Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227905 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007-2008 NBA Season
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007-2008 NBA Season  (Read 89748 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2008, 10:24:43 AM »

Yeah, I don't buy the whole momentum thing.  If the Lakers want to take something out of game 2 obviously it's coming back from the dead and making a game of it.  BUT I certainly don't expect the C's to fold because of that.  Maybe the Lakers found out some things they can do successfully on offense with that run, though the Celitcs were obviously not at their peak on the defensive end so that remains to be seen.  As Pilferk said though, the Celts have had a tendancy to let up all season long and especially in the playoffs.  They got trounced in game 3 in both the Atlanta and Cleveland series (well more in Cleveland).  So I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers came out and win game 3 handily.  However, if that were to happen, I wouldn't exactly point to the momentum that they fed off of from the end of game 2.  If the Lakers can't build up momentum from being down 0-2 and going back home alone, then they've got problems.

As for the fouls.  Again as Pilferk mentioned, and it should be no surprise, the home court officiating.  I'm fully expecting the tides to turn in LA.  Although the numbers may not be quite as astonishing.  Let's face it, the Celtics have been the more aggressive team on the offensive end, forcing the action.  Taking the ball to the hole, thus creating contact and getting fouls called.  The Lakers have been a perimeter oriented team, standing around the perimeter taking jump shots.  That style is a lot less conducive to getting to the free throw line.  And while on the subject.  I know a lot of people were probably surprised (maybe infuriated) that Leon Powe had more free throw attempts than the whole Laker team.  I'm pretty sure he was among the league leaders for free throw attempts per 48 minutes.  He's an aggressive low post player who knows how to get to the line.  It wasn't like it was a one game thing.  Although I've gotta say, having that whole feature on him at halftime made it look like it was either meant to be or made to happen.  I'll go with meant to be though.

Regardless of all the complaints or laments, the Celtics lead 2-0.  Now it's off to LA.  Back home for Paul and Leon.  Go Celtics!!!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #341 on: June 09, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »

the 2-3-2 format is great!

It changes it up a bit, and the home advantage team does get 2 games first,

the 3 in the middle is fine, because the home advantage team should be able to still 1 of the 3, then the last 2 are back at home.

It's a good change.

What's really dumb? How they made the first round a best of 7 a few years back. I really liked the quicker first round

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »

The 2-3-2 format works fine for me, my biggest complaint is the fact that the change of format in the finals to account for east to west travel, but then space out the first and last two games so much. To me it just kills the flow of the series...
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

The celtics dominated the lakers for three and a half quaters but as usual the fourth quarter comes, they got a big lead, and they decide to phone it in. As someone said its gonna bite em in the ass. As for the lakers I really expected them to play better. They found some things that worked at the end of the game but everybody knows the celtics were just waiting for the clock to expire. But perhaps they can find something that works.

I expect the Lakers to come out in desperation mode in game 3 and play really tough basketball. They really need to figure out ways to drive on the celtics and match the physical play without giving up so many fouls. I know some were questionable but shit the celtics were on the line, what 38 times? And you saw early in the game that these refs were calling little contact as a foul from the start of the game and the celtics seemed to adjust. The lakers seemed to want to play like the celtics did in game 1 and the reffing in this game was not gonna allow it.

Series now 2-0 for the Celtics!!!!  hihi Bring on game three and one step closer to a sweep.  ok

BEAT L.A.!!!! BEAT L.A.!!!! BEAT L.A.!!!!  smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

I don't think they will sweep, but they might.

It looks like a 4-2 series Celtics at this point

But don't damn me
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:24 PM »

You know the officiating is terrible when ESPN, with its East coast/Boston bias is calling "foul."

The Lakers may have the favor returned, but it won't be by such a vast margin.

POWE had more attempts than the whole L.A. team!  You all have to admit, a lot of the fouls called were cheap.

But enough of that, there's a GAME TOMORROW!  Cool

Even though my guys are losing, as a basketball fan, this is a great series.

The Lakers definitely figured some things out to break down the fabled Boston D.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #346 on: June 09, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »

You know the officiating is terrible when ESPN, with its East coast/Boston bias is calling "foul."

The Lakers may have the favor returned, but it won't be by such a vast margin.

POWE had more attempts than the whole L.A. team!  You all have to admit, a lot of the fouls called were cheap.

But enough of that, there's a GAME TOMORROW!  Cool

Even though my guys are losing, as a basketball fan, this is a great series.

The Lakers definitely figured some things out to break down the fabled Boston D.
Call me a homer, and I am.  But I just don't think there were THAT many bad calls/no calls in Boston.  The Celtics were the more aggressive team, taking the ball to the hole.  The Lakers stood around shooting jump shots.  Obviously the team driving to the hoop is gonna pick up more fouls.  The C's were crushed from the line in the Cleveland series because the Cavs were the aggressor in that series.  The C's were the perimeter team.  You can't just discount that FACT.  And Leon Powe, once again, averaged the most FTA's for reserves this year and was among the league leaders in FTA per 48 minutes.  That wasn't exactly an aberration.  It's happened before.  Obviously just looking at the numbers it looks ridiculous and lopsided.  But if you really looked at how each team played it's tough to argue why there was such a disparity.  Obviously Laker fans, coaches, players are gonna voice their displeasure with the refs in hopes that that's the real problem and that it will be corrected back at home.  We'll see.  I gotta tell you though, if the Lakers play the same kind of perimeter oriented game they may end up on the short end of the stick again (in the free throw department at least).

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #347 on: June 10, 2008, 02:18:34 AM »

It's 5 on 8.  The Lakers are playing against the Celtics and the fucking zebras with whistles in their mouths.

hahaha This is the by far the funniest post I have ever read on this board...in any topic!  You are a LAKER fan and you are talking about being on the receiving end of bad officiating?!?!  The only reason the Lakers are even in the Finals is because the referees put them there...Try being a fan of a small market team like the Utah Jazz like I am...then come to me with this ref bullshit...you do realize that Kobe Bryant gets a foul call everytime a defender breathes on him or even looks at him the wrong way right??  How about the refs bailing the Lakers out in Game 5 against Utah?   How about the foul call when Luke Walton was apparently attempting a sky hook from 3 point land in the fourth quater of that game? How about the terrible job they did in the Spurs series? Don't worry about it you will get plenty of calls when the series moves back to L.A...I expect to see Kobe Bryant at the free thow line about 20 times in Game 3......bad officiating...you have got to be kidding me
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #348 on: June 10, 2008, 02:22:32 AM »

It's 5 on 8.  The Lakers are playing against the Celtics and the fucking zebras with whistles in their mouths.

I expect to see Kobe Bryant at the free thow line about 20 times in Game 3

I hope God takes that into account!  Smiley

hahaha This is the by far the funniest post I have ever read on this board...in any topic! 

Thanks?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #349 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »

Peopleneed to stop overreacting.

Boston took care of home court. The series doesnt start till a road team wins. So LA are still fine as long as they win.

if u are a gambling man, put your life savings on LA in game 3. they will not lose game 3.

LA are in a horrible situation though, they have to win all three at home or Boston will have 2 shots to  knock them out.

Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom have got to play like superstars.

Once LA got Gasol, I think they shouldve traded Odom.

Boston have gotten huge contributions from people u wouldnt expect and that shit doesnt happen on the road. u wont see Leon Powe doing that shit in games 3-5.

Its reallysimple if u are LA. make KG beat u.

Stop doubling him 18 feet from the basket. thats just retarded. KG is so unselfish, he isnt gonna score 30 on u like Pierce did.

reminds me of Dallas/Miami. Dallas kept double teaming Shaq when he was basically a decoy and washed up that year instead of doubling and taking the ball out of Wade's hands.

Let Pierce score his 25-30 and just play great team D on everyone else and u will win the game.

put Kobe on Pierce in the closing minutes if its close.

double teaming KG 20 feet from the basket causes horrible scrambles and boston have the shooters and ballhandlers to destroy that defensive strategy.

Kobe will turn back into Kobe, Gasol and Odom will wake up in LA and they will go on a tear.

It will be 2-2 and everyone will start jumping on the Laker bandwagon like the sky has fallen in Boston

Playoffs bring out the greatest in hyperbole.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:51:26 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

The Lakers did what they had to do, and they took the rock to the rim.

Sasha provided a HUGE lift off the bench.

Pau and Odom were trash, at least they made a few plays down the stretch.

Fuck P.J. Brown.

Ray Allen shouldn't score so many points.  He was 5 out of 5 from three point land at one point.

KG and Pierce were shut down, excellent!

Fuck P.J. Brown.

Oh, and the game would have been a blow out had Kobe and Pau made their free throws.

M-V-P!  M-V-P!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2008, 12:44:19 AM »

Why you hatin' on P.J. Brown so much?  What did he ever do? 

Celts played about as poorly as they could've on the offensive end outside of Ray Allen, yet they STILL had a chance down the stretch.  If only Eddie House made that chippy with around a minute to play to tie or cut the lead to 1, can't remember exactly.  Speaking of House, the C's seemed to be more effective tonight with him on the court instead of Rondo.  Rondo has struggled on the road in the playoffs.  Maybe something to look at the next 2 games.  Eddie may get increased minutes, Rondo a little less, and Cassell may have a permanent seat on the bench yet he'll somehow find a way to get some shots off from there.

I fully expected the Lakers to win tonight, although I was hoping the Celts would make a good showing.  And they did, and darnit they could've won.  Well, on to game 4.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #352 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:41 AM »

Why you hatin' on P.J. Brown so much?  What did he ever do? 

Being a little bitch toward Farmar?
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2008, 02:09:09 AM »

I'm hating on the announcers. According to them KG cheats and gets away with all kinds of shit, the celtics only won game 2 because the refs not because the lakers played like shit for 3 quarters and every play Kobe Bryant does is the best thing anybody has ever seen. I mean damn I know Kobe is great but fuck they act as if every single good play he makes is the best play ever made.

I expected the Celtics to come out flat on the road because they were 2-0 and thats just what they do sometimes. They came out flat. And even with the crappy play of PP and KG they still could of pulled it out. KG has lost his jumper this series. Lets see if he can get it back. The lakers finally decided to drive to the basket and they played more physical in this game than they did combined in the last two. Both teams shot poorly from the line. I did expect and still do expect the celtics to win the middle game in this 3 game stretch. Celtics will win it in 6. 

BEAT L.A.!!!! BEAT L.A.!!!! BEAT L.A.!!!! smoking
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:11:08 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:19 AM »

I mean damn I know Kobe is great but fuck they act as if every single good play he makes is the best play ever made.
try watching clips of Jordan.  The announcers orgazm over a crossover
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »

I didn't understand or agree with the Celtics defensive strategy down the stretch last night.  The last 3 possessions, before Lamar Odom stupidly took the ball to the rack and picked up an offensive foul when the Celts were letting the clock run out.

Anyhow, the Celtics decided to double Kobe Bryant, or trap him, however you want to put it, at HALF COURT.  Leaving Sasha wide open for a 3 in the corner.  Kobe's a great player, and deserves to be double teamed.  But not at half court.  As great as he is, he ain't gonna hurt you from half court.  Wait till he gets inside the 3 point line to double team the man.  Then the next 2 possessions they had Allen match up one on one with Kobe, and while he did an admirable job he was really no match for Kobe.  That's when they could've double teamed him, he was inside the 3 point line and obviously looking to take the shot.  Give Ray some help in THAT situation, not at half court.  Not that that's the reason the Celts lost, but a stop or 2 there sure would've helped, along with Eddie House not missing a 10 footer.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #356 on: June 11, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »

Fuck P.J. Brown.

Ray Allen shouldn't score so many points.  He was 5 out of 5 from three point land at one point.

Fuck P.J. Brown.

Oh, and the game would have been a blow out had Kobe and Pau made their free throws.

M-V-P!  M-V-P!

Shitty thing for LA is Pierce and KG will come out of a 1 game funk... Gasol and Odom have looked like shit for three games and I don't see that changing. Based on how bad Boston played, and still had a chance to take it in the final minutes, I can't see the Lakers taking 3 in LA. And they will not win 2 in Boston, so to put it simply.... Series over.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »

Fuck P.J. Brown.

Fuck P.J. Brown.

M-V-P!  M-V-P!

Shitty thing for LA is Pierce and KG will come out of a 1 game funk... Gasol and Odom have looked like shit for three games and I don't see that changing. Based on how bad Boston played, and still had a chance to take it in the final minutes, I can't see the Lakers taking 3 in LA. And they will not win 2 in Boston, so to put it simply.... Series over.
I wouldn't declare the series over yet.  Way too much basketball to be played to do that.  Although I hope you're right, and I do think the C's have a good chance at winning 1 game in LA.  They kept their composure last night which was good to see.  They kept themselves within striking distance.  And I do expect KG and Pierce to play better the next 2 games.  Odom has been garbage, Gasol played well in the first half of game 2 though.  The Lakers are soft up front though.  That frontline can be and should be dominated by the Celtics.  If only KG planted himself in the paint.  He, Kendrick, PJ, Powe should be able to have their way with those guys.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »

There are 4 games remaining, half of which are played in Boston. Do you really expect the Lakers team that we have seen through the last three games to win 3 out of the 4 remaining? Which would mean they will have to either sweep LA or if Boston takes 1 in LA they have to take the last 2 in Boston... I don't see how they do it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:26:47 PM by C0ma » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09:51 PM »

Well L.A. won game 3.

i was surprised. i thought this was going to be a sweep.

Gasol came on later, very late and Kobe was ridiculous once again.

2-1, if Boston wins game 4, this series is over, I know teams have come back from 3-1, but against this Boston team? Not happening.

Game 4 is key, Boston wins the title in my eyes if they wins this game, if L.A. wins this game, I think the Lakers are going to claw back in this series and win the title in 7. Pivitol game, just like game 3 was.

But don't damn me
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: