Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  For God's sake, the Radiohead thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For God's sake, the Radiohead thread  (Read 22610 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »

you have to listen to it five times in loop to be plainly into it,
that's rich music with a lot of textures and sounds to feel.

Oh, it definitely seems like the kind of album that needs multiple plays to 'get it'.

I think I will give it another shot down the road. Maybe the fact I listened to it about 11pm last night didn't help much.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:38 AM »

Incredibly mellow and peaceful album put forth by Radiohead - too short in my opinion, only 8 songs - but some of them have been floating around for awhile...perhaps another one will follow soon with the rest of the floaters.

Anyway - very happy with the sound of this album - curious if any other Radiohead listeners feel the same way
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »

See I never really got the whole "you need to listen to it X amount of times to "get it""  Great records are great records.  I know sometimes a second listen is necessary to really fall in love with something. but for me I can tell you in the first listen if im going to love it or not.  Guns, Metallica, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Nirvana etc...I never had to study their records, they are just great.  Of course I say this because I do not get Radiohead at all, I just dont get the appeal, its pretty depressing, and that last song that came out goes nowhere.  I love rock n roll bands though, which they aren't, what would they be classified as?  Some of my coworkers go on and on about Radiohead, and I feel like a foreigner in some strange land because I just don't get it at all.  I also don't do drugs, does that have anything to do with it?
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »

^I think listening to some albums more and more can help you develop more of an appreciation for them, rather than simply thinking "this is alright" and sticking with that opinion. Like I said earlier in this thread, I never used to like Radiohead but did after hearing OK Computer. The more times I listen to the songs, the more I appreciate the various layers and bits I may have missed before. The more I listened to them, the more I liked them quite honestly.

Obviously there are some bands this applies to more than others (I doubt anyone would need to repeatedly listen to AC/DC to 'get' them), and Radiohead are one of them.

Like you, I thought they were depressing too, but I like to think of them now as more 'atmospheric' than 'depressing'. I can't comment too much on their later stuff, because aside from the new album, all I own are The Bends and OKC, the 'guitar' albums. They got more experimental and electronic later on, which is perhaps why the new album didn't immediately grab hold of me because I've not listened to any of the stuff from '97 to the present day.

BTW Bodhi, they can rock out when they want to Wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl-pXpXxK00

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »

yeah i am a radiohead hater.

I think its the equivalent as the painter who just splashes a bunch of shit on a canvas and too cool for school uppity snobs make it out like its the most artistic fantastic thing ever.

that is Radiohead for me. Just nonsense people overrate to feel smarter/better than other music fans.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »

funny way to explain your own lack of culture

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »

How much Radiohead have you listened to, D?

PS. Don't fuck with Jackson Pollock. Tongue

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

funny way to explain your own lack of culture

and my point is proven

LIking Radiohead makes people feel "better' than other music fans, more "cultured" whatever the fuck that means, keener listening ears, more intelligent.

I think all that is bullshit.  I love Mozart,Beethoven,the Real Bach

Radiohead are ok, Inrainbows was a pretty good CD but I don't think its all that.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »

^I like Radiohead (well, the two albums I own) and it doesn't make me feel betetr than anyone. I don't really care if liking Radiohead makes me seem cultured, a snob, pretentious, a man of good taste....

I can understand how you might think that people who like a complex, cerebral band like Radiohead see themselves as being more 'cultured', but is that just your way of saying 'I don't like them'? No need to go off on people who do like them, just say you don't like them. Tongue

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »

^I like Radiohead (well, the two albums I own) and it doesn't make me feel betetr than anyone. I don't really care if liking Radiohead makes me seem cultured, a snob, pretentious, a man of good taste....

I can understand how you might think that people who like a complex, cerebral band like Radiohead see themselves as being more 'cultured', but is that just your way of saying 'I don't like them'? No need to go off on people who do like them, just say you don't like them. Tongue

I know where D is coming from, the majority of people I know who love Radiohead are the same ones who chuckle and roll their eyes at the idea that anyone can like Guns N Roses.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »

and my point is proven

LIking Radiohead makes people feel "better' than other music fans, more "cultured" whatever the fuck that means, keener listening ears, more intelligent.

no, it's not.

It's not the fact that you listen to Radiohead which makes you more cultured, it's the fact that the more cultured you are, the more you can easily understand it and enjoy it.
and it's not a really elitist music, it's pop music, music for the masses, it sells millions of records, we don't talk about Varese or Concrete music here.

like listening to Guns N'Roses doesn't mean you're an idiotic racist redneck, listening to Radiohead is not a sign of intellectual pretentiousness, please stop the simplistic clich?s.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »

My comments are aimed at the Critic. none of u guys on here

its just u have the critics darlings. The Radioheads,Arcade Fire, Muse etc and its like no matter what they do, go ahead and stamp 5 stars on it.

they could basically leave a phone off the hook and sing a melody around the sound it makes and people would hail it the most progressive,genius idea of the 21st century.

Kind of like with Kanye West's new album. Lord i wanna scream everytime i read what a masterpiece it is etc.. I am a Kanye fan but i don't see it being some gigantic masterpiece.

In pop culture, u have those pretentious,elitist types and whether its Casablanca is the greatest film ever on down the line.. they feel superior for "getting" what others find being rubbish. its human nature, to always search for ways to feel better than the next guy. Musically this is Radiohead fans.

same way I get laughed at for liking Bon Jovi. same thing reversed.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »

its just u have the critics darlings. The Radioheads,Arcade Fire, Muse etc and its like no matter what they do, go ahead and stamp 5 stars on it.

OK, that I can agree with. I think some critics overrate some bands, including ones I like, Radiohead being one of them. Nirvana are another band I love, but stil l feel they get overrated at times.

But you shouldn't feel that people listen to Radiohead because they think it makes them smarter. I've listened to songs like Karma Police, Fake Plastic Trees, Creep, Aribag, Let Down.... I like them for what they are. There was a time when I would've said that Radiohead were overrated and whatnot but actually listening to them properly has made me see why people like them in the first place. Like DeN said, it's pop music, it ain't Revolution 9 or anything like that (for the record, I like Revolution 9 as well...).

D, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way or anything, but have you listened to much Radiohead? If not, you should at least try a few songs out, you might get something that works for you, to quote a famous man. ok

DeN
Legend

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »

yeah, but THAT is laughable.  hihi

about Radiohead, if you have some difficulties to listen to their recent music, try some old tracks, more pop and still delicious :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGRc_krpYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrigGPOfNAU

tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »

I've tried very hard to love Radiohead, I have -- I appreciate more than love them.  They make very interesting music, so I can understand the hype, but they just don't consistently "do it" for me.  I have most of their CD's (Amnesiac being the one I listen to the most) and I wouldn't consider any of them in my top 100 favorites.  I suppose I sort of classify them similarly to Pink Floyd.  Both bands I appreciate, but they just don't create the same "emotional high" that my favorite bands do.  Of course that's completely subjective and maybe will change in 10 years, so I don't denigrate anyone who loves Radiohead.  Certainly more respectable than loving an artist who is obviously only in it for the money.       

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
overmatik
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »

yeah, but THAT is laughable.  hihi

about Radiohead, if you have some difficulties to listen to their recent music, try some old tracks, more pop and still delicious :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGRc_krpYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrigGPOfNAU

What I think must be cleared here is the fact that the current Radiohead is not the same band which recorded Pablo Honey, The Bends and OK Computer. Radiohead has abdicated from Rock since Kid A and are doing their own thing. They have alienated a lot of fans and also have won new fans in the process. I for one am a huge fan of the past Radiohead but not so fond of this new one.

Funny thing is that the same process happened with Talk Talk in the late 80s. They went from alternative pop to post-rock.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »

it's the same band. but a band that continues to evolve, of course you can do everytime the same album, like AC/DC, but that's kind of boring.

I prefer bands who are not affraid to experiment, to change. Guns N'Roses do that too, thanks to Axl who has eclectics musical tastes.

like The Beatles, perfect example, I suppose a lot of old fans didn't get it when they've done Revolver.
too bad for them, Tomorrow Never Knows was much more exciting and brilliant than, let's say, Love Me Do...

overmatik
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

it's the same band. but a band that continues to evolve, of course you can do everytime the same album, like AC/DC, but that's kind of boring.

I prefer bands who are not affraid to experiment, to change. Guns N'Roses do that too, thanks to Axl who has eclectics musical tastes.

like The Beatles, perfect example, I suppose a lot of old fans didn't get it when they've done Revolver.
too bad for them, Tomorrow Never Knows was much more exciting and brilliant than, let's say, Love Me Do...

The Beatles evolved inside the rock n roll genre. Both Abbey Road and Please Please Me are rock albums. Pink Floyd, Yes and Genesis also evolved inside rock. Radiohead changed their musical genre, this is a fact. You may like what they are doing now but saying that they are a rock band is denying reality. Radiohead is now a post-rock/experimental/electronic/dance you name it band, but they are not a rock band. Evolution happened from Pablo Honey to OK Computer. Kid A didn't mean an evolution, but a revolution. Smiley

Anyway, I thought this was common knowledge among Radiohead fans. Not only that, most fans are proud that they abandoned rock and the old fans like me keep on waiting every release to be a return to rock, which obviously haven't happened yet...  Angry
DeN
Legend

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »

Tomorrow Never Knows is generally considered as the first electro song of history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3NcwfOBzQ

I think it's not so distant of the Radiohead's evolution in terms of sounds and structures, and it's not really Rock music...

overmatik
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »

Tomorrow Never Knows is generally considered as the first electro song of history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3NcwfOBzQ

I think it's not so distant of the Radiohead's evolution in terms of sounds and structures, and it's not really Rock music...

Yes, but the song structure is there. Radiohead gave up melodies and song structures.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: