Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227916 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Buying a car, need help
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a car, need help  (Read 6194 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 02:52:54 PM »

Yea I meant leaky gaskets etc. I had read about the head gasket leaks. Odd that seems to be a common problem (early failure) on many cars these days including Mercedes.

My dream would be a 4x4 Camry Hybrid.......put a ski rack on that and call it a day... Grin

My dream car would be a Hydrogen powered 4WD sedan...buy yours sounds like the next best thing...though the electric engine needs to get me to 65 mph. Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
SLCPUNK
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »

I read about a guy who took a Prius and added more batteries to it. He was able to get 250 miles to the gallon  Shocked. Toyota is talking with him right now.

They (not toyota, I can't remember who) also have created diesel-elctric hybrids (as far back as 99) that got 90 mpg! I do not understand why this was not pushed onto the market.......(well, I can imagine why I guess)

I am going to attempt to mod a diesel this winter to run on veggie oil only, assuming I have time.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:03:45 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »

my cousin just started running on his truck on veggie oil a few weeks ago. i forget the exact details but i know he said it was easy. and i think he said it costs about 50 cents a gallon and he gets 90 mpg. unreal. interesting shit.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 03:11:47 PM »

There is a mod kit you use for it, as series of filters and prefilters I think.

I was thinking truck, vw diesel, or MB diesel (older).

50 cents a gallon is cool with me!
Surfrider
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 06:14:18 PM »

I read about a guy who took a Prius and added more batteries to it. He was able to get 250 miles to the gallon? Shocked. Toyota is talking with him right now.

They (not toyota, I can't remember who) also have created diesel-elctric hybrids (as far back as 99) that got 90 mpg! I do not understand why this was not pushed onto the market.......(well, I can imagine why I guess)

I am going to attempt to mod a diesel this winter to run on veggie oil only, assuming I have time.

I read about that to, the extra batteries to the hybrid.  Amazing.  I actually saw on Toyota's website that they are coming out with Camry Hybrids.  Just ask for the 4x4 feature. Grin
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 07:53:16 PM »

There is a mod kit you use for it, as series of filters and prefilters I think.

I was thinking truck, vw diesel, or MB diesel (older).

50 cents a gallon is cool with me!

Less than that if you buy at BJ's and/or Costco.

Just be aware that if you use it as fuel, you're SUPPOSED to pay taxes on it.....and Uncle Sam can get pretty peeved if they find out you're not.

We have a couple of bio-diesel stations in CT...one nearby in New Haven.? From what I can gather, you don't even need to mod an existing diesel engine to run it on the bio-diesel...and it's about 1/2 to 2/3 the price per gallon.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sandman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 08:33:33 PM »

my cousin said it's not worth the effort. he said mixing the veggie oil (i don't know the exact details of how you make it) takes ALOT of time.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
deliverthecow
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »

Well i work in the automotive field so i will try and give you some insight onto which new vehicles i like at the moment. I assume you are wanting something that has good fuel economy. Of course with gasoline hovering at 3.00 plus a gallon nothing is great on gas at the moment thanks to good old W. At anyrate here are some recommendations.

Honda Civic. Great car and great resell.
Dodge Neon SXT, The earlier Neon's had there problems but the new models are great, you really cant beat the SXT model, loaded you can get one with rebates etc for around 12,500. I actually just bought one for my wife and we love it.
Chevy Cobalt: New model but we have had no problems with them, avoid the 2.4 liter motor.

SUV type

Totally avoid a Jeep Liberty, i work at a Chrysler dealership and we have more problems with the Jeep Liberty than any model.
PT Cruiser: good buy
Subaru Forrester : Is a decent vehicle, have loads of problems with electrical systems.

feel free to pm about any particular vehicle and i will do my best to help you out. ok
SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 10:10:30 PM »

Honda civics are amazing cars. Never owned one for personal use, but bought and sold many. You can rack some MAJOR miles up on those things.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: