001 era.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »

The Axl 2002 voice doesnt work for me, I love it on the blues but thats about it. I didnt care for Robin's Goth look and I didnt care for Paul Tobias too much.

So Present day is definitely my favorite.  Everything is clicking, everyone has a defined role and identity.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »

^^^^^

i completely agree, although i still enjoyed the new songs etc, i still found the whole band disjointed (in image and probably in musical direction at that time). Its much better in 2007, the band look like a "band", they look friendly and comfortable in their own skin and with eachother, which is a good thing for those who call it "the axl rose show"

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »

More fun in 2002?

Don't agree at all.

How many surprise shows did they play then?

I would say 2006 to present.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »

More fun in 2002?

Don't agree at all.

How many surprise shows did they play then?

I would say 2006 to present.

/jarmo

2001-2002 was a special time. the vegas new years gig 2000 was the first gig in 7 years. all the speculation and waiting all built into that show. and the 2002 tour was very special as well. vegas 2000 was one of the best shows ever, hands down.

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »

2006 to present too. they sound and look like a real band now.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:12:38 PM »

It's all Guns N' Roses.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »

2006-Present.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »

It's all Guns N' Roses.

Good answer, because "What has been your favorite period of GNR?" is a loaded question! 
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 02:22:44 AM »

For me its prob been the 2000-2002 period.

I just think from 2000-02 lineup had such a great feeling. I was watching a few songs from Rio the other day and I still get the same feeling 7 yrs later....MAGIC!

The band, including Axl, just seems to be at their peak during this time frame. Axl might not have had his best vocals during this time but everything seemed natural and fun.  Axl had a less hollywood feel to him as well than he does now and it just seemed like he didnt give a fuck during this period. The band seemed to have more fun on stage during this period as well.

I really hope that magic can be recaptured...

What are your fav. periods of new gnr???

That makes no sense at all what is my favorite period of NEW gnr?

Anyways for me overall I say 86-89 , just raw and real.

For new GN'R I saw from when BF joined and on , making it 06-to present. I think its a lot more funner now than in '02 , Axl is on top of his vocals and the band is not tight just musically but personally!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:24:19 AM by Feel_The_Burn » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »

I think the original poster is way off in everything he says.

Look at the facts:

2002: One New York show
2006: Five plus one surprise show

2002: One London show
2006: Three plus one surprise show

2002: A few radio interviews, short Axl interview at the VMAs (did I miss anything?)
2006: Spends hours telling stories and listening to songs on Eddie Trunk's radio show.

2001: Rock In Rio 3 on TV
2006: Rock In Rio Lisbon, Rock Am Ring, Inland Invasion (web stream)

2002: GN'R plays shows.
2006-7: GN'R plays shows and bring out old and new friends on stage (Izzy, Baz, Bubbles, Angry, Lars)

How you come to the conclusion that the band and Axl seemed to have more fun in 2002 is beyond me. I don't get it.

Pointing out that Axl was "less Hollywood" in 2002 as a good thing.

Axl goes out more in 2006-7 and that's suddenly a bad thing.  Roll Eyes

Maybe you just miss Buckethead and the only thing that matters to you is that he was in the band in 2002?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »

The only thing I missed in the 2006/07 gigs was Rhiad. Other than that, the current period is by far better in every aspect.

Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:12 PM »

Look at the facts:

2002: A few radio interviews, short Axl interview at the VMAs (did I miss anything?)
2006: Spends hours telling stories and listening to songs on Eddie Trunk's radio show.

2006-7: GN'R plays shows and bring out old and new friends on stage (Izzy, Baz, Bubbles, Angry, Lars)

How you come to the conclusion that the band and Axl seemed to have more fun in 2002 is beyond me. I don't get it.

Maybe you just miss Buckethead and the only thing that matters to you is that he was in the band in 2002?

/jarmo

You really jump to conclusions man calm down the guy likes 02 better than now because of his reasons no need to attack him. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

You really jump to conclusions

I jump to conclusions? Haha!

What about the original thread starter who says things like "everything seemed natural and fun".

How you come to that conclusion with the facts we have today is just something I don't understand.

/jarmo

Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »

You really jump to conclusions

I jump to conclusions? Haha!

What about the original thread starter who says things like "everything seemed natural and fun".

How you come to that conclusion with the facts we have today is just something I don't understand.

/jarmo

It's called an opinion , thats what you don't understand.....

Everything seemed fun and natural , to him , in his eyes , in his own opinion.  I mean for gods sake

"Maybe you just miss Buckethead and the only thing that matters to you is that he was in the band in 2002?"

It seems like anytime someone enjoys any other era except from today it is followed by

"Maybe you just miss -insert former member here- and the only thing that matters to you is that he was in the band in -insert era-?"

What facts? Surprise shows? Interviews? Maybe some people prefer , no actually some people DO prefer '02 , its called opinion...

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »

No, I'm very aware that opinions are like assholes....

You don't understand, still don't even after your first ban, that when I see an opinion I disagree with, I will say so.

Everything seemed fun and natural , to him , in his eyes , in his own opinion.  I mean for gods sake

Sure. In his eyes it might've. But he didn't specify anything. Like what made him come to that conclusion.

As you might've noticed, I gave examples of why I think 2006/7 seemed more fun for the band.

So you can read the facts and then think "oh, OK I see why you think so" instead of just reading "2006 was fun".

What facts? Surprise shows? Interviews?

Aren't those facts?

I don't know how to explain it to you if it doesn't make any sense.

Maybe some people prefer , no actually some people DO prefer '02 , its called opinion...

And we're back to the original point: Why?

As I already said, I explained why I disagree. It's called a discussion.

You're just arguing with me for the sake of arguing. You have yet to add anything to the topic. Surprise, surprise.

Some of the people who prefer 2002 also wish the band would get to play more new songs. Compare the set lists from the US 2002 tour to the 2006 US tour and you'll notice that they played more new songs in 2006. So, are they saying the band was happier and had more fun when they played less new songs?  Huh

/jarmo
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 05:11:47 PM by jarmo » Logged

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »

I'm gonna go with 2006 til now. Primarily because the current incarnation is definitely my favorite line up Axl has had since the new century began. Other factors are getting to finally see Axl live in 06. I was at the first Hammerstein show and it was probably the happiest I've ever been at any of the hundreds of shows I've been to in my life. Also based on the bootlegs I've heard early in the decade Axl's voice sounded horrible, at least in my opinion. In 2006-Now everything I heard, especially in person, his voice sounded better than on the UYI tour. Better than ever maybe. Throw in the fact that CD has never seemed closer to coming to fruition and this to me is the golden age of the new GnR.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »

whenever my answer is everly present and the future.

so it seems to me too, save that the band in 2006~2007seemed to be again at their peak and to have no Hollywood feels(the peasant look is far from it!) on stage but more fun than then. the 02 image that 8 dudes coming from different genres harmonize well as a band unaffectedly was very fresh to me as well however I don't think it would be still fresh to see live after many years.
Did  you see any show in your fav period yourself?

Having got into this band in 2003 I always have a special spot for the visionary lineup and your old posts full of love for the band.
fortunately since 2006 I've seen the band actually going stronger than ever.  Now the real things.

I wouldn't miss great things happening right now by missing things of the past. never for something I didn't even get to see.

Moreover, I don't see a reason to take sides. They are not conflicting to each other.
If you're hurt thinking the band betrayed your confidence by altering what you'd defended, younggunner, you're dead wrong.  whatever lineup, axl and robin wouldn't cling to one style forever anyway. but the magic continues. The present isn't denying the previous period.  They are both periods in Chinese democracy and we've only seen the prologue to it.

false friends are all you hear and no one is speaking the same language. You know, the intro of Chinese democracy. Then the guitar starts to stop 2wice/a few times till it starts in earnest. Each call builds up the excitement. the first start has such a great feeling. then the second time it sounds more solid and confident. You might like one period better than the other but.... does it really matter??
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »

2006-Present.

Yeah 2006-present has really been amazing.

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

Look at the facts:

/jarmo

You really jump to conclusions man calm down the guy likes 02 better than now because of his reasons no need to attack him. 

whats the big deal? the guy likes the 2002 period better. that's it. does he have to give you a detailed description of why? so you like the 2006 period better, well thats great. im not gonna ask you how you could say that or give me proof. thats laughable...

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »

Every second since Axl went to that Korn party.

Even during quiet periods, I feel a buzz when I think about the band.  It's a very special time for us fans.

No, I haven't been hanging with fuckin crazy.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »

AFD

I've replied to this already, and my post was removed  Roll Eyes

Look again.  Your post is still there.  Roll Eyes

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=51110.msg1054202#msg1054202

I hope you post an apology to the mods.  I think they do a pretty fuckin awesome job keeping shit posts to a minimum.  ok

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »

No, I'm very aware that opinions are like assholes....

You don't understand, still don't even after your first ban, that when I see an opinion I disagree with, I will say so.

Sure. In his eyes it might've. But he didn't specify anything. Like what made him come to that conclusion.

As you might've noticed, I gave examples of why I think 2006/7 seemed more fun for the band.

So you can read the facts and then think "oh, OK I see why you think so" instead of just reading "2006 was fun".

What facts? Surprise shows? Interviews?

Aren't those facts?

I don't know how to explain it to you if it doesn't make any sense.

Maybe some people prefer , no actually some people DO prefer '02 , its called opinion...

And we're back to the original point: Why?

As I already said, I explained why I disagree. It's called a discussion.

You're just arguing with me for the sake of arguing. You have yet to add anything to the topic. Surprise, surprise.

Some of the people who prefer 2002 also wish the band would get to play more new songs. Compare the set lists from the US 2002 tour to the 2006 US tour and you'll notice that they played more new songs in 2006. So, are they saying the band was happier and had more fun when they played less new songs?  Huh

/jarmo

2006 by far better than 2000-2002 but i do miss buckethead being in the band..dont dwell on it, but do wish he was still there and imo when  i hear cd it should solidify that for me. from a live aspect bh just blows ron away

ron is more fan friendly though and a better fit in the band but buckethead owns the guitar and axl knew/knows it 

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 02:24:13 AM »

I think everything since Axl walking into the Korn party has been great....More has happened in the past 2 years than the previous 12 combined...so that is awesome...Not to mention that the leaks are phenomenal....so I would have to say the past 2 years have been the best....but I will always have a soft spot for 1992...I remember staying up late to watch the MTV awards when the performed with Elton John...it was awesome... not too mention all the other stuff that went down that year....but if I had to choose I would say 2006-now
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 03:05:16 AM »

Can't help myself, here.  I tried to avoid this, because this is a loaded question, like I said before.  But, I'll say it anway... My favorite period of GnR? My ultimate favorite?  AFD era.  Sorry, nothing beats that.  Without that, they wouldn't be here, today.  Beyond that, the era with Axl (of course), Slash, Duff, Matt (heh, heh, ban me now.....), and Izzy.   

However, I am still interested in what's going on today.  That's why I found this place & continue to want to stay here.   
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

Can't help myself, here.  I tried to avoid this, because this is a loaded question, like I said before.  But, I'll say it anway... My favorite period of GnR? My ultimate favorite?  AFD era.  Sorry, nothing beats that.  Without that, they wouldn't be here, today.  Beyond that, the era with Axl (of course), Slash, Duff, Matt (heh, heh, ban me now.....), and Izzy.   

However, I am still interested in what's going on today.  That's why I found this place & continue to want to stay here.   

I think you and a couple others are misunderstanding the topic of the thread. It says in the first post "new" GnR. Like 99-now.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 06:53:01 PM »

2006-Present

2001-02 was cool in a lot ways (Vegas shows, RIR III, MSG, Buckethead, etc.)... but there was just a "negative" energy surrounding the band at that point in time IMHO. Axl (for the most part) looked and sounded like crap. Finck and Buckethead evidently didn't really get along. MTV Awards didn't go exactly as well as it could have. Vancouver and Philly riots. Critics and public taking lots of pot shots at the band.

2006-Present has been so much better IMHO. Excitement of the Hammerstein shows. Very successful and completed tours (especially abroad). Axl looking and sounding 1000x better. Finck greatly improving his live performances and finally seeming comfortable in his role as lead guitarist. Bumblefoot providing much better "chemistry" and "stability" to the band than Buckethead did. High quality leaks. Generally good reviews. Everything continues to progress at a glacial pace... but there are at least some positive vibes surrounding the band the last few years... which is great considering that many of us thought the band was dead after the Philly riot in '02.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 05:53:10 AM »

I think you and a couple others are misunderstanding the topic of the thread. It says in the first post "new" GnR. Like 99-now.

well it should say that in the title of the thread.....what is the point of this thread then?  who in the world is going to pick anything from 99-2004 over 2006 to present....lets see we have a band who practically did nothing except play a few shows OR we have a band with brand new leaks and SHITLOADS of shows....not too mention tons of info on "Chinese Democracy."  hmmmm......
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »

well it should say that in the title of the thread.....what is the point of this thread then?  who in the world is going to pick anything from 99-2004 over 2006 to present....lets see we have a band who practically did nothing except play a few shows OR we have a band with brand new leaks and SHITLOADS of shows....not too mention tons of info on "Chinese Democracy."  hmmmm......

I dunno, the people who like riots? lol Yeah I agree it should be in the title.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

I dunno, the people who like riots? lol Yeah I agree it should be in the title.

Thats true...On CNN the night the 2002 tour was supposed to start in Vancouver there was a crawl on the bottom of the screen that said someting to the effect of "guns n roses fans riot as lead singer Axl Rose no shows tour opener" ...it was like a breath of fresh air reading that.... hihi

nevermind the fact that it was Vancouvers fault because they canceled the show
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »

I voted for 06-Present... but to the extent I struggled with it at alll, it was b/c I really dug Buckethead as a unique and unbelievable talent. Also, there was a great thrill surrounding the New Year's Eve Show and RIR III in early 2001 when Axl unveiled GN'R for the first time in 7.5 years and first performed "Chinese Democracry", "The Blues", "Madagascar", etc. Ultimately though, it doesn't compare to 06-Present, b/c it all led to nothing other than a pair of riots and more bad press for the band. The band chemistry is much better these days and there seems to be some actual momentum...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
disease51883
Rocker

Hey, you caught me in a Coma...

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

I'm going with 2006-present. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to change my avatar.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:48:43 PM by disease51883 » Logged
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 11:26:48 PM »

oops - sorry.  Well, the topic of the thread says....

and I swear that word in bold wasn't there, at first, but maybe I just missed it.     
McDuff
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »

definately 2007.

with ron on board it was great, frank is a great showman.

im glad they ditched the freak show image of the 2000/2001 era.

I have to agree with you on this,I think the band is a lot better since they brought Ron into the band,he adds something cool to an already cool band,sure Buckethead was and is a great guitarist,but I think his image just didn't fit. smoking
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »

2006/2007.

In that period, Axl shutted a lot of mouths and kicked a lot of asses

The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »

1986 - 1993: nothing to say more, that was my fav period.

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »

Didn't read the first post  Tongue

Ok, well then I would say from 2006 until now.

Anyhow, why is this 'dead horse'??

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Rikki
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 11:34:52 PM »

86-94'.... Anything after just sucks. Especially when Buckethead was in the band.  What jump suits and chicken buckets have to do with rock n roll or gnr I don't know.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: