Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Mel Gibson's Apocalypto
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mel Gibson's Apocalypto  (Read 6314 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: December 11, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/ smoking

apparently it's pretty good
very violent.

and with subtitles. and you guys, americans, still did go see the movie even if you had to read the subs, as the flick did pretty good at the box office.

any of you saw it ?

comes out in january in france Sad

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »

So Americans don't goto films if there are subtitles?  Sorry Wat-Ever, but french film is straight dog shit in my opinion.  hell, the French loved Charles Bronson and he came back to America to make one of the best action movie franchises; Death Wish.  So don't lump Americans as bunch of morons who like flashy colors and big booms while the French have some an exquisite taste in cinema that baffles us yanks.  Art is a very subjective and one is extremely hardpressed to claim one genre of film is better than another.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »

oh god .....

before we go back on the subject of the post

yes, americans generaly do not like subtitles. that's all i said. and it's widely accepted. do not get offended here.

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:25:03 PM »

The passion of the christ was all subtitles and it did very well.? The question at hand is what movies are being sent to America with subtitles?? It's very rare when a film comes out in America that doesn't have English dubbed over, as the same is true in Europe.? I remember my Spanish professor saying he watch Undersiege with Steven Segal for the first time in Spain where the voice actor had a very masculine voice.? When he saw it in America he was shocked at how high Segal's voice is.? It's my understanding that most of the "subtitled" films are very "artsy" and never even see a main stream release.  Although that Jet Li movie Hero was badass.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:13 PM »

. that's all i said. and it's widely accepted. do not get offended here.

That's his gig, straight out of the Bill O handbook man..............
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:33:22 PM »

Nah, if I was offended I'd create my own forum where I shit talk people behind their back under a smug assertion of superiority.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »

Nah, if I was offended I'd create my own forum where I shit talk people behind their back under a smug assertion of superiority.

Boo hoo hoo.

I say what I want in an open forum for the entire world to see. If I don't like somebody I say it. The only difference between me and the rest of you guys is that I have the balls to say it in the open and not on some admin section or pm's to one another.

Get over it.
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 01:42:59 PM »

Yea it takes real balls for you to libel against people in a forum you signed up for from a free forum site.  Anytime someone strays from the pack you chew em up and spit em out and you group of joiners toes the line.  What takes real balls is to try and remain civil in a discussion with someone who distorts what you say and has no problem making personal attacks under the ruse of "it's all in good fun."   Roll Eyes
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »

The passion of the christ was all subtitles and it did very well.? The question at hand is what movies are being sent to America with subtitles?? It's very rare when a film comes out in America that doesn't have English dubbed over, as the same is true in Europe.? I remember my Spanish professor saying he watch Undersiege with Steven Segal for the first time in Spain where the voice actor had a very masculine voice.? When he saw it in America he was shocked at how high Segal's voice is.? It's my understanding that most of the "subtitled" films are very "artsy" and never even see a main stream release.? Although that Jet Li movie Hero was badass.

It makes me wonder if Mel Gibson can do a movie that has english dialogue in it.  First The Passion and now this?  I wanna see it, though.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:59 PM »

Yea it takes real balls for you to libel against people in a forum you signed up for from a free forum site.  Anytime someone strays from the pack you chew em up and spit em out and you group of joiners toes the line.  What takes real balls is to try and remain civil in a discussion with someone who distorts what you say and has no problem making personal attacks under the ruse of "it's all in good fun."   Roll Eyes

Funny, yet you joined my forum, both times. And are hurling insults back, just like everybody else.

So funny isn't it?

You can't have it both ways.

My place has no rules, if I want to call somebody a giant douche, then I'll do it. In this forum I'll respect Jarmo's rules and not do that. I also belong to another forum where the open forum has no real rules. You either stay or you don't. But you don't run around and try to get people banned (like you do here) from other forums and "tell" on them to make the naughy posts stop.

So out of respect for Jarmo's place, lets stop now. Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:56:29 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

Gibson draws parallels between the downfall of the Mayan civiliation and the current state of affairs in the U.S. (see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15001985/). ?A little over the top, IMO, but then again I'd expect nothing less from Mad Max.

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:20 PM »

SLC... Stop this shit now.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:33:31 PM »

I can't wait to see it - looks awesome.  Number one movie in America if I'm not mistaken. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 02:44:19 PM »

Any drunks bastards talk about racism in this movie? Might make it more interesting with subtitles. but im not sure.

I remember some parts of last of the mohicans have subtitles and it made me lose interest in the film. The picture quality was decent though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:46:01 PM by jabba2 » Logged
T_Roxie
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »

This film actually looks really good and particularly atmospheric, i can't wait to see it!  I love the idea of it being in the native language, it makes it so much better!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 03:03:59 PM »

SLC... Stop this shit now.

I already had......

So out of respect for Jarmo's place, lets stop now. Thanks.

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »

this looks different and quite interesting, definitely on my list of movies to see this year.

its a pretty interesting topic, i cant remember if it was the Incas or the Mayans but didnt they one day just dissapear? like leave their cities and flee into the forest never to be seen again? thats crazy.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »

this looks different and quite interesting, definitely on my list of movies to see this year.

its a pretty interesting topic, i cant remember if it was the Incas or the Mayans but didnt they one day just dissapear? like leave their cities and flee into the forest never to be seen again? thats crazy.

I think it was the Incas....or was it the Azteks??  I don't know.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
T_Roxie
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 03:25:48 PM »

Teh Aztecs were brought down by the Spanish.  The maya (civilisation) did disappear long before, it's not really known what happened.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 03:44:19 PM »

http://www.differentworld.com/mexico/places/chichen_itza/chichen_itza.htm

The great thing about movies like this is that it inspires so many people to learn more about a given ancient civilization.  The above link shows the ancient Mayan ruins in Chichen Itza, which I believe was the center of the Mayan empire... I visited Chichen Itza when I was in Mexico years ago (that pyramid is fucking steep!) and on the bus on the way there, we stopped in a town that had an indigenous Mayan population.  Was really cool... I especially loved the traditional Mayan food, which had hardly any similarities to Mexican food. 
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: