Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Mixing / EQ Settings (voc, guit) - PLEASE HELP!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mixing / EQ Settings (voc, guit) - PLEASE HELP!  (Read 3088 times)
conny
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »

I'm mixing my demo, but those fuckin' EQ settings make me mad!!! My ears are bleeding from that shit!

I was wise enough to to record "dry" without effects and EQ settings so I have very pristine and clear audio and can now adjust each track individually and then also the final mix - but it's a pain in the ass!!

How do YOU do it?

Any suggestions as for how to set EQ's especially for acoustic guitar and vocals in order to get a dry, rich and bassy (but not boomy or muddy) sound? The tracks are perfect, but in the mix, it all just sounds too thin and tinny. I have 128 tracks digital, but I don't wanna blow up the fucker too much, I just want the CD to have a constant overall sound.

Any ideas? Maybe some specific Hz frequencies? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

peace
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:53:46 PM »

Well, I don't know too much about mixing an entire cd, but when i mix demo tracks, I usually mix the drums, rhythm and bass at the same volume and boost the lead and/or vocals to atleast 25% more volume (Since I want the focus to be on the lead guitar). I don't know if this helps, but I use Goldwave for all these purposes....

Fuck 'Em All.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »

Well, it depends on exactly what you're trying to do.? A slap delay is always good to make your vocals more full.? You can lookup frequency ranges for instruments as a starting point, but it really comes down to you just taking a lot of time tweaking and trying things until you get what you like.

What software are you using to do this with?? Most decent eqing software is gonna have a few preset templates to help you get started and tweak from there.

If possible, when you record your guitar, record via mic and a line in (definitely record with a mic if you can only do one), then just move the mix around between the two of them, and you can usually find a really full but not muddy sounding point.? You can also build up frequencies on the line in one while keeping the mic one in the front and clean.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:50:23 AM »

On a related note, how do u people synchronize ur recordings? Eg: If I record the bass, rhythm and lead separately i have a tough time sync.ing the three together. Any easy method or is it trial and error?

Fuck 'Em All.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:46:50 AM »

On a related note, how do u people synchronize ur recordings? Eg: If I record the bass, rhythm and lead separately i have a tough time sync.ing the three together. Any easy method or is it trial and error?
Are you talkin' about a software? I use Adobe Audition to mix the tracks (just grab and move the track to fit). It's really easy. Smiley

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 09:07:26 AM »

Are you talkin' about a software? I use Adobe Audition to mix the tracks (just grab and move the track to fit). It's really easy. Smiley

I'll check it out. Thanks.  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 10:47:03 AM »

I use Kristal for everything and Adobe Audition for getting rid of some hiss on the guitar tracks and for mastering.

www.homerecordingconnection.com has some good tips about everything, there are some really good mixing articles there about EQing and all that stuff.
loretian
VIP

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 11:28:35 AM »

You really should be using some software, like Adobe Audition, for doing your mixing, so you don't have to be concerned with syncing up your tracks (it's just done automatically).

For $450, you can buy an M-Box, which includes Pro Tools, Reason Adapted, Abelton Live, and other software that'll give you everything you need to get going, both hardware and software.  I highly recomend it.

conny
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 07:51:31 PM »

Well thanks I figured it out now, it was the mic position, the EQing had nothing to do with it. Actually, the less EQing I do, the better it sounds, as long the signal is good. My original signals were too weak, but I read up on mic positions and tricks, so I'm happy now. Sometimes the easiest things come to mind last of all...

But thanks for everyone's reply.? ok

@ loretian, I'm using Magix Music Maker - not very pro, I know. But I can't afford Pro Tools, and Magix software is good enough for a decent demo (as long as you don't have to record drums). I'm all about vocals and guitar, so it gets the job done for me. Oh and I tried that with the Delay and it sounds great, thank you. I think I'm gonna use this on the vocals, sounds a lot better than an actual reverb.

peace
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 07:54:15 PM by conny » Logged
loretian
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 10:31:35 PM »

@ loretian, I'm using Magix Music Maker - not very pro, I know. But I can't afford Pro Tools, and Magix software is good enough for a decent demo (as long as you don't have to record drums). I'm all about vocals and guitar, so it gets the job done for me. Oh and I tried that with the Delay and it sounds great, thank you. I think I'm gonna use this on the vocals, sounds a lot better than an actual reverb.

Cool, glad you figured it all out!  Personally, I'd add at least a little reverb on your vocals, unless you're getting some from the room you're recording in, but if it sounds good to you, go with it.  ok

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: