Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227930 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Art thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Art thread  (Read 78574 times)
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 01:37:10 PM »

Do you get the same?

sorry dear, it gives me a headache confused

the foreground tree looks like tina turner and the sun looks like a golden eye

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
MCT
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 03:49:32 PM »

Do you get the same?

Seems everything I write lately is giving you a headache AND a compulsion to use that fuckin' smiley... Angry

What's the problem?

I'm insecure.

And I smell like baked onions.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »

Do you get the same?

Seems everything I write lately is giving you a headache AND a compulsion to use that fuckin' smiley... Angry

What's the problem?

I'm insecure.

And I smell like baked onions.

ever since you painted every photo in our wedding album in picasso style i cant look at you the same way anymore

baked onions, are you going through a modern art vegetable period?

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »

Taken from classicgreetings.com website. I came across the picture a few years ago while I was image searching for Axl Rose at Google. Needless to say, I fell in love with it instantly.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:30:28 PM by Drew » Logged

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
MCT
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2005, 06:54:26 PM »

baked onions, are you going through a modern art vegetable period?

I don't wash.
Surfrider
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2005, 07:40:02 PM »

Ever since I went to the Prado when I was young I have loved Bosch.? There is something really eerie about it.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 08:01:50 PM by BerkeleyRiot » Logged
Surfrider
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2005, 08:00:04 PM »

Even though its a popular pick, I think the size and the story behind the Guernica definately makes it one of my all time favorites.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2005, 04:32:11 AM »

You know any time I really kick back and take in one of Vincent's later works (replete with his signature brush strokes) I feel like I'm being duped somehow.

We have for example in his landscapes what would normally be considered serene and even majestic settings. However these settings are portrayed in such a way that it's assaulting! And I'm not talking about the cliche description of his use of color! I'm talking about the underlying violence and sinister air that lurks in his paintings.

Take Olive Trees with Yellow Sky and Sun :

Just look at the trees! Picasso at his best couldn't create such distinctly indistinct monsters!

It's really something else...leaves me wide-eyed and shaking my head half the time. Which I suppose means the man managed to make an impression on me. And admittedly I love his painting. But for reasons I can't really articulate as I don't necessarily expect a certain something from a particular painting as I would with that of another painter.

Do you get the same?

Definitely

I think the aggressiveness in some of his paintings was inspired by personal frustration. Sunflowers, cypress trees and stars are in 3D motion, as if they're possessed. Maybe he meant to impose his aggression onto things that are considered beautiful and serene, by making them twisted and out of control.
MCT
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »

I think the aggressiveness in some of his paintings was inspired by personal frustration. Sunflowers, cypress trees and stars are in 3D motion, as if they're possessed. Maybe he meant to impose his aggression onto things that are considered beautiful and serene, by making them twisted and out of control.

Well Van Gogh believed that Impressionism restricted the ability to express the emotion that he sought to convey. Hence he is sometimes called an Expressionist as expression of emotion was his main concern. So yes, he no doubt imposed his agression and more besides onto things that are considered beautiful and serene.

I mean as you pointed out his landscapes are in a constant state of motion. The environments he created were filled with movement as opposed to the architectural stability that the post-Impressionists sought. A testament to his agressive expression.

But what's odd in all this is that for Van Gogh, color, not form determined the expressive content of his paintings.

It is known for example that yellow meant faith or love to him while simplistic reds and greens stood for the terrible passions of Man.

Which of course is interesting here as we essentially have God shining down upon His snarly and imperfect creations that interestingly cast shadows representative of something more...divine.

But the way that it was created and presented by the artist is just a degree or two enough off center that things feel odd.

And I get this from even his early paintings, this underlying sinister air. So your bit about personal frustration (if you meant the mental illness that affected his ability to paint) wouldn't extend back that far.

And because we know that he took his life due to his increasing inability to paint (he felt that art alone made his life worth living), what are we left with? Disparity between a past faith and a present outlook? And if so, can that really account for the topic at hand?
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2005, 01:34:20 PM »

Even though its a popular pick, I think the size and the story behind the Guernica definately makes it one of my all time favorites.

wow, its picasso right? what is the story behind guernica?
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2005, 04:24:55 AM »

And I get this from even his early paintings, this underlying sinister air. So your bit about personal frustration (if you meant the mental illness that affected his ability to paint) wouldn't extend back that far.

I was referring to his frustration from lack of money and recognition. He was truly a starving artist. Although painting was his livelihood, he wasn't profiting from it financially. To my knowledge, he only sold one painting while he was living.

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2005, 05:22:31 PM »

Thomas Brill:

the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2005, 05:32:34 PM »

Iv'e always enjoyed dadaism

Nude Descending a Staircase , Marcel Duchamp

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2005, 08:03:14 PM »

http://www.hitler.org/art/flowers/flower3.jpg

Here's a fine still life by Adolf Hitler. Yes, THE Adolf Hitler. Unfortunately, people were into mediocre dada instead of truly beautiful art and snubbed his art as old fashioned and out of style. Modern art like dada became very popular during and after WWI because the German national spirit was crushed and everyone was depressed. No one thought about flowers or nature's beauty. Hitler failed to inspire them with his art, where he probably would have been accepted just a generation ago. Discusted with their ignorance, he decided to go into politics to spread nationalism instead. You all know the rest of this story...

There's a lesson to be learned here. Modern art that values philosophy over aesthetics is destined for mediocrity. Not all modern art is like this, but the whole scene tends to reach this conclusion. If I wanted philosophy, I would read. Art should celebrate beauty.  love It's sad that many people pretend to enjoy modern art to appear sophisticated, like listening to mediocre jazz over brilliant classical music. When too many people get into this "modern" worldview, they lose their values and tend to fall for philosophies such as Hitler's.

I enjoy art with an esoteric aesthetic, like Darkthrone; this kind of stuff is just noise to most people. However, it has a hidden beauty that's hard to notice at first. I despise art that's "kvlt" for the sake of kvltness, like 99% of black metal and modern art out there. There are a few gems out there, of course. Guernia is one of them.

Van Gogh and Bosch are excellent. Picasso is good, but incredibly overrated these days. The dada here is interesting, but it's not the same as the old masters' work.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2005, 09:38:38 PM »

http://www.hitler.org/art/flowers/flower3.jpg

Here's a fine still life by Adolf Hitler. Yes, THE Adolf Hitler. Unfortunately, people were into mediocre dada instead of truly beautiful art and snubbed his art as old fashioned and out of style. Modern art like dada became very popular during and after WWI because the German national spirit was crushed and everyone was depressed. No one thought about flowers or nature's beauty. Hitler failed to inspire them with his art, where he probably would have been accepted just a generation ago. Discusted with their ignorance, he decided to go into politics to spread nationalism instead. You all know the rest of this story...

There's a lesson to be learned here. Modern art that values philosophy over aesthetics is destined for mediocrity. Not all modern art is like this, but the whole scene tends to reach this conclusion. If I wanted philosophy, I would read. Art should celebrate beauty.? love It's sad that many people pretend to enjoy modern art to appear sophisticated, like listening to mediocre jazz over brilliant classical music. When too many people get into this "modern" worldview, they lose their values and tend to fall for philosophies such as Hitler's.

I enjoy art with an esoteric aesthetic, like Darkthrone; this kind of stuff is just noise to most people. However, it has a hidden beauty that's hard to notice at first. I despise art that's "kvlt" for the sake of kvltness, like 99% of black metal and modern art out there. There are a few gems out there, of course. Guernia is one of them.

Van Gogh and Bosch are excellent. Picasso is good, but incredibly overrated these days. The dada here is interesting, but it's not the same as the old masters' work.

Hi Walk, honestly I knew something about? Hitler's artistic past, but I never saw any of his pictures, in fact I never thought that some of them were available to be seen and apreciated. On the other hands, if you look at those Roses, " there is only one that looks above, the other ones, are looking down, and their colors are off, wich tell people something important, his sadness, loneliness, and low steem with pretentions of superiority, now I know you didnt ask to make a self interpretation of the picture, but I wanted to share something that in my opinion says a lot about hitler and what was his behavior.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 10:01:28 PM by Carlos GMS » Logged
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2005, 09:46:55 PM »

He was just born at the right place at the wrong time. His art looks fine to me. In fact, it looks proud and powerful compared to the depressing dada art of the time. It was also very unpopular and this only made him angrier. It's interesting to compare the aesthetics of fascism to democracy (at least at the time). Look at films like Triumph of the Will: guess where that infamous scene with the 1000s of people lined up is also seen? Return of the Jedi!  Smiley  beer

If anything, art is an important part of propaganda, which is something Hitler absolutely mastered. He knew exactly how to combine philosophy with aesthetics. Modern art often leans to philosophy too much, and reactionary art is all show and no soul. Both are important to a complete piece.

I know this is a controversial one, but it's nearly a given that Van Gogh, Picasso, Da Vinci, etc will be thought of in an art thread, so I thought it would be interesting introducing an unexpected element. If anything, it shows that art and politics usually don't mix (Bono, I'm looking right at you!).
MCT
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2005, 10:25:33 PM »

I was referring to his frustration from lack of money and recognition. He was truly a starving artist. Although painting was his livelihood, he wasn't profiting from it financially. To my knowledge, he only sold one painting while he was living.

I just can't see that accounting for it. There's something more...and I don't have a clue what it might be.

Iv'e always enjoyed dadaism

It's an interesting movement and "Nude..." is certainly an interesting picture.

A thought or three?

I enjoy art with an esoteric aesthetic

Esoteric?
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2005, 02:32:39 AM »

I just can't see that accounting for it. There's something more...and I don't have a clue what it might be.

I don't have a clue either. I was just trying to guess.

Picasso - Dove of Peace:

Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2005, 02:37:32 PM »

Esoteric?

#1  a.  Intended for or understood by only a particular group: an esoteric cult. b.  Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.

#2 a. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests. b. Not publicly disclosed; confidential.

Populist art is almost always mediocre. Esoteric art that only a few people appreciate is usually better. Populist art has to appeal to the lowest common denominator, so to speak. That's why its themes are simple, like democracy, peace, love, celebrities, etc.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2005, 01:10:49 AM »

"The Harbour" - Max Pechstein:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: