Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Alice Cooper: 'I Wish I Could See More Bands Like Early Guns N Roses'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice Cooper: 'I Wish I Could See More Bands Like Early Guns N Roses'  (Read 27938 times)
gravedancer
Opening Act

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »

I think the problem is that Alice assumed Vampire Weekend were a heavy metal band based on their name alone. They're not. They're an 'Afro-Pop' band whose songs are in the vein of Paul Simon's Graceland, and they're preppy Oxford kids. They're actually pretty good, if you're into that sort of thing. One of their songs was used in the opening credits of the Will Ferrell movie Step Brothers.

As far as "snotty rock n' roll" goes, I'd say The Strokes captured that whole sleazy living-for-girls-and-booze spirit on their first album, which was recorded as they were living in the bars and clubs of NYC. They cited GN'R as one of their biggest influences, and had Slash, Duff and Matt Sorum cameo in their music video for "Somedays." Here they are drunk and stoned in another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuvX_X7Rlw
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:47:23 PM by gravedancer » Logged
lostdream
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »

I guess what Alice Cooper intended to say was that not ONE single band came even CLOSE to early Aerosmith or Guns ?n? Roses in the LONG time since those two bands were founded. At least that is what I think, when I read his words. And if that is his opinion, I absolutely second that.

It?s a pity, but that?s the way it is. No band has even come somewhere CLOSE to Aerosmith and Guns in the last decades.

They were unique, they are STILL unique and I love them both so much.  ok

...We take for granted we know the whole story. We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines...
gravedancer
Opening Act

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 03:44:41 PM »

I guess what Alice Cooper intended to say was that not ONE single band came even CLOSE to early Aerosmith or Guns ?n? Roses in the LONG time since those two bands were founded. At least that is what I think, when I read his words. And if that is his opinion, I absolutely second that.

It?s a pity, but that?s the way it is. No band has even come somewhere CLOSE to Aerosmith and Guns in the last decades.

They were unique, they are STILL unique and I love them both so much.  ok

I agree that no hard rock band since GN'R has captured their fusion of early Aerosmith and Stonesy blues -- they were one of the best ever, period.

However, in terms of general rock n' roll, I think people like Josh Homme are carrying the banner. Queens of the Stone Age is a brilliant hard rock band. And, like I said above, The Strokes are pretty goddamn great. Again, they're not exactly the same as GN'R in a style or musical sense, but then again, most of the bands trying to mimic that 'scene' nowadays turn out to be jokes like Hinder. It's all about the attitude, which guys like Homme definitely carry on.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »

I think I might have to disagree with that. I would have to say that Buckcherry came close to that sound of Aerosmith/GNR.
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 02:27:48 AM »

amy winehouse is rock n roll!!! peace

homo homini lupus...
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:12 AM »

'Real' hardrock (and/or metal) bands and with the rock n' roll attitude are just not mainstream (anymore).

There are some (little) exceptions ofcourse for bands that are already going for more than 10-15 years...

Time changes, and it can change again...if we have some patient  Wink

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »

um... paging mr. cooper... there's a band that's every bit as awesome as early GNR... they're called GNR.

sure, this old guy's a legend, but come on... get with the times man.  he totally made an ass of himself in that interview.

What? For giving his honest opinion? You can disagree with the man but insulting him for giving his opinion is silly.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »

I don't think he's saying that GNR should be that way now, but rather...

I wish I could see more bands like that were like early Guns N' Roses, early Aerosmith, just snotty rock 'n' roll bands."

I wasn't talking about Alice Cooper, but rather this:

I wish GnR was morelike early GnR Shocked

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »

I wish I could see more bands like that were like early Guns N' Roses, early Aerosmith, just snotty rock 'n' roll bands."

Got it now.  Then I would have to agree with you, that would be stupid.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 08:49:06 AM »

Yeah, it sure would fucking stupid to have a band that toured, made videos,, did interviews and released albums on a regular basis.  Stupid indeed!!
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »

um... paging mr. cooper... there's a band that's every bit as awesome as early GNR... they're called GNR.

sure, this old guy's a legend, but come on... get with the times man.  he totally made an ass of himself in that interview.

yeah he's a legend, and he's right.

when was the last time you saw a new band just do shit their way, rather than conforming to fit in a nice little package for a record company

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »

Yeah, it sure would fucking stupid to have a band that toured, made videos,, did interviews and released albums on a regular basis.  Stupid indeed!!

I was responding to Voodoo's post...and it would be.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

aren't there many bands like that?  Huh
XxWickeds10xX
Rocker

GNFNR

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

I think Alice is spot on. Id like to see more bands with the same swagger as early GnR.

Dont get me wrong I love "new" GnR, but its apples and oranges really.
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »

Go rent the movie about Jerry Lee Lewis. He's rock & roll.  ok
peter7411226
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »

So were Guns!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »

So are Guns!!

fixed it for ya
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »

Anyone who thinks current Guns fit what Alice is talking about...i.e. the rebellion, the snotty attitude etc, simply due to the inactivity and poor communication:

Current guns tour when they feel like it - which is rarely. They release an album 'when it's ready' - which is at the current rate, every decade and a half. They communicate directly with fans once a year. Their website is updated at about the same rate. No one knows for sure who's in the band, when or if they'll be gigging, what they're doing, etc, etc.

People, I'd like to tell you about my band, Binky & The Toadstools. Boy, you're gonna love us.

We're the most rebellious motherfuckers in existence. Not only do we never gig, we've never recorded a song, don't speak to each other, have never met each other, couldn't give a shit about our fans, don't have a website, don't sell merchandise (not even scented candles), and our debut CD is coming out approximately whenever the fuck we please.

I confidently expect several of the people around here to tout us as the greatest, most hardcore, rebel-rousing band since the Robin Finck era.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:17:27 PM by TomFriend » Logged

And there goes the challenger...
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 08:23:01 PM »

We all want to see more bands like Early GNR I dont think that will happen soon but it will with some time

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2009, 08:25:23 PM »

We all want to see more bands like Early GNR I dont think that will happen soon but it will with some time

Exactly. People are bound to get sick of the trite, middle-of-the-road shit that passes for rock music in 2009 eventually. These things come and go in phases, and you've got to either ride it out or look beyond the mainstream at some of the bands with a smaller following. There's always plenty going on beneath the surface.

And there goes the challenger...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: