Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 02:39:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Ozzfest 2005-Ozzfest Ends, More Details On DVD Released
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ozzfest 2005-Ozzfest Ends, More Details On DVD Released  (Read 51218 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2005, 09:48:44 AM »

The Daily Texan spoke this week with Tim Lambesis, bandleader of Ozzfest second-stage act AS I LAY DYING, about the tour thus far, their new album, and the bitter feud between IRON MAIDEN's Bruce Dickinson and Sharon Osbourne. An excerpt from the chat follows:

The Daily Texan: I actually just read from Ozzfest.com that the lead singer of IRON MAIDEN [Bruce Dickinson] was causing some commotion on the tour, belittling the audience and questioning Ozzy's credibility.

Tim Lambesis: "Of course that's their side of it. For me, I think it went both ways. Sharon Osbourne also came on stage in front of 40,000 people and called him a prick. So both sides acted childish, creating this high school drama. I'm not going to choose sides, but they were both at fault."

The Daily Texan: IN FLAMES leads what could be deemed a Swedish metal invasion that includes THE HAUNTED, ARCH ENEMY and SOILWORK. Has that changed the environment for the bands at Ozzfest, like AS I LAY DYING, that are the leaders of this new sound and style in American metalcore?

Tim Lambesis: "In my opinion, that style of guitar with the heavy harmonies and layering has been around since IRON MAIDEN. What I think Swedish metal has done is taken that and made it into something much more aggressive. I think American metal has added a whole other step, though, that brings in those hardcore influences and breakdowns. If someone is a fan of metal as a genre, the energy and aggression, they're going to find something they enjoy in our music. We're really proud of the new record and the way it was able to blend some melody with the metal."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2005, 09:52:08 AM »

The U.K.'s The Sun Online paper spoke to IRON MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson about the group's ill-fated final Ozzfest performance in San Berardino and their future plans. Read on:

The Sun Online: Why is Reading so special?

Bruce Dickinson: "It's where I was asked to join the band and it's also the first festival I ever went to in my life and also played. And this year it will be a big one, I promise and yes we'll be nervous."

The Sun Online: You're playing just the four albums on this tour because of "The Early Years" DVD Part One? Will there be a Part Two?

Bruce Dickinson: "Yes, Part Two will be based around 'Live After Death' and 'Powerslave' and 'Somewhere in Time' and we have started working on it. The plan is to do what will be our biggest, most spectacular tour we have ever done. The 'Powerslave' era was the one that had all the toys. It had the massive Eddie, the huge mechanical hands and Ancient Egypt. And we want to recreate the whole deal."

The Sun Online: You've ridden out every rock music trend and almost every band throughout has cited you as an influence. Why?

Bruce Dickinson: "Yes that's weird isn't it? It's because we've never compromised. MAIDEN is about loyalty and pride and doing what you believe in and sticking with your beliefs. It's a bit like people who follow football teams. They sign up for a football team and support them all their lives even if they lose. That's us, and our fans are part of our gang."

The Sun Online: Ozzfest, Reading and Leeds are all about new fans. Why are they important?

Bruce Dickinson: "People who are as old as I am are generally not that fun to play to. I know there'll be people reading this saying 'It's not true,' but 47-year-olds don't rock like 15-year-olds. They go absolutely mental and that's what keeps us going. We are playing songs approaching 25 years old and yet we have the youngest audience."

The Sun Online: So what happened when you went on stage at Ozzfest?

Bruce Dickinson: "We were hit by a co-ordinated barrage of bottle tops, lighters and eggs from a certain section at the front! Then the power for the PA and backline was completely pulled three or four times during songs. The band held it all together incredibly though and we just got really pumped up. It ended up being an amazing show. MAIDEN can pretty much deal with anything. We don?t get fazed too easily."

The Sun Online: Who do you think was behind it all?

Bruce Dickinson: "Everyone knows it's Sharon Osbourne. It's certainly not Ozzy or SABBATH ? they have too much class to condone stunts like that. She hates me for making remarks about reality TV. I hate reality TV. People should get off their arses and do stuff and not be so voyeuristic."

The Sun Online: Her stunts seemed to backfire as you played a magnificent set and soon after, thousands walked out in disgust?

Bruce Dickinson: "We left for the airport pretty well straight after we came off but we could tell there were a lot of disgusted fans who had paid good money to see us. The audience was incredibly behind us all the way and they really lifted us. If they hadn't been happy, there may have been a riot as those fans were really disgusted with the cowardly attacks."

The Sun Online: Did you enjoy the Rockwalk of Fame presentation and what does it mean to you?

Bruce Dickinson: "Well it's very American but behind it there are all these fans that are really into it and have all turned up. It's great. We are very proud of that day, though we ended up with filthy hands. It was great that Eddie rightfully got a handprint too."

The Sun Online: You left the band in 1993. Is it something you regret?

Bruce Dickinson: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing. When I left I had no intention of coming back but in the intervening period, I ended up becoming a much better singer than I was before, certainly live. And coming back into the band I had a hell of lot more energy than in the two or years before I left and I stayed with it. I also came back with a determination that I'm never going to walk on stage again doing something I don't want to do as it's soul-destroying and eats you up."

The Sun Online: How does MAIDEN fit in with family life?

Bruce Dickinson: "Well, we get to run around like a lunatic and play music and my kids can come and watch. My 15- and 13-year-olds were in the front row at our New York gig, in the mosh pit. I suddenly saw these four security guards jump in and hold someone down. I thought they had my kids but then I looked and saw their little faces, sweating and screaming and I was ready to dive in."

The Sun Online: And next for MAIDEN?

Bruce Dickinson: "We have the live album 'Death on the Road' out on Monday with a DVD to follow and then we record the new studio album next spring, which will be out next autumn. First we have the special fundraising Hammersmith Odeon show next week. It's for our old drummer Clive Burr's Multiple Sclerosis Trust Fund. I'm really looking forward to it. It will top off an amazing year which included a show in Sweden, where we played to 56,000 and were broadcast live to 20million people."

The Sun Online: And next for you?

Bruce Dickinson: "I go back to my 6 Music radio show and my job as an airline pilot. It's a proper, straightforward, regular job. I had to book holidays for the tour. I was straight off stage at Ozzfest to hightail it to LAX airport."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »

According to the Star-Telegram, new DROWING POOL singer Ryan McCombs (formerly of SOIL) did an "adequate job" covering the group's four-year-old songs such as "Sinner" during the band's debut live appearance with McCombs at yesterday's Ozzfest in Dallas, Texas. However, during their 20-minute set, "the band never acknowledged the obvious ? folks, here's our new singer ? which was supposedly the whole point," according to Star-Telegram writer Teresa Gubbins.

McCombs joined DROWNING POOL as the replacement for Jason "Gong" Jones, who left the band in early June. The revamped group are expected to begin recording their third album later in the year for an early 2006 release via Wind-Up Records.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2005, 01:58:58 PM »

Props to that Lambesis guy for not sucking up to cunt Sharon.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »

I love MAIDEN but he's talking about the godfather of my son, he's bagging America and all the troops are fighting overseas defending our way of life and freedom and fighting terrorism. This dickwad's taking American money and then he's gonna go home. At the same time he thinks he can badmouth America. It's not cool. He got pelted with a batch of eggs and they turned the power off on him! Go home!"
Wow. Years of being around Ozzy have have made this guy a passive coke fuckup!

Show me where Bruce or Maiden have been 'bagging' (whatever that is, Mister Testicular Fortitude of Cast Iron Grin) America or 'all the troops are fighting overseas defending our way of life and freedom and fighting terrorism' (TM)
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2005, 07:33:34 PM »

They haven't at all.  But Sharon and Zakk realize that no one is behind them on this one, so they're trying to make some shit up to try to get people on their side.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »

They are both pathetics, even though I like BLS I think that's really low class.  no

No man can be my equal
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »

thats the stupid guy thy sabotage Iron Maiden stage, what a looser.

I got it from Ross halfin web page. Heres the link:
http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/ironmaiden/ironmaiden15.html

No man can be my equal
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2005, 02:36:49 PM »

I think that loser is disrespecting America far more than Iron Maiden ever has.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »

Yeah but I think that Maiden and Bruce didn't disrespect America in any way. So I think that the only moron is the guy in the picture.

No man can be my equal
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2005, 06:02:57 PM »

Right...well him and Sharon.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2005, 08:29:01 PM »

well that dudes shorts are too short for a fat fuck like him!

html sucks
Mr. Dick Purple
Legend

« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2005, 09:16:06 PM »

Well now that you say it, you're right, it looks kinda scary right now  nervous

No man can be my equal
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2005, 08:11:39 AM »

OZZY OSBOURNE will be issuing a separate version of Disc 4 ("Under Covers") of his recently issued box set, "Prince of Darkness", on November 1, 2005 via Sony. The DualDisc release will contain nine tracks that were previously released on the "Prince" box set, plus four brand new cover tunes.

The first side of every DualDisc contains a full-length audio album while the DVD side features a wide range of exclusive content such as the same album in enhanced sound (such as 5.1 Surround Sound or enhanced LPCM stereo), music videos, interviews, photo galleries, web links, concert footage, lyrics and more. DualDiscs play on existing CD and DVD hardware devices such as DVD players, car stereos, PCs, game consoles and CD players.

"Under Covers" track listing:

01. Rock Mountain Way (JOE WALSH)
02. In My Life (THE BEATLES)
03. Mississippi Queen (MOUNTAIN)
04. Go Now (MOODY BLUES)
05. Woman (JOHN LENNON)
06. 21st Century Schizoid Man (KING CRIMSON)
07. All the Young Dudes (MOTT THE HOPPLE)
08. For What It's Worth (BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD)
09. Good Times (ERIC BURDON)
10. Sunshine of Your Love (Cream)
11. Fire (ARTHUR BROWN)
12. Working Class Hero (JOHN LENNON)
13. Sympathy for the Devil (ROLLING STONES)

The DVD portion will include an exclusive program of Ozzy telling tales of his storied career, which will be titled "My Dinner With Ozzy."

Unfortunately, two songs which were previously expected to appear on this release ? "How" (JOHN LENNON) and "Hi Ho Silver Lining" (JEFF BECK) ? may never see the light of day.

Looking forward to hearing Rocky Mountain Way

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »

Sharon Osbourne spoke exclusively to Kerrang! magazine (web site) last week regading IRON MAIDEN's final performance on this year's Ozzfest tour, during which she cut MAIDEN's power and arranged to have the band pelted with eggs and debris from the crowd. A couple of excerpts from the interview follow:

Kerrang!: Reading between the lines of [IRON MAIDEN manager] Rod Smallwood's statement, the unspoken suggestion is that you orchestrated this whole thing...

Sharon Osbourne: "Of course I did. I had the PA turned on and off. And look it's not hard for someone to walk into a diehard Ozzfest crowd and say, 'Who wants to throw an egg at a rock star?' Who wouldn't wanna do that? I went out and bought 50 eggs and me and my daughter had a fucking blast. C'mon, it's rock 'n' roll. No-one died. They'll be waiting a long fucking time for an apology from me."

Kerrang!: The most astonishing thing about all this is that the metal world has always had such camaraderie, such a "one for all, all for one" attitude...

Sharon Osbourne: "It has, right? But for some reason Bruce Dickinson [IRON MAIDEN singer] seemed to view it as a battle of the bands. He'd stand up on that stage and say that this wasn't the Ozzfest anymore, it was MAIDEN-fest. How fucking disrespectful is that? He's got such an '80s mentality. He's up there saying, 'Fuck MTV and fuck radio and you wouldn't catch IRON MAIDEN doing a reality show' and it's like, 'Hang on, you're a shareholder in Sanctuary, which is one of the biggest corporations in the music business.' He's never said a word about SABBATH either, only Ozzy, so it's personal. We've had 220 bands play this tour over the last 10 years and I've never felt the need to egg anyone."

Kerrang!: Up to this point you?re being painted as the "Wicked Witch" here, Sharon...

Sharon Osbourne: "I'm as nice as can be to people until they fuck with me and my family. I've always said that. I'm surprised that after everything that's been reported about how protective I am of my husband that anyone would even be shocked by this."

Kerrang!: Saying things like this could make this run and run...

Sharon Osbourne: "Not for me. We have Ozzfest shows to do so I'm not thinking about this anymore. Bruce Dickhead doesn't exist to me anymore."

Sharon Osbourne's entire interview with Kerrang! can be found in the magazine's latest issue, out on the stands tomorrow (August 31).

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »

She thinks she's so fucking amazing.  If she never sunk her claws into Ozzy she'd be an old, no-name, slutty bitch.  This year Ozzfest WAS Maidenfest.  Ozzy didn't even fucking play half the fucking shows, and when he did play he downright sucked.  Maiden put on an amazing show every single night, they were getting all the credit, they were getting all the critical acclaim, and cunt Sharon couldn't stand to be upstaged.  And since when is Sanctuary one of the biggest companies in the business?  They're not too far from completely going under.  Maiden's one of the few acts on the label that bring in decent revenue.  Someone needs to slap the taste out of that bitches mouth.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2005, 11:25:18 AM »

Sharon Osbourne spoke exclusively to Kerrang! magazine (web site) last week (as reported here yesterday) regarding IRON MAIDEN's final performance on this year's Ozzfest tour, during which she cut MAIDEN's power and arranged to have the band pelted with eggs and debris from the crowd. Several more excerpts from the interview follow:

Kerrang!: Reading between the lines of [IRON MAIDEN manager] Rod Smallwood's statement, the unspoken suggestion is that you orchestrated this whole thing...

Sharon Osbourne: "Of course I did. I had the PA turned on and off. And look it's not hard for someone to walk into a diehard Ozzfest crowd and say, 'Who wants to throw an egg at a rock star?' Who wouldn't wanna do that? I went out and bought 50 eggs and me and my daughter had a fucking blast. C'mon, it's rock 'n' roll. No-one died. They'll be waiting a long fucking time for an apology from me."

Kerrang!: Smallwood's statement describes the incident as "dangerous" and "unprofessional"...

Sharon Osbourne: "Well, here's unprofessional for you: our Ozzfest show in San Bernadino is always a big deal. And because it's a special show we wanted to add SLIPKNOT to the bill, which meant that we would have to cut the time from everyone's set so that we wouldn't over-run the curfew. But Monkey Boy (Bruce Dickinson) isn't having it, and so he's onstage going, 'We won't play 55 minutes, fuck that, we're playing 65!' Now that sounds good to the kids out front ? they're not gonna understand about a curfew ? but of course if IRON MAIDEN plays 10 minutes more, then BLACK SABBATH get 10 minutes less of their show, and I'm not going to have that on our own fucking tour.

"I'd say Bruce Dickinson has been unprofessional in the way he's behaved from day one. He's been complaining that the PA isn't loud enough, complaining about MTV, complaining that my husband does reality shows, complaining about the prices of the tickets, on and on. Fuck him. He didn't even speak to Ozzy once on the whole tour. I mean, Ozzfest ticket prices are expensive but we haven't raised the ticket prices for three years even though, with inflation. All the costs in putting on a show like this rise. If Monkey Boy hated the tour so much why didn't he leave it? I've been paying his wages for four weeks. He didn't seem to have any problem pocketing the $180,000 cheques that me and my husband were writing for the band for every night ? that could have stayed in my pocket. Me and my husband built up this tour over 10 years with blood, sweat and tears. I'm not having anyone fuck with that."

Kerrang!: The most astonishing thing about all this is that the metal world has always had such camaraderie, such a "one for all, all for one" attitude...

Sharon Osbourne: "It has, right? But for some reason Bruce Dickinson seemed to view it as a battle of the bands. He'd stand up on that stage and say that this wasn't the Ozzfest anymore, it was MAIDEN-fest. How fucking disrespectful is that? He's got such an '80s mentality. He's up there saying, 'Fuck MTV and fuck radio and you wouldn't catch IRON MAIDEN doing a reality show' and it's like, 'Hang on, you're a shareholder in Sanctuary, which is one of the biggest corporations in the music business.' He's never said a word about SABBATH either, only Ozzy, so it's personal. We've had 220 bands play this tour over the last 10 years and I've never felt the need to egg anyone."

Kerrang!: Did you confront Bruce personally about this?

Sharon Osbourne: "No, I didn't want to give Monkey Boy the satisfaction of thinking that he'd annoyed Ozzy. The truth is that Ozzy never heard a single note of IRON MAIDEN's shows, most nights he wasn't on site when the band took the stage. My husband is a prince. And you know what, he had nothing to do with this. He wouldn't stoop to something like this, but I'm a fucking bitch and I have no problem with it.

"Let's face it, the guy is a failed solo singer who's gone back to his band after his solo career failed. I don't know how many albums his last solo albums old in England but in America it sold 6,000 copies. Every solo album my husband puts out goes platinum. Look, tell you what, you take a picture of my husband and a photo of Monkey Boy down to (London's) Regent Street now and see who people recognize. There's no fucking question, is there? And that's what it boils down to: Jealousy. Bruce Dickinson isn't my husband's peer. There wouldn't be an IRON MAIDEN if there was no SABBATH."

Kerrang!: And you didn't say anything to their management either?

Sharon Osbourne: "No, I have no problem with their management. After we did the first show in Boston, I had an email from Rod Smallwood saying that Bruce was concerned that the front rows of the audience weren't really MAIDEN fans and so I kept a couple of rows of seats clear every night so that we could bring in MAIDEN fans in MAIDEN T-shirts to make the band feel comfortable. I was the mug who did this for four weeks. And then this is how Monkey Boy repays me."

Kerrang!: From the outside it looked like the tour had been quite amicable, particularly as MAIDEN was stepping in to headline when Ozzy had to cancel some appearances...

Sharon Osbourne: "Yes, they were happy to do that when they were given an extra $100,000 a night! We could have had ROB ZOMBIE close the show. MAIDEN are a great band, but the truth is that they have never cracked America, like Ozzy has. At MAIDEN's last two L.A. shows they played to something like 15,000 people over two nights: We gave them a platform to perform to 46,000 people in Los Angeles, and that's a wonderful opportunity. And I knew they were looking forward to it. So I was like, 'Oh, you're really looking forward to being back in L.A., are you?' Well this is where you learn you don't fuck with me..."

Kerrang!: Up to this point you're being painted as the "Wicked Witch" here, Sharon...

Sharon Osbourne: "I'm as nice as can be to people until they fuck with me and my family. I've always said that. I'm surprised that after everything that's been reported about how protective I am of my husband that anyone would even be shocked by this."

Kerrang!: Was there any comment from the MAIDEN camp after the show? It's been reported that Steve Harris apologized...

Sharon Osbourne: "Steve Harris came into apologize to Ozzy before he went onstage and he was lovely. I mean, the band are gentlemen, really down-t-earth, lovely guys. Their singer is just a liability and they can't be responsible for that. He's got a great voice but he's obviously been sucking Ronnie James Dio's cock for singing lessons. He goes on about being a pilot and a swordsman and an author and whatever - does he think he's better than everyone else? If he's such a swordsman maybe he should have fenced the eggs out of his way! I should have thrown bananas..."

Kerrang!: Your daughter Kelly is on Sanctuary Records (owned by MAIDEN's management): Isn't this going to create tension?

Sharon Osbourne: "What, they're gonna drop her because she threw a fucking egg? I don't think so. What's Kelly gonna do, walk up to Monkey Boy and ask for an autograph because he's been such a big influence on her musically? Ask if she can do a duet on 'Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter'? Fuck off."

Kerrang!: Rod Smallwood's statement brings up another point which is that regardless of any personal fueds between the two camps, the people who really suffered where the people who bought tickets for the show.

Sharon Osbourne: "Come on, a bit of egg isn't gonna spoil a rock show for someone standing at the back of a 46,000 strong crowd. Everyone got a show they'll remember for the rest of their lives. If I was at that show I'd want to keep the ticket stub because it'll go down in history."

Kerrang!: Doesn't this kind of incident make you think, 'Fuck it, I just don't need this grief anymore'?

Sharon Osbourne: "No, not at all. Because he's not here anymore so it's fine. He can go back to Chiswick and wash the peanut butter out of his hair and sit in the pub and talk about having a wank. But he'd better watch out that he doesn't run into my son at Reading. Jack would give him one kick in the head and that'd be that. But you know what the irony is? Jack wouldn't know Monkey Boy if he fell over him in the street..."

Kerrang!: Saying things like this could make this run and run...

Sharon Osbourne: "Not for me. We have Ozzfest shows to do so I'm not thinking about this anymore. Bruce Dickhead doesn't exist to me anymore."

Sharon Osbourne's interview with Kerrang! can be found in the magazine's latest issue, out on the stands today (August 31).

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #217 on: September 03, 2005, 10:27:05 AM »

For the final night of this summer's Ozzfest, the tour and promoter have joined forces with the Red Cross to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Volunteers from the Red Cross will be on hand accepting cash donations at this Sunday's (September 4) show at the Sound Advice Amphitheater in West Palm Beach, Florida.

"Florida is a state which has been affected over the years by hurricane devastation and we're hoping that everyone can open their hearts and help their neighbors throughout the Gulf Coast," said Ozzfest organizers.

For those not in attendance, donations can also be made via the Red Cross web site (www.redcross.org).

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has no problem organizing his priorities. So when Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne called him early this year and told him they wanted Black Sabbath to headline the 2005 Ozzfest, he postponed plans to tour with his own band, Iommi, in order to head back to the stage with Sabbath.However, by committing so resolutely to Sabbath, Iommi has been unable to support the recent release of his second solo album, Fused, a granite-solid slab that sounds more like a groove-saturated cross between Deep Purple and Audioslave than anything by Sabbath.

Fittingly enough, Iommi was joined on the record by ex-Deep Purple singer/bassist Glenn Hughes (who sang with Sabbath in the '80s), session drummer extraordinaire Kenny Aronoff and bassist/keyboardist Bob Marlette, who also produced the disc and co-wrote all of the songs. Now that Ozzfest is done, Iommi and his bandmates plan to hit the rehearsal studio, then tour to support Fused.

"I'm really looking forward to playing onstage with these guys," Iommi said on a down day from Ozzfest. "Kenny and Glenn have lots of enthusiasm and they certainly push me when we're all playing together, which is great."

Incidentally, if you had asked Iommi two years ago what he hoped to be doing in 2005, he'd have said he wanted to be promoting a new Black Sabbath album, not a new Iommi disc. At the time, Sabbath were in the studio in Wales working on new material. But progress was slow, and by the time the bandmembers went their separate ways, they had ideas for about only six songs ? ideas that have been gathering dust since then. At present, Black Sabbath have no plans to return to the studio to record those or any other songs.

"I've waited around a long time to do a Sabbath album, and it's getting frustrating," Iommi said. "I'm getting bored with the idea of waiting around any longer and I've got a lot of music to put out and I just want to do it. I wanted to go and really work on being in a band. So basically, that motivated me into making an album with Glenn and Kenny. It's a great band and a great outlet."

Iommi and Marlette started writing songs for Fused more than a year ago at Iommi's studio in Warwickshire, England. Then, when Hughes and the guitarist got together to finish up the nearly decade-old recordings that were released last year on The DEP Sessions: 1996, the onetime Sabbath bandmates decided to pen some new tunes as well. "I just played Glenn some riffs and we started making things up right away," Iommi recalled. "It was amazing ? I'd come up with a part and by the time it was ready, he'd have two or three different melodies for it. Then I played him a couple of the tracks I did with Bob and he really liked them, so we worked with those, too."

Next, Iommi and Hughes called in Aronoff and Marlette and recorded Fused in about six weeks late last winter, mostly at studios in Wales and London. Instead of laying down the guitar, bass and keyboard tracks separately and then doing overdubs and vocals, the musicians rehearsed the songs thoroughly, then recorded them with everyone playing at the same time.

"We wanted it to have the same feel as a band playing live," Iommi said. "It all fell into place very quickly, almost too quickly. It was so simple. I'd love to do another album with these guys because they're all so good to work with. With Black Sabbath, we take a really long time over rehearsals and pulling ideas together. And we tend to rehearse for two or three hours and then that's it. But with Glenn and Kenny, we'll be in there playing for a full six hours and we'll want to keep going."

Even though he's eager to start touring for Fused, Iommi said it was no sacrifice to postpone those plans for Ozzfest. Ozzy recently announced that this summer was the last Ozzfest he will headline, although he may play occasional shows in the future (see "Ozzy Retires As Ozzfest Headliner: 'It's Time For Me To Move On' "). "We really get into it," he said. "I go for walks with [drummer] Bill [Ward] and we talk about the band and the shows and our lives. It's a good vibe. The only unfortunate thing is when we have to cancel shows, which is really disappointing. Ozzy's had a problem with his throat recently. He had to fly back to see a specialist in Los Angeles and he was as upset as anybody. But it's one of things you can't do anything about. If his voice goes, it goes. What can you do?"

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2005, 03:57:43 PM »

Gossip columnist Jeannette Walls of MSNBC is reporting that that Playboy magazine recently asked Ozzy Osbourne ? a veritable connoisseur of rehab centers ? which ones he liked and didn't.

"Betty Ford is a good one. And a place called Promises, in Malibu, which is like a [bleeping] Hollywood camp resort for wealthy [bleeping] lunatics," Osbourne tells the October issue of the mag. "Hazelden, in Minnesota, is a really hard one. They do not [bleep] around. I checked out because it scared me. They use a thing called tough love, where they're like 'You [bleeping] piece of [bleep]!' I was like, 'I felt like a piece of [bleep] before. That's why I am paying you all this money. You don't need to tell me every day.'"

When asked what he thinks of the rumored possibility that Colin Farrell will play him in a movie, Osbourne responded, "Who the [bleep] is Colin Farrell?"

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: