Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Tuning by Ear
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuning by Ear  (Read 2534 times)
Neemo
Legend

« on: February 05, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »

I'm so proud of myself Grin ....after 12 years of playing i can finally tune the guitar without the use of a tuner!!!! beer hihi

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »

that's kinda bad hihi rofl

but congrats and i'm so happy for ya beer
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:47:49 PM »

haha  Grin

yeah well i never bothered to try and do it cuz i've always had a tuner with me...but my buddy has a guitar and he took it out for me to play with when i go there...but he doesnt havea tuner and it was really badly out of tune....so i put it back but i couldnt sit there and jsut look at it so i tried to tune it by ear and i surprised myself hihi

then before the SB a different buddy had his guitar out and it was terrible too he was showing me what he learned how to play and i was like "ouch" so i took it and tuned his too...anyway i was all excited.

I'm at a point now where things are just coming to me, on guitar so its just fun to play right now for me Cheesy

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »

haha  Grin

yeah well i never bothered to try and do it cuz i've always had a tuner with me...but my buddy has a guitar and he took it out for me to play with when i go there...but he doesnt havea tuner and it was really badly out of tune....so i put it back but i couldnt sit there and jsut look at it so i tried to tune it by ear and i surprised myself hihi

then before the SB a different buddy had his guitar out and it was terrible too he was showing me what he learned how to play and i was like "ouch" so i took it and tuned his too...anyway i was all excited.

I'm at a point now where things are just coming to me, on guitar so its just fun to play right now for me Cheesy
i can only harmonic tune mainly, if its totally out i get rather lost.

html sucks
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »

^ well i gotta really loosen the one string then bring it back...otherwise i cant hear the differences in resonation....its prolly not a standard tuning or anything but good enough that the strings are all in tune with each other.

i do the 5th fret above and open below way of tuning...havent tried the harmonics way yet...sounds like fun though, maybe i'll try that next time ok

(i'm assuming its done at the 12fret? Undecided )

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »

^ well i gotta really loosen the one string then bring it back...otherwise i cant hear the differences in resonation....its prolly not a standard tuning or anything but good enough that the strings are all in tune with each other.

i do the 5th fret above and open below way of tuning...havent tried the harmonics way yet...sounds like fun though, maybe i'll try that next time ok

(i'm assuming its done at the 12fret? Undecided )

i do it on 5th fret, as a bass player.

basically you lightly touch the string, and then pick it, get a good ring on the 7th fret below the string your tuning, then while its ringing, quickly do the same to the 5th fret on the string you are tuning, listen to the sound waves go in and out, the faster they are, the more out of tune it is, keep making them slower till they do it no more.

html sucks
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:30:09 PM »

after 12 years? hihi

But yeah, I'm pretty much at that point now, after playing for 14 months now. I just gotta memorize those damn modes  hihi
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:34:19 PM »

after 12 years? hihi

But yeah, I'm pretty much at that point now, after playing for 14 months now. I just gotta memorize those damn modes  hihi

im currently doing modes n scales right now...its hard to remember lol!

html sucks
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »

after 12 years? hihi

im currently doing modes n scales right now...its hard to remember lol!

yeah, the i memorized like all the notes in each key, but now i have to memorize which notes make up which mode.  hihi so damn difficult
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »

after 12 years? hihi

But yeah, I'm pretty much at that point now, after playing for 14 months now. I just gotta memorize those damn modes? hihi

no i played for a while then put it up cuz i plateaued. then i pick it up every once in a while to mess around then put it down...then pick it up and improve by leaps and bounds,,,the taper off again...etc etc

this is one of those times where everythign just constantly seems to fall into place for me....i can learns songs in a couple hours...i can sing and play at the same time (even if i cant sing worth a shit) i finally managed to be able to tune by ear...it just goes on

also i didnt start playing until i was 19 so its been a bit slower process for me than for a younger person...hard to teach old dogs new tricks or so they say hihi peace

i know a few scales but mostly i just learn tunes that i like...so i barely touched scales and modes...one of those things i wanna do at some point. Undecided

greendog
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 06:42:21 AM »

when you hold the 5th fret, pluck it, if it is in tune, the string below will vibrate on its own because it is the same note.  beer
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: