Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 02:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227947 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Mormons to lose dominance of US state of Utah within 30 years: figures
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mormons to lose dominance of US state of Utah within 30 years: figures  (Read 2309 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: July 28, 2005, 10:31:07 PM »

SALT LAKE CITY, United States (AFP) - The Mormon faith looks set to lose its 150-year-old dominance over US state of Utah by the year 2030 as more people leave the church than can be recruited, figures showed.

By 2030, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will no longer be in the majority in the state their forefathers founded, figures from the state's Office of Planning and Budget showed.

Currently Mormons make up 62.4 percent of the state's population, according to the who according to the 2004 census, but every county in the state showed a decrease in church membership since 2000.

In recent years the number of converts has not kept pace with those leaving the church, whose leaders began populating the then desolate western American state in 1847, experts said.

"Utah is essentially becoming more like the nation," said Robert Spendlove, the lead demographer for the state, told the Salt Lake Tribune.

The problem originates in the faith's tradition of rapid conversion of investigators to the church according to David Stewart, a church member and

researcher who has studied the problem of member retention in the church.

Stewart, who has studied the question for over 14 years, said that such quick conversions are a "recipe for inactivity."

"I'm encouraged that there is a little bit of awareness of the problem," he said.

The American Religious Identification Survey of 2001 the Graduate Center of City University of New York said in a report that the same number of people had left the Mormon church in the United States as had joined it.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 06:27:43 AM »

I assume thats only a good thing?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 09:35:46 AM »

Yea, I guess. I thought it was interesting. Too bad the local Mormon isn't here to read this. (Well maybe he is...who knows  confused).

Being like the rest of the country....would be a good thing.
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »

Yea, I guess. I thought it was interesting. Too bad the local Mormon isn't here to read this. (Well maybe he is...who knows? confused).

Being like the rest of the country....would be a good thing.

Are you talking about me?

Nah, I'm not mormon, I just live here.

I think this is good in many ways for the state of Utah especially politically.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:50:09 PM »

Does that finally mean that the people of Utah can finally get normal beer instead of the weak crap they are sold?  The Mormans are a big cult based on lies told to John Smith by a magical porcipine in the woods, no bullshit!
Markus Asraelius
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »

Does that finally mean that the people of Utah can finally get normal beer instead of the weak crap they are sold?? The Mormans are a big cult based on lies told to John Smith by a magical porcipine in the woods, no bullshit!

I am consistently amused by people's opinions of Utah and Mormonism.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 03:34:48 PM »

They only allow light beers to be sold in the grocery store. Heavier beers are sold in the liquor store.

And no I did not mean you M.A.

There is no special crap beer made for Utah, although people tend to think that.

Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 05:31:35 PM »

this is definitely a good thing...but mormons have no bounds, i kid you not but there is a mormon church 100 yards from where I live and theyve just build an extension...strange thing is that i know of noone who goes to the church and in its 15 years of being there I have hardly seen anyone there...who the feck funds these guys? it certainly isnt the local people...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 12:35:37 AM »

who the feck funds these guys? it certainly isnt the local people...

They do. 10% of earnings is expected from the church. If you want to be temple worthy, then you better be ready to have them go through your finances to make sure you are giving 10 percent.......
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: