Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Tommy Stinson - US tour, Jan - Apr 2005 info & reviews [updated March 4]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy Stinson - US tour, Jan - Apr 2005 info & reviews [updated March 4]  (Read 42929 times)
Eternal Flaming Sword of Death...
Rocker

What happened?

« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2005, 07:00:09 PM »

anyone have the setlist for any of these show?

Huh

Behold, the evil that men do...
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2005, 07:38:49 PM »

This is the setlist of the Lexington show (thanks to Doc Hockey at colormeimpressed.com)

1. Makes Me Happy
2. Seven Days A Week
3. Moment Too Soon
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5. Without A View
6. Future Boy (Turin Brakes cover)
7. Light Of Day
8. ?
9. Sometimes
10. One Man Guy (Loudon Wainwright cover)
11. Nothing
12. ?
13. Hey You
14. Someday
15. ?(Big Star cover)
16. Alternative Monkey

All shows are usually a variation of that list, with mainly the covers changing. It's the first time I hear about him covering "Crazy little thing called love" though, I'd like to hear that. Assuming we're talking about the Queen song of course.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2005, 08:40:52 PM »

All shows are usually a variation of that list, with mainly the covers changing. It's the first time I hear about him covering "Crazy little thing called love" though, I'd like to hear that. Assuming we're talking about the Queen song of course.

Didnt elvis or someone orginally do that song??
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2005, 12:34:42 PM »

Didnt elvis or someone orginally do that song??

Maybe he did a song of the same name, but the Queen song was written by Freddie Mercury (it says so in the booklet).

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2005, 01:51:21 PM »

From: http://www.gsusignal.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/02/18/42102841e7acb

The Mats Seem To Live On
Tommy Stinson Packs Smith's Olde Bar

ADAM MCLAIN
February 18, 2005

Ex-Replacements member Tommy Stinson was eleven in 1978 when his older brother Bob, fresh out of a youth reform camp, bought him an amp and a bass to keep him off the streets at night. Bob was a somewhat accomplished guitarist who jammed in his mother?s basement four or five hours a day with his friend Chris Mars on drums, and the two soon asked Tommy to join them.

Going under the name Dogbreath, the trio played parties around Minneapolis and continued playing Mrs. Stinson?s basement until one fateful afternoon in 1979, when the barely employed son of a local Cadillac salesman named Paul Westerberg heard the group while walking home and knocked on the Stinson?s door. Soon the band had a new name and had been signed to Twin/Tone records. They showed up so drunk for their first gig- at an alcohol free coffee house- that they were thrown out and thought they would never play again. This particular facet of the band would haunt them until the end, as booze and drugs began to become the fuel that drove them to ever new creative highs.

Over a string of hard rocking albums like Stink, Hootenanny, Pleased to Meet Me, and their masterpiece Let it Be, the band developed a reputation for insane and unpredictable live shows and a dangerous lifestyle that kept things in constant jeopardy. All the while Tommy Stinson was barely in his teens and already drinking heavily, while his older brother Bob and band leader Westerberg had developed reputations as the hardest drinking musicians in the business. The band split in 1991 and Westerberg went on to a stellar career as a solo artist. Mars fell out of sight and Bob Stinson died of an overdose in 1995. Tommy moved to L.A. and played in various bands throughout the 1990s.

Village Gorilla Head is Stinson?s first solo offering under his own name and a spotty record at best. Westerberg?s influence on young Tommy is obvious, and the best moments on the record are when Stinson faithfully mimics his mentor. The songs aren?t bad, just predictable. He can?t seem to shake the ex-Replacements thing, even looking a bit like a younger Westerberg in dress and stage persona. This isn?t a terrible thing, as Westerberg puts on one of the best live shows in the history of rock. He would be better on a bad day than most anyone else on a good, and Stinson faithfully mimics this by putting on one hell of a show. He didn?t disappoint on stage despite the rather weak album he just put out, tearing through a string of electric and acoustic songs that were upbeat and shone far brighter under the lights of Smithe?s than on a little silver disc.

For the crowd that came last night it could have been the old 688 club in 1985. Among the local rock royalty gathered were members of Drivin n? Cryin and the Nightporters, and Rick Richards of the Georgia Satellites. The audience, many of whom knew him personally from his ?Mats days, were terrific, heckling Stinson while he jammed through his solo material and a couple of well placed covers. Halfway through the show he hopped off the stage, guitar in hand, and clambered over to the bar for a bourbon shot, leading a sing along to Rufus Wainwright?s One Man Guy while the crowd clapped along. It was comforting to see that Stinson hasn?t lost his penchant for booze.

Having been recently tapped to play bass in the reformed Guns n? Roses on their upcoming album and European tour, Stinson?s star seems to be rising again. His solo offering is a bit weak, but the live show more than makes up for it. It isn?t Let it Be, and Tommy isn?t Paul Westerberg, but with the ?Mats gone for good you have to take what you can get.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
DemocracyRose
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2005, 01:56:49 PM »

Tommy update...

From www.tommystinson.com:

FEB. 18 The latest leg of the VGH tour as wrapped up. Look for Tommy to play Los Angeles March 4th at the Hotel Cafe and then a few dates in April up the West Coast with Alien Crime Syndicate.

I guess Tommy stays close to Axl in the next few month...

And no european tour for Tommy.
gigger
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2005, 02:02:20 PM »

Tommy update...

From www.tommystinson.com:

FEB. 18 The latest leg of the VGH tour as wrapped up. Look for Tommy to play Los Angeles March 4th at the Hotel Cafe and then a few dates in April up the West Coast with Alien Crime Syndicate.

I guess Tommy stays close to Axl in the next few month...

And no european tour for Tommy.

It is good news as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully the band will be jamming together for the next few weeks with one eye on touring this summer.

But that's a big hopefully!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2005, 08:21:40 AM »

Just added a new date : April 23rd in Long Beach.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2005, 01:25:07 PM »

Pics of Tommy's show in Atlanta:

Tommy Stinson in Concert - February 7, 2005
February 7, 2005 - Smith's Olde Bar
Atlanta, Georgia United States

wireimage.com

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »

Hey, I'm in the picture where he is on the bar...pic 5...closest to him to his right...1st pic of the second row. Grin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 02:03:33 PM by madagas » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »

I was wondering if that could be somebody from the board when I saw the pics.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2005, 03:26:45 PM »

i didnt want to make a new thread but I heard something at the Hotel Cafe Tommy show that I hope means nothing.  He made a comment kidding around that said he was a god or something.  Then he said he wouldnt want to be a god because that would be too much pressure.  Then he said " I didnt even like it when I was in a band that people thought was a god"  ... I hope he didnt mean gnr.  I'm trying not to read into it.  Anyone else there hear it?  It was a kick ass show though.  I love his music and he puts on an amazing show.  He did a few songs while standing on top of the bar with no mic and no amp.  People started singing along with the song one man guy?  or something like that.  I never heard it before but it was a cool song. 
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2005, 10:51:38 AM »

I guess he means Paul. He always mentions him like that.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2005, 06:04:26 PM »

i didnt want to make a new thread but I heard something at the Hotel Cafe Tommy show that I hope means nothing.  He made a comment kidding around that said he was a god or something.  Then he said he wouldnt want to be a god because that would be too much pressure.  Then he said " I didnt even like it when I was in a band that people thought was a god"  ... I hope he didnt mean gnr.  I'm trying not to read into it.  Anyone else there hear it?  It was a kick ass show though.  I love his music and he puts on an amazing show.  He did a few songs while standing on top of the bar with no mic and no amp.  People started singing along with the song one man guy?  or something like that.  I never heard it before but it was a cool song. 

I think we has refearing to paul and the replacements I hope anyway
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

The L.A show was almost entirely filmed, so hopefully we'll be able to check soon if you heard and interpreted right Wink

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2005, 12:31:46 AM »

I'd say he would not use the word 'was' in reference to GN'R.  Don't worry. Wink
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2005, 07:30:18 AM »

Those who like bootlegs and don't check the Appetite for collection section might be interested in the two shows I put up on easytree :
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=19213.0

Enjoy and distribute freely  beer

chineseilusions
Sweet home Alabama
VIP

Now that's a llama

« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2005, 05:52:14 PM »

Anyone going to the show tomorrow?
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2005, 12:47:44 PM »

no one heading for the show?  Cry
The weekend kicks off! Hope we wil get any words from Tommy!  Kiss

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2005, 07:52:10 PM »

How about someone be like Hey Tommy cut the bullshit is it ever coming out? Like you said finishing touches before and well Richards on tour in September. And it doesnt even seem on the horizon. So why dont you comment or get the fucking redhead to stop t reating his fans like shit and fuckng release a statement, last time i check a couple montsh wasnt a year.

Fuck All Y'all
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: