Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Replacements
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Replacements  (Read 2863 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« on: September 08, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

The Replacements playing "The Tonight Show" on Tuesday

Paul Westerberg the last time he performed in NBC's 30 Rockefeller Center in 1986, when the Replacements played "Saturday Night Live."

The Replacements just announced a warm-up gig next week before their long-awaited Midway Stadium concert, but it?s not happening here in town ? it?ll be in the same New York building where the original Replacements made one of their most legendary TV appearances.

Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson and their remade band will hit the set of "The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon" on Tuesday night (airing on NBC at 10:35 p.m. local time). Keith Richards, who once booked the ?Mats to play his birthday party in the ?80s, happens to be one of the guests slated to chat with Fallon that night.

The band announced their pending TV engagement in typical coy fashion via a YouTube video titled ?The Replacements Return to 30 Rock?!? It features footage of the original Replacements' notorious 1986 appearance on ?Saturday Night Live,? taped in New York?s 30 Rockefeller Center just like Fallon?s ?Tonight Show.? The band was purportedly banned from the "SNL" set for drunkenness (and sloppiness), and they famously returned to play "Kiss Me On the Bus" at show's end wearing each other's mismatched outfits from the previous performance ("Bastards of Young").

The original 'Mats never played "The Tonight Show" during its L.A. years, but frontman Westerberg did so at least a couple times, including a 2002 solo performance of "Let the Bad Times Roll."

(http://m.startribune.com/?id=274175571)

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »

From Tommy's twitter:

Tommy Stinson ‏@tommy_stinson
Keef!
@officialKeef & @ruby_stinson

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:50:41 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »

They said it would happen, and it did. Nearly 30 years after getting banned from "Saturday Night Live", the Replacements were the musical guests on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon". Though Fallon began the episode by joking that they'd be covering Smash Mouth's "All Star", they did their Pleased to Meet Me classic "Alex Chilton".

They weren't joined by Keith Richards, who sat down with Fallon to talk about his new children's book Gus & Me. In addition to talking about his grandfather and early memories of learning to play guitar, he recounted the time he got punched in the face by Chuck Berry.

But if you want to see a photo of Keith hanging out with the Replacements, that exists below via the show's music booker Jonathan Cohen.
(http://pitchfork.com/news/56634-the-replacements-perform-alex-chilton-on-fallon/)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:08:03 AM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
The Replacements: Alex Chilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZi-dw03fE8

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
The Replacements: Alex Chilton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZi-dw03fE8

Great performance! 

Sosso
VIP

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/let-it-be-turns-30-celebrating-the-replacements-best-album/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: