Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227841 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Gutter Twins (Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Gutter Twins (Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan)  (Read 28111 times)
Chief
Legend

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »

excellent, thank you for the news!

Sub Pop veterans Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan will release a brand new eight-song Gutter Twins EP titled Adorata exclusively through iTunes on September 2nd. Recorded mostly during the original sessions for their debut album Saturnalia, Adorata finds The Gutter Twins drawing material from a wide range of artists and capturing the energy and excitement of their live performances. The eight track EP includes: ?Belles,? (Vetiver), ? Down The Line? (Jose Gonzales), ?Deep Hit Of Morning Sun,? (Primal Scream), ?Flow Like A River,? (Eleven), ?St. James Infirmary,? (Traditional) ?Duchess,? (Scott Walker), and two previously unreleased original Gutter Twins songs ?Spanish Doors,? and ?We Have Met Before.?

A portion of the proceeds from the release of Adorata will go to the Natasha Shneider Memorial Fund. Shneider, a long-time friend of the band, was the lead singer for Eleven and a member of Queens of the Stone Age.

ok

/jarmo

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »

Pretty much the same here:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/144936-gutter-twins-cover-jose-gonzalez-scott-walker-on-ep

For their first substantial release after Saturnalia, the Gutter Twins have kept their vaguely Roman theme intact. On September 2, Sub Pop will release an iTunes-exclusive Gutter Twins EP called Adorata.

Adorata features two previously unreleased originals ("Spanish Doors" and "We Have Met Before") alongside covers of "Down the Line" (Jos? Gonz?lez), "Deep Hit of Morning Sun" (Primal Scream), "Duchess" (Scott Walker), "Belles" (Vetiver), "Flow Like a River" (Eleven), and "St. James Infirmary" (traditional).

A portion of Adorata's proceeds will go to the Natasha Shneider Memorial Fund. Shneider-- a friend of the Twins and the late lead singer of Eleven-- recently received the benefit concert treatment from Queens of the Stone Age and friends.

Finally, the dirty duo has added a few dates to the end of its tour itinerary, two of which (the ones in Philly and Brooklyn) look to be make-up dates for shows the band canceled in July.

The Gutter Twins:

08-27 Sheffield, England - Leadmill ^
08-29 Stradbally, Ireland - Electric Picnic
08-30 Liverpool, England - Academy 2 ^
08-31 Argyll, Scotland - Hydro Connect Festival
09-03 Tel Aviv, Israel - Barby Club
09-04 Tel Aviv, Israel - Barby Club
09-06 Vitoria, Spain - Azkena Rock Festival
09-08 Lisbon, Portugal - Santiago Alquimista
10-24 New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Experience
11-05 Philadelphia, PA - Theater of Living Arts
11-06 Brooklyn, NY - Warsaw
11-07 Washington, DC - Black Cat
11-09 Boston, MA - Paradise

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »

http://www.spinner.com/2008/08/29/greg-dulli-comes-full-circle-with-gutter-twins-return-to-sub-po/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
alex420gnr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »

Thanx Jarmo

I know you are a huge Lanegan fan like me and you have great taste in music

glad to read there might be another Soulsavers cd to continue the legacy that is the Lanegan Saga
Soulsavers has been my favorite recent work by Mark

also curious as to whether that Dulli acoustic show will feature Mark

Will we ever see a Lanegan live disc released officially - it is long oversue

anyway thanx for the link Jarmo and thanx for regulating this message board - this is the only sight I go to to keep up with GNR

thanx

Rock on

Alex
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »

It's out now.  Cheesy

Nice way to start September.

01.    "Belles"     Originally released by Vetiver in 2004 on the "Vetiver" album
02.    "Down The Line"  Originally released by Jos? Gonz?lez in 2007 on the "In Our Nature" album
03.    "Deep Hit"  Originally released by Primal Scream in 2002 on the "Evil Heat" album
04.    "Flow Like A River"     Originally released by Eleven in 2003 on the "Howling Book" album
05.    "St. James"     Traditional    Previously released by Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan in 2005 on the "Ramblin' Man" EP
06.    "Duchess"     Originally released by Scott Walker in 1969 on the "Scott 4" album
07.    "Spanish Doors"        Previously unreleased original The Gutter Twins song
08.    "We Have Met Before"  Previously unreleased original The Gutter Twins song

/jarmo
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:32:22 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »

...and it's fantastic.  I just can't believe the creative output of Dulli on his own, let alone with Lanegan.  Amazing stuff. 
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2008, 06:58:08 AM »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/145144-the-gutter-twins-adorata-ep

Over the course of his career, whether in the Afghan Whigs or Twilight Singers, Greg Dulli has covered acts as diverse as the Supremes, TLC, Fleetwood Mac, Bj?rk, and John Coltrane with often striking results. At the very least, such earnest, even revelatory stunts revealed a craftsman's grasp of context, the notion that even the tried and true can be taken in a new direction by a different voice. Indeed, Dulli's honed his personality as the premier alpha letch to such perfection that he's able to twist whatever material he's singing to suit his needs. Were his schedule lax enough to allow such an indulgence, he'd make one hell of a wedding singer.

Given Dulli's track record, it's no shock that the Gutter Twins would get around to recording some covers of their own. At the least, Dulli and partner/complement Mark Lanegan have just a single album's worth of material to their collective name, so an eight-song EP of mostly cover tracks (plus a couple of previously unreleased originals) injects some new blood into a project. Another impetus for Adorata was the passing of Eleven/Queens of the Stone Age singer/organist Natasha Shneider, who died of cancer earlier this year. Portions of the EP's proceeds will go to her memorial fund.

Frankly, getting Shneider's name out there, not to mention covering Eleven's "Flow Like a River", could make more of an impact than whatever money is raised by the internet-only sales of this solid EP. "Flow Like a River", from Eleven's 2003 disc Howling Book, is a perfect fit for the Gutter Twins, who don't reinvent the song so much as give it a little kick. The same could be said of some of the other cover choices on Adorata-- Vetiver's "Belles", for example, is pushed slightly out of psych-folk mode, but the version here sticks pretty close to the spirit of the original. 

Swedish songwriter Jos? Gonz?les, however, gets the full treatment with his "Down the Line", which is given a set of cojones courtesy tough drums and some pounding piano, transforming this track into a veritable anthem. Elsewhere Primal Scream's "Deep Hit of Morning Sun" is given a funky facelift that streamlines the hallucinogenic cyber-punk "Venus in Furs"-isms of the original to suit Dulli and Lanegan's collective M.O. 

The traditional "St. James Infirmary", which Lanegan recently recorded with Isobel Campbell, is reprised here, with Dulli as duet partner and Lanegan's baritone once again perfect for the mournful blues of this death ballad. He's great on Scott Walker's "Duchess", too, another track that the Gutter Twins leave largely alone, wisely recognizing it as a song you don't mess around with. While no one would ever accuse the enigmatic Walker of excessive sunniness, there's an airiness and openness to this reading at refreshing odds with the Twins' more typical claustrophobic sound.

Which brings us to the band's new tracks, which should surprise no one by reverting back to the expected darkness and intensity. It's called playing to your strengths, which the slow-burn "Spanish Doors" and the particularly Whigs-y "We Have Met Before" (both led by Lanegan) do well. Or well enough, since flipped on their head those same strengths could be seen as limiting weaknesses. Certainly no one expects smiley face music from these guys, but it'd be nice to know such a side exists in more than just fleeting glimpses. As the pair gets more and more comfortable with the idea of being a band rather than a one-off, maybe we'll start to get more of the risks this EP only hints at. Until then, Adorata simply keeps the fire stoked and the scent of brimstone swirling as the group's smoke-obscured future comes into focus.

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/theguttertwins

- Joshua Klein, September 4, 2008
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2008/09/gutter-twins-adorata/

I discovered The Gutter Twins? debut LP Saturnalia a month or two too late to give it a formal jerking off here, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a relatively substantial eight song EP hit shelves out of nowhere on Tuesday. Saturnalia is one of the best, most overlooked albums of the year so far, and this new one, Adorata, is close behind.

For those of you who don?t know, The Gutter Twins is a super-duo of sorts featuring Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens Of The Stone Age, awesomeness) and Greg Dulli (of The Twilight Singers, and the Afghan Whigs, who were supposedly really great).

The first six songs on Adorata are covers, but I didn?t realize that until I sat down to write this review. I have been listening to this album for a few days now, and the only song I recognized was St. James Infirmary. Which has of course been performed by more people than The Birthday Song.

The disc starts off slow with the pretty, droning, downtempo track Belles, written by a band I?ve never heard of before called Vetiver. It?s a track I really don?t need at this point in time; if I need help going to sleep, I can just as easily start a conversation about the presidential election.

So I usually skip right to the meat of the disc, tracks two through four; Down The Line (originally by Jose Gonz?lez), Deep Hit (originally by Primal Scream), and the swaggering, vaguely bluesy Flow Like A River, written by Eleven; yet another nod to the contributions of the late Natasha Shneider, who we paid respects to a couple weeks ago.

All three are very single and / or mixtape worthy, richly textured with dynamic energy. Here?s Down The Line:

To get an idea of how The Gutter Twins handled their cover of St. James Infirmary, imagine Pink Floyd doing it. It?s another downtempo track of course, but what it lacks in danceability, it makes up for in soul.

Need more convincing that The Gutter Twins are worth a closer look? Here they are doing Idle Hands (from Saturnalia) on Jools Holland?s show:

I don?t hear any singles or classics on the last third of the disc, but they go down easy enough. It?s hard to get too much of Lanegan?s voice as I go about my business, and before long the proverbial needle makes it to The Stations, track one of Saturnalia, which as I said is incredible.

But Adorata is for sure the best album brought to market this week.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »

An Evening With Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan

Sub Pop veterans Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan will return to Europe beginning January 15th 2009 for sixteen special intimate performances. Dulli and Lanegan along with guitarist Dave Rosser will perform a 'Stripped Down In The Gutter' set. By sheer virtue of the intimacy of the show, it will be unique, as neither Dulli nor Lanegan have toured in this capacity before.

"Since our instrumentation for this tour is going to be radically different, the shows will include many songs neither of us have performed in quite sometime or ever," Dulli commented.

"An Evening With Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan" will kick off on January 15th in Glasgow at the Oran Mor and will run through February 2nd in Athens, Greece at Gagarin 205. Tickets will go on sale this Friday (November 14th) for all sixteen shows.

The Gutter Twins have had a massively successful year with the release of their debut album Saturnalia, and their follow up EP Adorata for Sub Pop Records. It's been a welcome homecoming to Sub Pop for both artists.

Mark Lanegan rose to fame as singer for the much-loved Seattle band Screaming Trees and Greg Dulli as the magnetic leader of the Afghan Whigs. Following the break up of both groups, Lanegan and Dulli went on to achieve significant notice on their own. Lanegan continued to release successful solo albums, as well as create vivid partnerships with the likes of Belle & Sebastian singer Isobel Campbell and Queens of the Stone Age. Dulli, meanwhile, innovatively fused indie, soul and electronic sounds in his post-Whigs ensemble the Twilight Singers, who released their first album, Twilight As Played By The Twilight Singers, in 2000; the most recent Twilight effort, 2006's Powder Burns. Saturnalia is sure to make many 'Best Of 2008′ lists.

Following the conclusion of this tour, Dulli will begin work on a new Twilight Singers album; while Mark Lanegan has an upcoming project with Soulsavers and will begin work on his first solo album in five years.

'AN EVENING WITH GREG DULLI & MARK LANEGAN'
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2009 TOUR DATES
1/15 UK Glasgow Oran Mor
1/16 IRELAND Dublin Academy
1/17 IRELAND Galway Roisin Dubh
1/19 UK London Union Chapel
1/20 BELGIUM Hasselt Muziekodroom
1/21 BELGIUM Brussels Ancienne Belgique
1/22 HOLLAND Haarlem Patronaat
1/24 GERMANY Berlin Babylon
1/25 AUSTRIA Vienna WuK
1/26 ITALY Milan La Salumeria Della Musica
1/27 ITALY Rome Auditorium Parco Della Musica
1/28 ITALY Florence Auditorium Flog
1/30 SPAIN Barcelona Apolo
1/31 SPAIN Bilbao Kafe Antzokia
2/2 SPAIN Madrid Joy Eslava
2/4 GREECE Athens Gagarin 205

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

http://www.summerskiss.com/

Latest News [News Archive, Setlist Archive]
DUFF LOVES THE GUTTER TWINS

In his column for Seattle Weekly, Duff McKagan included this bit in his Random Thoughts (and Experiences) of 2008:
- Go see the Gutter Twins: I was afforded this opportunity last September in Spain and it was an almost religious experience. It is not very often these days for me to be completely awed by a band or artist, so I am completely pleased when it finally does happen. The Gutter Twins are not something you can quite put your finger on musically, they are just equal parts ?kick-ass? all the way around!

thx rlv
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2009, 08:44:14 PM »

The band's song "Front Street" was used in the season five premiere of Rescue Me.

/jarmo

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2009, 11:27:54 PM »

Not GT related, but Bubblegum is an awesome record!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »

Did you get the Soulsavers one yet?

"It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land"

/jarmo

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »

Did you get the Soulsavers one yet?

"It's Not How Far You Fall, It's the Way You Land"

/jarmo

No, but with Darren's help, we'll get that chicken!

I just have Sweet Oblivion and Saturnalia.  I heard Bubblegum at a buddy's house.  There are so many albums to buy and digest.  What with work and all, I haven't even opened a bunch that I have recently purchased.

It's that voice that makes me come back every time.  No matter who he's jamming with, his voice makes those albums what they are.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »

Playlist

Duff McKagan

Mon, 18 May 2009

Duff shared his playlist with ARTISTdirect.com for this exclusive feature. Check out what he's spinning below.

Duff McKagan's Playlist:

1. The Gutter Twins ? Saturnalia

You want a record to be a journey from the beginning to end. The Gutter Twins made that record last year.

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/playlist-duff-mckagan/6005088

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: