Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Will Chinese Democracy be nominated for a Grammy?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Chinese Democracy be nominated for a Grammy?  (Read 26016 times)
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: August 24, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »

It's my understanding that CD could be eligible for the next Grammy Awards.

Would be awesome to see CD get the recognition [I think] it deserves!   Smiley

Does anybody know when the nominees for the next Grammy will be announced?

Stavanger-rock-city!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

I don't think it's for a couple months at least.  When are the grammy's anyway?  February?  I remember last year Chinese Democracy was already out when the grammy nominations were being made, but it wasn't released before the cutoff date to be eligible.  So, yes, it is my understanding that it would be eligible this year.  I wonder what category they'd fit under.  As Jethro Tull was once considered "metal" by the Grammy's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »

I don't think it's for a couple months at least.  When are the grammy's anyway?  February?  I remember last year Chinese Democracy was already out when the grammy nominations were being made, but it wasn't released before the cutoff date to be eligible.  So, yes, it is my understanding that it would be eligible this year.  I wonder what category they'd fit under.  As Jethro Tull was once considered "metal" by the Grammy's.

According to norwegian wiki-page it's held February each year.

If it was up to me, CD would be nominated in the following categories:

- Best Hard Rock Performance
- Best Rock Song
(Prostitute)
- Best Rock Album
- Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical

beer

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »

Agreed but we will see if these people will do the same thing as the dam radio people did with CD and hell yeah nominate it for a couple of gramies CD deserves it peace

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:14:16 AM »

Agreed but we will see if these people will do the same thing as the dam radio people did with CD and hell yeah nominate it for a couple of gramies CD deserves it peace

The votes and nominees aren't supposed to have anything to do with record-sales and popularity. So in a perfect world, they simply can't ignore it!  Smiley

From Wiki:

"Record companies and individuals may submit recording to be nominated. The entries are entered online and then a physical copy of the product must be sent to the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Once a work is entered, reviewing sessions are held by over 150 experts from the recording industry. This is done only to determine whether or not a work is eligible or entered into the proper category for official nomination. They may vote to nominate in the general field (Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Best New Artist) and in no more than nine out of 30 other fields on their ballots."

Stavanger-rock-city!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »

Yeah the grammy's have absolutely nothing to do with record sales.  It's not a popularity contest.  That's why Britney Spears and the likes don't win album of the year, even though they may have the sales to back that up.

I remember years ago Herbie Hancock won album of the year and his album hadn't sold well at all till that point.  Then he won the grammy and sales for the album skyrocketed.  Sometimes people need to be told what's good and what they should buy.  A grammy helps give some legitimacy.  Not sure if it'll play out that way with GNR.  Would be nice though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

um.....no.

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

there's a better chance of slash returning to gn'r than Chinese being nominated for a grammy.

Music alone won't give you a grammy and chinese democracy was so badly promoted no one even knows it came out, and the majority of those who know, don't care.

it's just we the fans that keep pushin cd to everyone's ears.

Chinese Democracy!
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »

It would be fucked up, but not surprising it it didn't receive any nominations. After all, isn't Axl the Herbie Hancock of rock?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

um.....no.
You could very well be correct, and I assume you don't think it SHOULD be nominated either.  Just curious, out of the categories listed above, what albums would you think should be nominated.  Not trying to be a dick, just trying to gauge the competition.

- Best Hard Rock Performance
- Best Rock Song (Prostitute)
- Best Rock Album
- Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical

For the record, Rock Song and Performance may be a bit of a stretch.  Not that I don't think they have the ability to win either, but I think Best Rock Album would be the most likely if anything.

Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »

there's a better chance of slash returning to gn'r than Chinese being nominated for a grammy.

Music alone won't give you a grammy and chinese democracy was so badly promoted no one even knows it came out, and the majority of those who know, don't care.

it's just we the fans that keep pushin cd to everyone's ears.

Ask your friends if they have heard of Georg Solti... Nobody? Hmm...that's strange.... Cause he must have had one helluva promotion-team behind him since he's the one who's won the most Grammys (38 in all)

Winning a Grammy has nothing to do with how well you album is promoted.

Stavanger-rock-city!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

From Wiki:

Record companies and individuals may submit recording to be nominated.

I kinda doubt Interscope/Universal Music in the USA will do that....

They must be busy with Lady Gaga and the Pussycat Dolls.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »

From Wiki:

/jarmo

But I guess if the GNR-camp wants CD to be considered for a Grammy by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (or whoever does that part), there's most likely a way to get it done. 

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »

From Wiki:

/jarmo

But I guess if the GNR-camp wants CD to be considered for a Grammy by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (or whoever does that part), there's most likely a way to get it done. 

I'm sure they'll handle this with the usual care and professionalism we've come to expect from them.

According to grammy.com, Recording Academy-members can submit entries. And since Azoff has a lot of years experience in the buisness, I bet he knows some people who know some people...  ok

So no worries about CD being entered. It's the "which-they-consider-worthy-of-recognition"-part that has to go our way!   Wink

Stavanger-rock-city!!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »

Nop. No Video Clip, No Promotion, no, no,. no.. NOTHING.

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
SMFS
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

I believe that Chinese Democracy deserves a Grammy nod, but it will not happen.

1. Axl won't show up to accept the award

-This is the number one reason. There's just nothing in it for the Grammys to nominate Axl. He's not going to show up, so why bother honoring him.

2. This album is a non-entity in the U.S.

-It gets zero airply. It doesn't chart. No videos. No promotion. No tour. No band photo. It's a ghost.

It's too bad, really - Grammy recognition could really kickstart this album.

Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 02:44:24 PM »

I believe that Chinese Democracy deserves a Grammy nod, but it will not happen.

1. Axl won't show up to accept the award

-This is the number one reason. There's just nothing in it for the Grammys to nominate Axl. He's not going to show up, so why bother honoring him.

2. This album is a non-entity in the U.S.

-It gets zero airply. It doesn't chart. No videos. No promotion. No tour. No band photo. It's a ghost.

It's too bad, really - Grammy recognition could really kickstart this album.

Seems like you got your facts a bit mixed up! You're thinking about VMA's or Teen Choice Award. That's a popularity contest!  Lips Sealed

From what I remember, other people accept Grammy-awards for winners all the time. And airplay, chart-positions, videos and promotion is in no way whatsoever a must for Grammy recognition! It's why winning a Grammy is a bigger achievment than say.... a VMA-award! It's a part of the Grammy's integrity.

Considering he showed up at the VMA's only to introduce The Killers. I'd say it's more than likely he will show up if GN'R is nominated for a Grammy!

Stavanger-rock-city!!
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

I think it would be funny as hell if CD won something and Axl made the same intro as he did at the VMAs: "Do you know where the fuck (bleeped out) you are!" Especially considered the Grammys are on national TV and the VMAs are only on MTV (which is watched by fewer people). I assume.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

CD should be album of the year, but it will not get a mention at the Grammys

tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

Seems like the Grammy nominees usually have a certain amount of buzz leading up to the nomination announcement.  Gn'R has no such buzz (as it stands now)...so I highly doubt they will be nominated (unless it is some obscure category like "best use of chicken bucket (non-classical)." 

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: