Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:07:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Shawn Lane
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shawn Lane  (Read 6830 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: February 13, 2005, 08:33:03 AM »

People on this board have been proclaiming the greatness of Shawn Lane, but i haven't been able to find any of his material... Can somebody recommend some songs of his and his band?

Fuck 'Em All.
Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:29:20 AM »

Shawn was one of the greatest musical talents of the past century, a genius yes. It's hard to find his music, simply because of the fact that it never had even the slightest mainstream-appeal. Shawn was making music on such a high level that only few people (me not included) could understand it and appreciate it (me included). I could pretend like I fully understand his adventures in music and Indian music (what the f*** do most of us now about Indian music Roll Eyes) in particular but I don't. After listening to many great guitarplayers over the past years and seeing monsterplayers like Buckethead and Malmsteen live, I do however know greatness when I hear or see it and Shawn simply is the pinnacle of that. To me his greatness was very clear when I heard his renditions of "All along the Watchtower" and other (to me) more easy digestible tunes.

You could try to get some of the tunes that are featured on his 1992 album "Powers of Ten" on which he played all instruments himself and he even recorded the album professionally. The man read between 3 and 10 books a day and therefore was capable of learning how to operate the studio equipment in like one night. Maybe it's a good idea for you to visit the site his mom and nephew are still running for him: http://www.shawnlane.com/

Good Luck!

-PEACE-

« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 10:21:37 AM by Slipdisc » Logged

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »

The man read between 3 and 10 books a day and therefore was capable of learning how to operate the studio equipment in like one night.

Now why do i doubt that?

Were these books or leaflets? hihi

I've been looking out for his stuff, i'll see if i can find that album u mentioned

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:15:58 PM »

Now why do i doubt that?

Were these books or leaflets?

LOL, no... actual books on all kinds of subjects music, politics, nature. He was an incredibly intelligent person with astonishing capabilities in both music and gathering knowledge. In the "Requiem for a Master"-article I posted recently some of his closes friends report on such matters.

I've been looking out for his stuff, i'll see if i can find that album u mentioned

That shouldn't be too difficult!

-PEACE-

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:53:35 AM »

Yeah, 3-10 books/night? I'm not too sure about that...

If someone finds anything, let me know. I've been hearing a lot about this guy, but never heard his music.
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 02:58:48 PM »

On the normally very reliable Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008G1J8/qid=1108410853/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_11_10/026-9930572-1390805

Slipdisc - I and many other on this board, you must remember, live in the shitehole that is England and decent stuff like this is often hard to find!  I bet it's easier in the USA.

I've been wanting to hear Shawn Lane for ages as well, but I'll have to rely on e-bay or something I expect.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 04:02:43 PM »

Slipdisc - I and many other on this board, you must remember, live in the shitehole that is England and decent stuff like this is often hard to find!? I bet it's easier in the USA.

LOL, I understand, but I live nearer to you then you might think. I live in in that little shithole to your right where cannabis is legal........? Wink hihi

-PEACE-

GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »

Slipdisc - I and many other on this board, you must remember, live in the shitehole that is England and decent stuff like this is often hard to find!  I bet it's easier in the USA.

LOL, I understand, but I live nearer to you then you might think. I live in in that little shithole to your right where cannabis is legal........  Wink hihi

-PEACE-

Cos of your Buckethead obsession I always assumed you were a yank.  I disagree with Holland being a shithole too!  It's very flat, must be easier for things like driing and riding a bike!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 02:55:55 PM »

Cos of your Buckethead obsession I always assumed you were a yank.

Nope, but the Dutch are crazy too ya know...

I disagree with Holland being a shithole too!? It's very flat

Well part of it is very flat.... especially the part that will be drowned by the sea somewhere around 2025 (where Amsterdam is and so on). It's a very cool country with very cool laws...? hihi

-PEACE-

Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 01:03:27 PM »

SHAWN LANE BIOGRAPHY

Born 21 Mars 1963, Memphis TN, Shawn Lane started his musical journey playing cello and piano age 4 then switched to guitar at age 8. Progressing very fast he was playing professionally in clubs and making recordings at 12. He had developed such a reputation by the time he was 14 that he got an audition and then the gig with Black Oak Arkansas. 4 years of Stadium tours sharing the bills with the likes of Ted Nugent, the Outlaws, Cheap Trick, Blue ?yster Cult, REO Speedwagon and others followed.

At 18 burnt out from touring, he quit Black Oak, got married and settled down to intensely study music for two years. During this time he played no gigs at all but was totally immersed in books and records.

After this extended vacation he started playing with various bands round the south. Between 86-89 he headed his own band the Willy's, a sort of half cover half Shawn Lane original music band. This band had a stint as the house band a the legendary Peabody Hotel in Memphis. During this time people like Kirk Hammet, George Lynch and other rock stars staying at the hotel while on tour, caught Shawn in the act and were subsequently destroyed adding to the legend of the Memphis Monster.

During these years Lane also did sessions and concerts with people like Larry Raspberry, Mark Lindsay, Robert Duval, Jimi Jamison (Survivor), Rap: DC Talk (Christian Rap), Al Kapone (Gangsta Rap), Joe Walsh, Sam and Dave, Tony Joe White, Alex Chilton.

In 1989 SL was asked to play on the Highwaymen 2 record Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson and Waylon Jennings. His work on this record led to him being signed to Warner Bros. for a solo deal.

He spent the following two years writing and recording what would become "Powers of Ten". He also recorded two instructional videos and made a US-tour to support "Powers Of Ten" in 92. In 1993-94 SL produced records for other artists and was involved in teaching and developing curriculum's for conservatories in Europe.

By the end of 1994 SL teamed up with bassist Jonas Hellborg. The two have since then recorded four albums, Abstract Logic [DEM 035] (with Kofi Baker on drums), Michael Shrieve's "Two Doors" [CMP Records],Temporal Analogues of Paradise [DEM 036], Time is the Enemy [Bardo 037] and toured throughout Europe, Asia and the US.

Shawn Lane was awarded Best New Talent in Guitar Player Magazine 1992 and placed 2nd in the best Keyboard Player category in Keyboard Player Magazine the same year.

Maybe this biography can help with finding some of his music?

-PEACE-

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »

Maybe this biography can help with finding some of his music?
Thx dude, still searching though...

Fuck 'Em All.
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 12:49:19 PM »

After skimming through my own collection like a madman, here's something for y'all to enjoy... (took me ages to find a way to convert it to mp3 and find some sort of hosting):

Shawn Lane - All Along The Watchtower (LIVE!)

1. Click (leftclick) on the link (below)
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ?FREE? download
3. You will get a download ticket (bottom of the new page)
4. After the countdown is finished the file will become available for downloading

http://rapidshare.de/files/858988/Shawn_Lane_-_All_Along_The_Watchtower__LIVE_.mp3.html

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 12:55:23 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 09:32:26 AM »

Brilliant! Man that guy can shred! ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »

I think that this next little thingie will be even more impressive...

But first things first: I got this next file from the ?The Memphis Monster? Shawn Lane fan forum, it was posted by one of their members called kabuki.

The fact that the greatest guitarplayer ever died, without the majority of people ever knowing about him, is already a tragedy in itself. This leads me to thinking that the peeps over there don?t mind me posting this clip here (and spreading the word on Lane). So I hope you will enjoy SEEING the Master play "Purple Haze", it?s breathtaking (!!!), his playing is beyond anything I've ever seen:

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3964RORKE6JIO2JYFM2UY4KJIX

To everybody:
Please don't click the second link on the site, so everybody can enjoy....

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 01:15:14 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 04:18:22 PM »

Finally (!) - i found someone who sells his stuff! What album should i go for - and at the price he's selling them it will be just the one, he has albums i haven't seen in this thread too....

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 04:58:31 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »

Well, I guess that the must-have Lane album will always be "Powers of Ten"....

I uploaded two of his clips again:
?

Here's a video of him playing "Purple Haze":
http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36SDXV1H25D1F09LMMJJFJ7XSU? ?(hands down one of the most impressive things I've ever seen)

And here's another one:
http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FI0XUXID6E043FT0W2F74U6QV

Just click the first link in the new page (please don't click te second link, cause the file will be removed).

Enjoy!

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 06:21:24 PM by Slipdisc » Logged

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 02:12:18 AM »

Just downloaded the Shawn Lane 'Power Licks' Instructional video. It's got a few songs from his 'Powers of 10' album as well as some incredible shredding... He talks a lot about music theory ( i didn't understand a word!  crying). Check it out...  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 01:59:02 PM »

Shawn Lane on stage with Black Oak Arkansas, while being only sixteen years old

-PEACE-

Evolution
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »

1st off thanks for posting

2nd off........fuck!! he was incredible and only 16  Shocked
Slipdisc
VIP

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »

You're welcome, glad you liked it!!

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's unhuman.... Shawn was in a league of his own. 

-PEACE-

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: