Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:06:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Report/Rumor - Axl has pulled out of Jimmy Kimmel's show
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Report/Rumor - Axl has pulled out of Jimmy Kimmel's show  (Read 59693 times)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »

Ah ok.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2016, 02:40:09 PM »

It became public knowledge for people who were looking for it and knew it was coming. Had Kimmel happened tonight (on ABC) it would have been on Good Morning America Wednesday morning, and would have been plastered on their Web Properties. TMZ would have played clips from it, and had video of him leaving and getting in his car etc...

INSTEAD, I have seen more reports, and heard from coworkers about the Kimmel Cancelation being 'typical Axl' than I have about Coachella and when Coachella is brought up today at work it is typically in regards to Kimmel with a 'I'll believe it when I see them show up, he couldn't even do an interview".

Why chase away good press and momentum? Even if Axl wants to shy away from the PR dog and pony show, fine, let Slash do it.

This was my point too.

But I was told it was no problem...because internet comments.  Or something.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »

That's kind of how PR works... Most normal entertainers don't just announce something once from a paid fan club.

Yeah: Axl Rose goes on JKL and confirms what we already knew.

Either way, the news got out. Check your social media and news outlets.... Smiley

/jarmo

I get it... it's out there, but so is the same old story... he canceled, no showed or was late to something. This just looked like a clean slate and for whatever reason (we may never know) it was canceled. The first thing tied to this reunion was a miscommunication of some kind.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2016, 02:42:46 PM »

You still think he's going on a talk show to announce what was already announced and is public knowledge by now?

Huh

/jarmo

That's kind of how PR works... Most normal entertainers don't just announce something once from a paid fan club.

Look at Star Wars, do you really think it wasn't public knowledge when Harrison Ford made multiple talk show appearances? How about your average pop star that will do Kimmel, Fallon, and Colbert all to promote something.

It became public knowledge for people who were looking for it and knew it was coming. Had Kimmel happened tonight (on ABC) it would have been on Good Morning America Wednesday morning, and would have been plastered on their Web Properties. TMZ would have played clips from it, and had video of him leaving and getting in his car etc...

INSTEAD, I have seen more reports, and heard from coworkers about the Kimmel Cancelation being 'typical Axl' than I have about Coachella and when Coachella is brought up today at work it is typically in regards to Kimmel with a 'I'll believe it when I see them show up, he couldn't even do an interview".

Why chase away good press and momentum? Even if Axl wants to shy away from the PR dog and pony show, fine, let Slash do it.

Dude, did you really just compare Axl to Harrison Ford? For one thing I agree with you though. It's typical Axl. It's typical rock n' fuckin' roll. One of the last ones there, actually.

"...It don't really matter..."
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »

This was my point too.

As happy as I am, and as easily as it *can be* remedied, I agree that cancelling a high profile interview on the heels of this news is proooobably not the best way to build faith in things going well from here.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »

This was my point too.

Lots of "or something" mixed in there,too.  In fact, mostly "or something".

I'm just not going to rehash it again. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

I get it... it's out there, but so is the same old story... he canceled, no showed or was late to something. This just looked like a clean slate and for whatever reason (we may never know) it was canceled. The first thing tied to this reunion was a miscommunication of some kind.

That story has been out there for years. Nothing changed no matter how many tours went well without any incidents.
So the same people keep repeating it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »

This was my point too.

All I'm saying is, we got some GREAT news last night. If you want to focus on Axl not being on Kimmel, that's your right. Anyone who was excited for this tour to happen will probably still be excited once/if it's announced. If people were on the fence and view him canceling Kimmel as a bad sign, that's a valid concern. But again, things don't begin and end with who is or isn't on Kimmel tonight. Let's see how this all plays out.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

Really?

Because most of what I've heard...in articles, from twitter, from facebook, from instragram....basically from everywhere (with the exception of here, and the comments section) has pretty much glossed over OR totally ignored the Kimmel no show.

I can't tell you which of us experience is "more true", but, all things considered, I'd suggest (as I have, previously) that the overall effect of the cancellation is pretty much nil.

Together again,
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2016, 02:50:54 PM »

Personally, I would rather Axl lay low until the first gig back.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »

Dude, did you really just compare Axl to Harrison Ford? For one thing I agree with you though. It's typical Axl. It's typical rock n' fuckin' roll. One of the last ones there, actually.

No, I compared a huge reunion after 20 years of downtime (with some public knowledge of said reunion) to a movie franchise that hasn't created a good product since the 80's (which is also publicly known about from a PR standpoint)... If anything in this world ever, was going to be successful on rumor and speculation alone it was this Star Wars movie. It would have done 1billion in the theaters with out a single interview, Dodge car/truck commercial, or action figure. BUT they marketed the f**k out of it. In comparison we should just be happy that a huge reunion is being trickled out though a fan club with a $10 membership fee and a free belt buckle. Will it be enough to pack stadiums, probably... BUT why not scream this from the rafters. In the early 1990's you couldn't avoid GnR if you wanted to. Maybe the Kimmel thing gets postponed, maybe it is a different major forum used to promote it in the near future, but it doesn't help that there was a slip up in the early going... and no one is giving him brownie points for being 'the last true rock star' and being flaky...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2016, 02:53:19 PM »

That story has been out there for years. Nothing changed no matter how many tours went well without any incidents.
So the same people keep repeating it.

/jarmo

I keep saying the same thing.

The folks harping on the Kimmel no show were the folks who harp on Axl, constantly, anyway.

The Kimmel no show did not, in and of itself, newly mint that mindset in a single person, I'd bet.

And there are literally 5 years or so of "new evidence" that he's been reliable....that will get soundly ignored by those folks, too.

So, really...it's a zero sum effect.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »

No, I compared a huge reunion after 20 years of downtime (with some public knowledge of said reunion) to a movie franchise that hasn't created a good product since the 80's (which is also publicly known about from a PR standpoint)... If anything in this world ever, was going to be successful on rumor and speculation alone it was this Star Wars movie. It would have done 1billion in the theaters with out a single interview, Dodge car/truck commercial, or action figure. BUT they marketed the f**k out of it. In comparison we should just be happy that a huge reunion is being trickled out though a fan club with a $10 membership fee and a free belt buckle. Will it be enough to pack stadiums, probably... BUT why not scream this from the rafters. In the early 1990's you couldn't avoid GnR if you wanted to. Maybe the Kimmel thing gets postponed, maybe it is a different major forum used to promote it in the near future, but it doesn't help that there was a slip up in the early going... and no one is giving him brownie points for being 'the last true rock star' and being flaky...

Does it help? No.

Does it hurt? No.

And, as I said in another thread, you could post this stuff on my personal blog and it would get disseminated so...no...I have no issue with them announcing it on the fan club forums first, and letting word of mouth (and social media) do the heavy lifting.

Actually, I think it's quite brilliant, in terms of a marketing strategy.  And, so far, seems to be working pretty well.  When it's not, then we can talk about what would work "better".

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »

Really?

Because most of what I've heard...in articles, from twitter, from facebook, from instragram....basically from everywhere (with the exception of here, and the comments section) has pretty much glossed over OR totally ignored the Kimmel no show.

I can't tell you which of us experience is "more true", but, all things considered, I'd suggest (as I have, previously) that the overall effect of the cancellation is pretty much nil.

Literally the first handful of people I talked to when I walked into EMC this morning asked me about Kimmel and had no idea about the other internet related news. Depending on who you follow on twitter and instagram you get a different look at things. Sure my feed is filled with GnR related info because I tend to follow all of the band members and members of their other projects along with rock writers and bloggers.

Do a Twitter search for Axl Rose... you will see nothing but Kimmel, in fact it is going to try to correct you and autofil as "Axl Rose Jimmy Kimmel" because that is apparently a pretty popular keyword search today.

I get it, everything will be find in the end, but I just wonder why nothing can go smoothly or like every other band in the world operates.

Edit: I'm done now... no need to beat a dead horse, I'll just be happy and wait for the wonderful bounty Fernando and TB are bringing us. We as a fan base do really owe a lot to them based on how the previous 2/2.5 management firms handled things. Fernando told us we would get news, we got it, and it's amazing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:03:22 PM by C0ma » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »

I get it, everything will be find in the end, but I just wonder why nothing can go smoothly or like every other band in the world operates.

"Because there is no band like Guns N' Roses"

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

Edit: I'm done now... no need to beat a dead horse, I'll just be happy and wait for the wonderful bounty Fernando and TB are bringing us. We as a fan base do really owe a lot to them based on how the previous 2/2.5 management firms handled things. Fernando told us we would get news, we got it, and it's amazing.

Agreed.

Best news in 20 years.  Best promotional strategy in 20 years.  Biggest excitement in 20 years.

It really has been a giddy feeling this past few weeks.  It's awesome.

Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »

Fair enough for your point of view. However, I can tell you that the world is exploding. I said it before the confirmation in another thread and I was indeed hoping that this time it would be true. Guess what, it is. Just enjoy the moment. Personally this is what I am doing. I can assure you that all my friends, most of them don't even care about Guns N'Roses, messaged me regarding the reunion, let alone what's going on in social medias and press. I really don't give a shit about the interview. Still, I live in Europe, I don't know how it is in the States but once again, I can tell you the world is freaking out from what's happening, even though most probably, Axl won't pop up tonight.

That said, I have never imagined when I started listening to rock n'roll and was addicted to this particular band that all should be set up and all should be written in a book and followed precisely. This is not what this kind of music is about. At least my point of view.  peace  

"...It don't really matter..."
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »

Dominic Monaghan added on Thursday's show.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »

Agreed.

Best news in 20 years.  Best promotional strategy in 20 years.  Biggest excitement in 20 years.

It really has been a giddy feeling this past few weeks.  It's awesome.

Yep yep.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

Really?

Literally the first handful of people I talked to when I walked into EMC this morning asked me about Kimmel and had no idea about the other internet related news. Depending on who you follow on twitter and instagram you get a different look at things. Sure my feed is filled with GnR related info because I tend to follow all of the band members and members of their other projects along with rock writers and bloggers.

Do a Twitter search for Axl Rose... you will see nothing but Kimmel, in fact it is going to try to correct you and autofil as "Axl Rose Jimmy Kimmel" because that is apparently a pretty popular keyword search today.

Question:  Did those same EMC folks consistently ask about, or notice, Axl's general dependability over the past 6+ years or so? No?  And, before today....what would you say their general attitude toward GnR and Axl, specifically, was?

On the search front: For Axl Rose (because, lets face it, if you're going to target Axl Rose Jimmy Kimmel, I mean...you're not actually looking at any sort of homogonized search return...of course you're going to get the cancellation news because that's the only way they've been related most recently), if I look at top results, indeed, I see lots of Kimmel.  Most of it between 12 and 15 hours old.  If I look at recent...well, of the 50 most recent tweets, I see 3 about Kimmel. And one calling Axl a piece of shit.  The rest? All about the GnR reunion and Coachella. And it all reads pretty positive.

And in the "top" results, I should add...a lot of them are just links to articles mentioning that he cancelled.  They're not hostile in any way. They're not from actual PEOPLE.

However, it's funny...when I search "Guns n Roses".....all of that pretty much disappears (I found one...from 60 min ago, from a UK news source), both from top and most recent. Odd, that, eh?

If you think this is more than a blip on the radar, that everyone will completely forget about (except those already prone to ragging on Axl, that is), if they even internalize it at all....I simply disagree.  For all the reasons I've mentioned when talking to DX about the same topic.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: