Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Favorite track on Chinese Democracy?
Poll
Question: Favorite track on Chinese Democracy?
01 - Chinese Democracy - 18 (2.3%)
02 - Shackler's Revenge - 23 (3%)
03 - Better - 75 (9.6%)
04 - Street Of Dreams - 41 (5.3%)
05 - If The World - 15 (1.9%)
06 - There Was A Time - 117 (15%)
07 - Catcher In The Rye - 52 (6.7%)
08 - Scraped - 13 (1.7%)
09 - Riad N' The Bedouins - 8 (1%)
10 - Sorry - 101 (13%)
11 - I.R.S. - 23 (3%)
12 - Madagascar - 30 (3.9%)
13 - This I Love - 148 (19%)
14 - Prostitute - 75 (9.6%)
Can't say - 40 (5.1%)
Total Voters: 742

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite track on Chinese Democracy?  (Read 225949 times)
Sweet Spam Of Mine
Opening Act

« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »

I enjoy all of the songs,some more than others of course...but im kinda surprised theres not much love for the first track on the album?..i love it..but maybe its just me lol
Boksick
Opening Act

« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »

Prostitute
This song is just fucking perfect, from the intro to the closer.
Everything sounds top notch n also has a really modern feeling.
It has to be the perfect new gn'r song.
coolhandluke
Opening Act

« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »

This I love - its by far the best on it
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2010, 09:12:29 PM »

I just thought I'd point out how even after a few months, my favourite song on Chinese Democracy is still This I Love. It will be interesting to see how many more peoples favourites have stayed the same, even after a few months.

This I Love just rocks in every way, and Robins' solo is just out of this world. This song had alot to live up to with all the hype, and I really do feel as if it's exceded peoples expectations.

I'm also glad this song seems like it's a staple in GN'Rs current set, people need to hear this masterpiece.  ok
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »

1. Chinese Democracy: Great, in-your-face rocker, makes for a great start to the album. Mean vocals, great riff, icredible solos, and nice fretless work from Bumblefoot. Lyrics could be a bit better, but all round a great song. 9/10

2. Shackler's Revenge: Short and sweet. Guitar intro is a little off sounding, but the song itself can't be faulted. Very catchy, straight to the point, good lyrics. Not too keen on bumble's solo however.... 8/10

3. Better. All round great, first of the album's many classics. Catchy riff, great lyrics, brilliant solo by robin, and heavy as fuck. Why this wasn't promoted more or given moe attention is beyond me, it's a true modern GN'R classic 10/10

4. Street of Dreams: Very UYI- sounding song. Dizzy and Robin both shine here. Great lyrics from Axl, though the vocals are a little weak at times. One of the more 'instant' songs on the album, IMO. 8/10

5. If The World: One of the most experimental tracks GN'R have done here. Bucket's skill at different styles of guitar come into focus here. Very catchy song, the solo is fantastic. Structurally, a relatively straightforward number, however the depth of the song is impressive. 8/10

6. There Was A Time: Staggering. Easily the best thing on the album here. Epic in every sense of the word. Axl?s lyrics are heartfelt, and powerful. The guitar work amazing. Any doubts as to whether Robin or Bucket were right to fill Slash?s shoes are put to rest here. Robin?s solo is amazing, then along comes Bucket and follows it up with something even more epic. The song is heavy as hell. Brain?s drumming is thunderous, the band is on fire. 10+/10

7. Catcher In The Rye: A great piano ballad, showing the more harmonious side of the band more. Bumblefoot shows he is more than just a shredder guitarist with an impressive solo, better than Brian?s on the demo version, IMO. Great lyrics, piano work, a great song to chill to, and rounds off the first half of the album with style. 10/10

8. Scraped: One of the more industrial numbers. The layers of vocal harmonies at the start are pretty bad, it just doesn?t seem to fit, (IMO of course..). The song itself, when it kicks in, is solid though (despite later returns of the multi-layered vocals of the intro). Uplifting lyrics, cool solo?s and a mean rhythm section holding it all together. Lyrics are great to motivate yourself and as a big ?fuck you? to any haters or doubters. 7/10

9. Riad N? The Bedouins: A strange number. Cool, atmospheric, if slightly long intro. The main riff is beastly, and Tommy?s bass groove is unforgettable, one of the songs where he really gets to shine. The lyrics are strange and nonsensical, but Axl?s delivery is good, reaching some of his highest notes on the album. A solid, instant, catchy number. 8/10

10. Sorry: Haunting, moody, atmospheric, strange. Lots of words can describe this song. The best ones are simply that it kicks arse. There is an eerie ambiance to the song. Bucket?s solo is hauntingly memorable. A great set of lyrics, sort of a more mature version of 'Get In The Ring'. Unforgettable choruses, heavy and thunderous guitars. One of the best of the album. 10/10

11. I.R.S.:  solid, punchy number. It grows with time. More of an industrial feel, but sleazed up a lot credit to Bumblefoot. The lyrics are mean and aggressive, the last verse is venomous, topped off with an incredible scream from Axl, backed by a shredding, skilful solo from Buckethead. Solid and powerful. 9/10

12. Madagascar:  Along with 'If The World', probably the most experimental song on the album. Gloomfull, scene-setting French horns introduce the song, followed by Axl?s lyrics of forgiveness, sorrow and despair. A solid solo from Buckethead underplays the montage of quotes and speeches memorably. The drumming is great here. Simple, but unforgettable. 10/10

13. This I Love: Axl's masterpiece. The darker, evil sister of Street Of Dreams and Sweet Child O' Mine. Axl's capabilities on Piano are demonstrated wonderfully here. Passionate, deep lyrics, and Robin's amazing solo overplays an incredible instrumental part. These two minutes alone are two of the finest on the whole album. Axl?s screaming of the final chorus towards the end, and the final verse are some of the finest performances he?s ever given. The song is, put simply, incredible. 10/10

14. Prostitute: IMO, the most underrated song on the album. The lyrics seem to deal with a range of topics. They're a message to the fans, his naysayers, former lovers and band-mates all at once, but all in different ways. The whole band comes through to shine here. Heavy as sin, and epic as hell. The final two minutes fade the album out beautifully. Someone once described listening to the ending as imagining Axl walking down a long, long corridor, finally leaving through the exit at the end, forever. A pretty accurate description. If this was the final bit of studio work to come from Guns, this would be the best ending we could have wished for. Just behind 'There Was A Time' for best song on the album. 10/10

Overall album revew: 10/10
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:16:54 PM by seely » Logged

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

^ Awesome review man, I love the way you described Prostitute. Smiley

I'm listening to the album in the CD form again (as I bought a new notebook) with a really good pair of headphones and... what can I say? The songs sounds amazing, a trully awesome work there.

bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »

This I love
axlpwns
Rocker

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »

holy shit its so hard either chinese democracy, this i love, prostitute, or there was a time

11/17/2011 East Rutherford, NJ- IZOD Center
11/19/2011 Hartford, CT- Comcast Theatre
2/12/2012 New York, NY- Terminal 5
28andoldatheart
Opening Act

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2010, 11:50:59 PM »

There was a time is my favorite. Just now working some of it on guitar. Smiley
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #229 on: November 05, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »

There Was A Time
RusselNash
Opening Act

« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »

There was a time.

In my head, i can imagine 1000 diferent takes of this song.. diferent guitar/piano parts for it.. just to realize that this song is one of the most misterious and perfect piece of music that i ever heard.

SisterRose
Opening Act

« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:10 AM »

Madagascar. The lyrics really got to me the first time I heard it.

Forgive them that tear down my soul
And bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never too late

That and Axl's voice had quite an effect on me.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »

My favorite changes all the time but I'm currently going through a big Prostitute phase.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2011, 02:50:32 AM »

Prostitute is probably my favorite.
Z?phyr
VIP

« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:59 AM »

It's difficult do have a favorite track, I just see it as a great album... but the outro of prostitute asks for more though :-)

"It Ain't Rocket Science"
Jayster
Headliner

« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »

There was a Time is my favorite on the album, such a great great powerful song. the guitar solo's are amazing. and Axl vocals are killer. espically at the "i would do anything for you" parts.

next to that Prostitute is another one of my favorites. it gets me so pumped up for whatever comes next with the band's new music. like the calm before the storm moment.
Paula Toledo
Opening Act

« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »

Better is the most beautiful song that I hear ....

I would like to see a video clip!  Grin
axl77
Opening Act

« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »

It has to be Prostitute. Thats ending is so beautiful
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:01 PM »

At the moment, I'm really liking Chinese Democracy (the song), the music, the message, Axl's vocals.  drool

It probably has become my favourite GN'R song ever at this point, I just love the feel of it.

And my favourite part of the track is Robins' and Bucketheads' dueling guitar trade off. That solo is just amazing, Robins' fantastic sharp and high notes. And then Buckets fast fretwork, and also harmonicly high notes, all make this superb.  Grin

Gezzy
Headliner

Don't Damn Me

« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »

There Was A Time.

No doubt about it, 3 awesome solos, simple but great chord sequences. Not to mention great lyrics and a knockout chorus!

Velvet Revolver
23/01/2005
05/06/2007
Guns N' Roses
17/10/10
26/05/12
Thin Lizzy w/ Richard Fortus
02/06/11
Duff McKagan's Loaded
05/11/11
Slash
06/06/12