Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:45:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The absolute BEST performance of You Could Be Mine - ever!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The absolute BEST performance of You Could Be Mine - ever!  (Read 2887 times)
HamsterDemocracy
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:49:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OsViIu9SLo

Holy fucking shit that is absolutely amazing! I mean Axl's vocals are really really raspy but it works here, gives the song a hard-edged sleaze.

I haven't seen this one posted before, I put it in the YouTube thread but decided more people might see it in Dead Horse too, and I wanted to know what YOU think the best YCBM of all-time is and also, does anyone have audio of this whole show? I can't get over how awesome that performance is.

I like when he says ''I'll leave you lyin' on the beeed'' - it sounds different than usual and kind of nasal-y. Awesome stuff.
Alina
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »

yeah cool link , never saw this before
you can download the whole show on GNR BANNED  ok

Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 10:51:39 AM »

I always appreciate it when people discover something they're passionate about and decide to share it with others. So thank you for that. Having said that, I don't agree with this being an ace performance of the song. To me the instrumental section sounds generally weak and too sloppy at times, whereas Axl's vocals sound very shot/ worn out.

-PEACE-

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:56:32 AM »

I know better versions.. Paris 1993 for example.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
TheMole
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 10:58:45 AM »

I always appreciate it when people discover something they're passionate about and decide to share it with others. So thank you for that. Having said that, I don't agree with this being an ace performance of the song. To me the instrumental section sounds generally weak and too sloppy at times, whereas Axl's vocals sound very shot/ worn out.

-PEACE-

Agreed on the voice-thing. Concerning the sloppyness of the band: well, that's old skool kick ass rock n' roll for ya man, either you dig it, or you don't. To each his own.
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »

Lol, don't try to make this look like I'm not into old-school RnR.

I too started as (solely) a fan of the old band and have seen practically every show worth mentioning of them. This performance to me, instrumentally, doesn't live up to the old band's status quo in those days. I'm not comparing this to the new band: I'm only comparing the old band to itself at other moments times ? and in this context (instrumentally) this isn't "kick ass" or "old school" at all IMHO...

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:16:41 AM by Slipdisc » Logged

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:55:02 AM »

Holy fucking shit that is absolutely amazing! I mean Axl's vocals are really really raspy but it works here, gives the song a hard-edged sleaze.

I haven't seen this one posted before, I put it in the YouTube thread but decided more people might see it in Dead Horse too, and I wanted to know what YOU think the best YCBM of all-time is and also, does anyone have audio of this whole show? I can't get over how awesome that performance is.

I like when he says ''I'll leave you lyin' on the beeed'' - it sounds different than usual and kind of nasal-y. Awesome stuff.

Dude, I usually agree with most of the things that you post.....especially when talking about Axl's voice....but there are a MILLION better performances of YCBM....a million......his voice was a bit gone during most of this show....I have this at home as well as a million others that are better.....does it suck?...no....but it is hardly good..... peace

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »

In my book the best performance ever of You Could be Mine was in Rio de Janeiro, January 23, 1991. Axl misses some lines because he has got problems with his microphone, and Izzy sings them. And he also misses some lines because (probably) he still hadn't memorized all the lyrics (it was only the second ever live performance of the song). But since Axl is great, he manages to make it sound even better. And, most important, the passion. This version has IT, loads of. Band was happy onstage. Band was actually crazy onstage, that was the biggest show of Guns n' Roses to date. They were in heaven that night. Please try and listen to it. And please watch the video. You will love it.

Luciano

HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:25:27 PM »

Dude, I usually agree with most of the things that you post.....especially when talking about Axl's voice....but there are a MILLION better performances of YCBM....a million......his voice was a bit gone during most of this show....I have this at home as well as a million others that are better.....does it suck?...no....but it is hardly good..... peace

See, I think his voice sounds raw - in a good way. It fits the song. Compare his current "Yow" (which sounds like a high-pitched squeal) to the lion's roar he lets out here, it's amazing. Right after he says "Think we've seen that movie toooo - OOWWWWW!" That's awesome IMO.

And yeah the rhythm section doesn't sound as perfect as at other performances or as perfect as it is today, but that's just straight-up gritty rock n' roll - messy and NOT perfect. If anything I think the new band's flaw is that they sound too perfect at times - it works for the newer songs but some of the old songs benefit from being played kind of sloppy.
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 06:22:06 PM »

I loved the days when the drums were played right.  yes 

Yes its gritty and evil though.
TheMole
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »

Lol, don't try to make this look like I'm not into old-school RnR.

I too started as (solely) a fan of the old band and have seen practically every show worth mentioning of them. This performance to me, instrumentally, doesn't live up to the old band's status quo in those days. I'm not comparing this to the new band: I'm only comparing the old band to itself at other moments times ? and in this context (instrumentally) this isn't "kick ass" or "old school" at all IMHO...

-PEACE-

Nonono, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is a smashing performance, and I didn't think you were comparing to the old band. Sorry if it came accross like I was diminishing your love for the old band, not at all. All I was saying was: it's rock n' roll, not rocket science, there's bound to be some sloppy playing and some rougher sounding performances. As long as the musicians are into it, it's ok for me, it's fun to watch.
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 08:51:27 AM »

In my book the best performance ever of You Could be Mine was in Rio de Janeiro, January 23, 1991. Axl misses some lines because he has got problems with his microphone, and Izzy sings them. And he also misses some lines because (probably) he still hadn't memorized all the lyrics (it was only the second ever live performance of the song). But since Axl is great, he manages to make it sound even better. And, most important, the passion. This version has IT, loads of. Band was happy onstage. Band was actually crazy onstage, that was the biggest show of Guns n' Roses to date. They were in heaven that night. Please try and listen to it. And please watch the video. You will love it.

Luciano

Then you need to see more live versions of YCBM because the one in RIO 2 was probably the worst.....without a doubt

Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

See, I think his voice sounds raw - in a good way. It fits the song. Compare his current "Yow" (which sounds like a high-pitched squeal) to the lion's roar he lets out here, it's amazing. Right after he says "Think we've seen that movie toooo - OOWWWWW!" That's awesome IMO.

And yeah the rhythm section doesn't sound as perfect as at other performances or as perfect as it is today, but that's just straight-up gritty rock n' roll - messy and NOT perfect. If anything I think the new band's flaw is that they sound too perfect at times - it works for the newer songs but some of the old songs benefit from being played kind of sloppy.

He does that ooowww howling thing (that only he can do) the same or better in 92 and ESPECIALLY 92 versions of that song...I have a ton of them....I do see your point....but I wasn't talking about how he does it now...I really don't think that the song has the same bite now as it used to live...... peace

Wolfpac
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:48 PM »

I like the video 'welcome to mcdoogle's' that's on the side link..... Never seen it before...
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 07:37:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRRH_WODuI&mode=related&search=

This is the rio performance that was mentioned above.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »

^ hehe the reactions on that link... it was Axl's fault the mic broke, that's what you get when you drop it Tongue? It dropped when he was taking off his jacket and he let go of the mic standard too soon. And Slash/Izzy/Duff saw it falling too.

Izzy singing is cool like the usual Cool
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: