Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:52:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227838 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  China, growth, the economy, axl rose ... ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: China, growth, the economy, axl rose ... ?  (Read 3614 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: February 03, 2005, 05:22:43 PM »

With china being in the center of every economy debates and classes.
irrational growth and all the investement taking place there. ..
china is really the focus of attention of a lot persons (economists, politics, military...)

do you think axl will actually talk about modern china or just use the old "chinese" (democracy/dictature) theme as a poetical / metaphorical image ?
in other words, do you think some of the lyrics will be REAL and about the world of today, or "chinese democracy" is just a theme to talk about the personal feelings of axl / the band ?

i know rockstars aren't here to talk about serious general stuff like politics, but axl's 42 so he might get "intellectual" Smiley

/jarmo (i've always wanted to do that)  Grin

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 05:25:33 PM »

I think Axl said he just chose that title because it sounded cool.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »

You're going to call this album "Chinese Democracy." What is the meaning of that, since there is no Chinese democracy, of course?

Rose: Well, there's a lot of Chinese democracy movements, and it's something that there's a lot of talk about, and it's something that will be nice to see. It could also just be like an ironic statement. I don't know, I just like the sound of it.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 07:28:45 PM »

yeah, but it was like 5 years ago

even if the explosion of china was kinda predictable, it is the major thing in international politics ... so maybe axl will be talk about it .. dunno.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:30:42 PM »

I forget who- but I think either Dizzy or Tommy mentioned that Axl was really taking his time with the lyrics because CD was going to "sound like Guns N' Roses musically", but many of the lyrics were going to be "significantly more political" than any previous Guns' record.  Now whether all the "political" songs on the album will be China-centered or not... who knows. Maybe he'll touch on 9/11, Iraq, Sudan, etc. too. We also know that Axl loves lyrics that tell several stories at the same time. i.e. most people think the song "Chinese Democracy" is probably both about democratic movements in China AND the break-up of the original Guns', etc.  I also have a feeling that Stephanie Seymour is going to be all over this album. Not literally unfortunately... drool

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jgfnsr
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 11:45:43 PM »

I forget who- but I think either Dizzy or Tommy mentioned that Axl was really taking his time with the lyrics because CD was going to "sound like Guns N' Roses musically", but many of the lyrics were going to be "significantly more political" than any previous Guns' record.? Now whether all the "political" songs on the album will be China-centered or not... who knows. Maybe he'll touch on 9/11, Iraq, Sudan, etc. too. We also know that Axl loves lyrics that tell several stories at the same time. i.e. most people think the song "Chinese Democracy" is probably both about democratic movements in China AND the break-up of the original Guns', etc.? I also have a feeling that Stephanie Seymour is going to be all over this album. Not literally unfortunately... drool

In one interview Tommy lauded Axl's lyrics as being a lot "deeper" than the lyrics of the old band's songs.  But I don't recall him ever saying anything about lyrics relating to politics...  Huh
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:48:03 AM »

It's a metaphor for something that can never be attained.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 02:09:03 AM »

'Minzhu' is the Chinese word for "democracy", and their definition is something like "people as slaves", so from their perspective, based on ancient Chinese termanology, "democracy" is akin to slavery, something the Chinese wouldn't want to experience. Just something to think about...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 02:29:22 AM »

I actually agree with China NOT giving political rights to their people.  I know that sounds horrible.  But you just don't give a mass of uneducated people the right to vote.  The most likely outcome is a Hitler or Robert Mugabe type. 

Anyways thats just my 2 cents.  Axl probably doesn't 2 sh*ts.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Evil Ash
Dude, they peed on your fucking rug
VIP

GnR is unstoppable, but delay-able ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 06:11:25 AM »

I actually agree with China NOT giving political rights to their people.  I know that sounds horrible.  But you just don't give a mass of uneducated people the right to vote.  The most likely outcome is a Hitler or Robert Mugabe type. 

So this is the problem in america Wink

On topic: Chinese Democracy, i dunno, you gotsta think about the possibility's with the artwork on such a theme!

Like peeing clouds!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 07:48:36 AM »

I actually agree with China NOT giving political rights to their people.? I know that sounds horrible.? But you just don't give a mass of uneducated people the right to vote.? The most likely outcome is a Hitler or Robert Mugabe type.?

Your an idiot.

Though i do agree YOU should be denied the vote.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 08:11:39 AM »

I also have a feeling that Stephanie Seymour is going to be all over this album. Not literally unfortunately... drool

Thats one sure way to ship 4-5 million copies! Like the Lies inner cover...

Here today...ready to rock
mentalradio
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »

"'Minzhu' is the Chinese word for "democracy", and their definition is something like "people as slaves", so from their perspective, based on ancient Chinese termanology, "democracy" is akin to slavery, something the Chinese wouldn't want to experience. Just something to think about..."

The term "MinZhu" has nothing to do with slavery. Plain and simple, it means "People's Power."
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

As practically everyone is aware, China has its fair share of human rights abuses.  Nevertheless, I don't think it's fair to think that China will never give people any rights.  On the positive side, China has come a long way from the 1970s after the death of Mao.  They have opened up their economy substantially, and the government isn't nearly as oppressive as it once was.  To think that places like China will never make any inroads is truly sad.  In my opinion, many people in my country (U.S.) tend to stereotype China without realizing that times are changing. 

Regarding Chinese Democracy, I think Axl is probably using the title metaphorically.  I do think this album will, however, include some political commentary. 

Looking forward to it!   beer
True Believer
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 03:55:32 PM »

I actually agree with China NOT giving political rights to their people.? I know that sounds horrible.? But you just don't give a mass of uneducated people the right to vote.? The most likely outcome is a Hitler or Robert Mugabe type.?

Right.? Like americans are so educated.? We're a bunch of american-idol watching film-majors most of whom couldn't find iraq or even china on a map.? But perhaps you're right...i mean look who our own nation of uneducated idiots elected...

I would LOVE if axl goes political on america's ass and tells everyone what's up.? In america today, you get to vote for either massive corporate control, or massive corporate control. 
THIS is a chinese democracy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:00:20 PM by True Believer » Logged
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 04:15:29 PM »

Right.? Like americans are so educated.? We're a bunch of american-idol watching film-majors most of whom couldn't find iraq or even china on a map.? But perhaps you're right...i mean look who our own nation of uneducated idiots elected...

I would LOVE if axl goes political on america's ass and tells everyone what's up.? In america today, you get to vote for either massive corporate control, or massive corporate control.?
THIS is a chinese democracy.

Well put...I agree with a lot of what you just said.? ?ok? However, I'm not so sure if it would be such a great idea for Axl to get too political.? Sometimes I just like to listen to GNR and forget about the nasty side of politics.? Nevertheless, I think it's time for the U.S. public to realize that despite China's poor record for human rights, China has also made progress. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: