Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Buying music in 2014
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying music in 2014  (Read 5158 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: May 09, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »

It's quite apparent that people don't buy music like they used to. Lots of retailers are gone. Not only independent stores, but also chains that used to be huge.

Do you still buy music? How and where? Digital only or physical cds?

I still get cds when it's a band I really like, otherwise I go the digital route. Sometimes I get the vinyl, depends on the packaging and the artist.
iTunes is pretty easy to use for a song or two. Or full albums when it's the only option.

I remember buying records through mail order catalogs. Then the stores went online and it was way easier to order. Then they started disappearing.
The same with physical stores. Going record hunting used to be a way to spend a day in any big city you visited. Now if you find a store or two, it's kinda amazing...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

I try to buy Records & CDs when possible, but like you said, stores are disappearing and options are limited.

The only stores within 10 miles of my house are a record exchange, which is great for old records, but nothing current, and a Newbury Comics, which used to be a stand alone, but recently moved into a large mall. One of my least favorite places to visit.

I went in there Tuesday looking to purchase Joseph Huber?s new record that came out that day.
Wasn?t in stock, so I bought it on iTunes.

Kind of sucks paying $10 for a record when it used to get you the artwork, booklet, lyrics etc.

Buying a CD used to be more of an event. Especially when I was younger, trying to find a ride, skipping school, catching a bus to the store to hopefully get CD(in the long box) the day of release before they sold out! ha
Reading the lyrics while listening to it for first time.
Practically all my wall space used to be covered by mounted CD racks.

I wouldn?t need to skip school, catch a bus, or have those bulky CD racks on my wall today, but strange to think just how different it is for kids today.
Not to mention that the quality (or lack thereof) of popular music itself today is the worst it?s been since the inception of music(in my humble opinion of course).

The digital download has it?s perks. The convenience is nice, but it does seem to cheapen the experience a bit.
Vinyl made a resurgence for a while around here, but seems to have fizzled back out.
Cool that more bands are making it available to order online, though.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »

Even thou i listnen music pretty much only via computer or ipod. I buy cd's( alot of them actually) the only music i have bought online ever was the bumblefoot 2011 singles, and cds in ebay.

I just want to have the physichal copy somewhere, nowdays i dont even look at the inner sleeves much, i buy the cd (sometimes vinyl when extra good) burn it to itunes, and voila! everything happens electronically from there, because my stereo system is better in my computer than my cd player, and i monstly listen with headphones anyway.

Im fortunate enough that in Helsinki you have a few good record shops. I totally get why cd's suck and vinyl is better and itunes is easyer. For now i dont have a record player, and the kicks i get when  i  get a cd is just too high to stop.   Quick example. yesturday i bought NIN'S The Slip and cd at their concert, tomorrow im of to buy Brody Dalle's New album and Down's new EP. downloading it online would feel kind of like instead of buying a car, buyin the same car in Gran Turismo 6.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:41:10 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
MNGS717
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »

I always try to buy something new each month, mostly vinyl, but sometimes CDs.  There are a couple cool record stores around an hour from where I live, also flea markets sometimes on weekends. 

Usually I buy through the mail direct from smaller indie labels or direct from the bands if they have that option.  Last year for Record Store Day I bought a subscription called "Under One Flag" 7" vinyl series which included a new record every week with bands from 6 different street punk labels.  I paid for quarterly shipments because it was cheaper than getting a package every week for a year!

On another note:  The mall store where I work part time is changing over to vinyl only because CD's are just not selling as well anymore.  At least at our store.

12/6/02 Philly
11/20/11 Wilkes-Barre,PA
2/23/12 Silver Spring, MD
5/13/14 Bethlehem,PA
6/26/16 Landover,Md
7/14/16 Philly
8/13/17 Hershey
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 03:35:29 AM »

Spotify....Only Gn'R and Hanoi Rocks related I buy physical products from. And Izzy Stradlin on Itunes. Most of my CDs are collecting dust in the attic. Feel a little bad about it though. I also remember the feeling of searching through a record store for gold, discovering new stuff, and always check if the record stores had the Guns CDs.

Remember when I was going to a store, planning to buy the first Snakepit CD. The guy who worked there talked me into buying a Edguy-CD instead. God, what a horrible choice. I felt like being cheated. That's one of the things you don't need to experience with Spotify.

But all in all, much better to sit and read through the booklet of a CD or vinyl while listening through an album for the first time! Should really buy more CDs or LPs....

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

I was a downloading motherfucker before I had a job. I always had in mind to start buying CDs when I got steady money and I've kept true to it for the last 3 years.

Just a couple of weeks ago I actually removed every single downloaded song off my computer and imported my CDs instead.

I also pay for Spotify Premium and before I buy the CDs I listen to them on there for a while to see if I like it enough, if I do it's a certain purchase.

I buy all CDs online, last record I bought in a store was actually Chinese Democracy. It's pure laziness on my part, I know they're a dying breed but that's what I do.

Newest album I bought was SchoolBoy Q's Oxymoron in March. Next on the list will most likely be Down IV part 2 which is released tuesday I think. Still buy old records so my collection is always growing.

Here's my collection if there's any interest. Sorta small but it's only 3 years old yet. http://www.discogs.com/user/PepperKeenan/collection
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »

Newest album I bought was SchoolBoy Q's Oxymoron in March. Next on the list will most likely be Down IV part 2 which is released tuesday I think. Still buy old records so my collection is always growing.

Here's my collection if there's any interest. Sorta small but it's only 3 years old yet. http://www.discogs.com/user/PepperKeenan/collection
The Down ep was released here yesterday.
Its the heavy'est shit ever.  drool

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »

Nice collection CheapJon. But H?kan Hellstr?m? Wtf  hihi

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:40:52 AM »

Nice collection CheapJon. But H?kan Hellstr?m? Wtf  hihi

Embarrassed rofl

dem catchy songs wid dat schreeching voice, reminds me of the red headed one, alright it doesn't but hey we all have those guilty pleasures smoking
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »

I rarely buy anymore. I either listen on youtube or get it elsewhere. I buy band-merch when I can.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »

So you always rely on listening to music online?
And if you travel abroad? You can't listen on a plane if it doesn't have wifi... Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »

Xfer from pc to phone. i r a downloading mtrfkr Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:35:48 PM by norway » Logged

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »

Great topic! The local independent music store in my town closed down about a year ago and I order CD's from Amazon now. Not the same but I still like the physical copy of music I really want. I buy far less CD's than I did in the past mostly because I own hundreds, filled up cases and have started to run out of places to put them. I also find myself with less time to listen to music than I used to have.

I started downloading individual songs from iTunes about 2 years ago and have purchased about a hundred since. I check out things on YouTube or Vevo occasionally. Never download illegally.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

And if you travel abroad? You can't listen on a plane if it doesn't have wifi... Wink

/jarmo

You can make offline playlist with Spotify.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »

/jarmo

You can make offline playlist with Spotify.

Yes you can, but the original poster was using Youtube....

/jarmo

norway
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

I have like a epicly huge collection of cd's, and casette's. Funny how things change.

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

I like quality in my music so I tend to buy mostly Vinyl when I can or CD.  Digital to me is just so tiny sounding. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: