Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Succesful Bands That Time Forgot
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Succesful Bands That Time Forgot  (Read 13985 times)
Veon
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: December 23, 2005, 10:58:14 AM »

This idea for a thread popped into my head while driving in my car yesterday.  Can you guys think of any bands that were HUGE in their own era, but were gradually forgotten as time moved on?  I thought of 2 off the top of my head

1)  I think the replacements are probably one of the most forgotten about bands in the last 30 years.  For how groundbreaking and influential they were to so many bands, virtually no one recognizes them as a collective band or as individuals.  In their early years they wrote balls to the wall punk, that could be angry and simple, or retrospective and sophisticated.  By the end of their career they had grown into a tight-nit band, that were essentially the voice for the generation of the 1980's.  You can hear how they influenced (for better or worse) bands like Soul Asylum, the Goo Goo Dolls, as well as virtually the intire grunge movement

2)  The other one is the Cult.  Aside from hearing 'Fire Woman' (which I heard while driving in my car!) from time to time on the radio, this band has been virtually forgotten despite being one of the boggest, multi-platinum (non-hair) band of the 1980's. They weren't cheesey; Billy Duffy could write a killer riff and hold his own soloing, and Ian Astburry can falt out fucking sing.   

p.s.  I'm not being a 'homer' here (naming bands that have former and current members of GNR), but theses were the two biggest examples that popped in my head.  Besides, I don't think Matt reocrded more than one album with the Cult...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 12:29:51 PM »

Thin Lizzy?
Damn Yankees?

Fuck 'Em All.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 12:31:31 PM »

Thin Lizzy?
Damn Yankees?
I was going to say thin lizzy great call  ok

No man can be my equal
Jonathan
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 01:33:34 PM »

Aerosmith
Mot?rhead
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 02:24:09 PM »

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - After they somewhat disbanded in the 80s so Bruce could persue a solo career, their catalogue of just brilliant and introspective albums seemed to get more and more forgotten or overlooked.

Rush - They were around since the early 60s and kicked ass every second of it, but in the mid 80s when the went experimental with "Subdivisions" they lost a lot of recognition and admiration. Since they've returned to their roots of great song writing with brilliant riffs, download their last major single "One little Victory", that song kills!

Guns N' Roses - They were already on fire with AFD, but they were more than suited to be claimed a musical phenomenon after the release of UYI. Then during the last bit or so of the Skin & Bones tour and with TSI? and thereafter, they slowly lost their spotlight and notoriety that made them so superior to all the other bands of their era.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 03:31:56 PM »

Aerosmith
Mot?rhead
Do you even think before you post?  I guess that's why Aerosmith are selling out 98% of their shows in 2005.

I'll go with ELO. Such a great band that no one listens to anymore.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Jonathan
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 05:14:02 PM »

Yes, but it feels like the public have forgot them in some kind of strange way.

And do I think before I post? Yes, I tell my opinion about things, so stop say things like that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 07:21:57 PM by Jonathan » Logged
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 07:01:39 PM »

Aerosmith
Mot?rhead
Do you even think before you post?  I guess that's why Aerosmith are selling out 98% of their shows in 2005.

I'll go with ELO. Such a great band that no one listens to anymore.

i'll go with that mate, i dunno about no one listenin' to em' anymore, but ELO are cool as.!!

ELO

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
RichardNixon
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »

Don't see a case for Aerosmith or Bruce Springsteen. The Replacements have always been a left-of-center band, but plenty of people like them and they get tons of (deserved) praise. I'd go with T. Rex, Mountain, Skid Row, and Deep Purple. 
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 08:18:58 PM »

I'd have to go for bands like Warrant, Quiet Riot & Enuff Z'Nuff.  Like Skid Row they still release albums but to know about them you have to be a die hard fan or find out about them through a board like this...... Grin
RichardNixon
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 08:31:19 PM »

Those bands were killed off by Nirvana. It's amazing how an entire/genre/style was killed off overnight.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 08:50:50 PM »

bruce springsteen? aerosmith? Maybe you could say they don't get the credit they deserve in an ideal way, but theres no way you could say they've been forgotten in time.

whoever said t-rex and thin lizzy, good shout.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 01:58:01 AM »

Those bands were killed off by Nirvana. It's amazing how an entire/genre/style was killed off overnight.
The whole crapping grunge movement killed off that scene.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »

Cinderella

i dunno if they were really succesful but it seems they sure were forgotten.

its a shame because i really like them and nobody knows them.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »

I was going to say Thin Lizzy too.

Triumph
Supertramp

Why don't you just....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 01:37:36 PM »

Cinderella

i dunno if they were really succesful but it seems they sure were forgotten.

its a shame because i really like them and nobody knows them.
I know them Wink and really like 'em but most bands fromt that era have been forgotten cos it's not considered cool anymore and is not seen as classic but just cheesy....shame
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 02:11:36 PM »

I want to say Queen but I think now Brian may is making a great effort to put Queen name back in bussines

No man can be my equal
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 02:17:27 PM »

The Darkness  hihi

Skid Row, defo forgotten by mainstream rockers. Im lucky my dad listened to them and got the albums when they were out thats how i heard them.

html sucks
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 02:24:43 PM »

Well Beach Boys and Mammas and the Pappas.

I heard these two were really big bands, in the past, specially Beach Boys wich fame was even compared to Beatles' back in the days, but obviously they didnt pass the test of time and arent able to influence young generations world wide as good as its comparison does --Beatles--.
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 02:46:07 PM »

I do agree with beach boys a lot fo people only relationet them with surfing USA and Kokomo, but their carrer is way extense  ok

No man can be my equal
RichardNixon
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »

Skid Row were really a great band. STTG is such an amazing album, and Subhuman Race also rocked hard and was a fine piece of music, that really expanded their sound and streched their creative muscle. Thinkskin sucks though.

Also, add LA Guns to the list.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »

mm Id have to add WINGS.  A really succesfull band, but not a lot of people know them world wide nowadays.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 11:41:20 PM »

I'll add just one more to this thread, Powerman 5000.

Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 01:40:38 AM »

I heard Korn and Limp Bizkit, recently released albums, and maybe they were important in the U.S. but they are certainly not an important band anymore around the world their fame has fallen down.

And also even when they arent bands, are these boy bands, NSYNC and Backstreet boys, remember how huge they were some years ago, and since the Superbowl Incident with Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake hasnt done something remarkable.
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 01:51:30 AM »

You might laugh...but Hall and Oates...they have what like 29 top 40 hits and still get zero respect!

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
RichardNixon
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2005, 09:42:17 AM »

mm Id have to add WINGS.? A really succesfull band, but not a lot of people know them world wide nowadays.

Well, Mac had a really tought act to follow after being in that other band before the Beatles. A lot of the Wings was crap, like "Back to the Egg" and "the wild life," still, they made some great albums, like "Band on the Run," "Venus and Mars" and a few others.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2005, 01:19:12 PM »

Inxs, watching there wembley dVD they seemed pretty big back in the day, now they have only just been brought up by there TV show but still aint well known.

html sucks
gnrsmaggie
Opening Act

Hello

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005, 04:57:41 PM »

I'm gonna go with Poison. I still listen to them though.? ok
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 05:08:21 PM »

Blue Oyster Cult
Foghat

Why don't you just....
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »

Blue Oyster Cult
Foghat

Indeed

I'll add Boston (though that was their fault...)

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 08:53:14 PM »

I want to say Queen but I think now Brian may is making a great effort to put Queen name back in bussines

How are Queen forgotten?, They are still topping all those lists you get come years end, like the best 2000 songs etc....and a lot of "young people" are really into Queen these days. They may be the band that time forgot in (South)America but they sure as hell have't been forgotten over here in Europe and in Asia. They're still as popular as they were 20 years back. ok beer
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2005, 10:13:54 PM »

Joan Jett
Nazareth
Whitesnake
Culture Club
Sade
Elastica

Kaybee
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2005, 10:44:23 PM »

How are Queen forgotten?, They are still topping all those lists you get come years end, like the best 2000 songs etc....and a lot of "young people" are really into Queen these days. They may be the band that time forgot in (South)America but they sure as hell have't been forgotten over here in Europe and in Asia. They're still as popular as they were 20 years back. ok beer

I agree, I don't think Queen has been forgotten. They're one of my favourite bands even though they were before my time, and I know so many people my age who love them.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2005, 11:28:43 PM »

Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult
T. Rex
CCR
Deep Purple
Ten Years After
RichardNixon
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2005, 11:41:48 PM »

CCR? No way.
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2005, 01:39:46 AM »

The Crue I rekon!!.... Think about it.
Deep Purple
Smokie
Black Sabbath (To an Extent.  Not including just Ozzy)

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2005, 11:44:51 AM »

I agree, I don't think Queen has been forgotten. They're one of my favourite bands even though they were before my time, and I know so many people my age who love them.

Yeah I know thats why I said that Brian did a pretty well job keeping the Queen name alive  Grin

No man can be my equal
RichardNixon
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »

MY BLOODY VALENTINE: A great, great band.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »

well you said he's doing a great job bringing the Queen name back Tongue but imo Queen has never been gone, what brian and roger are doing is milking the Queen for all it's worth? no oh well that's just my opnion anyway.

here's a freddie quote that kinda proves my point:

"If anyone left Queen, anyone of the four, that would be the end of Queen. We are four equal, interwoven parts. And the others just couldn't function the same without each quarter."
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2005, 05:16:39 PM »

well you said he's doing a great job bringing the Queen name back Tongue but imo Queen has never been gone, what brian and roger are doing is milking the Queen for all it's worth  no oh well that's just my opnion anyway.

here's a freddie quote that kinda proves my point:

"If anyone left Queen, anyone of the four, that would be the end of Queen. We are four equal, interwoven parts. And the others just couldn't function the same without each quarter."

You are defenitely right with the quote, but I dont think that queen between 1998 and 2004 did something to preserve the name (at least the GH3 wasn't that great comparing with first 2) so the tour will mean to bring back the Queen name, is also my opinion  Wink

No man can be my equal
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2005, 06:55:13 PM »

I'm gonna add a british band called James. No one has ever talked about this band here.

They achived some level of success in late 80's / early 90's. Some of their songs are amongst the very best of british pop music. I highly recommend a few tracks; Laid, Sit down and She's a Star. If you can get their Best of, buy/steal/download it. It's a great compilation.

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2005, 07:03:40 PM »

I'm gonna add a british band called James. No one has ever talked about this band here.

They achived some level of success in late 80's / early 90's. Some of their songs are amongst the very best of british pop music. I highly recommend a few tracks; Laid, Sit down and She's a Star. If you can get their Best of, buy/steal/download it. It's a great compilation.
Awesome band dude, glad you like them, i was a big fan when i was a kid, last year at university my mate did me a compelation of their stuff and it rocks!  Great acoustic band as well, i'd love to get an all acoustic version of their greatest hits!
To add to your great track recommendations, also check out Destiny Calling, awesome stuff! First Pixies/Frank Black, now James, you have great taste sir ok
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 07:21:26 PM »

Yes, I have to say I'm quite impressed with your taste as well. I thought you were more of a metal fan a while back, but you've proven me wrong with the Pixies and now James!

Still interested in those Frank Black tunes we talked about a month or so ago?
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »

Yes, I have to say I'm quite impressed with your taste as well. I thought you were more of a metal fan a while back
Well i'm mainly cheesy hair metal but i do have other tastes, stoner rock, bit of 60s and bands who just happen to be damn good.  James are great because they had the ability to write good catchy songs, with quality lyrics without having to lower themselves to sounding like much of the commercial bollocks and managing to also avoid sounding morbid and annoying like most indie bands....

Still interested in those Frank Black tunes we talked about a month or so ago?
Indeed i am.  I've had my cheesy downloads for the month (Warrant, Quiet Riot etc....) so i feel like something different Grin.....
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2005, 10:20:29 AM »

I totally like that band specially say something  ok

No man can be my equal
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2005, 06:46:29 AM »

whoever said INXS was definitly spot on. until the show i hadn't even heard of em.

The Beach Boys for sure.

GN'R even to some extent is forgotten.

gnrevolution.com
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »

Kiss for sure.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RichardNixon
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »

KISS? No freakin' way.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »

Silverchair

Haven't heard anything from them in a long time.
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2005, 06:32:54 PM »

KISS? No freakin' way.

Over here they slipped off the radar - though its dubious that they were ever really there.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2005, 06:39:16 PM »

Cool and the Gang

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2005, 07:07:52 PM »

The Black Crowes. An amazing band, with three amazing first records. In the late 90's the kinda faded away. Some blame Kate Hudson for the break up. Chris Robinson solo stuff was shit (So I heard).

Now are we talking about successful bands or good successful bands?

Anybody remember The Spin Doctors? they achieved massive success with that hit "if you" in the early nineties. I happened to live in America at the time, and all I'd hear on the radio was that song.

RichardNixon
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2005, 07:59:40 PM »

I liked the Spin Doctors, but they get kind of irritating.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »

I totally forgot about Spin Doctors too - I can't even think of one of their songs right now.  Undecided

Why don't you just....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2005, 08:33:17 PM »

Anybody remember The Spin Doctors? they achieved massive success with that hit "if you" in the early nineties. I happened to live in America at the time, and all I'd hear on the radio was that song.
It was called Two Princes wasn't it?
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2005, 08:37:37 PM »

Yes!!  I think the other that I was thinking of was something like "little Miss can't be wrong" or something like that.

Why don't you just....
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:52 PM »

Yes!!? I think the other that I was thinking of was something like "little Miss can't be wrong" or something like that.
Yeah....

Got this from....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_Doctors

The Spin Doctors is a jam band from New York City, best known for its 1992 hits, "Two Princes" and "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong". Two Princes has had some continuous popularity since its release, having a brief appearance years later on an episode of Futurama. The album, Pocket Full of Kryptonite, sold poorly until MTV and radio began playing the songs. The album eventually went gold, and then received another boost in sales after the band's appearance on SNL(Saturday Night Live) in October of 1992, ultimately selling five million copies in the in the United States.

The original members are Chris Barron (lead vocals), Eric Schenkman (guitar and vocals), Aaron Comess(drums) and Mark White (bass).

Turn It Upside Down (1994) was relatively unsuccessful, though the second single, "You Let Your Heart Go Too Fast", sold well. The follow-up, You've Got to Believe in Something (1996), sold poorly and the band lost its record contract, eventually signing to Uptown/Universal and released Here Comes the Bride in 1999.The band is currently on tour, promoting its new album.

Finally in 2001, the original members of Spin Doctors reunited and have recently recorded a new album, entitled Nice Talking to Me that was released on September 13th 2005.

May have to check out that new album, seems it wasn't released with much publicity, i thought this band were one hit wonders who dissappeared years ago....(reading that they kinda did...still...they're back now)
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 11:38:48 PM »

The Cars
The Buzzcocks
The Police
Eddie Money
The Outfield
P.M. Dawn
Soul Asylum
The Pretenders
Stillwater

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2005, 01:43:19 AM »

Yeah my mistake, Two Princes. Doesn't the chorus goes something like that "if you.."?

5 million copies?Huh  Shocked
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:23 AM »

new kids on the block

Shocked

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2005, 12:55:41 PM »

New kids were great they wanted to become the next Beatles, even they copied a part of a beatles song exactly the same in the song Tonight.
Jonathan
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2005, 12:56:54 PM »

The Who
Stone Temple Pilots
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:50:44 PM by Jonathan » Logged
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2005, 01:01:44 PM »

The Who are still succesful.
Jonathan
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »

The Who are still succesful.

Well, not as much as they used to be + a lot of the bands that people mention in this thread are still succesful but people have forgot them in a big way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:06:44 PM by Jonathan » Logged
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2005, 01:52:48 PM »

New kids were great they wanted to become the next Beatles, even they copied a part of a beatles song exactly the same in the song Tonight.
Is that true?, man I really hated NKOTB

No man can be my equal
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2005, 02:22:41 PM »

hehe Yes its true man, just listen to NKOTB's tonight, some guitars, trompetas and stuff  are just the style Beatles would have played.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »

The New York Dolls. Virtually no one knows about this band, though they inspried basically every band who came after them, Guns, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Poison, EVERYONE owes a debt to the Dolls. Granted, the public never got them, but critics loved them.

The Dolls have been forgotten and it sucks.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Queen of Everything
Slash is Orgasmic (This title has been bumped by the poster)
Legend

Slash Can Ride....... Me!

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2005, 08:46:44 PM »

The New York Dolls. Virtually no one knows about this band, though they inspried basically every band who came after them, Guns, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Poison, EVERYONE owes a debt to the Dolls. Granted, the public never got them, but critics loved them.

The Dolls have been forgotten and it sucks.

HELL YES!!!!  I was talking to a friend who rekons he is the Punk lover of the universe.  and I go "Oh I love the New York Dolls" and he said "Who?"  hahaha  hihi       

Its actually quite sad  Undecided

Formerly "Drama_qween"... but still as cool. Smiley
www.myspace.com/jessheartsmusic
Rasputin
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2005, 01:24:27 AM »

? ? ? ?And also even when they arent bands, are these boy bands, NSYNC and Backstreet boys, remember how huge they were some years ago, and since the Superbowl Incident with Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake hasnt done something remarkable.
i think you got it wrong, everyone is trying to forget,? ?we all remember we just try our very hardest not to acknowledge the fact they were ever liked? ? Tongue

and NKOTB, thank the Lord their gone/forgotten? ?Lips Sealed

(no offence to those who may still like em)

id hafta say Styx, absolutly cant stand alot of their work..? their ballads sucked major balls...? Mr. Roboto was about the most horrid thing id ever heard..? but they had some good old songs....? ? point being, i havent heard nuthin on em fer years

Jim Croce? he was alright, y'know?? ?aint heard word bout 'im in ages

Journey? seem underrated for how big they were..? good band, them

and i dont wanna say U2's been forgotten so much as its been forgotted wht they've done, with their new CD an all, seems the younger crowd think their a new band that just sucks and noone bothers to listen to their old stuff..

however, ya gotta look at alot of thses bands havent nesisarily been "forgotten"
its just the young crowd listens to new artists and dont bother to look back..? they like MCR and Korn and whatever, why search 20 years back for old music??? ?alot of em are just moronic bout it tho.. "since its 20 years old its gotta suck" ..? pathetic..

ok...im done? Lips Sealed? ?Smiley
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2005, 02:22:53 AM »

That was long man. But true with the boy bands.
IronMaiden415
Headliner

getting bizzy with izzy

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2005, 02:26:45 PM »

This idea for a thread popped into my head while driving in my car yesterday.? Can you guys think of any bands that were HUGE in their own era, but were gradually forgotten as time moved on?? I thought of 2 off the top of my head

1)? I think the replacements are probably one of the most forgotten about bands in the last 30 years.? For how groundbreaking and influential they were to so many bands, virtually no one recognizes them as a collective band or as individuals.? In their early years they wrote balls to the wall punk, that could be angry and simple, or retrospective and sophisticated.? By the end of their career they had grown into a tight-nit band, that were essentially the voice for the generation of the 1980's.? You can hear how they influenced (for better or worse) bands like Soul Asylum, the Goo Goo Dolls, as well as virtually the intire grunge movement

2)? The other one is the Cult.? Aside from hearing 'Fire Woman' (which I heard while driving in my car!) from time to time on the radio, this band has been virtually forgotten despite being one of the boggest, multi-platinum (non-hair) band of the 1980's. They weren't cheesey; Billy Duffy could write a killer riff and hold his own soloing, and Ian Astburry can falt out fucking sing.? ?

p.s.? I'm not being a 'homer' here (naming bands that have former and current members of GNR), but theses were the two biggest examples that popped in my head.? Besides, I don't think Matt reocrded more than one album with the Cult...
i totally agree with you with The Cult. they were one of the greatest bands to come out of the 80's. they dont get nearly enough credit that they deserve.

Dec 17 - Tran Siberian Orchestra - fuckin amazing!
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2005, 02:43:36 AM »

Jim Croce? he was alright, y'know?? ?aint heard word bout 'im in ages

Jim Croce was great. He had/has a lot of memorable songs. Unfortunatley, he died in the '70s. I believe it was a plane accident.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2005, 04:58:39 AM »

Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch

Milly Vanilly

Bros

rofl

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »