Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The end of Oil, the end of the world
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The end of Oil, the end of the world  (Read 3356 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: April 23, 2006, 01:06:54 PM »

75 $

what do you think of it ?
OPEC (saudi arabia ...) say they have a lot left, but they still dont open the valves.
Oil is getting very expensive. what does it tell about the future? should we change our behaviors now ? i live in a big city and i have my electrical metro. but what about americans or even french people who arent in paris ... how are they gonna stop taking their cars to go get their milk ?

they say we have 40 years of oil left. but so what? in 5 years, it will be so overpriced that commercial airlines will cancel couch. only 1st classes will keep on going. then nothing. are we gonna ride horses again (yeah !) ?

is it the end of the mondialisation.
is bringing a cheap shirt all the way from china gonna be so expensive and dangerous that we'll start making our Nikes at home ?

and again, experts say that Oil is such an amazing resource that NOTHING can replace it by itself. from nuclear, to bio-masses to wind, each of them has terrible disadvantages ...

so america went to iraq for oil ... but who's gonna invest in a shaky civil war iraq, and oil barrels will be so expensive in a few years that the basic american wont profit of this crusade anyway.

Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »

I think its partially a bunch of shit .... oil has 40 years left from the middle east but has anyone remembered about the tarsands in canada .... we have tons here and well we havent even used any of it ... so once we run out of it and the tar sands. We can worry but thats out of our lifetime

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:22:49 PM »

I think its partially a bunch of shit .... oil has 40 years left from the middle east but has anyone remembered about the tarsands in canada .... we have tons here and well we havent even used any of it ... so once we run out of it and the tar sands. We can worry but thats out of our lifetime

well not technically. cause the "new" spots were founding requires technology we dont have (to extract it) therefore the price aint coming down ... and yeah ... our life time .... but you gonna have kids bro Smiley

considering your response, i think that, yeah, we're doomed, cause we ain't giving up our Ipods and suvs Wink

mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 04:35:12 PM »

IMHO, we need to immediately incentivise the use of non hydrocarbon fuelled modes of transport- we need to remember that oils, and other organic hydrocarbons are used for much more important things than transport.

At the moment, we are technologically able to replace oils for transportation, but choose not to, as performance is not comparable; there may be other reasons also.

However, various industrial catalysts and important semiconductors are derived, amongst other products from hydrocarbons- we have no viable alternatives for these ergo should conserve the limited stocks for these currently vital purposes.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »

The oil companies already have the next generation of fuels and engines ready to go - they will be able to switch in a matter of hours.

Remember - when there are trillion of dollars involved companies dont let a little thing like no fuel stand in the way

Capitalism finds a way....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »

The oil companies already have the next generation of fuels and engines ready to go - they will be able to switch in a matter of hours.

Remember - when there are trillion of dollars involved companies dont let a little thing like no fuel stand in the way

IMHO, it's not only about having the next generation ready, it's about diffusing it into society .... you dont take back all the cars and give the people futuristic water-fueled spaceships overnight...

mlewis > i'm pretty sure most of oil is used for transport (airplanes 1st), nope ?

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:31:42 PM »

IM going to go old school with this one...... ill pretend im talking to NightTrain

Answer these questions

What is the current production values of OPEC? non OPEC?

What above the above technical Top production cabiblity?

now Look at teh US alone.... there has been no increase in refining cabalties since really the 70's

take oll of the nations and see where the total refining cability is and what current refing capicity remains

what do you see?

your answer...... OPEC even by going to 100% would not be able to knock the current price values that are out tere... it may reduce for 3 months by 2% but the price would remiain rising due to the supply deman formula.

here is something else to look at, its an article that was posted last week refering to the incoming 20% decrease that should occur over teh next 6-12 months... and talks about the artifical inflation in real oil costs from where they should be. NOT just with oil but with precious metals as well

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/04/19/commodity-060419.html

ALSO A TIMELINE OF OIL PRICE JUMPS AND DROPS FROM THE 70'S TILL NOW
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/oil/forces.html

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »

Brilliant post Izzy.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  Capitalism will certainly find a way. 
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »

Edited, cause I got distracted

I wanna go back to horses when petrol runs out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:07:50 PM by Danny Top Hat » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 02:09:21 AM »

Fuels and engines yes (for a while now.)

Fuel that can power our society as oil does now: no.
Megaguns
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »

Me too, cowboy days rule.  ok
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »

Me too, cowboy days rule. ok

i already have my boots ready .... made for walking ....

wink
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:56 AM »

I was watching CNN last night, a program about energy and oil and how the word uses it. Any ways they said saudi arabia has no idea how much oil they have left, nobody really knows. China is the second largest consumer of oil next to the US. In China 1 in seven families (not people, families) owns a car, but they all would like one, the way their economy is going there will be more cars, more oil consumption. So China is turning to Iran for oil, in exchange for nuclear secrets. One thing about that show that was interesting was about Brazil. In the 70's their military government backed an idea for renewable energy, sugarcane by products turned into fuel. In Brazil 85% of their cars run on this stuff. The sugarcane grows there, the process into sugar for the consumers, the byproduct is turned into fuel and the energy that runs the refineries is also fueled by the byproduct, simply amazing. Brazil says within 10 yrs they will not need any outside oil or energy, they will be totally independant energywise.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »

Brazil says within 10 yrs they will not need any outside oil or energy, they will be totally independant energywise.

Too bad our leaders can't think this way..........
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:35:03 PM »

Would Ethanol be better cost wise?
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »

see its comes down to the required area to grow the crops to produce ethnol in vast enough quanties to be independant...... well the US would have to plant itsself over about 2 or 3 times......

EDIT: BETTER AS AN ADDITIVE TO FUEL

edit: 1000th post

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »

see its comes down to the required area to grow the crops to produce ethnol in vast enough quanties to be independant...... well the US would have to plant itsself over about 2 or 3 times......

EDIT: BETTER AS AN ADDITIVE TO FUEL

edit: 1000th post

exactly. this bio_masses energy, are, 1st far from being BIO - cf. all the poison we use to grow the crops - and then, you're using land to produce energy where you could produce .... food. what a choice.

about OPEP stocks .. they are far from being transparent.
they've been giving false information, for many reasons.

and again, the is making a mistake, imo, turning most of oil spot into unstable civil war regions, this is bad. they're shaping the world-oil-war before it even starts.

anyway, nuclear cars would be so cool. imagine . 0 to 100 miles in 1 seconds Smiley

unoturbo
The Little engineer that could
VIP

With 5 million I could do what You spend 50mil on

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 01:05:45 PM »

Hopefully it will run out sooner, greenhouse emissions will reduce and the natural balance of the planet that we seem so determined to destroy will be restored. In the meantime there will be mass panic and nuclear wars. About 3 or 4 billion people, hopefully more, will die and we can start a new society that isn't as fucked up or retarded! Now that would rock, unless I died, as that would suck.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people
who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 01:07:24 PM »

Brazil says within 10 yrs they will not need any outside oil or energy, they will be totally independant energywise.

Too bad our leaders can't think this way..........

Everyone knows the oil companies line the politicians pockets.

The only thing that will make our country better is when the oil ac tually does run out.

Our country for one would be a much better place without oil.

What I find most hilarious is, we are fighting a "War on Terror" correct?

Doesnt all the cash we spend for oil indirectly fund terrorism?

Brazil can do it, we could do it but the politicians would never let that happen, the oil companies and their kickbacks, make sure that their gouging and record profits are here to stay.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »

Would Ethanol be better cost wise?

No.

http://www.energybulletin.net/5062.html

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: