Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227835 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The meaning of Stairway To Heaven?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The meaning of Stairway To Heaven?  (Read 8109 times)
N.I.B
God of Thunder
VIP

Roooowwwwwwrrrrr! Rooowwwwooorrrroorr! Rwwwwaaarr!

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 09:05:44 PM »

I've always thought that the true meaning of a song is in the listener's interpretation of it.? For me, "Stairway To Heaven" is indelibly linked with Lord of the Rings, because I first read the book and heard the song at the same time, so they kind of got linked in that regard.? Zeppelin always had those quasi-mystical lyrics, and with lines like "the piper will lead us to reason" and "the forests will echo with laughter", and references to "the lady who shines white light", I always associate "Stairway To Heaven" with Frodo's journey in The Lord of the Rings.

i also always thought i had to do with LOTR. the stairway to heaven, is actully the stairs outside of Minas Morgul, the stairs to mount doom. the lady is Lady Galadriel (dunno if i spelled it right) and the last part os reffering to Frodo and Sam on the road "with their shadows taller then their souls". many of the topics in the song reference the book so thats where i get my meaning of it.

It's not easy being furry...ever had dandruff on your crotch?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 12:53:42 AM »

rant  rant  rant

I'll settle this once and for all. Music and lyrics MUST be comprehended OBJECTIVELY. A 3 year old, college professor, and drugged up hippie will have VERY different perceptions of a piece of art. The best way to know what the art's purpose is is to ask the CREATOR. Robert Plant admitted the words are just there to go along with the music. Because art is a reflection of nature, art must be ordered and structured like nature, and with purpose. If it's just something made up on the spot, it's not art, but ENTERTAINMENT.

That's why the lyrics of Stairway are not meaningful at all. They are just there to go with the music, and there is no point to them at all. The song would have been fine without them. Plant isn't that great of a singer anyway.

And abstract expressionists can STFU. Too many philosophers have debunked the random patterns they call "art". Let's lay these mediocre lyrics to rest here. Why couldn't Achilles Last Stand be remembered as Zeppelin's finest moment?  rant
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 01:49:20 PM »

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
Does this answer your question? Grin

The first half of the fifth verse is about female puberty, periods and the like

I think the piper refers to Satan, as in the piper is calling you = you're being tempted to sin and do the wrong things

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 04:11:04 AM »

I always thought that this song was about a lady who just saved all of her money.  But everyone knows that money isnt needed in heaven. So she died and her life was lead worrying about money and her possesions when she should have been enjoyig life!!  Grin

I'm young and Nieve, but I like my view of the story  yes

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 11:05:59 AM »

I always think that songs always has 2 meanings a good meaning and a bad meaning, is always up to you what path you can take, remember there's still time to change the road you're on.
Weather this song have satanic message or not it's one of the greatest songs ever made  peace

No man can be my equal
Buddy J.B.
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »

I think the reason about the subliminal verses with Stairway to Heaven is so popular is because of Jimmy Page and his " fascinations". I think you could play any record backwards no matter who it is or what genre and still hear nasty words.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:54:36 PM by SuperMike » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: