Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 10:56:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  1993 Nirvana year,yea right????
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1993 Nirvana year,yea right????  (Read 18976 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2005, 01:48:15 PM »

Look at the closthes Van Halen used to where in David Lee Roth era....
Look at Shout at the Devil Crue....

Early guns dressed as "Faggots!!!" too and that's when they wrote all the stuff for AFD so who gives a shit what someone looks like if their music is good?!!!

Iron Maiden dressed pretty gay too

What about Ozzy after he left Sabbath? he was pretty stylin'

Metallica wasn't really the same style of music as Glam Rock or Hair Metal or whatever IMO. In fact they were almost underground until "the Black Album".  The only reason Metallica is compared to GnR is because they toured together. Besides metallica is Shit now. Go listen to Megadeth if you wanna hear what Metallica should've evolved into.  Dave Mustaine Kicks!!!!

You are tripping too. I garauntee you that if GNR released videos for Appetite with them all glammed up (WTTJ Axl was suppose to look insane so that doesn't count IMO), GNR would not be the GNR we all know and love. Image is very import for a rock band. So a bands image goes hand in hand with their music. You cant seperate the two.

Metallica is shit now? Do me a favor and pick up the DVD of S&M and listen to it proper like (a good 5.1 settup) and then come back here. Metallica was Metal, but then created there own genre sometime during Ride the Lightning. They really just play Metallica music. That's the genre they are in. I have always felt sorry for Dave Mustaine and if you watch im in Metallica's Some Kind of Monster Documentary you will too. When you feel sorry for a Rock musician, they are no longer cool, and are quite pathetic. That coupled with his annoying voice makes Mustaine a very unenjoyable musician. Im glad someone out there likes Megadeth though. I guess its cool he has a fan in you brother.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »

Goddamn I hate Glam. I cant even look at those pics...I wouldnt want someone to walk into my office and see old pics of Crue and Axl on my comp. Theyd get the wrong idea. That was too wrong.

And Metallica never was devil shit. And Metallica was Metal (hence the name).

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2005, 01:57:33 PM »

Look at the closthes Van Halen used to where in David Lee Roth era....
Look at Shout at the Devil Crue....

Early guns dressed as "Faggots!!!" too and that's when they wrote all the stuff for AFD so who gives a shit what someone looks like if their music is good?!!!

Iron Maiden dressed pretty gay too

What about Ozzy after he left Sabbath? he was pretty stylin'

Metallica wasn't really the same style of music as Glam Rock or Hair Metal or whatever IMO. In fact they were almost underground until "the Black Album".? The only reason Metallica is compared to GnR is because they toured together. Besides metallica is Shit now. Go listen to Megadeth if you wanna hear what Metallica should've evolved into.? Dave Mustaine Kicks!!!!

You are tripping too. I garauntee you that if GNR released videos for Appetite with them all glammed up (WTTJ Axl was suppose to look insane so that doesn't count IMO), GNR would not be the GNR we all know and love. Image is very import for a rock band. So a bands image goes hand in hand with their music. You cant seperate the two.

Metallica is shit now? Do me a favor and pick up the DVD of S&M and listen to it proper like (a good 5.1 settup) and then come back here. Metallica was Metal, but then created there own genre sometime during Ride the Lightning. They really just play Metallica music. That's the genre they are in. I have always felt sorry for Dave Mustaine and if you watch im in Metallica's Some Kind of Monster Documentary you will too. When you feel sorry for a Rock musician, they are no longer cool, and are quite pathetic. That coupled with his annoying voice makes Mustaine a very unenjoyable musician. Im glad someone out there likes Megadeth though. I guess its cool he has a fan in you brother.

To tell you the truth I haven't seen Some kind of Monster. but the St. Anger album blew tremendous chunks!!! And don't deny it!! The S&M Cd rules though you are correct, but, that was then. ?Megadeth are still going strong though. He is a fucking brilliant guitarist and his two newest albums "the world needs a hero" and "The System has Failed" are amazing. Do Yourself a favour and listen to them badboys. and about his singing. he sings with his teeth clenched you try to play guitar like that and sing ?Grin . besides he writes EVERYTHING for megadeth and almost half of the tunes on Metallica's first 2 albums. "Mechanix" compared to "horsemen" is no comparison "Mechanix" is waayyyyyyyyyyyyy faster.

EDIT:? I have the Cliff's first show when Metallica is Hetfield, Ulrich, Burton and Mustaine. It rules!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 02:04:13 PM by Neemo » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2005, 02:08:52 PM »

Falcon, I am gonna have to call you out.? Sure, album sales aren't everything.? But this is telling, In Utero had sold as many albums as The Speghetti Incident right before Cobain Shot himself.? That would be 1 million.? Don't even try to tell me that Nirvana was still the number one rock band right before the shotgun blast.

Just what are you calling me out on? 

Bigger, #1, etc. are all relative, who the hell cares? 

I'm talking about impact, perception and influence.

Madagas gets it, you obviously don't.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2005, 02:24:02 PM »

Even though Megadeth kick tremendous ass they will be probably done by the end of the year so Dave can go solo, well it is basically Dave Mustaine plus three other (very talented) musicians playing Megadeth songs.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »

It is better to burn out than fade away.

By 1994, Nirvana was fading pretty fast.  Kurt also talked about doing more of a folk thing in the future.  He realized his influence on the genre was never going to be near what it was just a year before.  He made his impact in 91/92.  But his influence had dwindled by 1993/94.  He realized it, you don't.

Do you remember who was on the cover of Time magazine in 1993 as the leader of this rock movement, that was Eddie Vedder.  Time magazine's only prerogative was to take the biggest act in the genre and put them on the cover, it was Pearl Jam.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »

It is better to burn out than fade away.

By 1994, Nirvana was fading pretty fast.? Kurt also talked about doing more of a folk thing in the future.? He realized his influence on the genre was never going to be near what it was just a year before.? He made his impact in 91/92.? But his influence had dwindled by 1993/94.? He realized it, you don't.

Do you remember who was on the cover of Time magazine in 1993 as the leader of this rock movement, that was Eddie Vedder.? Time magazine's only prerogative was to take the biggest act in the genre and put them on the cover, it was Pearl Jam.

Whatever, if Nirvana hadn't gotten the exposure they did I doubt the other "seattle" bands would broke either. Nirvana started "Grunge" so there Tongue

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2005, 02:40:37 PM »

Nirvana did not start grunge, they were simply the first ones to hit it big.  Alice in Chains had an album out, Soundgarden, the Screaming Trees, Mudoney, etc.  were all out before Nevermind. 

On topic, how about 1993 being the year for Alice in Chains?  Dirt was released in fall of 1992, they did Lollapalooza in 1993 and Jar of Flies came out to debut at #1.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2005, 02:42:50 PM »

Nirvana did not start grunge, they were simply the first ones to hit it big.? Alice in Chains had an album out, Soundgarden, the Screaming Trees, Mudoney, etc.? were all out before Nevermind.?

On topic, how about 1993 being the year for Alice in Chains?? Dirt was released in fall of 1992, they did Lollapalooza in 1993 and Jar of Flies came out to debut at #1.

Whatever, to the public eye they were first.  "Smells like teen spirit" started the movement.

gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »

Nirvana may get the credit but it is undeserved.  The public is always right, huh?  The public elected Bush, empowered Hitler, accepted slavery, it must be OK because veryone says it's so.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »

Kurt also talked about doing more of a folk thing in the future.?...

Actually, he spoke of joining Hole, but that's neither here nor there...

But his influence had dwindled by 1993/94. ?He realized it, you don't.

Their impact was still the most prevelent force in the entire music business in '93-94. ?Hell, most of the modern rock stations still here today in the US made the official change to that format in the fall of '94, ommitting bands like GNR, The Crue, Skid Row and the like from their playlists.

Do you remember who was on the cover of Time magazine in 1993 as the leader of this rock movement, that was Eddie Vedder.? Time magazine's only prerogative was to take the biggest act in the genre and put them on the cover, it was Pearl Jam.

Again, not talking about "biggest"..

Not diminishing PJ by any means, nor GNR for that matter, but just like Rotten/The Sex Pistols were the face of punk, Cobain/NIrvana will always be perceived as the leaders of the movement, the focus of the change from excess to angst.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2005, 03:06:41 PM »

Dude if Nirvana became popular first then why is it wrong to give them credit for getting noticed first? ?If Nirvana didn't get noticed then AIC Soundgarden and PearlJam likely wouldn't have made it because there would've been no media interest in Seattle. Get what I'm saying?

the Screaming Trees and Mudoney just suck IMHO

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »

1993 was the year of Pearl Jam "VS" was released on October 19, 1993 debuted at number 1 with 995.000 units sold in it's first week.Without having a video on mtv .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2005, 01:27:18 AM »

Pearl Jam were huge alright, they fizzled as well and the "cool factor" abandoned them long ago

Nirvana have been immortalised as the very defintion of "cool"

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2005, 04:12:17 AM »

You people are lumping "glam" bands all together like they're all the same.  Being glam is about the look of a band.  Galm bands ranged from Poison, to Motley Crue (for one album), to Hanoi Rocks, to the New York Dolls.  These bands looked similar, but none of them sound real similar.  Even in the genre of hair metal, bands sounded way different.  Listen to Poison, Motley Crue, and Cinderella.  If you think that they sound the same then either A. You weren't really listening, or B. You're a frigging moron.  Lumping bands into one classification based on their looks is totally stupid.  Also about White Lion, of course they're not as good as Metallica was back in the day, but if you don't think Vito Bratta was an excellent guitarist then you don't know what you're talking about.  Some of the metalest people I know, people who love Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Testament, and really heavy stuff like that have tons of respect for Bratta and own White Lion albums.  I've said it on this board tons of times, to dismiss all hair metal as talentless crap is totally wrong.  Some of the most talented musicians in rock have come out of hair metal.  I'll take it over grunge any day of the fucking week, and twice on Sunday.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Elrothiel
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2005, 06:07:38 AM »

You people are lumping "glam" bands all together like they're all the same. Being glam is about the look of a band. Galm bands ranged from Poison, to Motley Crue (for one album), to Hanoi Rocks, to the New York Dolls. These bands looked similar, but none of them sound real similar. Even in the genre of hair metal, bands sounded way different. Listen to Poison, Motley Crue, and Cinderella. If you think that they sound the same then either A. You weren't really listening, or B. You're a frigging moron. Lumping bands into one classification based on their looks is totally stupid. Also about White Lion, of course they're not as good as Metallica was back in the day, but if you don't think Vito Bratta was an excellent guitarist then you don't know what you're talking about. Some of the metalest people I know, people who love Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Testament, and really heavy stuff like that have tons of respect for Bratta and own White Lion albums. I've said it on this board tons of times, to dismiss all hair metal as talentless crap is totally wrong. Some of the most talented musicians in rock have come out of hair metal. I'll take it over grunge any day of the fucking week, and twice on Sunday.
Hell. Fuckin. Yea!!!!!!
Ha, I used to think exactly the opposite of what you said, but that died a long time ago. Now, I find grunge kinda boring and angsty, although I will listen to it if I feel like it, but I WAY prefer hair metal and glam... only bands I completely fucking hate in those genres are Poison and Bon Jovi... *shudders* although Blaze of Glory was... halfish decent I guess, but... MOTLEY CRUE FUCKIN' ROCK!!! Just because they wore makeup does NOT make them a shit band! Actually... it makes them better because they're going against the grain and doing something thats considered "weird". SO FUCKING WHAT!!!! METAL IS SUPPOSED TO BE WEIRD!!!! (as someone pointed out before... can't remember who... sorry!).
Its bloody annoying when people say "This band's just selling out because they're trying to look "pretty"!" Motley Crue never sold out except for that crappy grungey album they put out when grunge was all the rage,. THAT'S selling out. (Well... trying to, that album didn't do very well at all!).
And I happen to LOVE the way Gn'R looked in the 80s! Fucking sexy! And sure, for a while they did wear makeup... but it was different to how Motley Crue wore makeup! Gn'R did it DIRTILY (although that pic of Axl in gothy makeup is HILARIOUS!) and yea, they stopped wearing makeup after a while, but everyone has to experiment right? Its a part of life! If someone told me I couldn't dye my hair blue because I would be doing just what everyone else was doing, I'd still do it, not because I wanted to be like everyone else, but because I'd be interested to see what I'd look like with blue hair!
What I say is this: If you want to do something, DO IT! So fucking what if someone else has already done it, if YOU want to do it, then YOU do it! Fuck what everyone else thinks, just DO IT for YOURSELF!
There, I'll shut up now.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2005, 10:20:41 AM »

You people are lumping "glam" bands all together like they're all the same. Being glam is about the look of a band. Galm bands ranged from Poison, to Motley Crue (for one album), to Hanoi Rocks, to the New York Dolls. These bands looked similar, but none of them sound real similar. Even in the genre of hair metal, bands sounded way different. Listen to Poison, Motley Crue, and Cinderella. If you think that they sound the same then either A. You weren't really listening, or B. You're a frigging moron. Lumping bands into one classification based on their looks is totally stupid. Also about White Lion, of course they're not as good as Metallica was back in the day, but if you don't think Vito Bratta was an excellent guitarist then you don't know what you're talking about. Some of the metalest people I know, people who love Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Testament, and really heavy stuff like that have tons of respect for Bratta and own White Lion albums. I've said it on this board tons of times, to dismiss all hair metal as talentless crap is totally wrong. Some of the most talented musicians in rock have come out of hair metal. I'll take it over grunge any day of the fucking week, and twice on Sunday.
Hell. Fuckin. Yea!!!!!!
Ha, I used to think exactly the opposite of what you said, but that died a long time ago. Now, I find grunge kinda boring and angsty, although I will listen to it if I feel like it, but I WAY prefer hair metal and glam... only bands I completely fucking hate in those genres are Poison and Bon Jovi... *shudders* although Blaze of Glory was... halfish decent I guess, but... MOTLEY CRUE FUCKIN' ROCK!!! Just because they wore makeup does NOT make them a shit band! Actually... it makes them better because they're going against the grain and doing something thats considered "weird". SO FUCKING WHAT!!!! METAL IS SUPPOSED TO BE WEIRD!!!! (as someone pointed out before... can't remember who... sorry!).
Its bloody annoying when people say "This band's just selling out because they're trying to look "pretty"!" Motley Crue never sold out except for that crappy grungey album they put out when grunge was all the rage,. THAT'S selling out. (Well... trying to, that album didn't do very well at all!).
And I happen to LOVE the way Gn'R looked in the 80s! Fucking sexy! And sure, for a while they did wear makeup... but it was different to how Motley Crue wore makeup! Gn'R did it DIRTILY (although that pic of Axl in gothy makeup is HILARIOUS!) and yea, they stopped wearing makeup after a while, but everyone has to experiment right? Its a part of life! If someone told me I couldn't dye my hair blue because I would be doing just what everyone else was doing, I'd still do it, not because I wanted to be like everyone else, but because I'd be interested to see what I'd look like with blue hair!
What I say is this: If you want to do something, DO IT! So fucking what if someone else has already done it, if YOU want to do it, then YOU do it! Fuck what everyone else thinks, just DO IT for YOURSELF!
There, I'll shut up now.

I know none of them sounded similar but they were all grouped together. Some of the bands I like:

GnR, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Crue, Poison, Warrant, Tesla, Skid Row and VanHalen

They were/are all considered Hair bands, whether you like it or not, but they sound nothing alike.

Other bands I realy like:

Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera
STP, PJ, AIC, Nirvana

White Snake had 1 good tune IMO. As to comparing these bands to metallica, You just can't. totally different style, sound, feel.

Like, fuck man, try to compare the "Master of Puppets" song by metallica to "unskinny Bop" by poison, and then to "Rooster" by AIC hihi rofl , you just can't

By is CC Deville a good Guitarist? I think so
Is Kirk Hammet? Yeah!
Is Jerry cantrell? Fuckin' Right.

Now where was I going with this?

Oh yeah..btw sorry for rambling.. but AIC also sounds nothing like Nirvana, who don't sound like PJ who don't sound like Soundgarden
Pantera doesn't sound like metallica.  Get what I'm sayin'? these bands are grouped together all the time but none of them really have the same sound. Well nowadays, everything sounds like Nickleback, but before that bands usually had a unique sound. and they were still grouped together.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: