Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Nadal Wins Wimbledon!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nadal Wins Wimbledon!  (Read 8282 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« on: July 06, 2008, 04:46:15 PM »

McEnroe said it best after this match..."greatest match I've ever seen."

This really was unbelievable!  Both men poured their hearts into this thing.  I can't wait until the re-match next year!

How cool was it to have Borg show up?  Classy guy. 

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »

Unbelievable stuff!, I didn't finish work until 6 so I missed a lot of it, but fortunately the rain god helped me out somewhat and I was able to catch the last couple of sets (both monsters!).

It got me curious though, what with this incredible rivalry... Who ya got?

I'm Federer through and through!,

though I must admit I did crack a smile when Nadal sauntered over to the Royal Box.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

Nadal all the way, Great Match! People have said for a while that Nadal is improving on Grass quicker than Federer is on Clay, seems they were right.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »

Unbelievable stuff!, I didn't finish work until 6 so I missed a lot of it, but fortunately the rain god helped me out somewhat and I was able to catch the last couple of sets (both monsters!).

It got me curious though, what with this incredible rivalry... Who ya got?

I'm Federer through and through!,

though I must admit I did crack a smile when Nadal sauntered over to the Royal Box.

I must say, I went into this thing impartial.  Once Nadal was up 2 sets, I started rooting for Federer.  (gotta love the underdog!)  Holy cow was I impressed by Roger's ability to avoid losing this thing in the 4th set tie-breaker, just amazing!
Federer's got balls of steel.  Down 5-2 in that 4th set tie-breaker!  Unbelievable.  The rallies were amazing!

I was incredibly, and I mean incredibly impressed with Federer's gracious handling of the loss!  In losing this match, he gained a lot of respect from me.  

All in all I'm happy for all involved.  Nadal should rise to #1 which will push Federer to even greater heights, and I love the fact Borg and Federer can share the record for at least another half decade and likelier many more!   peace

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:06:21 AM »

And I was there!!!!!

What an incredible day. I had planned this trip for over 7 months now and I could not have wished for a better outcome. Unfortunately I didnt have tickets for the match in centre court, but I did for the doubles match in court 1. Those tickets allowed me to watch the match from "The hill" which is where the big screen tv is. It was raining pretty match for 2 hours before the match and also throughout in some stages. I was soaked and wet but sure was worth it.

I did see Nadal and Federer warming up in courts 14 and 17 respectively. I made very close pics and videos of them two. I was just meters away. While Federer was, as usual, very gracious and elegant, is incredible how HARD Nadal hits the ball even on pratice!!

About the match, well... I fully concurr with McEnroe. It was the best tennis match I've ever seen in my life ( and I have seen thousands).

On a side note. London fucking RULES. What a city!!!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »

I was incredibly, and I mean incredibly impressed with Federer's gracious handling of the loss!  In losing this match, he gained a lot of respect from me.  

Oh, aye; Federer is such a humble guy, so gracious always in victory, that to be honest I really wasn't suprised.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »

How great is McEnroe as a commentator?  God damn I love listening to him during Wimbledon.  He doesn't talk over the huge points in the match...he doesn't drone on and on...he doesn't beat dead horses.  His handling of the post-match interviews was class all the way!  He respected Federer's emotions.  He was so professional, yet the emotion was so palpable.  Ignatius, you lucky bastard!!!   beer  Did ya have the strawberries and creme?

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »

Damn it!

I had this Tivo'ed ready to watch, came on here just real fast to check the wrestling scores and saw this rant rant

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:47 PM »

Damn it!

I had this Tivo'ed ready to watch, came on here just real fast to check the wrestling scores and saw this rant rant

D, it's still fucking worth it!!!!!  I wish I taped it!  The rallies were amazing.  Total gut-check-fest!  Enjoy.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »

my fault though

I meant to watch it live and i know to never come on the internet cause it could be anywhere.

just one of those deals had I not saw the final it wouldve been a snooze fest. hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:59 AM »

Ignatius, you lucky bastard!!!   beer  Did ya have the strawberries and creme?

no

And I'll kill myself for not doing so. We had the intention of buying the famous strawberry & creme but we kept thinking " we'll do it later". WEll, later then came and the food court area was jammed packed so we decided to - again - try later. Then Nadal and Federer put up one of the most exciting matches in the history of tennis so by the time it was over - around 920 pm local - the were shutting down the food stands.

So, no, we didnt taste the Strawberries but we got ourselves a Wimbledon umbrella, rain coat and a cushion at least!

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »

GREAT match - I felt almost sick in the last hour it was so tense!  It was all about Nadal for me - the guy just didnt give up or let up at all. Federer is amazing, but it's so exciting to see a new, young player come in and rock wimbledon and a five time winner so hard.  Amazing game.

Ignatius - how fkn cool you were there!  what a day to go on - fantastic!  I went a couple of years ago and manage to buy a returned ticket inside (legal - not touts) for centre court and ended up seeing my fellow Scot Andy Murray win !  and no Pimms tastes as good as it does on that hill! 

Glad you enjoyed london too!  ok
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:02:56 AM by babydolls » Logged
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »

McEnroe said it best after this match..."greatest match I've ever seen."

This really was unbelievable!  Both men poured their hearts into this thing.  I can't wait until the re-match next year!

How cool was it to have Borg show up?  Classy guy. 

peace

Borg showed up last year to watch Fed equal his record. Borg's wife is hot.

I can see Nadal pushing on now and Fed struggling to keep up with him. He hammered Fed in the French Open final and losing on Sunday could really damage him in terms of playing against Nadal again.

I hope Fed comes back stronger than ever but mentally this is a big blow because Wimbledon was his thing. 

"to live with fortune and fame"
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

Great match, I wasn't too fussed who won at the start but once Federer started pulling it back I began rooting for him. To have the mental strength and character to pull the match back from the situation he was in and in a final as well took some doing. Shame he didn't quite have enough to win it. Well deserved victory for Nadal though, I expect to see these two locking horns in Wimbledon finals for many years to come.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »

Maybe this is a stupid question...who do the folks living outside the United States hear calling the match?  Obviously, here in the United States we have the good fortune to have John McEnroe who in my eyes is the best tennis broadcaster going.  Who do you folks across the pond have???

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:18 AM »

Ignatius - how fkn cool you were there!  what a day to go on - fantastic!  I went a couple of years ago and manage to buy a returned ticket inside (legal - not touts) for centre court and ended up seeing my fellow Scot Andy Murray win !  and no Pimms tastes as good as it does on that hill! 

Oh Pimms...my new favorite drink. It's incredible how many people have that in London. I was told it's just a summer drink...how can you guys not drink it all year long???

About broadcasters, well, we didnt have any at the hill. You were just sitting there watching the match as people would watch it live from centre court...no broadcasters, no advertisiments, nothing...everything live as it was happening on centre court.

Back in Spain we had former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »

Maybe this is a stupid question...who do the folks living outside the United States hear calling the match?  Obviously, here in the United States we have the good fortune to have John McEnroe who in my eyes is the best tennis broadcaster going.  Who do you folks across the pond have???

John McEnroe also does commentary for the BBC at Wimbledon.

http://www.a2mediagroup.com/?c=175&a=23335

Tim Henman joins the BBC team for the first time, and will work as a commentator and studio analyst alongside the existing line-up.

The top-quality team also features John McEnroe, Boris Becker, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski, Andrew Castle, Tracy Austin, Virginia Wade, Chris Bailey, David Mercer, Peter Fleming, Barry Davies, Mark Cox, Simon Reed, Chris Bradnam, Matt Chilton, Annabel Croft, Liz Smylie, Sam Smith, Jo Durie, and Louise Pleming.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »

Johnny Mac has come a long way since the days of cursing out the officials and throwing his racket to the ground

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »

Johnny Mac has come a long way since the days of cursing out the officials and throwing his racket to the ground

He really has matured.  In my eyes, he was perfect at each stage of the game.  I loved the emotion of his game.  His soft touch at the net was second to none. 

As a broadcaster, he's a natural. 

He f'd up one thing in life...finding a competent wife and mother.  Tatum's a friggin mess.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: