Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:50:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  1993 Nirvana year,yea right????
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1993 Nirvana year,yea right????  (Read 18971 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 11:55:27 PM »

Regardless, in 1993 GNR became a self parody. And it pains me to say it but, I have come to accept this. GNR started to become the very thing they destroyed. They started blow drying their hair. They started performing the same routine and moves. They became caricatures and forgot to keep their ear to the very street that spawned them. Nirvana in a sense, did to GNR what GNR did to the lame gay ass colorful glam fake bullshit music that infested the music scene in the 80's (Metallica excluded).

I felt the change before Nirvana brought the grundge army. It hit me like a fist when I first saw the Tokyo Concert on video tape. It felt wrong. This was no longer my GNR. It was something else entirely and I didnt like it then, and I don't like it now. I knew things were getting bad when I saw them at the Colliseum and at the Rose bowl, and they had those dumb bitches playing flutes and shit on the stage. Or the insulting reggae shit they started doing during KOHD. But the Tokyo concert, things became clear. And honestly I am glad they broke up.

Yea I said it. I am glad happy smiling motherfucker. It ended before things got even more embarrassing. We were spared, and I appreciate that. The new GNR seems ,as crazy as is sounds, more real. I mean Buckethead, mask, KFC Bucket, and Herbie are more real to me then the sugar coated immitation that we were made to suffer through (and still do) to this day.

There was a shift n Rock music in '93, from fake to real. And Nirvana (love them or hate them) were on the front lines as GNR was in '87/'88.

absolutley spot on  ok

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

In all fairness, GN'R in '93 were a band fulfilling touring commitments. Filled to the brim with session musicians, ego ramps and bloated self-indulgence. The classic GN'R were a bunch of unpredictable, rabble-rousing outlaws. GN'R in 93 (although they played some big shows) were desperately out of touch when compared to the likes of Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what young band has that sort impact next..

Never going to happen again.  Rock has been marginalized by splitting up into ever changing genres, hip hop, r and b, and something called MTV, which doesn't play music anymore.  There may be great young bands that have an impact.  But on that level, never again.  Not to mention huge demographic changes that are taking place in the states.  The deck is sure stacked against this next great band.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
gnrkoncerti
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 02:19:44 AM »

1992-1993 gnr were clasic huge rock band like zepellin,rollingstones,aerosmith!!!
Nirvana were cool,yea right,you want to say "drogs and suicide were cool"
Nirvana were cool on mtv and vh1 and usa and europe radio stations,but gnr had a true glory!!!
1993 gnr could made a sold out stadium show everywhere in the world,they were very very huge then
RichardNixon
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 07:50:40 AM »

Regardless, in 1993 GNR became a self parody. And it pains me to say it but, I have come to accept this. GNR started to become the very thing they destroyed. They started blow drying their hair. They started performing the same routine and moves. They became caricatures and forgot to keep their ear to the very street that spawned them. Nirvana in a sense, did to GNR what GNR did to the lame gay ass colorful glam fake bullshit music that infested the music scene in the 80's (Metallica excluded).

I felt the change before Nirvana brought the grundge army. It hit me like a fist when I first saw the Tokyo Concert on video tape. It felt wrong. This was no longer my GNR. It was something else entirely and I didnt like it then, and I don't like it now. I knew things were getting bad when I saw them at the Colliseum and at the Rose bowl, and they had those dumb bitches playing flutes and shit on the stage. Or the insulting reggae shit they started doing during KOHD. But the Tokyo concert, things became clear. And honestly I am glad they broke up.

Yea I said it. I am glad happy smiling motherfucker. It ended before things got even more embarrassing. We were spared, and I appreciate that. The new GNR seems ,as crazy as is sounds, more real. I mean Buckethead, mask, KFC Bucket, and Herbie are more real to me then the sugar coated immitation that we were made to suffer through (and still do) to this day.

There was a shift n Rock music in '93, from fake to real. And Nirvana (love them or hate them) were on the front lines as GNR was in '87/'88.

You could argue that GN'R went into self-parody in '92, with all those back-up singers and the horn section, costume changes and so on. But by 1993, the shows were far more stripped down, to just a six piece. GN'R big mistake was not releasing a new studio album in '94/95, they could have shared the spotilight with the alt/grunge bands, much like Aerosmith and Van Halen (before the singer fiasco).

If anything, GN'R kept it more real in '93 than they did in '92.

The whole Nirvana/GN'R thing is really a dead horse topic, but since it was brought up, I'll throw in my two cents.

I'll state the obvious. By the end of the old school GN'R's run, althought they were still very popular, GN'R weren't "cool." Nirvana was "cool." And thoughout the 1990s, Nirvana=cool, GN'R=not cool, at least among the hipsters.

But the 1990s are long, long over, and the dust has settled. In 2005, Nirvana is cool, GN'R is cool, and only the good things are remembered and the bad things are glossed over.

Here is some food for thought:

It was inevitable that GN'R, or any huge band would be challenged by a younger band.

Nirvana was only an active band with massive popularity for about 18 months or so. Say that Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself, I'm sure he would have been challenged by a younger band--it's the law of the jungle. If Cobain hadn't killed himself, probably Eminem would have been dissing him left and right in the late 90s, and Eminem would be cool among high-school kids, and Cobain wouldn't be cool.

In the final analysis, don't let MTV, the radio, or any tendy hipster, or "people that matter" tell you what is cool, and what you should or shouldn't listen to.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 08:08:35 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 12:24:25 PM »

I'm sure he would have been challenged by a younger band--
In Europe, Oasis stopped the "Nirvanamania" around 1995/96. It was a new wave for a new generation. And Oasis went HUGE In 1997 here. I think between 1994 and 1998 they sold almost 25 million records just in Europe. Too bad America never really got into them. In France, I have the impression Guns N' Roses music is very appreciated, but most of pople don't like their image. One of the most repetitive critiscism I heard about GN'R in France is that people still remember them a huge "American business" band. The "yankee"s band", with Axl wearing american flag and supporting USA (it's normal this is HIS Country!) etc...that kind of criticism has always annoyed me. Guns N' Roses have been seen as an arrogant American big-budget band here. France has always prefered "alternative" bands like Nirvana (smaller ambition) because it's a shame here to be successfull and ambitious. Anything "big budget Star-System" thing coming from America in general gets a bad reputation . As well in the society (food, cinema, television etc...) that in the music. It may be due to the legendary anti-american french vibe, you know, nobody will never change that here, it's full of "clich?s" on the "Yankees"... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 01:28:09 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 04:49:46 PM »

To take it one step further, their impact literally made things uncool overnight, stateside at least.

That sort of thing happens in cycles, same thing happened in '77 in England with the Pistols, 14 years later in the fall of '91 when "Smells Like Teen Spirit" broke.

It'll be interesting to see what young band has that sort impact next..
And London Calling - The Clash "Ha! You think it's funny? Turning rebellion into money?"

The Pistols is remarkable chiefly for the marketing and imagery, designed by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren. "and Now, drop your money!"

The following might reinforce your point.

Punk rock was also a reaction against certain tendencies that had overtaken popular music in the 1970s, including what the punks saw as superficial "disco" music and grandiose forms of heavy metal, progressive rock and "arena rock." Punk also rejected the remnants of the hippie counterculture of the 1960s. Most punks as having become fatuous and an embarrassment to their former claims of radicality regarded bands such as Jefferson Airplane, which had survived the 1960s. Eric Clapton's appearance in television beer ads in the mid-1970s was often cited as an example of how the icons of 1960s rock had literally sold themselves to the system they once opposed.

Never going to happen again. 

It's coming sometime or other from nowhere maybe beyond the seas
Maybe it will be something beyond your grasp or you wish never to see.

It's the world of art where cruel god rules. Constant shake-ups are essential to the life of the art which would otherwise get stuck like classical stuffs. It's like the vicissitudes of the plants world. All that bloom must decline. However perennials such as roses flower again when the season comes unlike annuals. Cool
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 05:18:53 PM »

O.K someone said that blowdrying your hair made them a worse band! Who cares! The biker shorts? He certainly wasnt wearing them to be cool or not himself, that was him he wanted to wear them. I dont think it would matter if he wore tight leather pants or his biker shorts. Chinses Democracy is the only thing that has made them a "Parody" and I cant wait for it

StoneTempleRoses

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 12:01:16 AM »

Nirvana was only an active band with massive popularity for about 18 months or so. Say that Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself, I'm sure he would have been challenged by a younger band--it's the law of the jungle. If Cobain hadn't killed himself, probably Eminem would have been dissing him left and right in the late 90s, and Eminem would be cool among high-school kids, and Cobain wouldn't be cool.

When Kurt shot himself, Nirvana had already been surpassed by Pearl Jam.

Funny though, Eminem did diss Cobain on his first major release.  Made fun of him shooting himself actually. 

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 12:27:32 AM »

O.K someone said that blowdrying your hair made them a worse band! Who cares! The biker shorts? He certainly wasnt wearing them to be cool or not himself, that was him he wanted to wear them. I dont think it would matter if he wore tight leather pants or his biker shorts. Chinses Democracy is the only thing that has made them a "Parody" and I cant wait for it

StoneTempleRoses

So by your logic Axl could have taken one step further and started wearing makeup again then too right? GNR could have gone back and be completely glam in '93 and you would be one happy motherfucker huh? Explain your logic about CD being a parody? The new band seems very original and different, even Axl himself. Certaintly tracks like Madagascar aren't very old school GNR either. I dig that shit by the way. Mad kicks ass. You seem to be like Willy Wonka here, and are just twisting things around to be funny. So, you trying to be funny?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 12:46:09 AM »

Not hardly.

Though PJ had it moments, their lmpact can best be described as the second man on the moon.

That said, PJ's cool factor had also far surpassed GNR's...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 01:05:06 AM »

well unfortunately, Nirvana started taking over in 1993.  But GNR was still the biggest band on the planet. i know that might not make alot of sense.,, but its true...you see the Nirvana thing,,,i just dont get it,,, i mean i like them, but i didnt see what they were so special for.  I honestly believe if Kurt never killed himself they never would be held in such high regard as they are now.  For the record,, Oasis was 10 times bigger than Nirvana on a world wide scale.
RichardNixon
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 02:15:14 AM »

Not hardly.

Though PJ had it moments, their lmpact can best be described as the second man on the moon.

Nirvana had trouble selling out there '93 tour in the states, while Pearl Jam's "vs." sold 1.5 million the week it was released. PJ was the big band in '93, not Nirvana. And "cool factor"? Who gives a fuck what some dorky college flannel wearing kid, or some snooty, ivory tower critic thinks is cool.

Nirvana may have been the first alt. band to make it though, opening the doors for others, but by 1993, Pearl Jam was the biggest band in the States, if not the world, not Nirvana, or GN'R.

And you can go on about Nirvana changing pop culture all you want, I don't care. I liked Nirvana, but Guns will always be a better band, IMHO, which means as much as anyone elses.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 02:22:13 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 02:29:26 AM »

'93 was a pretty good year for GN'R.  Unfortuately it was their last good year.  It was pretty much the beginning of the end.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 04:31:06 AM »

Not hardly.

Nirvana had trouble selling out there '93 tour in the states, while Pearl Jam's "vs." sold 1.5 million the week it was released. PJ was the big band in '93, not Nirvana. And "cool factor"? Who gives a fuck what some dorky college flannel wearing kid, or some snooty, ivory tower critic thinks is cool.

Nirvana may have been the first alt. band to make it though, opening the doors for others, but by 1993, Pearl Jam was the biggest band in the States, if not the world, not Nirvana, or GN'R.

And you can go on about Nirvana changing pop culture all you want, I don't care. I liked Nirvana, but Guns will always be a better band, IMHO, which means as much as anyone elses.

pearl jam was very big band but never something like guns n roses!!!
They have never had tour (in usa and the res of he world) like uyi tour!!!

i think hat 1993 was great year for gnr,and my favorites shows were from 1993(argentina,hartford...0

I have never seen so many tree
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 04:37:37 AM »

I never liked nirvana I'll try to explain.......the album nevermind   it was like they made a cliche out of their own songs within that single album.....right that's what it was same fuckin formula over and over and over................

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 07:33:46 AM »

Explain your logic about CD being a parody? The new band seems very original and different, even Axl himself.

Chinese Democracy is a joke it should have been out at least 5 years ago, Axl has braids, Buckethead was in the band, to you thats original to most people its weird and not Guns N Roses. No I wouldnt care if they went back to glam its still Axl, He's wearing oversize jerseys now!

StoneTempleRoses

Elrothiel
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 09:52:10 AM »

'93 was NOT the year of the Gunners. How can you even say that? Dude listen. Take the biggest fan of GNR. I want Chinese Democracy more then they do.

So let's be honest. This was the year that the classic GNR died, and "jumped the shark." Reflecting back clearly, the last great showing of GNR and Axl, was the Freddy Mercury concert. But things were already turning for the worse by this point. Opinions are opinions, but I can't for the life of me, see any real and honest fan in here thinking any different. There were great shows in 1993. But again, if we are being honest, none of them can compare to the now classic GNR Ritz show. By 1993, GNR already were becoming the pretty band. Not the dirty fuck you talented Rockers that made us dig them in the first place. The blow drying feathered hair and biker shorts are only mere examples of the hell that started to manifest. This was fucked up. 1993 sucks as a GNR fan. Its the year, for all intents and purposes, classic GNR died.

"ecause I don't think Nirvana EVER captured more of the worldwide influence than GnR did."

Of course not dude. But Nirvana captured the "Cool" that once belonged to GNR.

For some reason I can make a direct comparison to what has happened in the videogame world. Once upon a time, the definition of a Videogame, was Nintendo. Nintendo was the top of the console food chain. If you played videogames, you played Nintendo. A couple mistakes and side steps and this punkass kid came into the neighborhood, and convinced gamers that if they were "cool" they had to have a Playstation. See were I'm getting at? Fucking Nintendo can actually make among the best games in the market (shit, there new Zelda game won best game of E3 this year), and Sony doesn't really make games at all. But the Playstaion is for "Cool people." Nitendo got into a little pigeon hole they have been trying to get out of now for years.

Nirvana became the Playstation to GNR's Nintendo. Nintendo wants to be the "cool" thing again as I would have to think Axl wants GNR to be.
Nice comparison between music and videogames Buddha! I always loved Nintendo games, and yea, although PlayStation games rock, Nintendo is the King of Games!! Come on! Who doesn't love MarioKart 64? Fucking classic game! hihi
But yea... I'll turn off my geek mode now.
Nirvana will never be as big as Guns were, and seriously... Nirvana only got insanely popular after Kurt died. I went through a Nirvana phase a couple of years ago, and I still like them, but not like I love Gn'R. Gn'R will always be the first band I listen to when I feel either insanely down, or insanely happy. Gn'R are like my best friend. Nirvana are more like a friend I used to be close with, but have lost touch.
Obviously my real best friend is my boyfriend, and its the same the other way around, but... because we both need to do our own thing, we're going through a rough patch, and it'll probably end soon, and it fucking hurts, but hopefully in the future we'll get back together when we've gotten our shit sorted out.

And... "cool factor"Huh WTF? Who gives two shits about what someone else thinks is cool?! Hell, someone could like a band or musician who isn't "cool", thinks its cool, not give a fuck about what anyone else thinks, and that would make that person the "coolest" dude ever! Reason: Because he/she doesn't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks is cool!

Fuck the word "cool". It ACTUALLY means "not hot, slightly cold" so... how does it mean "awesome"?
The world of entertainment is fucked. It started to be fucked when nu-metal and emo came along. Maaan... what a sad world its become.
I wish I lived in the 80s. It would have been way better. Grrr....
madagas
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:30 AM »

Gnr, even in 1993, was a bigger band than Nirvana and Pearl Jam on a worldwide scale. I'll bet anyone any amount of money that they sold more concert tickets and albums from 1991 to 1994 than both Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Now being cool is another story and is certainly debatable. As far as another 1991 Nirvana or an 1987 Gnr emerging to clean the slate, I don't see it on the immediate horizon. It will happen but it could be another 10 years. This is a pretty long drought without a revolutionary rock trend happening. My theory is that everything has been done in the traditional rock format-Bass, guitar, drums, keys. I only hope for a return of quality-because everything in rock is retro now. Cry Cry
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 10:39:57 AM »

Hey that was me!!!  What did I ever do to you?  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: