Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227910 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What do they bring to the table? (The new album)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do they bring to the table? (The new album)  (Read 17744 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »

Frank is a member of The Compulsions too.

I know he's a member, but I'm not 100% familiar. Does he have any writing credits?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »

I know he's a member, but I'm not 100% familiar. Does he have any writing credits?
I dont know, i bought their first e.p. from 2004 on itunes and the credits box is left blank. Didnt find anything on their website either. Most likely its Written by The Compulsions officially.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »

I dont know, i bought their first e.p. from 2004 on itunes and the credits box is left blank. Didnt find anything on their website either. Most likely its Written by The Compulsions officially.

Yeah, I guess they have a deal which splits credits evenly on everyone regardless of the actual writer.

Impossible for us to know then. That goes for Richard as well then, I'm just assuming he has a hand in the writing based on past efforts. The guitar player usually writes more songs than the drummer normally too. Not without exception of course, as we need not look further than Chinese were there's a drummer writing at least three songs (off the top of my head, didn't go back and check).

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »

All true.

Freese on Chinese and Brain in Shacklers and Sorry.

One of the reasons Brain left the band was that he wanted to concentrate on his song writing.

Freese i think has only written songs for his solo albums and GNR. He said he wrote three songs, one of them being Chinese Democracy. The others went to a B- or C-list.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »

I wanna have as many songs from Chinese Democracy sessions as possible on the next record/records so I have to choose Axl (of course), Dizzy, Chris and Tommy (and from the former members Tobias, Buckethead, Finck and Mantia).

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »

If they bring in any outside writers, who would be the best fit you think?

Previously there have been West, Del and Tobias (outsider at the time).

Anyone know if Brain still writes with the band? We know he focuses on composing music nowadays. Same goes for Paul Tobias, anyone know if he's still affiliated with the band? He did have a lot of credits on Chinese, much more than I had though beforehand.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »

I wanna have as many songs from Chinese Democracy sessions as possible on the next record/records so I have to choose Axl (of course), Dizzy, Chris and Tommy (and from the former members Tobias, Buckethead, Finck and Mantia).

If these songs see the light of day, I would assume the above mentioned people are the main writing crew. Much like Chinese itself.

Sweetness is a virtue
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »

Previously there have been West, Del and Tobias (outsider at the time).

Anyone know if Brain still writes with the band? We know he focuses on composing music nowadays. Same goes for Paul Tobias, anyone know if he's still affiliated with the band? He did have a lot of credits on Chinese, much more than I had though beforehand.
Idoubt that Brain has anything to do with guns nowdays.

No idea about Tobias

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »

Yeah, I guess Tobias was only in the spotlight for the few live shows he did with Guns. It's like he fell off the face of the earth after that, did he ever have a band of his own?

Jarmo, did you ever get to meet Paul? Was he ever attending any concerts from 2006 and onwards?

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »

Pete Scaturro and Marco Beltrami

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »

Listening to One Man Mutiny (the song). Is this something you guys could hear as a Guns song? Tommy's guitar and vocals, Richard's guitar and Dizzy's piano playing.

Throw Axl into the mix, and it's something similar to Patience. Makes me wish for some stripped down acoustic songs to appear on future releases.

Sweetness is a virtue
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Pete Scaturro and Marco Beltrami

Marco, does he do anything else than orchestration?

As for Pete. Anyone know what parts he wrote on Shacklers and Sorry?

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »

Marco Beltrami about his work with GN'R:
http://ign.com/articles/2003/07/18/more-with-marco

On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it.

A song called "Seven," which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:56:14 PM by Sosso » Logged

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »

Link doesn't work.

Could you copy/paste the article?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:55:11 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

It should work now. I have quoted the most relevant parts.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »

Thanks!

(still can't access the site though..)

Sweetness is a virtue
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 07:06:39 PM »

Thanks!

(still can't access the site though..)

Here is the whole interview:

IGN: When you go to the movies, do you key into other composer's music and subsequently find yourself saying "I would have done this or that"? Or are you able to disassociate yourself from that?
Marco Beltrami: Well, no, I can never disassociate myself from it, but I can enjoy the movie still. If it's a real bad score, then it can ruin a movie for me or at least it will draw a lot of my attention to the score. I sort of enjoy being able to hear what other composers are doing and how they might score something differently than me. I enjoy that part.
IGN: Now what about being labeled as a genre composer, if such a thing exists? I mean you've made a name for yourself via scoring mostly horror films and thrillers with horrific undertones.
Marco Beltrami: I think it's okay for now. I mean I haven't been doing this that long and the fact is that most of the movies that I've done that have been a success have been, I guess sort of genre type movies. But I still feel like I have a lot to say in other areas and will have plenty of opportunities to do that. I'm not really worried with the way my career seems to be going, which is in a forward moving direction. So I think there's time for everything.
IGN: What was it like working with Marilyn Manson on the Resident Evil score?
Marco Beltrami: It was great. He had really great ideas; he approached it a little bit different from me coming from a different background. We'd meet once or twice a week, either at his studio or my studio and play each other what we'd been working on. It really worked out well. I was amazed at how continuous the score felt. It felt like it was one score rather than two different composers working on a score. I think it was a good collaboration and I look forward to doing it again sometime.
IGN: Meaning working with Marilyn again or with other rock musicians in general?
Marco Beltrami: Yeah, I would work with him again. There's Resident Evil 2 but I think they need an English composer for that. So maybe on a different project. I think it would be fun. He's got a lot of great ideas and approaches music [differently]. His sense of sound and creating, mixing the sort of sound and music worlds is really cool. I definitely learned stuff for him and think it would be a good experience again.
IGN: Since we're talking about rock musicians, what was the deal with you arranging some orchestral sections for the impending Guns N Roses album?
Marco Beltrami: That was sort of just work for hire. I guess they'd heard some of my orchestral music of mine. I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. It was a fun project. I really enjoyed it. The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. People ask me about the album and I really have no idea about the release. I thought it was coming out last September. I'm the wrong person to ask about that.
IGN: He came to you with the tracks then, so you weren't ever in the studio with the musicians or anything like that
Marco Beltrami: No, they had finished tracks. On one song I actually wrote a guitar part, but they pretty much had the band tracks down and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it.
IGN: What songs were they, by chance?
Marco Beltrami: A song called "Seven," which is the one that I did the most work on, I actually did some writing on. There was one called "Thyme," one called "The General," one called "Leave Me Alone."
IGN: How was that as an experience? Do you have any future plans to work with more rock musicians or is it more like you'll take it as it comes?
Marco Beltrami: I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was different than doing film music, but it was a lot of fun. I would probably do it again. It would probably be more fun at some point, to do it as a more collaborative affair, starting more from scratch, working and writing stuff [together]. But it was definitely fun.
IGN: Plus it shows that you're not limited to just film work.
Marco Beltrami: Oh, no, not at all. In fact I have plans for other projects as well, some operatic stuff and some concert stuff, and I like writing songs, too. To me music is music and it's not limited by the medium, it just encompasses everything.

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »

He did stuff on SOD, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute as well, so seems like he's worked on at least 8 songs in total.

I gotta say, when listening to the orchestral tracks of those songs, they're really good.

Sweetness is a virtue
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »

Jarmo, did you ever get to meet Paul? Was he ever attending any concerts from 2006 and onwards?

Not that I remember....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Sosso
VIP

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »

He did stuff on SOD, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute as well, so seems like he's worked on at least 8 songs in total.

I gotta say, when listening to the orchestral tracks of those songs, they're really good.

And he has only named songs that weren't included on CD. What do you think about that?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: