Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  If you could choose one dead rock star to still be alive who would it be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could choose one dead rock star to still be alive who would it be?  (Read 15199 times)
kj_jive
Got troll dolls?
VIP

Found a head and an arm in the garbage can

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 05:26:17 PM »

Hmm...I'm gonna go with Keith Moon.  Layne Staley is a dangerously close second though.

"This board isn't supposed to be a fucking smiley festival"-Jarmo 3-19-03
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 05:29:06 PM »

What a hard decision. There are so many musicians that I  love and respect that have passed on. Keith Moon, John Entwistle, John Lennon, George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, John Bonham, Bon Scott are some of my favorites.

I guess if I had to choose it would be between Keith Moon and John Entwistle because The Who are a big favorite of mine.

Randy Rhoads would be another choice because he died so young and could have contributed so much more to the music world. Most of the artists I mentioned made major contributions even though their life was cut short.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 06:57:58 PM »

This is too hard to do.  I would struggle between John Lennon, Freddie Mercury, Bon Scott and Shannon Hoon.  So, I narrowed it down to 4.  Grin

Why don't you just....
LionGoddess
Headliner

" I might be a little young but honey I ain't naive."

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »

Dizzy good choices with Randy and Rhoads. Randy is one of my fav drummers ever. I would have to say Layne Staley and Cliff Burton. Alice In Chains is one of my favorite bands and I would have loved for Layne to have pulled himself together. Cliff because he seemed so cool and since I am so young (22) I would have loved to see Metallica with him. Also I like to think that Metallica wouldn't suck so much if Cliff were still around. Whether thats true or not who knows.

Just because you win don't mean you're the lucky one.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 10:03:18 AM »

Freddy Mercury - Queen were reaching their peak...and then he died no

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004, 01:19:48 PM »

Shannon Hoon - One of the few 'great' rockstars who's died who was actually better than many thought, Hendrix, Mercury & Cobain were and are overated and i would not rush to get them back.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2004, 09:00:01 PM »

Chuck Schuldiner of Death was taken from us so soon. Sad I loved his Control Denied side project, and Death was really changing their sound before he died. Death wasn't pointless br00tal Cannibal Corpse style metal. It was so much better than everything else.

When he died, he left his family deep in debt from medical bills. Hendrix and Cobain left millions of dollars. Chuck was just underrated because mainstream listeners don't like harsh vocals.

And, to be completely honest, Zeppelin fell apart at the perfect time. Their later albums just weren't as good as the early stuff. If Jon Bonham didn't die, they would have fallen even deeper into mediocrity.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2004, 11:45:10 PM »

Freddie Mercury for sure.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2004, 01:31:25 AM »

Agree with above poster for Layne Staley. hat band was so good, and yet, so underrated and overshadowed. Even after his death, I haven't seen much extensive coverage. Rarely do I ever hear his name mentioned on the anniversary of his death...what a shame.  I'm not sure if it would be possible for Layne Staley to overcome heroin. Apparently, there is a book by some woman who claims to be the last person to interview Layne Staley (over the phone) while he lived in his apartment, and judging by those interviews, It would take no less than a miracle.

If Im not mistaken, Shannon Hoon died of a cocaine or heroin overdose while the band was on tour sometime in 94, or 95 Im not completely sure about the year. But I guess the morning of a show, the band found him lifeless in his tour bus I believe.

That's correct, they found him in the tour bus just hours before a show on October 21, 1995. It was a cocaine overdose. Just three months after his daughter Nico Blue was born  Cry

I can't believe that he's gone. He died so young, and had so much more to offer. If there is someone here who hasn't listened to Blind Melon yet...well, you really should.

Yeah, I believe on pop-up video, they say that the band has actually hired a bodyguard to make sure Hoon doesn't OD and that very shortly after, he died.
Lord Blackadder
Rocker

BlAdder

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »

Freddie Mercury definatly. They don't make people like him anymore. Same with Lennon but Freddie was just amazing. (all you NON Queen/Freddie fans will find this out if you buy the forthcoming Live Aid dvd. Watch Queen's performance and you will be converted).

I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2004, 03:20:59 PM »

Apparently, there is a book by some woman who claims to be the last person to interview Layne Staley (over the phone) while he lived in his apartment . . .

I've heard nothing but negative reviews about that book, and that's a shame. Someone seriously needs to do him justice. Heard the Mike Starr book was awful, too.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »

Hendrix, Mercury  were and are overated and i would not rush to get them back.

Holy shit,how can you say that??? Apart from the fact that they both were brilliant unique musicians,without Hendrix there wouldn't be any Slash and without Freddie there wouldn't be any Axl,not the way we know them,anyway.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2004, 04:23:21 PM »

just because they're conventional, doesn't mean they're overrated.
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 04:50:01 PM »

certainly not kurt!! don't get me wrong cos i really like the guy but he wanted to die... he killed himself... he was in misery... i wouldn't want to bring someone who is resting in peace back to misery they didn't want.

Courtny killed him. the evidence points to her.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Dizzy
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 06:34:01 PM »

Courtny killed him. the evidence points to her.

Oh christ, yet another who believed everything that crappy Kurt and Courtney spewed.  That movie was nothing but fabricated bullshit made up to damage Courtney's reputation.  I'm no Courtney Love fan, but she did not kill Kurt.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 06:42:02 PM »

Hendrix & Mercury were and are overated and i would not rush to get them back.

How In God sakes Mercury is overrated??, tell where so I can go there to live in perfect armony

No man can be my equal
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2004, 06:54:43 PM »

Hendrix & Mercury were and are overated and i would not rush to get them back.

How In God sakes Mercury is overrated??, tell where so I can go there to live in perfect armony

I think in this case it means the guy just didn't like Freddie's music, so that's why he's "overrated".

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 08:10:25 PM »

Stevie Ray Vaughan. He'd just cleaned himself up properly and was really looking to expand his playing. Alot of the people mentioned already were given the chance to prove themselves and most had probably already peaked artistically by their death; SRV was in the ascendency creatively leading up to his death and i really wish he'd had the chance to go on cos i think he would've gone on the be a real legend.

Other than that i'd wish Bonzo had never died, for obvious reasons.
darkdays_01
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2004, 08:25:12 PM »

There are so many but off the the top of my head theses guys really stand out:

Steve Clark , Kurt Cobain , and Bon Scott, I know many people like Brian Johnson but minus Back In Black,  AC/DC really only have a handful of decent stuff after that, alot of filler going on there.
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2004, 01:52:46 AM »

I would Choose Cliff Burton . just for three reasons: 1-He died young , 2 he had an entire carrer ahead with Metallica  And 3  HE was The best Bass Player on earth. and if you want a 4 reason , well he was the motor that kept going Metallica .   Cry

If the world would end today... Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: