Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  Welcome to the Jungle of Politics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle of Politics  (Read 2588 times)
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« on: November 06, 2006, 08:47:33 AM »

I know there's a policy here on "no politics" but I'm curious as to what would be against the rules here.

To me, a lot of The Jungle section has become political, with topics about the following:
- Saddam Hussein sentenced to death
- The BNP talking about Islam fundamentalists
- Military leaders talking about Rumsfeld
- Communications methods of Politicians in America
... and the list goes on and on.

I know that a number of these threads are started because they contain news stories.  However, 9 out of 10 of them are becoming political debates between two sides.   I know that America is having midterm elections tomorrow and the war card is being played up in a lot of campaigning, but does it have to filter onto the board?  I'm sick of going to The Jungle and seeing every thread turn into a political debate.  So please, can everyone tone it down and keep politics out of all discussions?  I don't care what your views on war, capital punishment, or election strategies are and I'm not sure if this is the place to discuss them.  I'd like to get the opinion of the mods on all of this to find out what exactly is allowed to be discussed here.  It's great to allow threads of this nature to be posted, but they almost always have political vibes and connotations.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

GNRevolution... the missing link.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 09:09:32 AM »

I'm very aware of that. I haven't been locking the political threads, since a few of them actually turned out to be great. There was heated discussion but in a good manner and people actually talked about the issues instead of just calling people names.

There are a few bad seeds out there, and I for one will be looking very closely at the situation. It is refreshing to see something else posted in the jungle than some of the 'say something funny-games' that are out there.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:28:55 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.

There are a few bad seeds out there, and I for one will be looking very closely at the situation. It is refreshing to see something else posted in the jungle than some of the 'say something funny-games' that are out there.

It's good that you're looking into the situation.  It's been showing up in a few threads and it has been the same argument over and over between the same people (they're even bringing the same topics into multiple threads).  As I've said, it's great to be able to see news topics in there, it just gets tiring to read heated debates between the same few people over and over again while trying to read the valid comments and news in those threads.  I know that everyone has a different opinion when it comes to politics and a lot of people want to share their opinions, but it's getting to the point where some of us are tired of reading the same argument over and over.  Anyway, I'm glad that you're keeping an eye on it all and hopefully everyone will settle down again once the elections are over.  peace

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.

It's good that you're looking into the situation.  It's been showing up in a few threads and it has been the same argument over and over between the same people (they're even bringing the same topics into multiple threads).  As I've said, it's great to be able to see news topics in there, it just gets tiring to read heated debates between the same few people over and over again while trying to read the valid comments and news in those threads.  I know that everyone has a different opinion when it comes to politics and a lot of people want to share their opinions, but it's getting to the point where some of us are tired of reading the same argument over and over.  Anyway, I'm glad that you're keeping an eye on it all and hopefully everyone will settle down again once the elections are over.  peace

I'm probably guilty of some of the things you are talking about and I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  I'll try to keep that in mind when posting in the jungle from now on.

but i think in addition to the name calling and redundant arguements it'd be nice if the mods could put a lid on the country bashing that seems to go on in these threads to.  When someone says "the americans stupid and retarded" that is pretty insulting and incendiary.  Those types of posts know they are going to get responded to in a hostile manner.  Just my two cents  peace
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 02:09:42 PM by HannaHat » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 02:53:08 PM »

but i think in addition to the name calling and redundant arguements it'd be nice if the mods could put a lid on the country bashing that seems to go on in these threads to.? When someone says "the americans stupid and retarded" that is pretty insulting and incendiary.? Those types of posts know they are going to get responded to in a hostile manner.? Just my two cents? peace

Yeah, that's something else that's a problem around here (although I haven't seen it here as much recently).  Again, it's a politics thing.  Not only that, but it's personal insults (definitely worthy of a -1 karma point).  Let's try and keep this place civil.  I'm all for open discussions, but when it comes to threads that involve political news let's try and keep the same old political debates out of them.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: