Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227852 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Live 8
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live 8  (Read 27507 times)
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« on: May 29, 2005, 10:46:37 AM »

Well I was reading about it today do you reckon they can do it in time and I also heard that Pink Floyd are rumored to reform to put they're differences aside for the night and play Live Aid II any thoughts on this people?

EEEERRRR Little boy
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 11:02:55 AM »

Well I was reading about it today do you reckon they can do it in time and I also heard that Pink Floyd are rumored to reform to put they're differences aside for the night and play Live Aid II any thoughts on this people?

I've always been baffled why its taken 20 years just to organise a concert confused

Bands are always looking for ways to disguise the fact they are money grabbing unprincipled morons - should have been pretty easy to trick them into it

Pink Floyd reforming? No chance. Maybe Axl will join them on stage hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »

I have to agree with Izzy on the Pink Floyd reunion, not gonna happen

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 08:14:06 PM »

I think managment of Pink Floyd have already squashed that rumor, no reunion and no touring in the future yet. I hope that changes fast though Smiley
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 08:17:14 PM »

Bob Geldof  and Midge Ure , co-founders the 1985 Live Aid charity concert, have confirmed that they are planning a long-rumored benefit concert to fight poverty in Africa.

During Thursday's (5/26) Ivor Novello songwriting awards ceremony in London, Geldof reportedly said that the concert won't be billed as Live Aid 2.

"There's never going to be a Live Aid II, but there's something brewing," Geldof said, according to the Associated Press. "It's big. And it's as petrifying as the build up to Live Aid, if not more so. We'll have all the biggest names we can find. But it's not just about big names, it's about making a point."

Though Geldof wouldn't confirm specifics, the show is rumored to be taking place in early July in London's Hyde Park, shortly before a G8 summit of the world's richest nations takes place in Scotland.

Live Aid was held July 13, 1985 to raise funds for Ethiopian famine relief. Satellite links connected the main Live Aid concerts at London's Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia's JFK Stadium. Performers included U2, Eric Clapton, The Who, Elton John, Santana, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, The Cars, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Madonna, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Sting, Phil Collins and Bob Dylan, among many others.

The Live Aid concerts and related materials, including albums, television specials and videos, raised an estimated $245 million for famine relief, organizers have claimed.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 07:01:00 AM »

Acts allegedly lined up to play include the Rolling Stones, U2, Keane, Joss Stone and a reformed Spice Girls. rofl

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:46:57 PM »

Geldof announces Live 8 acts

LONDON (Reuters) - Madonna, U2 and Coldplay will be among the star acts at the Live 8 concert in London to raise awareness about global poverty, organiser Bob Geldof said on Tuesday.

Elton John, Robbie Williams, Scissor Sisters and Joss Stone were also named in the line up for the July 2nd concert.

Geldof announced plans for Live 8, a global concert, to repeat the success of the 1985 Live Aid event which raised millions of pounds for African famine relief.

Live 8 will be held in Hyde Park to coincide with a summit in Scotland of the Group of Eight leading industrial nations as a way of pressuring world leaders to act on global poverty.

Four other concerts will be held in Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin and Rome on the same day.

The first Live Aid concert was held at Wembley Stadium with a line-up including U2, Queen, Paul McCartney and David Bowie.

The event was organised by former Boomtown Rats singer Geldof, who has become a leading advocate for global poverty relief and is behind the plans for a second concert.

A spokesman for the charity organisers have said they are speaking to Oasis and Irish rockers U2 about appearing at the concert.

Organisers are also in talks with the Spice Girls, who could perform together for the first time since Geri Halliwell walked out of the group in 1998.

----

From NME.com:

The confirmed line-up so far runs:

London

Coldplay
The Killers
Velvet Revolver
Bob Geldof
The Cure
Mariah Carey
Dido
Keane
Snow Patrol
Elton John
Annie Lennox
Madonna
Paul McCartney
Razorlight
Snoop Dogg
Sting
U2
Joss Stone
Stereophonics
REM
Scissor Sisters
Muse
Robbie Williams

Philadelphia

Will Smith
Bon Jovi
The Dave Matthews Band
Stevie Wonder
Jay-Z
Puff Daddy
Il Divo
Maroon 5
Rob Thomas
Keith Urban
50 Cent
Kaiser Chiefs

Rome

Faith Hill
Tim McGraw
Duran Duran
Jovan Otti
Nek
Laura Pausini
Vasco Rossi
Zucchero

Berlin

A-Ha
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Lauryn Hill
Brian Wilson
Bap
Die Toten Hosen
Peter Maffay

Paris

Jamiroquai
Placebo
Youssou N'Dour
Andrea Docelli
Craig David
Calo Gero
Kyo
Yannick Noah
Axelle Red
Johnny Halliday

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »

VR added as well dunno if they are playing in London though

EEEERRRR Little boy
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:48:08 PM »

I was actually hopin that VR weren't goin to be asked to do it (although I'm a big fan of them) cos it pretty much rules out the chance of Axl acceptin to play. Guess we'll have to wait a little while longer til we see uncle Axl again.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »

Theys should have like one show in each country or somehting..Like one in Europe,One in American,One in CANADA (so i can see it) and so0meowhere else

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 02:37:27 PM »

Ok, I haven't figured it out yet.... Live "8"?  Why 8??  They are playing in 5 cities?  What does the 8 signify?
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 03:47:14 PM »

I think more will be added Huh

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 04:00:33 PM »

Ok, I haven't figured it out yet.... Live "8"?? Why 8??? They are playing in 5 cities?? What does the 8 signify?

Because the G8 leaders are gonna meet in Scotland?

LIVE 8 is part of a day of action across the world which kick-starts The Long Walk to Justice that calls on the leaders of the world?s richest countries to act when they meet in Gleneagles on 6th-9th July. On July 2nd in London, Edinburgh, Washington, Berlin, Paris and Rome millions will be coming together to call for complete debt cancellation, more and better aid and trade justice for the world?s poorest people.

LIVE 8 is calling for people across the world to unite in one call ? in 2005 it is your voice we are after, not your money.

http://www.live8live.com

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 04:39:51 PM »

it's amusing that most people tend to be concerned with which bands are going to be there and not why they are organising these concerts...a stark contrast to the original Live Aid concert as i recall

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 04:51:31 PM »

it's amusing that most people tend to be concerned with which bands are going to be there and not why they are organising these concerts...a stark contrast to the original Live Aid concert as i recall

I find it amusing that the people trying to find out what the concert is for are looked down on by the good samaritans who are already aware.  At least we both get a laugh.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »

London's gonna be a pretty good show. Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 03:43:26 PM »

Ottawa confirmed as host of Live 8 concert
CTV.ca News Staff

The city of Ottawa is planning to host a Live 8 concert on July 2, CTV News has learned.

The concert will likely be held on Parliament Hill and may include such artists as Bryan Adams, The Barenaked Ladies, Jann Arden, and Our Lady Peace.

At the moment, five other cities are lined up to host a Live 8 concert: London, Paris, Berlin, Philadelphia and Rome.

The aim of the simultaneous concerts, organized by Sir Bob Geldof, is to focus world attention on poverty in Africa. They will take place days before G8 leaders meet in Britain.

There has been talk of holding a concert in each of the G8 countries but so far there are no plans for concerts in Japan and Russia.

The concerts are free and are not intended to raise funds. Instead, they are meant to press the world's wealthiest countries to do more to fight famine in Africa.

"We don't want people's money. We want them,'' Geldof explained at a news conference earlier this week.

Artists participating in the events include Madonna, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Coldplay, Duran Duran, Sting and Sarah McLachlan.

The concerts come 20 years after Live Aid was held on July 13, 1985. Back then, two concerts were held simultaneously in London and Philadelphia and raised tens of millions of dollars for famine relief in Ethiopia.

Those performing in London for Live 8 include Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Muse, the Scissor Sisters, Paul McCartney, Joss Stone, Stereophonics, Sting, Snoop, Robbie Williams, U2 and REM.

Fans will enter a lottery by cell phone text message to obtain a ticket.

In Philadelphia, acts performing will include McLachlan, Will Smith, the Dave Matthews Band, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder, Puff Daddy and Jay-Z.

Among artists scheduled for Berlin are A-Ha, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Lauryn Hill and Brian Wilson.

The concert in Rome will feature musicians including Faith Hill and Duran Duran. In Paris, Jamiroquai, Craig David, Youssou N'Dour and Yannick Noah will be among those taking part.

I'm glad that Canada got involved... and also that its a short trip up the street for me to catch the show.
Axls Locomotive
VIP

Peelin' the bitch off my back

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 04:10:40 PM »

I find it amusing that the people trying to find out what the concert is for are looked down on by the good samaritans who are already aware.  At least we both get a laugh.

i meant no offence dude, my comments werent really aimed at people here, more to do with the media, newspapers, radio etc...

""Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind"
(Winston Churchill)"
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »

Thats sweet Canada is in it now..Definetly wanna see that show..How do you get a ticket though?Somethign about cell phone text?

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »

The website says that the text-messaging is only for the London show... there aren't any details about the other shows.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: