Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:39:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Downloading
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Downloading  (Read 2667 times)
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« on: February 27, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »

ok as we are all aware millions of people download from the internet daily.

My question is where is the line.

You see i think it is wrong to download music or movies (altho i used to before i knew how illegal it was) but i cant see why downloading TV shows is so bad. I just cant see how me downloading an episode of Family Guy is so wrong when i'm going to buy the box set anyway as soon as it comes out. Dont get me wrong i'm totally against making money off any downloading and i think those people are a disgrace and deserve everything they get.

however a TV show is just that and could be recorded on VHS or DVD as it comes on and therefore there would never be a need  to buy any DVD of TV shows.

My friends however argue that music is overpriced and that downloading is vital to not find yourself wasting money on music. They also claim that the bands end up making more money through tour and merchandise and even the purchase of the album after a few listens.

I like having my CD and DVD collection (which includes many TV shows) but i have bought music that i thought "That was the biggest pile of shit" and i have bought Movies that sucked more than a horny prositute and i have thought " What a Waste Of Money" and i would love to have my money back for those items.

1. Is there a difference between downloading Movies & Music and downloading TV Shows?

2. Whats your general view on Downloading? Should there be more leniency? Or should everything be banned?

3. Any Ideas or systems that people think would be fair?

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

Downloading TV shows, especially the ones that are not out on dvd or are only partially out is totally justified IMO.

This   is   Democracy!!!
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:01:30 PM »

Downloading TV shows, especially the ones that are not out on dvd or are only partially out is totally justified IMO.

I take it by that you mean you think its ok to download them if its not avalible to buy.

If thats the case i totally agree.  you should be able to watch your favourite shows and then hopefully reward them by buying it in the end

[/color]

jabba2
VIP

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:17:24 PM »

I download a ton and dont buy many cd's anymore, but even in the old days i was not a big CD buyer. My cd collection never got much above 10.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:20:41 PM »

I take it by that you mean you think its ok to download them if its not avalible to buy.

If thats the case i totally agree.? you should be able to watch your favourite shows and then hopefully reward them by buying it in the end

I pay for cable to have easy access to certain programming, so I don't feel it's a problem to DL anything I can see there.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:46:17 PM »

My mate downloads hundreds of songs a night, just to stick it to the record companies. He thinks he is a man on a mission or something. Everytime i say "so and so have a new album out, think i'll get it" he will go bonkers about how much companies add to CD prices  hihi

Personally, i think getting tasters of albums is cool. Live stuff or B-Sides likewise. But full albums isn't a great idea.

TV Shows like Lost and 24 are fair game though!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 04:13:09 AM »

well you know that TV networks pay to air Tv-Shows ... so you're getting for free something theypay for ...
you see, it's all about "why would investor pay for something people can get for free ? "

ABC pays big bucks to air Desperate Housewives cause they hope you'll watch the commercial. if you get the show commercial free off the internet, why would they continue paying for it. then DHW productions can't produce episodes anymore, then we won't be able to watch Bree Van de Kamp anymore Sad

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:34:15 AM »

thats true buggin...... though the trick is with everything, if you have a copy of the cd and you dl the song from that cd  technically it is with in your right, if you pay for the cable access and dl the show that is aired there you are paying for it, and so long as you dont share it off to someone else that does not have access then your golden...... and for that matter, its not the DL'er that gets the shit its the uploader that takes the heat, bc they are gving the data away.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »

thats true buggin...... though the trick is with everything, if you have a copy of the cd and you dl the song from that cd  technically it is with in your right, if you pay for the cable access and dl the show that is aired there you are paying for it, and so long as you dont share it off to someone else that does not have access then your golden...... and for that matter, its not the DL'er that gets the shit its the uploader that takes the heat, bc they are gving the data away.

i dont know, i think in the moral contract of a Tv network, the viewer is allowed to watch the show WITH the commercial.
getting off line without the commercial and with the possibility to watch it as many times as he wants, .... i dunno ... vcr recording is in some ways illegal i guess?

echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 07:59:22 AM »

i dont know, i think in the moral contract of a Tv network, the viewer is allowed to watch the show WITH the commercial.
getting off line without the commercial and with the possibility to watch it as many times as he wants, .... i dunno ... vcr recording is in some ways illegal i guess?

Not a whole lot of difference between that and watching on TV and getting up to take a piss during commercials ... either way you're not watching the commercial.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »

Not a whole lot of difference between that and watching on TV and getting up to take a piss during commercials ... either way you're not watching the commercial.

they dont if you're missing the commercial. when you get it offline they know for sure.
it's all a big cycle.
someones paying, somewhere.
if the customer stops paying (music, tv shows, movies) someone has. if not, investors go somewhere else.

uhuh?

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »

I read an article a while back on downloading tv shows, The conclusion of that article was that it is a big grey area.
I don't think of downloading tv shows as wrong. they won't even notice if I don't watch the shows on tv. They only know when people with those nielsen boxes are watching they have no way of tracking wether I'm watching it or not. Smiley
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 10:35:10 AM »

I read an article a while back on downloading tv shows, The conclusion of that article was that it is a big grey area.
I don't think of downloading tv shows as wrong. they won't even notice if I don't watch the shows on tv. They only know when people with those nielsen boxes are watching they have no way of tracking wether I'm watching it or not. Smiley
yeah but out off the stats of these boxes they get stats.
and nowadays with DSL tv - at least in france - , they get real time stats.

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »

yeah but out off the stats of these boxes they get stats.
and nowadays with DSL tv - at least in france - , they get real time stats.

Yeah we've also got some form of DSL tv over here in the netherlands. But since I don't have it I'm free to download anything I want? Tongue Wink
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »

When shops charge so much for albums and when tv stations show programmes 6 months after they have finished in America I don't see how they can complain when people fight back

If cds were a reasonable price and we weren't forced to wait forever for tv show to come on - then downloading would be wrong - as it is is....well

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »

My mate downloads hundreds of songs a night, just to stick it to the record companies. He thinks he is a man on a mission or something. Everytime i say "so and so have a new album out, think i'll get it" he will go bonkers about how much companies add to CD prices? hihi

Personally, i think getting tasters of albums is cool. Live stuff or B-Sides likewise. But full albums isn't a great idea.

TV Shows like Lost and 24 are fair game though!

I think thats the way i think.

Making money is totally wrong and i dont accept those people who download music albums in their droves are doing anything more than being greedy and after a free ride.

If you download a song or some songs and like it you should definatly buy it . . . which is what alot of people dont do anymore which is a shame.

I think TV is totally fair enough if your a fan and you dont lend it or make money out of it in anyway. Coz lets face it you will buy it all in the end. . . well i do anyway

[/color]

Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »

The argument about downloading because of? cd prices is ridiculous. I agree that cd prices should be lowered, but that doesn't give anyone the right to steal music. Not only are you stealing, but you are punishing the artists who worked hard to put out that material.? Would you steal a car if you thought it was overpriced?

I do download but I only download to preview an album to see if I want to buy it. For example, I downloaded Buckcherry's latest because it wasn't released in America yet, but I'll definitely be buying it because I enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:30:28 PM by Acquiesce » Logged
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 08:54:49 PM »

1. Is there a difference between downloading Movies & Music and downloading TV Shows?

2. Whats your general view on Downloading? Should there be more leniency? Or should everything be banned?

3. Any Ideas or systems that people think would be fair?

1. It's different because you can say that a band is losing money because they are losing out on a sale when someone downloads their music without ever buying it. The same goes for movies. Television is different because the networks make their money from the advertisers and not their actual viewers. It is a much grayer area.

2. I think downloading is a great tool if used properly. Like I said in my previous post, I only download music to preview an album or a band to see if I want to buy their music. I have discovered a ton of bands through downloading. I have been buying more cds than ever because of downloading.

3. I don't know honestly. How do you get rid of the leechers who just want something for nothing without hurting the honest people lwho buy albums?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: