Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 08:20:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227948 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  MAC VS PC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MAC VS PC  (Read 16892 times)
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 12:52:16 AM »

I work in graphics, art production and animation.
When I first started working here, we were both Mac and PC.
Then a glorious thing happened, the PC died.
It is not missed.

Thats the thing. And same goes with AV-editors, PC's are rarely used anymore.. no one cares if you can upgrade your hardware better when the OS is awful and the whole machine very unstable. I use Windows 7 daily for pro graphics and for fucks sake; Flash, InDesign and Illustrator all crashed like 3 times yesterday. Just like that, without a reason. How many times have any of the CS5-products crashed on my Mac.. yep, none Smiley

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Chief
Legend

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 02:38:14 AM »

Well, I have a windows 7 machine and it has never crashed for about a year.
Also, I know someone who uses a pretty new Mac Pro tower with 16GB ram, dual processor and her Final Cut crashes at least once a day.
So, it can go either way.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

Thinking about getting a new laptop to take with me on the fly, will be doing video-editing and stuff like that which requires quite a bit of HDD space as well as RAM and a fast processor.

MAC or PC?

ok
Mac then get Windows on it so you have your options open

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »

Well i have both and i started this topic. Iv had the Macbook Pro since start of December and iv had a computer with various windows softwares over the years. Iv had 95, 98, xp, vista and 7.
Here's my 2 cents on it:

If you're looking for a reliable, simple and if you're looking in the future to get cheap software without illegaly downloading it and if you're investing in your future professionaly, i would go for the macbook Pro. Here's why, Mac has better software than Windows, you can renew your mac OS by simply paying a low amount like 60 dollars or so when you need to renew it. When you wanna change from windows vista to 7 let's say, you need to pay another 200-400 euros/dollars, unless you download it illegaly and crack it.

Image programs, Photography programs, music programs, design programs, any kind of software is easier to use with the mac and their programs have more quality because they're all pretty easy to use and sophisticated.

If you're looking to use Microsoft based programs, then the best choice is to work windows. For example Microsoft Office! Even though u can get it on the mac, to me it is complicating to work with it on the mac.

For downloads i also prefer my desktop, because it seems its a bit faster, but macs are pretty fast when it comes to other things. It might be because i have a great desktop as well even though its not a Mac, and because i use wireless internet.

So in terms of software you definitely wanna get the Mac, its much more sophisticated then Windows and it has some cool features in there, and now with the app store, it becomes even more interesting!

In terms of security, without a shadow of a doubt, a Mac is what you wanna get. Im extremely dumb when it comes to pc security, i really dunno what to do to be honest, so i usually get to delete the wrong files whenever there's a virus on it. Like ddl's or winsystem32 files. Usually one week after, i have to end up going to a store close to my house so they can do it properly and format my computer, so i have to spend 20-30 euros, for the clean up and format since i dunno how to do it and plus i have to save my files in cds or pens so they can format it.

In a Mac you don't need that, and if you're dumb like me in terms of the security process... you're gonna love the MAC. I have my Mac since december and still didn't have any warnings of a possible virus! Mac is more secure and easier to use! and you don't have to guess which files you have to delete and which files u can't delete even if they have a virus. Forget about the format your computer thing and there's no hassle in terms of security! You also don't need to worry about any temporary files or any unacessary files that keep filling your computer.

On a MAC you can also run Windows anyways, but why do u need Windows anyways... i think the whole purpose of the MAC is to get rid of Windows and have a better software, but i have to say i had windows for a while but then ended up deleting it, because i didnt really use it.

Games: I think Windows is easier for games. I tried to install some games on my Macbook Pro and it's quite a nightmare, but maybe im not too used to install them on the MAC and im still unexperienced with it. So i'll give the benefit of a doubt on this topic.

Look: We all know that MACs are well known for being beautiful machines, so i think they clearly win here!

Msn and general im services: If we were in January i would say Windows gets all the points in it, but since we're in April now and Microsoft decided to change their msn messenger thingy, and its now a completely pain the ass in my own opinion, MAC gets the points because you have various options, more then on a PC and MSN which is the one i use also kept the old look on the MAC. The new windows live service is very slow... there's too much information on it and u can connect it to your facebook which is good, but the because of all that, it becomes extremely slow and hard to open the damn program. On MAC it runs fine!

With that being said, if you're pointing at the future, and you need a sophisticated hardware and great software with the guarantee you will be having a top notch computer. You should try a MAC,cause we all know that even though Microsoft dominates the market on sales, Apple is one step ahead right now on what the future is concerned, and Apple right now is the leading brand in technology and everyone is following them... Just look at all the androids they did imitating the Iphones style... and the tablets imitating the ipads...etc etc etc...

There's a con in all of this though... we all know Apple almost went bankrupt when Steve Jobs was fired and had to take care of himself and his cancer problems. Now i dont wanna be negative about it, but will the same happen in the future? Because if it does, we all know Steve is the head and brains of Apple!

Also we all know Bill Gates is also a good leader and im pretty sure he'll be on top of his game as well.

Its all about what you believe in really... if you believe Apple is gonna go bankrupt again sooner or later, then a MAC wouldn't be good for you, because if they really do go bankrupt you won't have any updates, hardware etc... for the future. Its just an example.

Bill Gates company is more reliable on that aspect, and i dont think he'll ever be bankrupt but then again maybe Apple won't be either, only the future will tell, but it almost happened before when Steve Jobs was fired!

So i would go with the MAC still, but its always good to have a windows desktop as well! I use both a lot.

Oh My God i cant deny this...
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »

Caved in and bought a new 17" Macbook Pro.

I needed a new laptop-ish device cause mine that I use for school just took a shit so I got the basic 17" MBP with anti-glare screen and a 750GB HDD. Got an upgrade of RAM coming for a lot cheaper than the Apple store charged so that will make it run a little smoother. Also am able to get Final Cut Studio and the Adobe Suite from my college to use - so that's saving another couple grand right there.

Now I have a PC desktop powerhouse and a Macbook Pro powerhouse. Best of both worlds?
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

Caved in and bought a new 17" Macbook Pro.

I needed a new laptop-ish device cause mine that I use for school just took a shit so I got the basic 17" MBP with anti-glare screen and a 750GB HDD. Got an upgrade of RAM coming for a lot cheaper than the Apple store charged so that will make it run a little smoother. Also am able to get Final Cut Studio and the Adobe Suite from my college to use - so that's saving another couple grand right there.

Now I have a PC desktop powerhouse and a Macbook Pro powerhouse. Best of both worlds?

Definitely! I didnt have money for the 17' haha i have the 13'

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »

Figured if I was going to go balls deep - might as well go all in.

Should be here in a few days...as a teaser my new backpack and some other accessories arrived today. Assholes! hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

Great thread. Im bout to be in the market for a new computer and have always been a PC guy.. thinking of making the switch. this thread helps with info from people i trust.

Thanks! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »

Bad timing cotis, Apple just announced the new range with the new Sandy Bridge line of Intel processors yesterday. I hope you got one of those...
I had said earlier in this thread that they would around about this time.

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »

Bad timing cotis, Apple just announced the new range with the new Sandy Bridge line of Intel processors yesterday. I hope you got one of those...
I had said earlier in this thread that they would around about this time.

That's with the iMacs though, no?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »

Ah yes, you're right. Smiley Guess I wasn't paying attention...

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »

I win! ok

Just kidding hihi but I did hear about that but I needed something portable so I went with the MBP!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »

Dell Inspiron 17 had a 400 dollar discount, so i just stuck with Dell. I've had 4 Dell computers and all have been excellent. have had my desktop since 2006 and have had zero problems with it.

I went all out on it though.. Blu ray, the wireless adapter that allows u to use your HDtv as a screen...   6GB,DDR3,2 DIMM memory,  500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive    2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz .    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - N12P-GE 1GB  Graphics,  HD audio with SRS.

1400 dollar package for 1038.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »

Good choice, D. You might want to upgrade your hard disk to an SSD if it fits in your budget.
I have been using a Dell Inspiron for a few years now without a single problem as well.

Fuck 'Em All.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »

This topic arises every year or two and never is there a clear winner. The arguments get twisted every time and the real issue is left aside from all the noise. From my experience, both are excellent choises if you know what you're getting into. Both PCs and MACs have, when chosen the right hardware, plenty of power to do whatever it is you want to do. I'm using a pc and have absolutely no problems with it. And yes, I've seen MACs crash. A thing that's never happened with my Win7. But. This doesn't mean that MACs are unstable or that Windows machines are ultimately better.

It's all up to your preference. Can you get better hardware with less money with PCs? Yes! Will the MACs be probably easier to use at first? Probably. Can you do whatever you fucking want with both of them? Pretty much.

I actually wanted to end with "abso-fucking-lutely", but then someone would've pointed out some small detail and it would've been less dramatic.

So it's all about preferences. Can't we just let this thing go and agree that PCs are better? Wink

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2011, 05:49:47 AM »

I'm thinking about buying a new iMac, with 27" screen.

But I just realised how stupid it is to live in Finland.. the model I'm looking for costs $1699 at Apple store. In euros that would be around 1200?, but in the store it's 1679? (=$2305). That makes no sense at all!

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »

I'm thinking about buying a new iMac, with 27" screen.

But I just realised how stupid it is to live in Finland.. the model I'm looking for costs $1699 at Apple store. In euros that would be around 1200?, but in the store it's 1679? (=$2305). That makes no sense at all!

Same thing in Portugal bro  Undecided Can't stand it, and i work for Apple  hihi

Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Has anyone used an antivirus for Mac that would recommend?
And what program should I use to open .rar files?
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »

I did recently try the mackeeper software as a trial just to clean up my machine a bit. I've read some reviews on it, mostly negative.
Can get yourself into trouble if you delete the wrong files.

One of the great things about Macs is that you really don't need to worry about anti virus software.
They were designed with security in mind.
Just don't install any software you are unsure of and you should be all set.

Also, I believe macs come installed with an Archive Utility that will unarchive your rar files, so no additional software necessary.
If you want to create one, you can under the finder menu, compress.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 05:50:21 AM »

As far as im aware virus's dont exist on macs

html sucks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: