Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 11:10:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227872 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Silly question for people who live in England
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Silly question for people who live in England  (Read 3437 times)
Annie
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:31:53 PM »

Hi, I am planning a trip to London and Bronte country next month. I totally fell in love with the latest BBC production of Jane Eyre and I want to visit Haworth. It is really important to me to blend in and not look like an American. I haven't been to England in 15 years, and my question is this, Do people there wear Juicy Couture track suits? What kinds of clothes do people wear? I tend to dress like Kate Hudson and Paris Hilton so will I fit in?
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »

you dont particually need to dress up alot when your in London but if you wish to that isn't a problem, alot of people tend to wear common clothes such as Jeans & normal t-shirts & you get alot of businessmen there

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Annie
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 10:05:27 AM »

Thanks Slash 666! I am so excited about this trip! I haven't been overseas since 1995!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:55:24 AM »

Hi, I am planning a trip to London and Bronte country next month. I totally fell in love with the latest BBC production of Jane Eyre and I want to visit Haworth. It is really important to me to blend in and not look like an American. I haven't been to England in 15 years, and my question is this, Do people there wear Juicy Couture track suits? What kinds of clothes do people wear? I tend to dress like Kate Hudson and Paris Hilton so will I fit in?

"It is really important to me to blend in and not look like an American."

"I tend to dress like Kate Hudson and Paris Hilton"

Um, Kate Hudson and Paris Hilton are both Americans....

hahahahahahah, oh the irony  rofl rofl

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:49:01 AM »

If you wear a track suit, you'll fit in. With the chavs.  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »

London is one of the most cosmopolitan and eclectic cities on Earth, you'll blend in wearing pretty much anything (within reason  Grin.) I wouldn't worry about it, just go and have a good time.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »

you can wear pretty much anything in London and not be stared at. I've certainly gone through a fair few phases in my 11 years here which included some "interesting" stage wear in some former bands! wear what you want - if people judge you by what you wear, then they arent worth your time anyway. just be yourself.

The things people get annoyed about here (and anywhere I guess) is large groups standing right in the middle of pavements and haphazardly waving maps around! ?Its a busy city, so you just need to just remember to step to the side of the pavement if you need to work on directions - otherwise some smart ass will prob make a comment.

I always make a point of helping people who look lost though - and many others do also. ?London aint the cold, unfriendly city its painted to be! ?Hope you enjoy your trip here! ?peace
Annie
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:50:46 PM »

If you wear a track suit, you'll fit in. With the chavs.? Wink

/jarmo
What are chavs? I have been to London before and I loved it. Last time I was in Paris I wore my best designer clothes, and people were so much  nicer to me then when  I went right after college graduation. I am just concerned about anti- American sentiment because of our stupid president Bush whom I despise. Thanks to everyone for their replies. Ps What was the name of the club where GNR had the private acoustic show?
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »

If your in London remember not to make eye contact with people, be rude and always always rush everywhere. Can't stand still in London Town. You certainly won't get bored though.

Feel free to pay a trip to the wonderful city of Derby. We are much more well-mannered up here and there are less chavs.

-Greg

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:37:59 PM »

What are chavs?

"Chav or Charv/Charver is a mainly derogatory slang term in the United Kingdom for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as gold jewellery and 'designer' clothing. They are generally considered to have no respect for society, as well as being considered ignorant or unintelligent. The term appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005. The defining features of the stereotype include clothing in the Burberry pattern (notably a now-discontinued baseball cap) and from a variety of other casual and sportswear brands. Tracksuits, hoodies, sweatpants and baseball caps are particularly associated with this stereotype. "

Ps What was the name of the club where GNR had the private acoustic show?

Cuckoo Club.

I don't know what you're interested in, but most of the famous sights are within walking distance from each other.

You can cover Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus etc by foot.

The London Tower, St Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge etc is a bit farther away so you might wanna hop on a bus or take the tube/subway.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Annie
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 03:53:40 PM »

Thanks Jarmo. I don't think I am like a chav, I just like to be as cute as I can be. Do you know how far it is from London to the Yorkshire Dales? I know I have to take a train to Leeds then Keighly to get to Haworth.
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »

Yea, you're coming to Leeds, awesome! You should stop off there for a bit, well worth a look at the city and surrounding area, beautiful countryside! You'll most likely do London Kings Cross to Leeds which takes just over 2 hours on the train, and to keighley probably another hour on a slower train stopping off at more local stops!

That's a hatrick for Doull
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »

i went to london recently. and i thought it was a pretty cool place, i was not stared at or intimidated by anyone, not even groups of chavs, at home id get all sorts of abuse, in that place nothing.

Though some old dude pointed to his wife that a 16 year old (me) was wearing a skid row sew on patch.

i also walked past the 100 club, which was a pretty cool experience despite non of my group (all indie kids) not having a clue what it was.

Theres all sorts of cultures there, sometimes it can be a bit offensive though, like this shop run by these islamic dudes, and loads of the t-shirts were taking the piss out of the public climate on islam, which really irritated me...cause surely thats not legal?

html sucks
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »

if you don't wanna look like a complete tourist and out of place you can always dress like mrlee himself..

Shocked hihi rofl
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 09:04:21 PM »

if you don't wanna look like a complete tourist and out of place you can always dress like mrlee himself..

Shocked hihi rofl

yes....cause id completely consider that hair cut cheapjon  Roll Eyes hihi

html sucks
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »

Dude, sweet cell phone.......the only thing missing from that picture to make it 100% absolutely complete is one of those old school fanny packs you wore around your waist.  That would be sweet, especially one with like a big number 3 on it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 09:11:02 PM »

Bill!  Dammit you took my fanny pack line!  hihi

Have a wonderful trip Annie!  Take loooooads of pictures and stuff.

(But don't look like a shoob while partaking in tourist activities)
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 12:54:53 AM »

I'm an American and have been to London at least 6 times, last time in 2005. I always wear  my usual jeans and tennis  shoes and  fit right in. You can wear anything and  the city is so diverse that no one really cares. It  is like NY, so many people and cultures that no one  will really be  looking at "you."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: