Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank a band's entire discography (studio albums, live optional if you want)  (Read 34909 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2007, 07:08:33 AM »

SOUNDGARDEN

Ultramega OK - Cornell's vocals are awesome on this.? 2/6

Louder Than Love - This one is so underrated.? Preview of Badmotorfinger. 4/6

Screaming Life / Fopp - This is a compilation of 2 earlier EP releases.? Sounds more like Ultramega OK.? 1/6

Badmotorfinger - Yes, this is their best album.? 6/6

Superunknown
- Their most commercially successful album.? I'm sure you know Black Hole Sun & Spoonman.? 5/6

Down On The Upside - Wonderful record.? Not as successful as Superunknown.? 3/6

TEMPLE OF THE DOG

Temple Of The Dog - Classic.? 1/1

CHRIS CORNELL

Euphoria Morning - Picks up where Down On The Upside left off.? 2/2

Carry On - Not as good as Euphoria Morning, but great nonetheless.? 1/2

AUDIOSLAVE

Audioslave - How can you go wrong mixing Soundgarden with Rage Against The Machine?? We wouldn't find out until later...? 3/3

Out Of Exile
- This one was pretty disappointing for me.? This CD put me to sleep fast.? 2/3

Revelations - This one was just bad.? Chris Cornell and members of Rage Against The Machine are on it, so that saves it.? 1/1

couldn't you use the same scale at all albums? using the wierd above system is real hard to understand.. is a 2/3 album equally as good as a 4/6 and is 6/6 the same as a 1/1 Huh
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2007, 01:16:54 PM »

couldn't you use the same scale at all albums? using the wierd above system is real hard to understand.. is a 2/3 album equally as good as a 4/6 and is 6/6 the same as a 1/1 Huh

I think his rating system is based on the number of albums...so 1/6 is the worst of the six, and 6/6 is the best.  Of course, this gives no real idea of the relative strength of the albums. 

For example:

TEMPLE OF THE DOG

Temple Of The Dog - Classic.  1/1

This doesn't tell me much.  Is it better  or worse than Badmotorfinger, which is the best Soundgarden release (according to the review)?

And 1/1...I could release an album where I fart the vocal lines over elevator muzak versions of classic songs, quickly retire (with my earnings  hihi), and it would be 1/1.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #162 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols - 10/10 'nuff said

Well, that was easy. Tongue

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »

I would give each album that I mentioned a "10", so I had to rank them amongst themselves.  Sorry for the confusion.  I guess I can go back and just put 10/10 for each one.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »

I think his rating system is based on the number of albums...so 1/6 is the worst of the six, and 6/6 is the best. Of course, this gives no real idea of the relative strength of the albums.

For example:

TEMPLE OF THE DOG

Temple Of The Dog - Classic. 1/1

ok, that makes sense

I would give each album that I mentioned a "10", so I had to rank them amongst themselves.? Sorry for the confusion.? I guess I can go back and just put 10/10 for each one.

yeah please go back Cheesy
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2007, 02:21:55 AM »

NIRVANA
Studio albums

"Bleach" - This is their rawest one.  Great stuff.  1/4

Nevermind - Classic.  4/4

Incesticide - A compilation of earlier stuff.  Sounds more like "Bleach". 2/4

In Utero - Another classic.  3/4

Just to clarify, is that four-out-of-four-out-of-ten?  So, 4/4 is good for what it is, but it only qualifies as 4/10, because they ruined music?  That's my understanding.

Roger Waters isn't on Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

Roger Waters isn't on Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Oops!  Thanks for the correction! 

You know, I don't think I ever knew that.  I knew it was more a Gilmore led effort, but that Waters had already left...well, my timeline was clearly off a little.  If I had known, I guess I had also forgotten.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »

Gotta do one on one of my favorite bands and one of the most overlooked and forgotten about bands.

1992- Blind Melon - Their most successful album. Sold 4 million copies in the U.S. Featured the #20 hit "No Rain". Also had "Tones of Home", "Change", "Drive". Good all around album, a little different for the grunge era. (3.5/5)

1995 - Soup - My favorite album by them and their best IMO. Was shot down by critics and was recorded mostly in New Orleans. During this time the band was confined to a house and cut it with Andy Wallace at the helm. Has some very overlooked music here. "2x4", "Mouthful of Cavities", "Galaxie", "Toes Across the Floor", "Walk". Really good stuff musically. The lyrics are a little weird in some songs. GOod though. (4/5)

1996 - Nico - Names after Shannon Hoon's daughter, Nico Blue, this album is a tribute to him. It sold modest at best and has rare songs on it. "Soul One" is the highlight, but the song "Soup" is also good. "Pusher" is excellent too. Worth checking out for those 3 songs alone. (3/5)

Good band... they are touring now, and I'm going to see them in Nashville, TN in March.

Like the new album, sounds great.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
ToEachesOwn
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »

SMASHING PUMPKINS

Album Rankings (Out of 10):

Siamese Dream (1993) - 10
Billy Corgan's masterpiece

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995) - 9.5
Nearly perfect except for the two James Iha written songs

Adore (1998) - 8.5
A change of pace.  Great rainy day album.  Ava Adore video still amazes me to this day (shot all in one take).

Zeitgeist (2007) - 8
Pumpkins 2.0... aggressive and ballsy, but the atmosphere of previous albums is lacking.

The Aeroplane Flies High (1997) - 7.5
28 additional songs (and the 5 album singles) recorded during the Mellon Collie era and for the most part, they're all great.  The era between 1994-1995 spawned 56 songs that were released with countless others unreleased.

Gish (1991) - 7
The first attempt is good, but doesn't hold the depth that their other albums hold.

Pisces Iscariot (1994) - 7
Songs from the Gish and Siamese Dream era. The only radio single being the cover of Landslide.

Machina II / The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music (2000) - 5.5
Released for free on the internet... 25 unpolished songs from 1999-2000.

Machina / The Machines of God (2000) - 4
For the most part, the majority of these songs miss the mark.

Other stuff from Billy Corgan

Zwan - Mary Star Of The Sea (2003) - 7
Upbeat and fun... though it does have the most depressing song ever written on it: "Of A Broken Heart". So many studio recordings were unreleased that would have made this album better (find live versions of Love Lies In Ruin, For Your Love, God's Gonna Set This World On Fire, Spilled Milk, etc for a reference)

Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbace (2005)
Though there are some moments of greatness (Mina Loy, A100), this album is almost unlistenable.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 10:07:34 AM by ToEachesOwn » Logged
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2008, 04:06:06 AM »

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols - 10/10 'nuff said

Well, that was easy. Tongue

why not:

The Firm

The New Barbarians

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »

this thread is great
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »

this thread is great
lol, i guess i kinda killed it though.. care to put some life in it anyone?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »

Quoting yourself is the 1st sign of;

A) Boredom
B) Loss of sanity
C) Wanting more posts
D) Really caring about a thread
E) All of the above

Anyway, just because I have gone on a major binge over the past few months, I'll have a crack at how I feel about Nine Inch Nails:

Essential

Purest Feeling (1988) - Honestly this album for me far surpasses Pretty Hate Machine.  Title title track and Maybe Just Once just have such a wonderful groove, I'd describe the album as a more accessible Pretty Hate Machine, lighter, smoother, there is something really magical about this.  For anyone wondering this is the pretty much the demo version of Hate Machine but its on the torrent sites if you search around.  Essential Track - Purest Feeling

The Fragile (1999) - People often complain Double Disc albums are over indulgent (Note: I adore the Illusions), it can be a risk, the general notion is, well there is filler so why not get rid of the filler and have one album, well I can't find any filler here.  As I've said before, to be essential to me I have to like every track....mucho amounts, and to do this over 2 Discs is tricky but I think NIN pulled it off here,  I've read a fair bit of criticism about it to be honest.  I definately haven't seen it get the same acclaim as The Downward Spiral and that's a shame.  One track that people who are new to the band proably won't of heard is Please, definately worth looking up, Essential Track - Into The Void

Ghosts I-IV (2008) - I remember the first time I heard this album, I think I went to Evolution, what is this crap?   hihi  I pretty much decided I wasn't going to bother with it again.  About a week later I had a major assignment for University though and all the music I was listening to was distracting me, because of the lyrics/vocals, I thought to myself that silence sucks so I needed something Instrumental and this was all I had.  Well it was a pretty long assignment so having gone through the entire of this album numerous times, It hadn't just grown on me a bit, I loved it, its so strange how you can change your view on an album so quickly, just a few listens and you see things so differently.  Essential Track - 13 Ghosts

Very Good

Broken (1992) - Has to go here simply because its my favourite EP of all time, many bands abuse the "EP" term and through out crap with little effort or few new tracks, this has some of NIN's strongest ever tracks though.  Just like the full length albums take you through a journey, so does this EP whether the tracks a hard hitting and fast paced or slowed down the emotion remains, Gave Up is a prime example of a track that encapsulates both elements perfectly, the video for Happiness In Slavery is a cracker as well.  Essential Track - Happiness In Slavery

The Downward Spiral (1994) - Although not 100% essential for me its not far off.  A great album with an electic range.  From classics like Hurt that have been covered and taken to a bigger audience, to the world famous Closer which every 14 year old kid liked because they thought it was cool to say "I wanna fuck you like an animal".  I'm not too keen on track opener Mr. Self Destruct or Eraser and for something to be a total classic, for me, I have to like all the tracks...a lot.  Essential Track - March of the Pigs

With Teeth (2005) - A return to a more accessible NIN, I know many diehard fans aren't too keen on this but you can't argue with quality tunes, much like a modernised version of Pretty Hate Machine, the dance and industrial elements blended really well together for a mainstream audience, I've seen several of these tracks, used in films, and used well, Every Day Is Exactly The Same in the extremely good film Wanted comes to mind.  Essential Track - Every Day Is Exactly The Same

Year Zero/Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D (2007) - I know, I know, these are two seperate albums, Year Zero and the remixes but I view them as another double disc classic, overall I prefer the songs from the remix album, I also have a special affinity with the Year Zero album.  Back when the album was first released I was very down and depressed suffering bad headaches and went to have my head scanned, I was very, very scared, Year Zero was the album I took with me as they said I could have some music playing during the scan, amusing thing was the sound on the machine blended well with the music.  Essential Track(s) - The Great Destroyer/Me, I'm Not (Olof Dreijer Mix)

Good

Pretty Hate Machine (1989) - Prior to listening to the demos I'd of probably ranked this higher, but this album hardly gets a look in now, Its still decent but I urge anyone who hasn't already, give Purest Feeling a try.  Essential Track - Sin (Check out the EP)

Fixed (1992) - A solid sex of remixes, although enoyable there are moments where tracks just go on a little too long, still I enjoy it so it has to be rated as good.  Essential Track - Screaming Slave

The Slip (2008) - An album from last year I liked no doubt, but I haven't given it enough spins for it to totally sink in, emotionally so to speak, aside from the very good Discipline and the; Essential Track - Corona Radiata

"Ok"

Further Down The Spiral (UK/US) (1995) - There are some nice remixes here but it doesn't come close to the original, its not that its bad, but no tracks stand out and strike me, I don't listen to a track and think; "Wow, that's better, that was worth doing".  True you don't have to get that feeling off an album, but it doesn't really have any qualities that I feel deem an uber high ranking either.  Essential Track - Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)

And All That Could Have Been (2001) - Maybe having the DVD would increase my interest, or maybe its my reduced interest in live albums, I used to enjoy them a lot but in recent years I have kind of stopped caring, I just find with most of these tracks I prefer the original studio cut, sans the crowd.  Essential Track - Starfuckers, Inc.

Only if you want to complete your collection

Things Falling Apart (2000) - Funny how my favourite album was remixed into my least favourite album, maybe my love for The Fragile makes me overly critical, but I'd say this is pretty much redundent, not everything needs remixing (only most things Smiley) Essential Track - Slipping Away
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: