Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:49:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Hair Metal
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair Metal  (Read 13989 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2005, 10:52:35 PM »

Homophobia? Why would I have a fear from a bunch of pansies?

Obviously you have something against gays, since you pidgeonhole them as a "bunch of pansies", and you dub them "fags" -- one of the nastiest prejudicial words there is.
POPmetal
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2005, 10:58:42 PM »

Homophobia? Why would I have a fear from a bunch of pansies?

Obviously you have something against gays, since you pidgeonhole them as a "bunch of pansies", and you dub them "fags" -- one of the nastiest prejudicial words there is.

No, I have something against political correctness.

There is nothing prejudicial about the word "fags." It's just another unflattering word, there is no prejudicial history behind it like the n word.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:00:31 PM by POPmetal » Logged
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2005, 11:24:20 PM »

There is nothing prejudicial about the word "fags."

What world do you live in son?? The word "fags" is a very much widely used derogatory affront to homosexuals.

And everybody know that and you know that damn well so quit arguing and justifying your use of prejudicial slurs.? That has nothing to do with political correctness.? I don't say the word "nigger" either, not because it's the "politically correct" thing to do, but because it's a nasty slur.

And history my ass.? The word "Fags" has been used for decades to derisively describe gays, and once again, you know that damn well.? You're just being a hardhead.

And having something against political correctness is stupid too.  I mean, if you have something against being politically correct just for the sake of being politically correct, that's one thing. 

But you're the opposite -- you have something against political correctness just for the sake of having something against political correctness -- which is just as narrow and dense as the reverse.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:26:27 PM by Bridge » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2005, 11:59:42 PM »

Bridge nailed it, good post.  yes

POPmetal is so eager to be the "anti-PC guy" that he repeatedly uses these slurs to the point of contrivance.  And then, predictably, throws in the "Hey, my best friend is (insert slur meaning here)."  So you see, hes not really a bigot, hes just "the anti-PC guy"; he doesnt play by PC rules, and he has to remind us every chance that he gets.  Its a cliched shtick.  I think youve assessed it nicely, and hopefully POPmetal will think about what youve wrote.
POPmetal
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2005, 12:18:08 AM »

There is nothing prejudicial about the word "fags."

What world do you live in son?? The word "fags" is a very much widely used derogatory affront to homosexuals.

And everybody know that and you know that damn well so quit arguing and justifying your use of prejudicial slurs.? That has nothing to do with political correctness.? I don't say the word "nigger" either, not because it's the "politically correct" thing to do, but because it's a nasty slur.

And history my ass.? The word "Fags" has been used for decades to derisively describe gays, and once again, you know that damn well.? You're just being a hardhead.

And having something against political correctness is stupid too.? I mean, if you have something against being politically correct just for the sake of being politically correct, that's one thing.?

But you're the opposite -- you have something against political correctness just for the sake of having something against political correctness -- which is just as narrow and dense as the reverse.

The word fag is not a nasty slur such as the n word. History may not matter to you, but it matters to most people. Can we at least agree that it's absolutely nothing like the n word? Because I'm not clear, but you seem to be implying that it is similar to the n word.

Now, would it make you feel any better if I went back and edited my posts to replace every instance of fags with fairies? or queers or gays?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:23:00 AM by POPmetal » Logged
Bridge
Legend

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2005, 10:07:28 AM »

The word fag is not a nasty slur such as the n word.

Pretty much everyone would disagree.? Only people like you who use the word excessively would disagree.? Obviously you're not going to admit that you use nasty slurs.? But everybody else knows what the word means and knows that it means to gay people what the "N" word means to black people.

History may not matter to you, but it matters to most people.

Umm no, actually it doesn't!? Take a poll of any objective group of citizens and they will all tell you that "fags" is a nasty slur in the tradition of the "N" word!? NOBODY is going to start debating "history" when this subject comes up!

Yeah, I'm sure that if you walk by a group of gay people and yell "HEY FAGS!", I bet they're going to start telling themselves, "oh well, according to him, history doesn't say it's a nasty slur, so let's go along our merry way!"? ?Roll Eyes

Maybe "fags" hasn't been used as long as the "N" word, but if that is the extent of your argument, then you've got no argument.? That's like saying "spic" and "kike" aren't prejudicially offensive to Hispanics and Jews simply because they aren't commonly used like "nigger" is/was.

Can we at least agree that it's absolutely nothing like the n word?

No, we can't!

Because I'm not clear, but you seem to be implying that it is similar to the n word.

You're definitely "not clear" -- to yourself.? And forget any implications, I AM STATING OUT LOUD that it is on a parallel with the "N" word.

Let me explain it ad nauseum since you don't seem to be able to understand.....

The word "fags" is a derogatory term used to describe a specific group of people.? The word "Nigger" is a derogatory term used to describe a specific group of people.? Hence, they're both prejudicial slurs.? It's that simple.

"Fags" isn't merely an unflattering word.  "Stupid" is an unflattering word, because it can apply to anyone.  "Asshole" is an unflattering word, because it too can apply to anyone.  "Fags" and "Nigger" are not words that are applied to just anyone.

It is entirely irrelevant how long either "Fags" or "Nigger" has been used, because the principle remains the same.? And everybody knows that.? You're just inventing petty arguments to justify the usage of "Fags" because you use the word so gratuitously.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 10:18:01 AM by Bridge » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2005, 01:04:39 PM »

I meant people who criticize hair metal, not the fools who get paid by big record companies to hype their mediocre bands in trashy magazines, when I said critic.  rant
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »

Back on topic...

I love hair metal and I like tracking down bands that I still haven't heard yet even though their albums came out in the 80's or early 90's.

Here are some bands that I recently discovered:

Joker
Blue Tears
Emergency
Marchello
Saints & Sinners
Blonz
BB Steal

Heavy Harmonies is an awesome website to track down this kind of stuff.

Yeah, dude, me and my friend made a list of all the hair bands we could think of.  Then as we got CDs by those bands we'd cross their names of the list.  We've got quite a few of them.  However, the bands you just listed are far more obscure than anything I have.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2005, 03:03:43 PM »

You're definitely "not clear" -- to yourself.  And forget any implications, I AM STATING OUT LOUD that it is on a parallel with the "N" word.

"Fags" isn't merely an unflattering word.  "Stupid" is an unflattering word, because it can apply to anyone.  "Asshole" is an unflattering word, because it too can apply to anyone.  "Fags" and "Nigger" are not words that are applied to just anyone.

It is entirely irrelevant how long either "Fags" or "Nigger" has been used, because the principle remains the same.  And everybody knows that.  You're just inventing petty arguments to justify the usage of "Fags" because you use the word so gratuitously.

You're very ignorant. It might be "derogatory" in some peoples' minds to call short people short, but it's their own fault if they're weak minded and offended by the truth. The reality is, fag does accurately describe homosexuals because that's how God sees things. You might not like it, but that's because your view of reality is wrong. You need to evaluate your worldview and correct it. Also, take it to pms and don't hijack a thread because you're offended by someone's words.

Nigger does not always reflect reality, since success and merit are not unknown to blacks, despite what the KKK says. Individual blacks, however, can be niggers, at least if you know of Chris Rock's view of the subject. "My boss is African American, my friends are black, and the guy who stole my wallet is a ****ing NIGGER!"
POPmetal
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

The word fag is not a nasty slur such as the n word.

Pretty much everyone would disagree.? Only people like you who use the word excessively would disagree.? Obviously you're not going to admit that you use nasty slurs.? But everybody else knows what the word means and knows that it means to gay people what the "N" word means to black people.

History may not matter to you, but it matters to most people.

Umm no, actually it doesn't!? Take a poll of any objective group of citizens and they will all tell you that "fags" is a nasty slur in the tradition of the "N" word!? NOBODY is going to start debating "history" when this subject comes up!

Yeah, I'm sure that if you walk by a group of gay people and yell "HEY FAGS!", I bet they're going to start telling themselves, "oh well, according to him, history doesn't say it's a nasty slur, so let's go along our merry way!"? ?Roll Eyes

Maybe "fags" hasn't been used as long as the "N" word, but if that is the extent of your argument, then you've got no argument.? That's like saying "spic" and "kike" aren't prejudicially offensive to Hispanics and Jews simply because they aren't commonly used like "nigger" is/was.

Can we at least agree that it's absolutely nothing like the n word?

No, we can't!

You just denied slavery and the pain and suffering African Americans underwent to achieve equal rights! And you wanna make me out to be insensitive and prejudicial. Do you realize how offensive it is to of blacks when people like you say history does not matter and start equating someone not being nice to fairies with the the floggings, rapes, and murders black people went through?!? What you just did is a million times more hateful than anything I've said about queers. But you're whining because I'm insensitive Shocked Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
POPmetal
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2005, 03:57:29 PM »

I meant people who criticize hair metal, not the fools who get paid by big record companies to hype their mediocre bands in trashy magazines, when I said critic.? rant

OK, I hear you now. But the later is often a cause for the existence of the first. People loved "hair" metal until MTV decided to change formats and put the paid critics on a pedestal. From then on it was: metal bad, feminized ball-less "rock" good.

And your last post, that was right on the money? ?beer
POPmetal
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2005, 04:04:03 PM »

Back on topic...

I love hair metal and I like tracking down bands that I still haven't heard yet even though their albums came out in the 80's or early 90's.

Joker
Blue Tears
Emergency
Marchello
Saints & Sinners
Blonz
BB Steal

I recently discovered a band called Sic Vikki. There's a site called melodic rock. It has a paid section with downloads, and they had posted their first album Kiss Me In French there. It's from 1993 and more hard rock than metal, but still in the same style and image and it's pretty good.
POPmetal
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2005, 11:19:10 PM »

You're very ignorant. It might be "derogatory" in some peoples' minds to call short people short, but it's their own fault if they're weak minded and offended by the truth. The reality is, fag does accurately describe homosexuals because that's how God sees things. You might not like it, but that's because your view of reality is wrong. You need to evaluate your worldview and correct it.

I knew some sick ass jesus freak couldn't resist joining in.? That stupid jesus christ crap is hackneyed and lame, so shut the fuck up with that stupid "God sees things that way" shit.? because that's what the fuck it is: SHIT.

God damn it, you almost sounded like a parody of christians there.? ?Your post was so god damn comical, I was almost ready to commend you on a satirical post towards christian lunacy until you started whining about "hijacking the thread" and I realized you were actually serious.

And if you think the word "short" bears ANY parallel to the word "fags", you're not ignorant, you're just stupid.? Of course, if you believe any of that homophobic God crap (which you obviously do), I guess being stupid is a given.

You just denied slavery and the pain and suffering African Americans underwent to achieve equal rights! And you wanna make me out to be insensitive and prejudicial. Do you realize how offensive it is to of blacks when people like you say history does not matter and start equating someone not being nice to fairies with the the floggings, rapes, and murders black people went through?!? What you just did is a million times more hateful than anything I've said about queers. But you're whining because I'm insensitive Shocked Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

BITCH BITCH BITCH WHINE WHINE WHINE YADA YADA YADA.? Your post (like all of your posts) was nothing but nonsensical horseshit.? Oops, am I being politically correct by saying that?

I think now we all know who is "comical"? yes Your outbursts are hilarious ok
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2005, 11:41:17 PM »

You're definitely "not clear" -- to yourself.? And forget any implications, I AM STATING OUT LOUD that it is on a parallel with the "N" word.

"Fags" isn't merely an unflattering word.? "Stupid" is an unflattering word, because it can apply to anyone.? "Asshole" is an unflattering word, because it too can apply to anyone.? "Fags" and "Nigger" are not words that are applied to just anyone.

It is entirely irrelevant how long either "Fags" or "Nigger" has been used, because the principle remains the same.? And everybody knows that.? You're just inventing petty arguments to justify the usage of "Fags" because you use the word so gratuitously.

You're very ignorant. It might be "derogatory" in some peoples' minds to call short people short, but it's their own fault if they're weak minded and offended by the truth. The reality is, fag does accurately describe homosexuals because that's how God sees things. You might not like it, but that's because your view of reality is wrong. You need to evaluate your worldview and correct it. Also, take it to pms and don't hijack a thread because you're offended by someone's words.

How do you know what God sees? You should never speak for him.

Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2005, 01:44:51 AM »

What about Warrant?? What would you classify them as??

Just for my own curiosity

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2005, 02:43:21 AM »

Damn, 100 bucks...that's nuts.  The most expensive me and my friend came across is Tora Tora's debut album, Surprise Attack.  Tora Tora's pretty obscure, not as obscure as Joker, but they only have two albums and they're both out of print.  He wound up paying 20-something bucks for their first album.  I was lucky enough to find their second album used for a few bucks at a CD store.  I highly recomend both albums to any fans of hair metal...the second being titled Wild America.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
POPmetal
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2005, 01:04:48 AM »

Back on topic...

Joker
Blue Tears
Emergency
Marchello
Saints & Sinners
Blonz
BB Steal

I recently discovered a band called Sic Vikki. There's a site called melodic rock. It has a paid section with downloads, and they had posted their first album Kiss Me In French there. It's from 1993 and more hard rock than metal, but still in the same style and image and it's pretty good.

Agreed with your Sic Vikki comments. These guys were cowritten and produced by Steve Plunkett of Autograph fame!!
Melodic rock has a pretty cool download section for $35 per year.
If you are a Matt Sorum fan check out the Jeff Paris Group(Hair Metalish). Matt looks sooo cute with his hair all teased and big!! rofl

Haha? rofl I hadn't even registered that was Matt Sorum until you mentioned it. He's never looked as good ever since hihi That's a good album too, I especially like the last track Illusions.

Another great rare hair metal album is Vain's No Respect. I had to download it because it was out of print, but I think it's supposed to have been re-released recently, at least in Britain. And they have a new album out this year: On The Line. I haven't got it yet, but the sample on their web site is pretty darn good
http://www.perrisrecords.com/mp3/On-the-Line.mp3
http://www.davyvain.com/
They have a little more punk in them so it would probably appeal more to fans of Appetite or Too Fast For Love era Motley.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 01:06:37 AM by POPmetal » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2007, 09:36:36 PM »

Dee Snider is one ugly motherfucker.

rofl rofl rofl

He certainly is, but how can you not like some of his classic tunes like "YOU"RE AN SMF!!!!!" (Stupid Mother Fucker) and Stay AWWWAAAAYYYY from Captain Howwdaaayyy!!! and The Price

That album kicked ass!!!

I grew up with this fantastic genre of music.

Twisted Sister, Warrant, Poison, Skid Row, GnR, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Tesla, fire house, Dokken, Scorpions, Great White, Faster Pussycat, etc. etc.

Glam rock, hair metal, whatever, it's all big poofy hair and screeching guitars? ok

My favorite on this site is people that say "GnR isn't metal, it's CLASSIC ROCK!!!"

Has anyone heard that song by TUFF called "American Hair Bands", where they do, Metallica's "Sad but true" but like kid rock did "American Bad Ass"? They put as much 80's rock names and riffs in it as possible. It's classic.

Here are the lyrics. (Remember its in the tune of Kid Rock's American bad ass)

Yeah, well i've been up and been down, town to town with several bands,
then tortured for ten long years by critics, agents and the a&r man, and some bandwagon fans.
it's time to stand up, fight back, be proud and once again be free,
so if you want a piece of me, come and get it!
Kurt cobain is gone but i'm back
wearing leather pants and a backwards hat
guitars slung low
where the down boys go
the night trains back so on with the show
i'm metal health
and dressed to thrill
i'm an smf with the looks that kill
i rocked and rolled, n' long hair is back
and i grew up, singing strutter, and back, in black
i'm going back to eighty-nine
i went platinum zero times
you're in the jungle sweet child o'mine
i want another piece of that cherry pie
Chorus #1: (oooooohhhhhh)
they call 'em hairbands
leather jacket in black
throw your hands in the air
yeah we're bringing it back
n' say (shout, shout) at the devil again
and say (shout, shout) at the devil my friend
so say (shout, shout) never letting it end and say (shout, shout, shout, shout) yeah?(bad medicine)
I like old van halen and hanoi rocks
black n' blue and britny fox
guns n' roses, motley crue
when def leppard rocked and skid row ruled
yeah, ratt went round n' round
rocking out in boston, get loud in chi-town
vandenberg, priest, dok-ken, kix
throwing faster pussycat in the mix (p-p-p-p-p-pussycat)
give me l.a. guns & the dangerous toys
quiet riot, bang tango & bullet boys
love johnny crash grunge bands are trash
i like c.c. deville, mick mars, and slash
Chorus: #2
Breakdown:
yeah, i saw your grunge band, staring at your shoes on stage, wearing that dirty flannel shirt,
when you gonna learn dirtball, you just can't f**k with twisted sister.
"what are you going to do with your life"?
I'm an american hairband
watch me rock
you can raise your hands
or you can suck my c**k
heavy metal god
i'm a pin-up boy
i'm the singer from tuff not pretty boy floyd
super loud and super wild
sebastian bach is youth gone wild
diamond dave and nikki sixx
i wanna see tommy lee back spinning those sticks
up all night, gonna sleep all day
i love girls; girls, girls and i love l.a.
i won't waste my breath, but here's a clue
give pearl jam & eddie a big f**k you
who cares about weezer and the screeming trees
when we got white lion
and of course the sleeze beez
if you wanna rock n' roll then read my lips
let's shout it out loud
for a band named kiss
Chorus: (oooooohhhhhh)
they call 'em hairbands
wearing leather and black
so throw your hands in the air
now we're bringing it back
n' say (shout, shout) at the devil again
and say (shout, shout) at the devil my friend
so say (shout, shout) never letting it end and say (shout, shout, shout, shout) yeah,
I'm a hairband wanted dead or alive
singing (shout, shout, shout, shout)
i wanna rock n' roll in the still of the night
say (shout, shout, shout, shout)
gonna take you down to the paradise city
and (shout, shout, shout, shout)
everybody let's sing talk dirty to me
Sorry to bring back such an OLD thread, but I just heard this song for the first time today.  I was quite entertained by it.  At first I thought it was "American Bad Ass" so I was gonna change it, no offense to Kid Rock.  Then I realized I had on Hair Nation 23 Sirius Radio and they wouldn't play Kid Rock.  So I gave it a whirl and I was pleasantly surprised.  I found this fanmade video for the song on youtube.  Pretty sweet job, they catch all the GNR references except for "Nightrain".  Nobody's perfect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ZNO24Ye4

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: