Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stopping the Greatest Hits album
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping the Greatest Hits album  (Read 120224 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2004, 12:27:23 PM »

Just had a scary thought though.

The "insiders" told us to keep our eyes open during the next weeks.

And what appeared? A Greatest Hits CD.

Maybe they just took the "signals" wrong and this is seriously what was in their plans.

From my side, that's exactly true.  The person I talk to (and the one who paged me when she got the PR) was hearing rumblings that a PR (with nothing more specific than that) was about to be released from Geffen in regards to GnR. She heard this in late January, and that the PR would hit "soon".  We both assumed (since this was before the GH rumblings began) that it had to do with CD.  We were both wrong.  The PR released today, from what she's hearing, is exactly the PR that was being talked about.  So, for me, this was exactly what I had heard was in the pipline.  Wish I had better news than that...

Someone, in an earlier thread, asked me straight out, when the GH rumors started, if that was what we were hearing about and I acknowledged the possibility that it was.  I can now say, without hesitation, that, unfortunately, it is.
Sad

Edit: Oh, and I'm not an "insider" by any means...not that you were necessarily reffering to me.  I have friends in music retail, as well as in the radio world, due to a previous employer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:36:55 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #301 on: February 19, 2004, 01:24:09 PM »

Maybe it's time to lock this thread now when Geffen have released the press release?  hihi

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Death Cube K
« Reply #302 on: February 19, 2004, 01:36:20 PM »

I didnt have you in mind, but I did know you had certain "contacts".

But I guess this means our own little "machinery" is working very well. We knew something was coming and we've known it for quite some time now. I dont think Axl got news about this earlier than we did.  

Everyone just asumed it was Chinese Democracy, and not this crappy thing.

If this goes for the more "powerfull" insiders I dont know, but from my point of view, it certainly makes a lot of sense.

I also think it's funny how Johan posted a thread about it and got bashed out of the galaxy for it.

Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #303 on: February 19, 2004, 04:49:10 PM »

Maybe it's time to lock this thread now when Geffen have released the press release?  hihi

If Axl does sue Geffen, maybe we won't have to.

I was just looking over the track listing again...FIVE covers?  That's way too much for a greatest hits, especially for GN'R, who have so many great original songs.  I think Guns are not a band suited for a greatest hits...the original albums are so strong.  And many of their hits were ballads...too many ballads can weigh down an album, as they might with a greatest hits.
slashman91
Opening Act

slash one of the many guitar gods

« Reply #304 on: February 19, 2004, 06:15:11 PM »

let's stop this fucker before it destroys gnr .what kind of bastered would do this Huh

same shit different day
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2004, 12:35:14 AM »

We got a mention on my local rock station (106.9 WCCC) last night during the music minute (HTGTH got one too).  I sent the links to the story to one of the jocks I talk to regularly, and last night one of the other jocks talked about GH, the protest, and Axl possibly suing.  Not sure that I had anything to do with that, since it looks like the story is making the rounds of the major music media outlets....
you its kinda funny the amount of publicity we are generating for GNR...and still those fuckers don care bout giving us an official update!! no

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
IndiannaRose
VIP

AiN'T iT FuN WhEn YoU KnOw YoU'Re GoNnA DiE YoUnG

« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2004, 12:39:09 AM »

Guns N' Lawsuit?

by Josh Grossberg
Feb 18, 2004, 1:30 PM PT

As Guns N' Roses continues to toil in the studio on the forever-awaited comeback album Chinese Democracy, Geffen Records has announced plans to release a Greatest Hits compilation featuring 14 of the head-banging band's classic tunes on March 23.

Apparently, such news hasn't gone over too well with frontman Axl Rose, who controls the band.

Sources tell Billboard that Guns N' Roses is considering suing the label to block the distribution of Greatest Hits package, claiming Geffen never obtained permission to release the collection.

The album would contain tracks from the band's late-'80s/early-'90s heyday, including as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City," "Patience" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the Interview with a Vampire soundtrack.

Calls to the group's rep and Geffen were not immediately returned.

Rose, whose appetite for perfection has led to multiple postponements of Chinese Democracy, the band's first studio album in over a decade, isn't the only upset by the pending best-of CD.

A group of fans is going to great lengths to persuade Universal Music Group, which owns Geffen, not to put out the Greatest Hits. The disgruntled fans have launched an online petition at heretodaygonetohell.com expressing dismay with the song selection ("there are stronger tracks in their catalog that are not included") and arguing that such a release could cannibalize sales of Chinese Democracy.

This isn't the first time Geffen's cobbled together a "new" Guns N' Roses release in recent years. To keep interest in the band from waning, the label has plundered the GNR archives compiling material from the previously released home videos Welcome to the Videos and the two-volume Use Your Illusion for two DVDs.

Rose, the lone original member remaining in the lineup, has struggled to keep the group alive, hiring a bunch of new sidemen, including avant-garde guitar whiz Buckethead.

The newly revamped GNR hit the road to much fanfare in 2002 with the Chinese Democracy tour--the band's first in more than a decade. But things quickly deteriorated and the tour was scrapped midway through with no real reason given (though sources close to the band's management say Axl's backstage antics, including an alleged brawl with his manager, may have been the cause).

That concert meltdown came after the band sparked a riot on the opening night of the tour in Vancouver when frontman Rose failed to turn up.

After taking a break from touring in 2003, the Gunners are scheduled to regroup for a May 30 gig at the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival in Lisbon, Portugal.

Still no word when Chinese Democracy will finally hit record stores.

Source: http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,13521,00.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:41:22 AM by IndiannaRose » Logged
GnRz
Headliner

« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2004, 01:45:42 AM »

Hi all I'm new here

All I can say is Cheers beer to all the fans speaking thier mind whether it's writing on this message board or writing to the record company personally. This story has got nation wide attention , I am here in Ohio and I heard it on the local Radio Station. I also plan to write a letter cause I would personally like to see some new material by the band rather than just a greatest hits CD. If we can't stop it maybe we can change it. ok

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:19:53 PM by GnRz » Logged
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2004, 04:32:51 AM »

i have seen allready a promo CD from GH. so it might come out for sure. as its a big rip-off just dont support it!

i have made a vcd short clip "against" that cd release, you can check it in the hub.

Limulus

Re-Union time, baby!!
Pandora
Collector extraordinaire
Legend

« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2004, 06:16:12 AM »

Yeah, I've seen the promo too. But it doesn't really mean anything (well, not 100%). Lots of "Beautiful disease" promo CDs were sent to the media, and it didn't stop the record company from cancelling the release.

Got my attitude and my shiny shoes.....
BostonGunner
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2004, 06:26:28 AM »

I hope that the greatest hits does not come out.  However, there are some pluses to a GN'R greatest hits.

1. It may generate new fans.  Some people may pick it up for a few of the big hits and then go on to buy the entire catalogue.
2. It will put GN'R in the news again.

But the big minus is:

- Some people may buy the greatest hits in Lieu of the studio albums.  Potential fans will never hear "Estranged," "Coma" and other great songs. Cry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 06:27:57 AM by BostonGunner » Logged
marcos
Opening Act

hold me

« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »

has anyone started an apology thread to that guy jonah, i mean everyone ripped him a new asshole repeatedly (mysteron included) and it turns out that he was either 100% honest or lucky
marcos
Opening Act

hold me

« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2004, 12:26:32 PM »

i meant johan
angel fish
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2004, 03:14:43 PM »

how do we know there is any truth to all of the stories of the past few days,has any body seen the press release from geffen coz i aint.no word from axl!no word from sanctuary.mabey people are taking the piss out of true gnr fans,they dislike us coz we have taste and values plus we have a real god in axl not that great man in the sky Huh
GnRz
Headliner

« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »

what truth do any of us have that axl did not ok the release of gh Huh

your guess is as good as mine I'm just supporting the new material issue, If axl did agree on the release and he see's this chat board maybe he'll see the fans want the new material and be more quicker to release some new stuff.   hihi
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »

Columbia House took the Greatest Hits off their site. Not sure if that means anything but I thought it was interesting.
GnRz
Headliner

« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

Does anyone know , Is this supposed to be a UK release only? All ads I've seen have said from the UK,
 Undecided  

« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:43:13 PM by GnRz » Logged
Luckyme
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2004, 09:21:28 AM »

I don't see it on Amazon, either?  
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2004, 09:42:58 AM »

Here come the "Big Guns" baby!
citizen_dick
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2004, 09:47:48 AM »

I joined this board just for this reason - record co.s suck, and they'll use any excuse to make a buck off of one of their bands.

On the whole, a 'Best of...' G'n'R album would please me - BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE WORTH IT!

All my G'n'R is on Vinyl, and I like to keep that Vinyl in mint condition. I'd like some of their stuff on CD so that I can have it on my iPod & around the house.
I think that the record co. & band could get together & do what Slayer have done with their 'Soundtrack To The Appocolypse' boxset - How good would that be?!

I'll write a mail to the guy at the record co to point out their failings, but if it goes ahead - and lets face it, it might - then I just hope it's as good as it can be.
It'd have to be a double CD at the very least.

Good luck everyone with your mails!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: