Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bands that have recaptured past form?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bands that have recaptured past form?  (Read 7071 times)
Bono
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 05:00:24 AM »

U2
They ended the 80's as the biggest band, and at that point they were basically photographed in black and white and were somewhat way to serious.
The 90's came and from their first single off of Achtung Baby, "the Fly" alot of people thought this is U2.? I liked U2 in the 80's but this album really got me into the band.? It was a dramatic change for them.? The started to use tecnhology, and also made fun of them selves.? Zooropa was good and I like Pop, but alot of fans by then were like enough already.? They went back to basics for .."All that you can't leave behind" and scaled down their tour.? I missed Zoo TV but saw Pop and thought that was great, but when they did the Elevation tour it was unbelievable.? They relased "Atomic Bomb" and I think they (bono) especially began to let the fans in more lyrically to his thoughts, etc.? They have always been great lyrically, but their last album was I think the most personal.? Anyway they are huge again (after All that you can't leave behind) and can sell out tours quickly.? They do well album sales wise but really haven't had a Top 10 hit in the US since the 90's.? They are darlings of the critics and at times a little preachy to some, but I think when all is said and done with u2 they will rank up there with the beatles and the stones.? Not bad for 4 guys from Dublin who really didn't know how to play their instruments 30 years ago.?

Oh MY GOD!!! that was the greatest post I've ever read. rofl ok Seriously though everything you say is true except Vertigo and Beautiful Day both went to number one. the funny part is though that the people who bitched about them being "too out there" in the late 90's and wanting them to go back to their roots are the same people bitching now that they sound too much like U2.? they never really disapeard but by the end of the 90's(their best decade in my opinion) they definately ahd thier doubters.

On a side note the transformation U2 made from the 80's(Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum) to the 90's(Achtung Baby/Zooropa) was a million timess more gutsy and experimental than Radiohead's venture from The Bends to O.k. Computer which gets such high praise. people tend not to recognize the fact that U2 was the biggest band in the world and yet the had the guts to completely revinvent themselves image wise and music wise when really there was no reason to.

wow. I kinda went off on a rant just there.  I'll blame it all on being so damn surprised to read a post like Yesterday's here on a Guns board.? ok Also let it be known that I love Radiohead(own all their albums) just used them as an example.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:04:27 AM by Bono » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: