Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 10:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  1993 Nirvana year,yea right????
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1993 Nirvana year,yea right????  (Read 18976 times)
gnrkoncerti
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: June 05, 2005, 06:36:58 AM »

i got argentina 1993 dvd,and i'm very very impresed by it.
I don't know why gnr didn't realise it,but this show was amazing!!!
gnr were amazing,especialy Axl and crowd was different story.I have never seen something like that,80000 people was there and every man was jumping and singing with Axl and gnr!!!
But very sad thing is that it was a last gnr show!!!they were on the top then,and subject of my topic is ironic!!!

That was a gnr year
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 07:58:45 AM »

Even though the band was still touring in 1993, it was not a good year for the band. They were still milking UYI for all it was worth. In 1993, the band put out an album they didn't really care about. And not many people bought it. The promotion for TSI is the absolute worst effort I've ever seen at marketing an album. And the contrived effort at controversy with 'Look at your Game, Girl' was pathetic. The band had become a trainwreck, and everyone knew it. This is also the year Axl went into seclusion, to be seen only once in the next year at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. He wasn't seen again until his arrest in Phoenix in 1998. Also in 1993, Duff did his solo album. An awesome but very underrated record. He did little promotion for his album, and that effort shows in the record sales. You see 1993 as a great year for GNR. I disagree. It was the year that the band derailed. GNR made many mistakes that year, and the band(Axl and ex-members) still hasn't recovered from it.

Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:09:36 AM »

And the contrived effort at controversy with 'Look at your Game, Girl' was pathetic.

Don't know if it was recorded just for publicity's sake, but I actually like that song. Both the original and the GNR version.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
gnrkoncerti
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 09:47:14 AM »

Even though the band was still touring in 1993, it was not a good year for the band. They were still milking UYI for all it was worth. In 1993, the band put out an album they didn't really care about. And not many people bought it. The promotion for TSI is the absolute worst effort I've ever seen at marketing an album. And the contrived effort at controversy with 'Look at your Game, Girl' was pathetic. The band had become a trainwreck, and everyone knew it. This is also the year Axl went into seclusion, to be seen only once in the next year at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. He wasn't seen again until his arrest in Phoenix in 1998. Also in 1993, Duff did his solo album. An awesome but very underrated record. He did little promotion for his album, and that effort shows in the record sales. You see 1993 as a great year for GNR. I disagree. It was the year that the band derailed. GNR made many mistakes that year, and the band(Axl and ex-members) still hasn't recovered from it.

that was very very good year for a band(in europe they had one of the biggest tour ever),and they had a great tour all over the world.TSI were the album for hardcore fans,that wasn't imagine as commercial success album.It was cover album for hardcore fans!!!For me skin and bones part of uyi tour was the best!!!Just look at hartford or argentina shows.
And who cares what mtv or stupid commercial criticals said about "gnr in 1993".Years after 1993 said that they were wrong(mtv and criticals),because in years after that rnr were almost died!!!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 11:49:30 AM »

Guns n roses were still the biggest band in the world in 1993. TSI was just a fun album for the band to play covers they always wanted to put out.  Just look at some of the shows around the world gnr sold out.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:58:06 PM »

I never was into Nirvana. They are very overrated and they didn't sell that much records in fact. For me when Oasis came out in the mid-90's, they blew Nirvana away. Nirvana was just a small transition between the 2 biggest Rock phenomenon in the 90's: Guns N' Roses and Oasis.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »

i don`t think 93 was a bad year for gnr. the spaghetti incident sucked, but it was only a fun album and the concerts were the coolest of the tour imo.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 06:47:43 PM »

why does TSI have to be put down like that all the time?? Angry

Look At Your Game Girl is a track i love listening to man, you can slag it but dont say it was pathetic. Your just being rude man, what is so wrong with that song and the album???

it was a fun album for them to do after years of touring, well timed and cool, its not the worst thing ever to be released but.

I injoy TSI,  fuckin' cool shit!! ok
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 06:50:27 PM by ClintroN - Aftermath of the RoseS » Logged

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 06:52:13 PM »

Axls version of since I dont have you is better than the orginal. Also too bad slash was soo fucked up on that song he forgot to do a part thus that is why axl says well we're fucked.  They had to slice that part in from anohter part of the song.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 08:10:05 PM »

Regardless, in 1993 GNR became a self parody. And it pains me to say it but, I have come to accept this. GNR started to become the very thing they destroyed. They started blow drying their hair. They started performing the same routine and moves. They became caricatures and forgot to keep their ear to the very street that spawned them. Nirvana in a sense, did to GNR what GNR did to the lame gay ass colorful glam fake bullshit music that infested the music scene in the 80's (Metallica excluded).

I felt the change before Nirvana brought the grundge army. It hit me like a fist when I first saw the Tokyo Concert on video tape. It felt wrong. This was no longer my GNR. It was something else entirely and I didnt like it then, and I don't like it now. I knew things were getting bad when I saw them at the Colliseum and at the Rose bowl, and they had those dumb bitches playing flutes and shit on the stage. Or the insulting reggae shit they started doing during KOHD. But the Tokyo concert, things became clear. And honestly I am glad they broke up.

Yea I said it. I am glad happy smiling motherfucker. It ended before things got even more embarrassing. We were spared, and I appreciate that. The new GNR seems ,as crazy as is sounds, more real. I mean Buckethead, mask, KFC Bucket, and Herbie are more real to me then the sugar coated immitation that we were made to suffer through (and still do) to this day.

There was a shift n Rock music in '93, from fake to real. And Nirvana (love them or hate them) were on the front lines as GNR was in '87/'88.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 08:33:20 PM »

GNR were on there way out and Nirvana on top in `93 as far as the fickle mainstream was concerned.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 08:45:25 PM »

There was a shift n Rock music in '93, from fake to real. And Nirvana (love them or hate them) were on the front lines as GNR was in '87/'88.

Nice post Buddha, it was an interesting time to be a music fan for sure. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »

In 1993 GN'R played the largest concert ever staged in Australia, so I'd hardly call 1993 a bad year for them. And TSI sold ok here too considering it wasn't meant to be taken seriously anyway.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 09:15:38 PM »

I agree that GnR were behind the new wave, but I disagree that Nirvana was the main band of that new wave.  By 1993, it was undeniably Pearl Jam.  In Utero didn't sell over a million until Cobain shot himself.  Everybody was buying Vs by Pearl Jam in 1993, not In Utero.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »

Are we also talking worldwide influence?  Because I don't think Nirvana EVER captured more of the worldwide influence than GnR did.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

If you were a fan of Guns than 93 was a great year; awesome shows, a completely underrated album, and Being able to see Slash, Axl, and Duff together. For the rest of the music world it was not a great year for Guns. The all covers album gave them a bad rap then. Guns has and always will be better live than Nirvana. I like both bands but I love GNR because of their diversity. So for us 93 was the year of the Gunners. peace

They just thought Id know better. Better.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2005, 10:16:07 PM »

'93 was NOT the year of the Gunners. How can you even say that? Dude listen. Take the biggest fan of GNR. I want Chinese Democracy more then they do.

So let's be honest. This was the year that the classic GNR died, and "jumped the shark." Reflecting back clearly, the last great showing of GNR and Axl, was the Freddy Mercury concert. But things were already turning for the worse by this point. Opinions are opinions, but I can't for the life of me, see any real and honest fan in here thinking any different. There were great shows in 1993. But again, if we are being honest, none of them can compare to the now classic GNR Ritz show. By 1993, GNR already were becoming the pretty band. Not the dirty fuck you talented Rockers that made us dig them in the first place. The blow drying feathered hair and biker shorts are only mere examples of the hell that started to manifest. This was fucked up. 1993 sucks as a GNR fan. Its the year, for all intents and purposes, classic GNR died.

"ecause I don't think Nirvana EVER captured more of the worldwide influence than GnR did."

Of course not dude. But Nirvana captured the "Cool" that once belonged to GNR.

For some reason I can make a direct comparison to what has happened in the videogame world. Once upon a time, the definition of a Videogame, was Nintendo. Nintendo was the top of the console food chain. If you played videogames, you played Nintendo. A couple mistakes and side steps and this punkass kid came into the neighborhood, and convinced gamers that if they were "cool" they had to have a Playstation. See were I'm getting at? Fucking Nintendo can actually make among the best games in the market (shit, there new Zelda game won best game of E3 this year), and Sony doesn't really make games at all. But the Playstaion is for "Cool people." Nitendo got into a little pigeon hole they have been trying to get out of now for years.

Nirvana became the Playstation to GNR's Nintendo. Nintendo wants to be the "cool" thing again as I would have to think Axl wants  GNR to be.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »

I gotta agree that 1993 was the beginning of the end for GNR.  Their monsterous run was coming to a painful close with line up changes, turmoil, riots, drug use, and Axl losing his grip on sanity.  GNR came on the scene and grabbed up the whole market but they were pushed aside by several bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC, NIN, Soundgarden, etc.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2005, 10:42:34 PM »

But Nirvana captured the "Cool" that once belonged to GNR.

To take it one step further, their impact literally made things uncool overnight, stateside at least.

That sort of thing happens in cycles, same thing happened in '77 in England with the Pistols, 14 years later in the fall of '91 when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" broke.

It'll be interesting to see what young band has that sort impact next..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »

Axls version of since I dont have you is better than the orginal. Also too bad slash was soo fucked up on that song he forgot to do a part thus that is why axl says well we're fucked.? They had to slice that part in from anohter part of the song.

whats your source on this Dave as Ive never heard that said before?

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: