Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Axl's Psychological problems a factor? Asperger's Syndrome (kind of autism)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl's Psychological problems a factor? Asperger's Syndrome (kind of autism)  (Read 4644 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« on: December 22, 2004, 09:27:44 AM »

Trying to understand AXL.

"A BRAIN disorder explains his erratic behaviour . . . Craig Nicholls of The Vines.
Rock and a hard place

THE future of rock group The Vines appeared in jeopardy six months ago when a homecoming gig led to frontman Craig Nicholls being charged with assault and malicious damage.

What none of the band's fans or critics knew, as his increasingly erratic behaviour escalated to its zenith at Sydney's Annandale Hotel on May 27, was that Nicholls suffers from Asperger's Syndrome.

The international promotional and touring campaign for the band's much-anticipated second album, Winning Days, came to an immediate halt after Nicholls kicked a photographer's camera during the first song. He also abused bass player Patrick Matthews, who left the stage and the venue by the third song.

A report on the songwriter's medical condition by a leading authority on Asperger's Syndrome, Professor Tony Attwood, led to the charges being dismissed last week.

Nicholls' relief mirrored that experienced by those close to him when he finally was diagnosed with the developmental disorder, which is linked to autism, in August.

All felt it was now time to reveal why one of the most successful Australian rock artists on the international scene in 20 yearshasn't been able to cope with success and its demands. Craig's older brother Matt says he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him.

"When I told him we were going to tell people about the diagnosis he said, 'I don't give a f---. They call me mental now so it doesn't matter what people call me'."

As for Nicholls, he's now happy at home, able to focus on his beloved music and doing demos of new songs with his band members ? Matthews, drummer Hamish Rosser and guitarist Ryan Griffiths ? for The Vines' third album.

Nicholls' unpredictability has left thousands of fans who have been to The Vines' gigs exhilarated, astonished to watch a classic rock 'n' roll maverick in full flight. And there were gigs when Nicholls would scream utter gibberish instead of singing lyrics, destroy his own and other band members' equipment, hurl abuse and seem totally uninterested in rendering songs from their multimillion- selling debut album, Highly Evolved.

In those moments, some felt disappointment. Critics dismissed Nicholls as an arrogant and indulgent rock star. His family and bandmates and the Winterman and Goldstein management team ? Andy Cassell, Andy Kelly and Pete Lusty ? knew that getting professional help for the troubled songwriter was imperative after the Annandale incident.

Says Lusty: "From the day we met Craig, we realised he was unique. We were always trying to work out how to deal with it, how to make his situation as comfortable as we could."

His difficulty with touring became immediately evident when the up-and-coming rock four-piece secured a support slot on a You Am I national tour. The singer suffered a "panic attack" the night before the tour and told the band and managers he couldn't go through with it.

"His parents had worked very hard with Craig, trying to help him and find out what his issues were and get treatment," Lusty says. "We did the same thing when we started with him and sought professional help for him straightaway. We would take turns driving him to psychiatrists and psychologists. But Craig was unco-operative sometimes. No one would pick up on it. They would say he had a sore back or was afraid of flying or nervous about the tour. We kept saying there was something more to it."

Some put his conduct down to his use of marijuana. But Cassell says, with the benefit of hindsight, there was a pattern to Nicholls' behaviour. In the studio, he would be in his element, realising his only and oft-repeated ambition to "record amazing studio albums".

The demands of a professional music career increased as the band exploded, first in the UK, then the US and Australia.

xxxxx

WHAT IS ASPERGER'S SYNDROME?
PEOPLE with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) have their brains wired differently, according to Professor Tony Attwood, who diagnosed Craig Nicholls in August.

He says AS sufferers have difficulties with social interaction and are highly stressed by changes to their environment.

"They are not intellectually impaired but they are very, very shy and confused in the social world. They can be acutely sensitive to certain noises, tastes and texture," he says.

Experts have speculated that Mozart, Bartok, Einstein and Newton had characteristics of Asperger's Syndrome.

This was the first Australian band to make the cover of US Rolling Stone in 20 years. But the more success the band achieved, the more stress Nicholls and his bandmates came under.

Kelly says: "In the middle of all of that was when it was most obvious Craig was unique. A lot of people in that situation would take advantage of becoming famous but he didn't."

When the band finished touring for Highly Evolved, Nicholls settled down again. He was happy and excited during the recording of Winning Days, surrounded by his beloved nature in upstate New York. Yet when they hit the road again for a major US tour and talkfest, he steadily became more abusive.

He also was socially withdrawn, obviously uncomfortable in the crowded backstage after gigs and would retreat to the tour bus to be alone with his guitar and four-track recording equipment.

Says Cassell: "When they got to the UK and Europe, it started getting hard again, really hard, and by the time the Annandale show happened, we realised he couldn't handle the stress any more."

The triggers for his outbursts over the past four years often were bizarre. Kelly recalls Nicholls' explanation for trashing a studio set while rehearsing for their performance on The Jay Leno Show in December 2002.

"He told me afterwards he had been hungry. He said, 'You know I have to eat before we do things like that'. He was saying, 'I am not happy with this situation', but he wasn't able to verbalise why that was," he says.

Nicholls craves routine and privacy. He drinks only Coca-Cola and eats McDonald's or similar fast food. He constantly inquires as to the whereabouts of his skateboard while on tour.

But most of all, he is obsessive about his music. Growing up, it was skateboarding and martial arts.

His brother Matt says Nicholls has excelled at the creative and sporting endeavours he enjoys.

Matt says: "The freaky thing is he has always been good at what he's done. When he was skateboarding, there were plenty of companies wanting to sponsor him. He's totally focused on music and making what he calls important records and getting better and better at it. That's all that matters to him. When you strip away all the bulls--t of the past few years, some nightmare performances or arguments, there are two unreal albums. That's what stands up."

With The Vines pulled off the road in May, his managers devoted themselves to uncovering what was wrong.

Kelly recalls Nicholls' guitar technician, Tony Bateman, mentioning the possibility of Asperger's Syndrome ? a type of autism spectrum disorder ? in relation to the musician's behaviour.

They researched the brain disorder, read Mark Haddon's novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, about a 15-year-old boy with Asperger's Syndrome, and reflected on other aspects of his behaviour ? lack of eye contact, unwillingness to be touched and the strange accent many journalists accused him of putting on.

They also recall the child-like letter he wrote to them when he supplied the first Vines demos and how he had already drawn the artwork that would feature on the CD cover of Highly Evolved. In June, Cassell contacted Professor Tony Attwood, who agreed to meet Nicholls, his family and the managers.

After several tests and meetings, Attwood confirmed that Nicholls was suffering from the disorder.

Says Matt: "It's a relief knowing what it is, what to expect. It's been pretty difficult for the family. There have been hard times and we still worry about him. Things aren't ever going to be perfect."

The Vines' managers, on advice from Attwood, say the band will never undertake an extensive tour again. The occasional show is possible and Nicholls wants to perform but taking an Asperger's sufferer out of their routine or comfortable environment puts extraordinary stress on them. The band's labels, Capitol in the US and EMI in Australia, have professed 100 per cent support for the band and will release a third album Nicholls and his bandmates are writing.

"We totally believe in The Vines and I am really excited about what Craig is writing and what it's going to be like," says EMI managing director John O'Donnell.
By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area."=> that would be rock n' roll? peace

Has anyone heard about any of the psychological problems Axl faces ? Cause Asperger's syndrome sure as hell? rings a bell.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
using my illusions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 10:03:35 AM »

shit - i think i mite have that...  smoking
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 11:04:23 AM »

axl does not have this.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 11:27:27 AM »

axl does not have this.

why not ?

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Timmy
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 04:52:38 PM »

why?

T.T.
?.?.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 05:24:11 PM »

Or.. Not.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 07:02:24 PM »

i can not say that he doesnt have this because basically i don't know shit about axl's mental state.

you can not say he does have this because, i presume, you do not know shit about axl's mental state.

its therefore pointless to discuss this as nobody here, that might actually know, is going to tell us.
awhellzno05
Headliner

Oh no! Oh no! "Oh Yeah!" - Kool Aid Man

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:52:22 PM »

I thinks it could be possable.  From what we know it seems he could have that.

The Devil hates a loser
Sterlingdog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 10:09:41 PM »

Before you decide who does or does not have this disorder, you first have to agree that it's a real disorder.  I haven't personally read the research on this one, but I think too often we look for some medical illness to explain bad behavior.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 10:36:36 PM »

csd- chronic snooze disease  Roll Eyes

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
DemocracyRose
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 04:41:25 AM »

I work with these people every day and i say, it is impossible to say, if Axl has this disease.

Why? Because you have to know and observe them for a long time...

And i dont think any of you people on this board got a chance to do that...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »

shit - i think i mite have that...  smoking
Me too, Aw gee

I?m hypochondriac. I feel like I might have the symptoms and come under the case of whatever new illness I hear. 
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 12:27:10 AM »

good god...what do we think we are?  docters?  specifically axl's docter?  No!
what' with the fixation?  I mean, he alreay confided to the public about his really tough upbringing, his apparent manic depressive diagnosis, and not to mention, he had to deal with fame in a big way.  Let's just face it: all artists are slightly "mentally abnormal" (think of the greats: Van Gogh was in a mental institution, Pollak was an alcoholic, Andy Worhol was definatly antisocial and eccentric, Weezer frontman (Cumo or whatever his name is) suffers from problems, Kurt Cobain was suicidal/depressed.....and the list goes on and on.....not to mention these young stars lose touch with "reality"....no one in thier close camp disagrees with them....all "yes" men....just look at Jacko---had a rough childhood, and was super famous, and had no one to keep him grounded (and in no way am I comparing the two)....I mean even smart people (eg. professors) are eccentric...you just can't have it all kiddos!

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 08:35:24 AM »

I mean even smart people (eg. professors) are eccentric...you just can't have it all kiddos!

Indeed. yes I often feel like I might be the only one who is still sane on earth. What a loneliness! what an isolation!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: