Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  weightlifting, gym rats, bodybuilders,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: weightlifting, gym rats, bodybuilders,  (Read 53108 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: October 22, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »

gym rats, weightlifters, bodybuilders, powerlifters, etc..

Hope there isn't a topic already but I fugred I'd start one.. Talk about your lifting routines, your diets, or whatever else you have to say in regards to the gym.. Supplements (creatine, L-glutamine, whey protein, Branch chain amino acids, etc..

I'm into bodybuilding, I eat very clean going for muscle mass at this point of the season.. I try to keep my workouts old school with basic compound movements like deadlifts, bench press, military press, bent rows, squats etc.. Excerises that hit more then one muscle..

I try to eat every 3 hours, usually like a chicken breast or two with a cup of rice or oatmeal and some steamed veggies..

My protein intake is probably about a little over a gram per pound of my bodyweight..

Sources are tuna, chicken, turkey, nuts, beans, beef eggs..

carbs are usually from, baked potatos, rice, oatmeal, 9 grain breads from gnc, veggies.. NO simple sugars like white bread..

I'll get into this more, I think D inspired me to start tthe thread..
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:57:12 PM »

that is awesome!

eating clean is very hard and i admire anyone that can do it!

I started working out cause all through school i was a chubby overweight kid and i got tired of it.

Watching wrestling really inspired me to start lifting weights cause i wanted to look like Triple H *ive came close a time or two* where my measurements were just barely off his. he is 6'4 however and i am 5'8 so that makes it bout impossible.

Anyhow my oldest brother went through a divorce and started lifting and really changed his body so that gave me motivation also that it was possible.

anyhow right now im in more of a maintain phase, i came off of 5 months of very hard intense training.

Im trying to get leaner right now and more cut, im big and bulky but the thing about me is, when i get big and bulky i want to be lean, when i get lean i want to be big and bulky.

im startng a new routine monday that focuses on alot of supersetting and cardio, im gonna go for a really hard anaerobic type workout.

i get to the gym and i will do my abs, then i get on the treadclimber type machine and i will run for an hour and a half straight *i run watching around the horn,Pardon the interruption and I,Max* that alone burns off around 1,500 calories

i will then lift weights, right now i hit two body parts at a time and i will superset

if i do Triceps and Shoulders together ill do a set of tri's then go immediately and do a set for shoulders, rest about 20 seconds and keep goin

ill do anywhere from 10-12 sets per exercise.

Our basketball gym is closed down right now and hasnt reopened but i usuallyplay full court basketball for 2 hours 3 or 4 times a week when the gym is open.

My eating isnt the greatest though, which is why i totally admire and respect anyone that can eat clean, food is definitely my weakness.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:42:53 PM »

Eating clean is very hard, I haven't had a beer, pizza, cheese, cake, or any fast food since the last week of march 2004.. Hardest tthing in the world.. My house is like chicken central, just grilling tons of chicken..
I understand your problem with when you get leaner you want to get bigger and vise versa, the trick is to not lose muscle when you lose weight.. I know you said food is your weakness, but eating is 1/3 of the muscle building program.. Of course the other 66% is sleeping and the workouts..

When you are leaner and begin to work out to become bigger, the trick is to gain as little fat nas possible while bulking up.. Eating clean is the key, small meals eaten frequently (2 and a half-3 hours..)

Right now I'm still trying to grow, the summer is over and the body is coveredd for a while so my calories will be upped.. I like to eat beans (lentils, kidney etc) some brown rice with cut up grilled chicken breast made in olive oil.. It's very high in protein and complex carbs..

Just to give you an idea of my workouts.. I've had to acl surgerys so my leg training isn'tt o tough.. I'm not a pro bodybuilder so it's not my money maker so I don't risk another huge injury..

I hit each muscle very hard, intensity is the key, maxamize your time in the gym, no bullshiting like a teenage girl..

I have a partner once a week for chest.. It helps bring up my intensity..

My routine is

Sunday Chest- light triceps..
Monday-back, traps, light biceps
tues-Legs
Weds- Shoulders
Thurs-Biceps, triceps, forearms-heavy..
Friday-saturday off

Now my routine changes and abs and cardio is more when I want then a set plan, if something is to routine I get bored.. I train early in the morning when testosterone levels are at tehir highest,, Might as well use whate ever to your advantage..

Wrestling definetly played a big part in my interests, but it was Hulk Hoga, warrior, paul orndoff, etc.. I love the world's strongest man competitions.. I played football in HS, but lost interest because teh training was what I liked best..

I was a big drunk for years, so I lost sight of things, but now I'm all business...
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 07:07:50 PM »

I haven't had a beer, pizza, cheese, cake, or any fast food since the last week of march 2004

Soooo, now I understand!  Tongue hihi

Seriously, I give you guys credit for sticking to your guns - great willpower!  yes

Why don't you just....
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 01:50:04 PM »

I haven't had a beer, pizza, cheese, cake, or any fast food since the last week of march 2004

Soooo, now I understand!? Tongue hihi

Seriously, I give you guys credit for sticking to your guns - great willpower!? yes

You caling me sexy or bitchy,,Yes it's tough, but worth it, cheers beer
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 01:58:11 PM »

Wicked thread Mike i just found it now ok

I just started weighlifting. I'm 17, is that still to young?..

I tried using a gym but found the people were all stuck up and the price was too much to keep it up...i can't be fucked getting a job lol.

But my uncle had like a mini-gym machine thingy...u know the bench press thing that u can also use those weights for ur legs n shit.

I wanted to start at 15 but dad said that it wouldn't be healthy yet as i still had a few more years of growing left.

I have a pretty shocking diet if truth be told. But i'm cutting back all the time and at least making sure that if i eat junk all through the day i have a very healthy dinner. My biggest problem is either giving up coke or doing very little. I'm fuckin addicted to that shit.

I basically do my weights every night bench presses and bicep curls. Sit up's and push up's.

I wanna get pretty buff. So Mike seeing as you know what ya talking about any chance of ya giving me some tips on the exercises and a diet that will help? I have scrambled eggs daily i hear that it helps bodybuilders?

Thanks Champ

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
badapple81
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 07:37:30 PM »

Cool thread.. I was thinking about starting one recently too..

Following a recent illness I decided this last week or so to hit the gym.. just increased my weights for the first time. Was just able to complete the sets on my second go with the new weights. I prefer the machines to the free weights but I'm starting to feel like I should do more on each muscle so might look at doing some free weights as well as the usual routine soon.

I've been fairly healthy following my illness and have noticed a big difference in my general mental health and wellbeing. I see all these fairly built people in the gym getting into these various shakes and bars etc. Are they actually beneficial? What the hell are they? Which is best and would you recommend any of these shakes? When should you take them?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 01:32:32 PM »

gunner down under..

Let me just mention what you aske3d involving shakes n bars...

Nothing is better then whole foods, getting your nutrients, vitamins, minerals, carbs, proteins, etc.. Shakes are best for people on the go, those who don't have time to grill chicken, make rice, bake potatoes, sit down for a meal..Well you get my drift..  I would never have two supplement meals in a row, your body needs quality food for health reasons n weightlifting..

I would like to address your machines over free weights.. Free weights will hit the muscles better, they will use more muscles to support the weight.. IE.. If you bench with free wights (dumbells barbells) your muscles will need to work to balance them, so your chest isn't the only thing working, therefore you will become more powerfull in a shorter time..

MATT, this is for you, there's no such thing as to young, especially when you're a teen, the stunt your growth is a old wive's tale.. I don't know where that started in years past, but it happens to every young lifter.. They say do push ups, but don't use weights, like your body knows the diference between push ups n benching  hihi
You need to try n save soime money and join a gym, unless you can get a friedn who has the essentials for lifting.. And olympic bar and an assortement of plates, and dumbells.. I did train for about a year in a friend's basement.. It works, just the actuall gym atmosphere is great for lifting..I would say do some basic lifts, get a workout book to get some info and do what you can until you raise the money..

good luck
badapple81
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 11:39:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Of course your body needs its regular meals etc. I do not need to lose weight (I am a skinny little thing).. rather I am trying to gain body tone/muscle.. so my aim is not to try and cut down on eating or anything to lose weight.. my aim is to do whatever I can to increase results.. and ive heard these protein shakes etc. are quite effective?

Thanks for the advice too about the machines/free weights.. I think I'm going to modify my routine to take on a bit of both. Need to extend the length of my workout.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 03:28:39 AM »

I just started again with a focus on diet more than anything.

As I have gotten older I slowly have been looking at the things I put in my body and realizing they are no good for me. So even before I started up, I dropped sodas, diet sodas, sugar, candy, and other junk food.

Eating 6 meals a day is awesome. It's like I'm always eating. They are smaller meals like those listed above. And the results have been amazing so far.

I have only been lifting for one month now and I look better than I did the last time I lifted already. It's totally diet.

I have one "free day" which is on Sunday. I don't really deviate from my diet too much. I just eat chips and salsa and more fatty foods. This Sunday I had a pizza and chips and salsa.

I have more energy now and I really love the diet. I could easily stay on it the remainder of my life. Overall it makes more sense and it seems to keep everything (mood, energy level) well balanced through the day.

I only lift 2 times a week too! It's all diet!!!

I don't want to be big, I just want to have a lean build with nice tone., and have overall good health. I realized that I will be 40 in 6 yrs (bday in Feb) and I want to have a six pack when it happens! I want to be the guy that people say "Wow he looks good for his age." LOL!

Plus there are so many things I want to keep doing as I get older: ski, hike, travel, and I want to be in shape where it is not an issue if I can or not. I see people in their 40's that are just a train wreck: 80 pounds over weight, don't move, don't do all these awesome things outside. They just: sit. They have kind of given up and say "I'm too old now." Well screw that man, I am not going out like that!

Lift, walk, run, hike ski, good diet...live!!!!

Grin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 03:31:23 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 06:48:59 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Of course your body needs its regular meals etc. I do not need to lose weight (I am a skinny little thing).. rather I am trying to gain body tone/muscle.. so my aim is not to try and cut down on eating or anything to lose weight.. my aim is to do whatever I can to increase results.. and ive heard these protein shakes etc. are quite effective?

Thanks for the advice too about the machines/free weights.. I think I'm going to modify my routine to take on a bit of both. Need to extend the length of my workout.

Just eat frequent healthy meals and keep your reps high, like 10-12 to tone.. All should go good..
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

I have a question for you gym-buffs:

I have never been fat,and I'm not fat now,but lately I'm concerned by the fact that my upper legs,ass,stomach and tits(dont't fuckin laugh!) are starting to get a little chubby,especially my legs.

I have a pretty active lifestyle,do sports occasionally and lately I've been going to the gym once a week.
Also,I don't eat too much crappy food,but I do drink a lot of Coke.  What can I do to reclaim my title as an international sex symbol??

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
badapple81
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 07:13:29 PM »

I have never been fat,and I'm not fat now,but lately I'm concerned by the fact that my upper legs,ass,stomach and tits(dont't fuckin laugh!) are starting to get a little chubby,especially my legs.

I have a pretty active lifestyle,do sports occasionally and lately I've been going to the gym once a week.
Also,I don't eat too much crappy food,but I do drink a lot of Coke.? What can I do to reclaim my title as an international sex symbol??

Didn't Kramer invent the 'bro'.. the bra for men?  hihi

In my teens I was always skinny and could eat whetever I wanted whenever I wanted.. now in my 20's i'm discovering that's definately not the case.

Anyway as you're eating well.. I'd say once a week at the gym isn't enough. I go three times a week, I'd like to do 4 or 5 but unfortunately my muscle recovery time is still quite slow. I'd go 2 or 3 times a week if your time is limited.. and take a walk once or twice a week as well. You'll see the results in no time!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 07:22:41 PM »

Also,I don't eat too much crappy food,but I do drink a lot of Coke.? What can I do to reclaim my title as an international sex symbol??

I'll answer this a little later, but soda is like liquid fat..
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 11:50:26 PM »

Coke is horrible. It's got like 39 grams of sugar per can. That equals something like 12 teaspoons of sugar in each can (some one correct me if I'm off).

Sugar causes your insulin levels to spike and then crash. The insulin swings cause your body to store fat. Diabetes happens often times down the road. Diet sodas have aspartame in them and they cause all kinds of horrible symptoms/problems.

My choice was to not drink either. They are both total crap, and bad for you.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 08:16:01 AM »

Coke is horrible. It's got like 39 grams of sugar per can. That equals something like 12 teaspoons of sugar in each can (some one correct me if I'm off).

Sugar causes your insulin levels to spike and then crash. The insulin swings cause your body to store fat. Diabetes happens often times down the road. Diet sodas have aspartame in them and they cause all kinds of horrible symptoms/problems.

I don't know the ratio... AN insulin spike right after a workout is good with natural sugars from fruit.. Otherwise sugar is bad, all the white powders are bad hihi

I only drink water for the most part...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 11:18:14 PM »

this was my workout from May till  august, i did this religiously.

sundays 
walk three miles
play basketball from 7pm till 9:30 pm
box, each punch 3 rounds  1 minute and then combos 3 rounds 1 minute
ride my bicycle from 2:30am till 4am

Mondays
walk three miles
play basketball from 7pm tll 9:30
lift weights chest and triceps  midnight till 1:30am
ride my bicycle 3am till 4 am

tuesdays
walk three miles
play basketball 7-9:30
lift weights shoulders/legs midnight till 1:30am
ride my bike  3-4

wednesdays
walk three miles
play ball
lift weights biceps and back
box
ride my bike
thursdays
walk three miles
play ball
lift weights light chest heavy triceps,forearms
ride my bike

fridays
walk 3 miles
box
ride my bike

saturday off

and i did that from may till august without missing a day

ive been maintaining here lately, i havent gained, havent really lost but i got kinda burnt out, but im about to start another big phase here next week.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 08:35:43 AM »

I personally feel D that you do way to much, there's so much easier ways tobe fit then doing all that stuff in one day.. Also I would never do triceps before shoulders,,

The order should be chest, shoulders triceps.. tricpes n shoulders support the chest in lifting, tricpes support teh shoulders in militairy n dumbell presses.. The triceps are worked last because they get isolated..

If I worked out triceps monday then did shouldeers tuesday I would have tricpe failure before shoulder during presses... You should have at least a day off between if you do triceps first..

I think walking three miles, playing ball, then running n boxing is to much for one day.. It's ok if you're strictly cardio, but that way to much with weightlifting..

I mean hey if it works for you that's cool, I mean onmly you know what you want..

If I was pressed for time I would just eat right, do my lifting, and do cardio for about 45 minutes...
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 04:05:40 PM »

gunner down under..

there's no such thing as to young, especially when you're a teen, the stunt your growth is a old wive's tale.. I don't know where that started in years past, but it happens to every young lifter.. They say do push ups, but don't use weights, like your body knows the diference between push ups n benching? hihi

good luck

I don't know man...

One of my freinds went all out with the weight training at a young age and he not only stunted his growth, but shrunk 2-3 inches as well, no joke!

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 10:17:29 PM »

39 grams of sugar. Holy shit...seriously i mean holy shit. I have 6 litres of coke a day Shocked

I would really hate to see what my insides look like nervous

I'm gonna die early crying

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: