Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'Slash' Nominated For Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Slash' Nominated For Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards  (Read 8476 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: August 13, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »

Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Nominations Announced

Classic Rock Magazine have today revealed the nominations for their annual awards bash ? The Classic Rock Roll Of Honour ? which takes place on Wednesday 10 November at London?s Roundhouse, hosted by Alice Cooper. For the first time in the awards? history the show will also feature live performances from Cheap Trick and Alter Bridge.

Six reader voted honours are now up for grabs ? to cast your vote go to http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/ or pick up a copy of the new issue of Classic Rock, on sale 18 August.

Leading the charge with two nominations apiece are four heavyweights of the rock world ? AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, KISS and Slash who all lock (devil) horns in the category of Band Of The Year, along with Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and the Jeff Beck Band.

Former Guns ?N? Roses guitarist Slash and outrageous New York rockers KISS contest the honour of Best Album, for respective albums ?Slash? and ?Sonic Boom?, both critically acclaimed upon release. A who?s who of classic rock makes up the full nominations for this category with Cheap Trick, Bigelf, Wolfmother, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains, Lynyrd Skynrd, Gaslight Anthem, The Scorpions, Europe, Ratt, Foreigner, Black Crowes and Steve Hackett all hoping to take home Best Album come 10 November.

Classic Rock Roll of Honour 2010 ? Full List of Nominations

Best New Band The Union
Taking Dawn
Reckless Love
Urban Voodoo Machine
White Wizzard
Alberta Cross

Album Of The Year
Cheap Trick ? The Latest
Bigelf ? Cheat The Gallows
Slash ? Slash
Kiss ? Sonic Boom
Wolfmother ? Cosmic Egg
Iron Maiden ? The Final Frontier
Pearl Jam ? Backspacer
Alice In Chains ? Black Gives Way To Blue
Lynyrd Skynyrd ? God & Guns
Gaslight Anthem ? American Slang
The Scorpions ? Sting In The Tail
Europe ? Last Look At Eden
Ratt -Infestation
Foreigner ? Can?t Slow Down
Black Crowes ? Before The Frost?
Steve Hackett ? Out Of The Tunnel?s Mouth

Band Of The Year
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Rage Against The Machine
Kiss
Bon Jovi
Slash & Friends
Jeff Beck Band

Event Of The Year
High Voltage
Download
Mott The Hoople Reunion
Rage Against The Machine get to No.1 and play free Finsbury Park show
The Stooges Reunion
Journey?s Don?t Stop Believing goes Top 10

Reissue Of The Year
Rolling Stones ? Exile On Main St
Judas Priest ? British Steel
The Beatles ? Reissues
Black Sabbath ? The Dio Years
AC/DC ? Backtracks
Jimi Hendrix ? Reissues
Nazareth ? Reissues
King Crimson ? In The Court Of The Crimson King
Where the Action Is: La Nuggets 1965-1968
David Bowie ? Station To Station

DVD/Film Of The Year
Oil City Confidential
Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage
Saxon: Heavy Metal Thunder
The Doors: When You?re Strange
The Runaways

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:43 AM »

Looks like people have taken notice of how the Slash touring band has been kicking some ass this year. Those are some pretty big names in that category.

I figured the album would be nominated for sure because of the Classic Rock/Slash connection, but the most exciting band nomination is a pleasant surprise.

As I said in another thread, that one is all on Myles because the music itself was going to be good no matter who sung because Slash was on guitar.

Myles kicking ass though has taken what could have felt like a bad karaoke concert with the wrong vocalist (considering the diversity of singers that need to be covered) and elevated it to a top notch rock n' roll show. He was the needle in the haystack as far as guys who could credibly cover Scott and Axl (2 totally different styles) without having it look embarrassing or make you cringe because it sounded like a train wreck.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

I figured the album would be nominated for sure because of the Classic Rock/Slash connection, but the most exciting band nomination is a pleasant surprise.

Not to take anything away from his touring band -- but "Band Of The Year"?  Really?

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »

Not to take anything away from his touring band -- but "Band Of The Year"?  Really?

The category when you vote actually says "Awarded to the most exciting rock band of the past 12 months."

Not that it really makes that much difference.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »

Good luck to Slash.  However, I have to go with Backspacer as album of the year.  And I don't really think Slash and Friends deserves band of the year either.  I would've voted for them as best NEW band, but I guess they don't qualify.  Not sure why they'd qualify for best band but not best new band.  Doesn't make sense to me.  If they qualify for one they have to qualify for both, they are new.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Deadlogic
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:24:57 AM »

Backspacer should win in my opinion, as it's Pearl Jam's best album since Vitalogy.
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »

Hands down Slash will win an award, Classic Rock Magazine wont have it any other way, its their job. Kiss probably will win an award also, another band that the magazine has been working for.

The Iron Maiden album isnt even out yet  Huh But judging by their upcoming appearence on Classic Rock sponsered Rock Radio, I guess Maiden will be featured heavily in the upcoming editions of the magazine.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »

'Marshall Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards': Report, Photos Available - Nov. 11, 2010

Slash, AC/DC, RUSH and Ronnie James Dio are among the musicians who were honored at at this year's Marshall Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards, which was held last night (Wednesday, November 10) at London, England's Roundhouse venue. Alice Cooper hosted the event, which featured live performances for the first time in its six-year history, from ALTER BRIDGE, CHEAP TRICK and THE UNION.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149212

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

Slash performed with Alter Bridge at the classic Rock Awards, here is a short clip:

Slash, Live at the 2010 Classic Rock Awards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYLhJilmoDc

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »

From Billboard:

A typically top-hatted Slash thanked the voters, management, Classic Rock, Roadrunner, drummer Josh Freese, his wife and kids "and you guys" for the album of the year award for his self-titled solo debut, which was launched in conjunction with the magazine when it was sold as a 'fan pack' with a special issue in May. It was later given a standard release by Roadrunner.

http://www.billboard.com/news/slash-ac-dc-rolling-stones-win-at-classic-1004126109.story#/news/slash-ac-dc-rolling-stones-win-at-classic-1004126109.story

Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »

Slash performed with Alter Bridge at the classic Rock Awards, here is a short clip:

Slash, Live at the 2010 Classic Rock Awards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYLhJilmoDc

Full video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_9xQpogAY
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »

Don't know why so many are hating on Slash. His album is amazing. No bias winning it. it definitely is worthy.

His band also are amazing musicians. No idea why the hate on that either.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:46:35 PM »

I don't think hate, more like surprise.  They were up there with Aerosmith, Kiss, Rage Against The Machine -- oh yeah, and Bon Jovi. Wink

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:04 AM »

I don't think hate, more like surprise.  They were up there with Aerosmith, Kiss, Rage Against The Machine -- oh yeah, and Bon Jovi. Wink

Did they win band of the year? 

Congrats on winning album of the year.  It was deserving to be nominated, a good, solid album.  BUT, I prefer "Backspacer".  Maybe Pearl Jam isn't "rock" enough for Classic Rock and its readers though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

Did they win band of the year? 

Congrats on winning album of the year.  It was deserving to be nominated, a good, solid album.  BUT, I prefer "Backspacer".  Maybe Pearl Jam isn't "rock" enough for Classic Rock and its readers though.

Backspacer wasn't released with, or promoted by, the magazine that gave out the award.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »

Backspacer was also a bad record.  I have no doubt Slash won the award because of the tie in Classic Rock had with his record, but to think Backspacer would be the best record of the year on any type of list is hilarious, especially considering all the great rock records that came out last year, a lot of which werent even mentioned by Classic Rock.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

It is "Classic Rock"

PJ aren't classic rock and yeah, Slash's album is better than Backspacer

I know people have this pedestal thing with bands like U2 and Pearl Jam etc but this isn't a career achievement award

Backspacer vs Slash is another story.

I'm not a giant Pearl Jam fan, but I have the album.. the song "The End" is one of the best PJ songs ever, but the rest of the album is just ok.

Ghost rocks harder than anything on there imo. There are no riffs on Backspacer anywhere near Ghost and By The Sword. I'll also throw in "Watch This"

Saint is a Sinner is haunting. Seriously one of the coolest songs this year and is right there with "The End"

so yeah, Slash deserves it for sure.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »

"Just Breathe" might be the best song they ever recorded, but there is a lot of filler on that record..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »

Everyone knows what a Bon Jovi fanatic I am, but Slash's album is better than Bon Jovi's "The Circle"

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »

Everyone knows what a Bon Jovi fanatic I am, but Slash's album is better than Bon Jovi's "The Circle"

That really doesnt say much, that just tells me that the Slash album is listenable... hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »

rant rant rant
har har har

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »

Backspacer was also a bad record.  I have no doubt Slash won the award because of the tie in Classic Rock had with his record, but to think Backspacer would be the best record of the year on any type of list is hilarious, especially considering all the great rock records that came out last year, a lot of which werent even mentioned by Classic Rock.
I respectfully disagree, and think "Slash" had WAY more filler on it than "Backspacer".  Sure Slash's album may have rocked harder, but the award wasn't for "Album That Rocks Hardest", was it?

You may find it hilarious, but of the albums listed, I like "Backspacer" the best.  And I haven't really liked a Pearl Jam album since "No Code", so it's not like I love everything they put out.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »

Quelle Surprise, everybody has their opinion of what should be 'album of the year'. I'm not a fan of Pearl Jam either, so the Slash album is the best for me on that list, but I also think he won it because of the tie-in with the magazine. It's a Classic Rock award, I don't know why people are bothered.

Fuck 'Em All.
siraddam
Headliner

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 07:12:15 AM »

I think that the voting was only from fans for the best album category!
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »

I respectfully disagree, and think "Slash" had WAY more filler on it than "Backspacer".  Sure Slash's album may have rocked harder, but the award wasn't for "Album That Rocks Hardest", was it?

You may find it hilarious, but of the albums listed, I like "Backspacer" the best.  And I haven't really liked a Pearl Jam album since "No Code", so it's not like I love everything they put out.

and i disrespecfully disagree. Pearl Jam are the only authentic rock band still writing on this planet, and are quite possibly the only truly authentic rock band ever. resultingly, Backspacer is objectively better than anything on Slash, whether or not you may like it... the songs are real, not just poppy catchy guest songs with nice sounding guitar solos..

not that i don't love Slash. I don't believe they rigged the result completely... but probably some how twisted the rules to make Slash win... he probs sold more than most albums on the list
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »

Slash made a great record he won the award he deserves it. It was voted the best by the fans. End of story! Grin
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 02:05:26 PM »

rant rant rant
har har har

haha i was just messing with you D, "The Circle" is one of the better "newer" Bon Jovi albums I must say.  By newer I mean from 2000-2010. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

and i disrespecfully disagree. Pearl Jam are the only authentic rock band still writing on this planet, and are quite possibly the only truly authentic rock band ever. resultingly, Backspacer is objectively better than anything on Slash, whether or not you may like it... the songs are real, not just poppy catchy guest songs with nice sounding guitar

What makes a "truly authentic" rock band? and how is Pearl Jam the only one?  I am just curious.  Also I don't know why "poppy and catchy" are always considered a bad thing.  Most of the songs by the bands we love fall under the "poppy/catchy" category.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »

Please ,PJ are as corporate as Bon Jovi, they just hide it better.

Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: