Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 01:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227850 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Most overrated Band ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Most overrated Band ...  (Read 36943 times)
axls_locomotive
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 10:16:46 PM »

Nirvana are the most overated ever.

i dont think zep and dc can possibly be underated, Zep ecspecially.
Zepplin fans are the biggest idiots ever (alongside oasis and radiohead fans), they constantly ram it down  peoples throats how there the greatest thing since slice bread and if you disagree your a fuckin arsehole, on another board i stated a opinon (in a very civil war) and got a ton of abuse just cos if find them overated and plagarists.
Fuck Led zepplin and there 30mins drum solos

if you go to forums of other groups and make accusations, then the fans will be defensive or retaliatory...

yea led zep could be accused of plagiarism but the bits they took from other songs in most cases doesnt resemble the original, i have heard styles of little richard, cochran and elvis in their work but most cannot hear the resemblances unless you know the tracks they resemble...early blues artists often took parts of songs from other blues artists, it was a common thing...and thats where their influences lie so why criticise them for following their influences...you will find that some of the songs zep supposedly plagiarised had already been plagiarised...jmho

gnrmadagascar
Headliner

Broken glass and cigarettes...

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2003, 11:58:06 PM »

Personally, I think Nirvana, Led Zepplen, and Pink Floyd are overrated. The one guy/band that's underrated is Alice Cooper. He's the guy who created shock rock but he never gets the credit for it.

The Poster Formely Known as estranged13
"While I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging, still my guitar, gently weeps..." - George Harrison
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2003, 05:25:49 AM »

yeah Pink Floyd is very overrated. I wonder why. Their songs ain't so special like all the critics say.
mortismurphy
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2003, 06:27:56 AM »

if you go to forums of other groups and make accusations, then the fans will be defensive or retaliatory...

you may have missed the part when i said ''i was civil''
It wasnt a accusation, it was a opinon topic not started by me, i stated 'my' opinon in a courteouse manner and got called all things under the sun for it.
This is just one example of how led zepplin fans behave, like there beyond critisism and if you even dare to knock them your a fuckin arsehole.

About the plagarism charges, maybe you better read this...
http://zeppelin.hippy.com/stolentunes.htm
FoR_wHoM_tHe_bEll_ToLLs
Rocker

To all those opposed hmmm . . . . well!

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2003, 06:37:29 AM »

Nirvana followed by The Beatles

How many times do I have to tell you mum?! Gareth Gates is NOT rock!!!
axls_locomotive
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2003, 10:16:58 AM »

you may have missed the part when i said ''i was civil''
It wasnt a accusation, it was a opinon topic not started by me, i stated 'my' opinon in a courteouse manner and got called all things under the sun for it.
This is just one example of how led zepplin fans behave, like there beyond critisism and if you even dare to knock them your a fuckin arsehole.

About the plagarism charges, maybe you better read this...
http://zeppelin.hippy.com/stolentunes.htm

no offence dude but one single forum doesnt equal the whole fan community...im a fan as well as others here but do you see me or anyone else tearing you apart? sure they arent beyond criticism, every band and artist has their faults...

sure they stole things here and there...but the songs they stole them from werent exactly popular, old blues songs and obscure songs...they revitalised interest in the blues...i think it gives them some hooks to the past and their influences...and you can feel that in their music

btw your link goes to a page with nothing on it

mortismurphy
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2003, 03:31:35 PM »

For some reason you have to highlight it, here is the piece.

Stolen Tunes
One of the things Led Zeppelin regularly become accused of is 'nicking' bits of old blues numbers. And it is true, to a certain extent. The spice to the story is that for years the issues of 'what where the original versions?' and, especially where credit and songwriting royalties were concerned 'who were the original writers?' became obsessively researched topics for many a music journalist and fan alike. Later spilling over into the law courts as claims and counter claims were made. A problem in particular for Led Zeppelin was that during the 60's so many artists had recorded versions of old blues songs and re-credited the original compositions to themselves and made money out of it that for Led Zeppelin to continue the practice into the 1970's and be even more successful was pouring oil onto troubled waters. Their high visibility made them stand out as targets for claimants.

Here are just a few of the most well-known 'musical thefts'!:

'Black Waterside' by Bert Jansch is the main guitar element of 'Black Mountain Side,' 'When the Levee Breaks' was originally written by a bizarre skiffle duo, Memphis Minnie and Kansas Joe. 'She Moved Thru' the Bizarre' by Davey Graham is the basis of Jimmy's solo 'White Summer.'

'Shake 'Em On Down' by Bukka White was raided twice by Zep, firstly on 'Hats Off to (Roy) Harper' and then on 'Custard Pie' which have very similar lyrical content anyway! 'How Many More Years' by Howlin' Wolf seems to have combined with a little bit of riffage from Albert King's 'The Hunter' to form the classic Zeppelin tune, 'How Many More Times'.

'You Need Love' was a song written by bluesman Willie Dixon for Muddy Waters, which found it's way into the lyrics of 'Whole Lotta Love' and was contested by Dixon. Musically, it's an original Led Zeppelin creation. Although, the riff seems to mildly resemble that of 'Drugstore Woman' by John Lee Hooker! 'I Can't Quit You Baby' was written by Willie Dixon and was credited correctly on the album, Led Zeppelin I.

'Bring It On Home' was originally written by Willie Dixon, once again, but it's really the version by Sonny Boy Williamson's version that bears most resemblance to LZ's recording. 'Travelling Riverside Blues' is lyrically Robert Johnson's and musically Johnny Winter's 'Leavin' Blues'. 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' is a song written by Blind Willie Johnson, which bears a strong resemblance to the song of the same title which was credited to Zep. Plant acknowledged that the song was based on that of "another written a long time previously."

'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', was originally written by Annie Briggs nee Briddon who Pagey had seen and heard during the mid 60's. The well known recorded version of the song was by Joan Baez. 'Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed' is one of the well known lines of 'In My Time of Dying'. Maybe that's because it was the title of a song written by Blind Willie Johnson. The Zep tune bears resemblance to this, but a subsequent version in the 1930's by Josh White has been named by Page as having been also heard.

'The Girl I Love, She Got Long Curly Hair' was written by 'Sleepy' John Estes in the 1920's, and was raided by Zeppelin twice, in 'The Girl I Love' on the BBC Sessions, and really as the riff to Bonham's drum solo 'Moby Dick'. 'Killing Floor' by Howlin' Wolf was the origin of Zep's 'Lemon Song'. It is supposed that the Lemon title came from a Robert Johnson song referring to "squeeze my lemon," although Johnson was not the only one to use the allegory. The publishers for Howlin' Wolf challenged through the courts in the early 70's and a settlement was reached.

'Ooh My Head' by Ritchie Valens, resembles Zep's 'Boogie With Stu'. It's prime 50's rock 'n' roll influences also included 'Ooh My Soul' by Little Richard. 'You Shook Me' was written by Willie Dixon for Muddy Waters, and was correctly credited on Led Zeppelin I. In the same year of release, 1968, the Jeff Beck group also released a similar version of this track, and so Dixon did not challenge the band because of having to launch a duel assault on both groups!

True, i can't speak for the whole fan base, but there is a certain attitude amongst there fanbase i've met where they go nuts if you remotally offer any critisism.

Ironically i quite like zep in there less-indulgent phrases.
But i hate the lyrics and dont like 30mins drum solos and screeching vocals.
Thumper
Catwoman eh!
Legend

The wolf's clear, intelligent eyes brushed mine.

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2003, 04:14:21 PM »

Nirvana and to some extent The Beatles

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2003, 04:57:11 PM »

yeah Pink Floyd is very overrated. I wonder why. Their songs ain't so special like all the critics say.
*Bitchslap*

AC/DC and Aerosmith  Angry
*BITCHSLAP*

AC/DC seem very average to me, u can add The Rolling Stones to that too...and hell Black Sabbath too.
nervous confused Lips Sealed Undecided no crying

The world has gone mad.

If you think Zep, The Stones, Acca Dacca, Aerosmith, The Beatles and Sabbath are overrated, then maybe you don't actually listen to ROCK music, and maybe you all listen to N*Sync and Busted?  Even if you did, the Beatles are probably the only reason they are around.

I bet all of you who claimed those bands are overrated never actually *listened* to a whole albums worth of material, and I don't mean pick the worst album of their career like when Perry left Aero, or when Houses Of The Holy happened, or when Ozzy left Sabbath.

[NirvanaRanting]
In my opinion, Nirvana aren't overrated as such, I just think they suck.  People believe in all the "fuck the mainstream" stuff about Shitvana, and how Kurt hated MTV...well, why make videos? Hello, MTV unplugged? Um....what happened to his ethics then? Oh I know a good way of getting out of stuff I don't like...I'll kill myself
Yeah...good one.
...and leave a kid...with a druggie mother...
Even better!
Way to go Kurt! You rock!  I love Kurt.

Yeah, they changed the music industry, yeah they influenced millions of kids...but they suck.
[/NirvanaRanting]

Plus they totally ripped off the Pixies who are just infinitely better anyway.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 05:00:52 PM by Miz » Logged

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2003, 05:01:13 PM »

Nirvana
Madcap
Rocker

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2003, 05:33:38 PM »

Nirvana are the most overated ever.

i dont think zep and dc can possibly be underated, Zep ecspecially.
Zepplin fans are the biggest idiots ever (alongside oasis and radiohead fans), they constantly ram it down  peoples throats how there the greatest thing since slice bread and if you disagree your a fuckin arsehole, on another board i stated a opinon (in a very civil war) and got a ton of abuse just cos if find them overated and plagarists.
Fuck Led zepplin and there 30mins drum solos

what's wrong with drum solos...well this might be that i'm a drummer and love their solos...so some one like me might sat fuck guitar solos...now that would be crazy wouldn't it...

any way back on topic...it would have to be Nirvana

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
GNFNRS
Bush-lover
Rocker

Yes, evil does have it's honest side and it's called Slash

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2003, 10:54:30 PM »

Van Halen, Def Leppard

We're just jerk-offs like everybody else
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2003, 02:53:26 AM »

are you JOKING???  rant
America's Least Wanted
Headliner

So Damn Cool

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2003, 03:19:57 AM »

Nirvana & Metallica (since the 90s)

I Think Sex Is Overated To!
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2003, 09:40:32 AM »

are you JOKING???  rant

No I'm not. They have a few good songs but otherwise I don't see nothing special with this band. Just my opinion. But yes this band wins easily Busted and N*Sync.  Wink
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2003, 10:57:02 AM »

The word over rated was designed for Pink Floyd, i was just listening to 'Dark side of the moon' just doesn't do anything for me, a very modern sound i will agree but can't see anything remarkable about them, too many 'odd noises' as well.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2003, 11:44:52 PM »

Over rated: Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones

Underrated: Def Leppard, Ozzy Osbourne
sweetslashes
Headliner

here i am, and your a rocket queen.

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 10:03:35 AM »

the darkness
yeah - i like em, but please, someone give justin a slap, and tell him to get his head out of his ass! please!!!
 - ok so they're not on the poll, but wateva, come on, kick my ass for it!!!!
xox
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 10:09:45 AM by sweetslashes » Logged

im a punk rocker, i don't trust no-one, oh hell no, i know what truth is, coz i said so, i know who my friends are so fuck you, dont come no closer coz ul only make me run far away
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2003, 12:48:18 PM »

All the bands on that poll get roughly the correct amount of recognition and respect that they deserve in my opinion. With one obvious exception; Nirvana. An important band in that they did a part to change rock music; but they do absolutly nothing for me. It really pisses me off when people claim nirvana as one of the greatest bands ever, and that they constantly have to win all these polls in Q and Rolling Stone simply because people feel obliged to vote for them even though they dont know why (i was especially pissed at the RS poll that didnt have slash, but had kurt at #14.)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2003, 03:23:11 PM »

i was especially pissed at the RS poll that didnt have slash, but had kurt at #14.
Uhh...don't you know, it's not cool to be able to play your instrument.  You're supposed to just smash it at the end of the song...then kill yourself.  That's how you become a good guitarist.  confused

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: