Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227840 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Heavy-Metal: yes or no?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heavy-Metal: yes or no?  (Read 33780 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« on: May 22, 2005, 12:07:20 PM »

I'd like to know what do you like in that kind of music. I have a big problem with anything metal/heavy-metal/trash etc... and I'm very surprised to see how many GN'R fans listen to that kind of music, I just don't understand: What are you attracted by??what do you like in heavy-metal? I'm just curious to know it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 05:59:04 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 12:19:13 PM »

Wrong section......

Metal is so diverse that even hearin all the genre's can take a life time and i wouldn't claim to have heard a fraction of what constitutes metal

Just because your music taste is so narrow don't have a go at others that can enjoy all types of music, open your mind

Metal is the most extreme conveyance of emotion capable of being delivered in musical form - thats why people love it

And FYI non-GNR fans consider GNR to be metal - everything from Poison and Bon Jovi to Slayer an beyond is metal. Like i said, its a huge and varied genre
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 12:23:16 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »

Just because your music taste is so narrow don't have a go at others that can enjoy all types of music, open your mind
1) stay correct with me, thanks.
2) I listen to everything, absolutely everything exept metal? and heavy hip-hop because I don't understand these music. That's why I create this topic, to ask "metal" fans what they enjoy in it. You don't have the right to tell me "open your mind" if I don't like metal. It's not beeing open/close minded at all. It's an opinion, it's subjective. If I don't like it nobody will force me to like it. It has nothing to do with beeing open minded. exemple:
"-Do you like NSYNC?
- No
- Your music taste is so narow, open your mind."
As you can see, this argument isn't valid.

Metal is the most extreme conveyance of emotion capable of being delivered in musical form - thats why people love it
people? what people? most of people (general public) don't listen to metal.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 06:44:00 PM by nesquick » Logged

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 12:54:33 PM »

were are you getting metal doesn't have heart and soul ?

And only a few people listen to metal , were did you get that from?

As far as why I listen to metal.Well it's Pretty simple, I love the passion and  the agression that it has .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »

I'd like to know what do you like in that kind of music. I have a HUGE problem with anything metal/heavy-metal/trash etc...for me it's really extremely bad music. I mean noise. I really, really can't stand that. I'm very surprised to see how many GN'R fans listen to that kind of music, I just don't understand: What are you attracted by? 
For me it's the total opposite of what Rock n' Roll is. Rock music has bluesy roots, it's feeling, it's emotion, it's passion, it's also a real culture. Listening to old school Rock like Elvis or BB king is like finding the roots of Rock N' Roll. It comes from the soul, from the heart. And metal is so far from that. It's just the total opposite. So...what do you like in metal? I'm just curious to know it.
Get a life and stop having a go at something you could never understand.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 02:47:13 PM »

Wow, who ever would of thought this would have turned into a nesquick-punching bag thread.

I'll be nice and just say "Different strokes for different folks..."
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:01:17 PM »

im with nesquick, i dont understand it either...metal sucks as a music form as does rap and bubblegum pop

Wrong section......

Metal is so diverse that even hearin all the genre's can take a life time and i wouldn't claim to have heard a fraction of what constitutes metal

And FYI non-GNR fans consider GNR to be metal - everything from Poison and Bon Jovi to Slayer an beyond is metal. Like i said, its a huge and varied genre

diverse? you gotta be joking, all metal is noise, noisier and even more noise

extreme conveyance of emotion? oh please dont make me laugh, what a crap argument...rock portrays hundreds of emotions, metal portrays 1, enough said

i dont know anyone who thinks of gnr as metal...hard rock, rock, rock and roll maybe but it certainly isnt metal

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 04:03:51 PM »

1) stay correct with me, thanks.
2) I listen to everything, absolutely everything exept metal? and heavy hip-hop because I don't understand these music. That's why I create this topic, to ask "metal" fans what they enjoy in it. You don't have the right to tell me "open your mind"

On the contrary i have ever right, i just don't have the right to FORCE u to change, smile Smiley

if I don't like metal. It's not beeing open/close minded at all.

Hogwash, to claim u dislike metal and be a GNR (METAL) fan at the same time is either close minded or stupid, u can choose which one u are

If I don't like it nobody will force me to like it.

Huh

It has nothing to do with beeing open minded. exemple:
"-Do you like NSYNC?
- No
- Your music taste is so narow, open your mind."
As you can see, this argument isn't valid.

I have to say NSync are kinda catchy...

You are completely missing the point which is its alright to dislike songs and bands on a INDIVIDUAL basis, close minded is disliking an entire genre which is dubious or even worse, disliking a band soley because they are part of that genre. I have rap albums, blues albums, classicial albums and yes, even 'pop' albums.

people? what people? most of people (general public) don't listen to metal.

U must be kidding me right? U failed to understand that? Nw i tried writing an explanation but gave up when i realised i can't make that any more obvious....maybe people means something different in your language...r galaxy? hihi

I have to say your points are grossly unsound considering GNR are widely regarded as METAL. Bon Jovi is pop-metal. Slayer is death metal, metallica was thrash metal, nightwish is power metal, Venom are black metal. Its a wide genre, but dislike it if u will - u just might need to reconsider your love of GNR, that both GNR and Black Sabbath can be put in the same group shows dismissing it all is somewhat daft.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 04:10:09 PM »

Yes. Roll Eyes

extreme conveyance of emotion? oh please dont make me laugh, what a crap argument...rock portrays hundreds of emotions, metal portrays 1, enough said

Anger, sorrow, frustration, maybe its one side of the spectrum but off the top of my head there's three already. Pop features 10 million songs about love - can't the same argument be applied to al forms of music?

i dont know anyone who thinks of gnr as metal...hard rock, rock, rock and roll maybe but it certainly isnt metal

U see i don't consider Black Sabbath to sit very well in the metal fold - but its there. One may ask how Bon Jovi and Venom are both metal - but they are. Where hard rock and metal meet is hard to define - but the gap between Coldplay (rock) and GNR is no greater than GNR and Pantera. To many GNR is metal.

Its naive to assume all metal is Canibal Corpse. Death metal and Black metal are too heavy for me but i don't dismiss them as lesser forms of music. One who does that is surely possesing fascist leanings....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 05:05:02 PM »

Anger, sorrow, frustration, maybe its one side of the spectrum but off the top of my head there's three already. Pop features 10 million songs about love - can't the same argument be applied to al forms of music?

U see i don't consider Black Sabbath to sit very well in the metal fold - but its there. One may ask how Bon Jovi and Venom are both metal - but they are. Where hard rock and metal meet is hard to define - but the gap between Coldplay (rock) and GNR is no greater than GNR and Pantera. To many GNR is metal.

Its naive to assume all metal is Canibal Corpse. Death metal and Black metal are too heavy for me but i don't dismiss them as lesser forms of music. One who does that is surely possesing fascist leanings....

sorrow?Huh..how can banging the shit out of drums be representative of sorrow?...i dont think you understand the meaning of the word

anger, frustration lumped under aggression, yes all part of the same spectrum...very narrow isnt it?

you know, i have a problem with people calling coldplay "rock"...exactly which parts of their music "rock"? they are bland and for people on prozac...so i disagree with the gap comment for sure

imo GNR has covered very little, if any, music that would be considered metal...which songs would that be? most of them are rock music

subtle dude, calling me a fascist, maybe i just have some taste in "music"...which means organised sound btw, something that metal isnt...hisssssssss

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 05:51:15 PM »

I agree with I.Q. I also agree to say Guns N' Roses is not metal (hoppefully, the honour is saved!), it's Rock, the musical approach is totally different. It's just another conception of what music is. But I didn't speak about GN'R, I spoke about Heavy-Metal. You know, I don't see sincerity in that kind of music, and that's what bother me. Some people say RN'B and Rap MTV trend music are fake music, ok, but Metal is not different. Do you think it's different because the second ones use guitars? No. what's the difference in the lack of sincerity between Ja Rule and slipknot? both are fake.

Wow, who ever would of thought this would have turned into a nesquick-punching bag thread.
Don't worry for me. I know how to speak. I changed the title to avoid confusions though.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 06:41:39 PM by nesquick » Logged

SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »

"Don't worry for me."

I wasn't.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »

iron maiden and judas priest are pretty good representations of what defines heavy metal. loud guitars, fist punching drums, and screeching lyrics. and gnr is very similar (with a little punk and blues mixed in). there are many genres of metal.

nesquick - it sounds like you are talking strictly about death metal. heavy songs with lyrics you can barely understand, and little or no melody. i am a fan of this type of music. but even i have to be in the mood to listen to it. there is a ton of feeling and emotion in these songs - primarily anger and aggression. listening to this type of music is a stress reliever. and the speed they play is impressive....especially seeing it live.

i've always liked heavy songs. they just fire me up. whether it was the stones (paint it black), beatles (helter skelter), metallica, nirvana, rage, or whoever, i've just always loved songs that rock hard. and over the years, i've had to turn to heavier and heavier music to get that same "high" i enjoy from a heavy song.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
MCT
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 11:16:43 AM »

Yes.

Fuck the detractors... Angry
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 12:50:06 PM »

i like metal because it has power. I still havent found anything powerfull, musically, for myself. But i love metal its just got something.

Like when you hear Skid Rows slave to the grind for the first time. It like just blows you away.

html sucks
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »

Like when you hear Skid Rows slave to the grind for the first time. It like just blows you away.

Perfect example, because I definitely wouldnt call their first release "metal" but Slave To The Grind just was all out aggression all the way through, even the "ballads"

An example that I use now to promote metal music is Dimmu Borgir. Listen to their "Death Cult Armageddon" cd. If you can ignore the "singer" the music is awesome.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »

nes, like you I'm not a big fan of the genre. especially hair metal sorts.
But the reason differs. I don't care rn'r or not. I just don't have a feel for them.
Same to MTV music in general, to me most of them sound predictable. Well, I might like some black metal.
I like heavy songs like sandman listed. I listen to many kinds of music. noise, some jazz n funk, African, classical, world traditional folk etc which, I guess, would get comment similar to Nes on metal.

it's true that GN'R is put into the HM category in many regions.
Because of the heavy hair metal feel on AFD, the HM department of the industry, critics n such seized hold of GN'R and won't let go. It's mostly the persons concerned in the HM business circles who keep bashing new GN'R. As I see it, to them the members are like the New Ager who they've nursed deep-seated grudges against since the punk. They don't want GN'R to outgrow the genre they cover.
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 02:43:51 PM »

im with nesquick, i dont understand it either...metal sucks as a music form as does rap and bubblegum pop

Wrong section......

Ignorant dick.

Listen to Hangar 18 by Megadeth and tell me that's 'just noise', you pussy.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »

what asswipe said that dude, listen to metallicas early albums!!!!!!!

html sucks
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »

heavy metal (originally) is gr8 musik. guitars r kool, and has a lot of attitude

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: