Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why Leave Adler on Civil War?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Leave Adler on Civil War?  (Read 10840 times)
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »

I didnt realise it was out ages for the albums.

Cheers for the info.

Im glad it was Adler on it too, he is much better than sorum.

Sorry but Adler is not and never was a better drummer than Sorum....look up what other musicians have said about each drummer and then get back to me... peace

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
yorkie81
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 06:58:24 AM »

Sorry but Adler is not and never was a better drummer than Sorum....look up what other musicians have said about each drummer and then get back to me... peace

Ok, let me re-word it. In my opinion Adler is much better than sorum. I don't care what other musicians have to say, doesn't mean I like Sorum. Adler had a better fit in GNR, Sorum = Worst Rock Perm ever. And I only paid for the Illusions in Tokyo on DVD when I already had it on video so it would be easier for me to skip the drum solo.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 03:30:44 AM »

I didnt realise it was out ages for the albums.

Cheers for the info.

Im glad it was Adler on it too, he is much better than sorum.

Slash and Duff prefer Matt, but Izzy doesn't seem too:

Replacing him with Matt Sorum for the recording of _Use_Your_Illusion_ _I_ and _II_ changed Guns N' Roses from a rock 'n' roll band into a heavy metal band. Adler's drumming made the band swing. Sorum hits hard but he plods.

"Yeah, a big musical difference. The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked.

It's just a matter of taste anyways... I prefer Steven on drums, his drum arrangements are cool and original and he's got a great groove. His drumming reminds me a bit of Roger Taylor. And then there's Matt who's drumming is boring imo, lots of times he uses the same beats and his timing is so perfect it's like a drummachine. Very stiff sounding.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:33:21 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
AxlsRoses
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 03:37:41 PM »

Yeah, a big musical difference. The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked.

I beleive this quote is taken out of context. It refers to replacing steven with fred curry (not matt sorum) and it didn't work good with fred anyway. if you find a quote with izzy refering to matt (specifically) then please post it.

Steven fit better with gn'r style. but if it wasn't for matt the band would have been over. slash and axl have both said the band wouldn't have continued if they couldn't find a drummer. so for that? ... matt is cool!

after 16 years out of the band I realize now that steven was SOOOO screwed up on drugs that is was the best thing for the band to boot him. and his his drug history from then until now proves it. even though I think his is the best drummer ever.? Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:41:06 PM by AxlsRoses » Logged
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 04:57:18 PM »

^ No it's not out of context.. here's the part and a little before and after, it's from Musician magazine '92:

"I talked to him about a month ago. The lawyers said don't because of the lawsuit, but I'd heard he was in a bad way. He said he was having a hard time stretching it for more than a day or two. Really scared me. I know how I'd feel if he did himself in and I didn't make an effort to help him. I said if he cleaned up, I'd like to cut a couple of reggae tracks with him next summer. I know he's really bitter about the whole situation. He needs to start thinking forward."

Replacing him with Matt Sorum for the recording of _Use_Your_Illusion_ _I_ and _II_ changed Guns N' Roses from a rock 'n' roll band into a heavy metal band. Adler's drumming made the band swing. Sorum hits hard but he plods.

"Yeah, a big musical difference. The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked. I would have preferred to continue with Steve, but we'd had two years off and we couldn't wait any longer. It just didn't work for Slash to be telling Steve to straighten out. He wasn't ready to clean up."

That's specific enough for me Tongue

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 05:33:46 PM »

^ No it's not out of context.. here's the part and a little before and after, it's from Musician magazine '92:

"I talked to him about a month ago. The lawyers said don't because of the lawsuit, but I'd heard he was in a bad way. He said he was having a hard time stretching it for more than a day or two. Really scared me. I know how I'd feel if he did himself in and I didn't make an effort to help him. I said if he cleaned up, I'd like to cut a couple of reggae tracks with him next summer. I know he's really bitter about the whole situation. He needs to start thinking forward."

"Yeah, a big musical difference. The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked. I would have preferred to continue with Steve, but we'd had two years off and we couldn't wait any longer. It just didn't work for Slash to be telling Steve to straighten out. He wasn't ready to clean up."

That's specific enough for me Tongue

but the last one is the key part..
maybe he prefered to work with steven.. but because steven atittude and addiction nobody could work him...

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
AxlsRoses
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »

That's specific enough for me

Okay, now that you posted the whole thing. it looks like you are correct. Without the entire quote it looked like izzy was talking about fred curry. I have seen that quote in this section before and it was quoted the exact same way. My bad.

Still we have to give matt credit for at least being reliable drummer and not falling into drugs like steven. I think they both are great drummers.
NorthwindNS
Headliner

I don't need your civil war.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

I was just wondering why they didn't re-record Civil War with Sorum on the drums for UYII rather than leaving Adler version on but having Sorium do everything else. If Axl was pissed off with him it would be typical Axl to re-record it to stop Adlers royalties.

Usually the drum recordings are the base tracks. They would have had to re-do the entire song. Why do that?

An "It's so easy" to be social
"It's so easy" to be cool
Yeah it's easy to be hungry
When you ain't got shit to lose
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 12:58:58 PM »

I dont know why they left Adler on..I may get some shit for this, but I was never a fan of his...he looked like he fit into bands like warrant and Poison more than Guns N Roses...and today Adler talks shit about Axl saying "chinese democracy is going to suck" and how the new players are garbage....meanwhile he is sitting around playing in a GNR tribute band playing 20 year old songs...that is pretty sad...He was a junkie who almost brought the whole band down with him during the Illusion sessions....fuck that guy
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 01:06:31 PM »

^ First of all who cares how he looks... they all looked different in GN'R back then. What counts is the music. And while it's no secret he ain't got a perfect metre he did got a kick ass sound and groove which made your feet tap and hands clap so to speak. Not to mention his drumarrangements which where great fitting to the songs, the AFD songs have got some classic drumtracks.. Paradise City, Rocket Queen etc. but hey which drummer you prefer is just a matter of taste.
However that stuff about Adler talking shit on the new GN'R, he never did that. He's called Axl a jackass a few times, (Slash a redhead, and the rest too so it's not like he's the only one) but at the same time he never ever said Axl was a lousy singer, or saying something about his performance or the new GN'R's performance. He actually said he still things Axl is a great singer and frontman. So you're making that stuff up.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 01:08:02 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 01:34:39 AM »

Izzy...first of all, why in the world would i sit around and make this stuff up? he said it on his website about 2 years ago..his exact words if i remember correctly were "the reason Axl hasnt put out chinese democracy is because it is going to suck" He also said he woudnt take "a billion dollars to play with Axl again, and also insulted the new band members...this was on his official website...why would I make something like that up? steven adler is so meaningless here in 2006, i just thought it was funny how he was insulting the new band as his band plays dive bars like the one down the street from my house that he played last april...
IzzyDutch
VIP

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »

well making up stuff, it's more like overreacting. Steven hasn't said anymore bad things about Axl then Slash and co Wink

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 05:39:12 AM »

I dont know why they left Adler on..I may get some shit for this, but I was never a fan of his...he looked like he fit into bands like warrant and Poison more than Guns N Roses...and today Adler talks shit about Axl saying "chinese democracy is going to suck" and how the new players are garbage....meanwhile he is sitting around playing in a GNR tribute band playing 20 year old songs...that is pretty sad...He was a junkie who almost brought the whole band down with him during the Illusion sessions....fuck that guy

As i look at this " bullshit"...I take a zip out off my T?...I shake my head..laugh a little to myself....thinkin of reply to this " facts"...
well i rather not....

there is 7044 members at this time right here on Dead Horse for me to discuss with.....I rahter discuss with 7043 if them..

you get the sarcasm Huh

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 06:11:45 AM »

either way, I am glad Steve was on it.

Yeah, me too, his drumming were fine, even if it took him like X takes Grin

Sorum sounds just like a machine no It's not groovy.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: