Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227915 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Live 8
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live 8  (Read 27759 times)
Jamie
VIP

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 05:50:15 AM »

Yeah man, the whole thing this time round aint about raising money, it's about raising awareness and letting the leaders at the G8 summit know that there are millions of people putting pressure on them to make the right decision and cancel world debt.
slash4ever
Rocker

One In A Million

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »

It was on the news dat Bob G. didn't want the spice girls to be there coz they weren't famous enough.
(Yeah right) Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 03:32:44 PM by slash4ever » Logged

What's so civil about war anyway?
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 09:39:12 AM »

By CORINNE ABRAMS

POP star Damon Albarn has launched an attack on Live 8, claiming concert organisers are portraying Africa as a "failing" place.

The Blur and Gorillaz star also slammed the lack of black stars on the bill.

And he called on performers to prove they were not in it for themselves by pressuring their record labels to give cash from increased sales to the cause.

Asked on BBC Radio 4?s Today programme if he would be taking part, he said: "No. I am not. I haven?t even been asked.

"I don?t want to take part in an event that is so exclusive. Is this the most effective way to help Africa?"

He said the lack of black artists was "the greatest oversight" and
undermined the whole project.

"This country is incredibly diverse. More than ever, black culture is an
integral part of society, so why is the bill so damn Anglo-Saxon?

"If you are holding a party on behalf of people, then surely you don?t shut the door on them.

"It?s insensitive and it also perpetuates this idea that Africa is separated
in some way.

"In a way Live 8 does that: it doesn?t make you feel closer to Africa, it
treats it like it?s a failing, ill, sick, tired place.

"My personal experience of Africa is that yes, I have witnessed all those things there, but it?s incredibly sophisticated - the society and the structure of people?s lives is as sophisticated, if not more sophisticated in some ways, than in the West."

Asked what more the artists could do, he said: "Surely there should be some kind of tariff on the record companies.

"It is without question that all the artists that play there will enjoy
increased record sales.

"I would feel more comfortable if I felt there was a discussion and that the artists were putting pressure on their record labels to genuinely show that this is an altruistic act and that there is no self-gain in it because surely that negates from the message if there is."

He said he was arranging a performance by African artists in a pod of the London Eye "to explore the diversity and the intelligence of Africa and not just its poverty".

Nothing to say
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »

cheer up damon.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 02:52:44 PM »

PINK FLOYD will indeed play Live 8 at Hyde park

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/home/27.html

And yes with Roger Waters too!!!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2005, 03:02:26 PM »

I was just about post this

Organizers of the London Live 8 concert said Sunday that British rock band Pink Floyd would re-form for a performance at the July event.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason, bass player Roger Waters and keyboard player Richard Wright have not performed on stage together since 1981.

The group, which achieved major success with their 1973 album "Dark Side Of The Moon," will join musical acts including Elton John, Madonna, Paul McCartney and Coldplay at the anti-poverty concert in Hyde Park on July 2.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G-8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," Gilmour said.

"It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations."

Waters, the group's founder, split with the rest of the band after a falling-out in the 1980s

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's going to be worthwhile," Gilmour said.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 03:38:06 PM »

Jesus Christ you proved me wrong? Shocked? I still can't belive Pink Floyd are back together, even if only for one night? Grin

There will be DVD's of their performance?

smoking Izzy? smoking

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 04:19:43 PM »

Im oh so exited, if Floyd can reunite can we ever hope axl and slash do the same?  Kiss
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »

The roster of Live 8 shows has risen to six.

Concert organizers have announced that the additional show will take place in Edinburgh, Scotland. The lineup includes Annie Lennox, The Proclaimers, Travis, Snow Patrol and Dido.

Unlike the other Live 8 shows, set for July 2, the Scotland show will take place July 6 -- as leaders of the G8 group of wealthy nations meet in nearby Gleneagles.

The title of the concert event, "Live 8," alludes to the G8 summit. The shows are free and are not intended to raise money, but rather raise awareness of poverty

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2005, 04:43:24 PM »

Musical acts offer services to Live 8 concert in Canada

TORONTO (CP) - Musicians and others who want to be involved in a possible Canadian Live 8 concert July 2 to promote awareness of world poverty are calling to offer their services, an organizer said Thursday.

"Today the number of incoming calls into the group organizing has increased and the enthusiasm is increasing," said Sharon Marshall of World Vision, which is involved with Canada's Make Poverty History campaign.

She wouldn't confirm a CTV Newsnet report that a concert would take place on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, and that artists being approached to perform two or three songs include Bryan Adams, the Barenaked Ladies, Jann Arden and Our Lady Peace.

"We're confident that there's going to be a Canadian voice," Marshall said, adding that "we don't have anything firm to tell anybody."

"The negotiations for these kinds of things have to happen on a number of levels, a number of different areas from production to artists to venues to supporters to - you name it - there's probably 20 different levels on which the negotiations have to take place before there's a concert."

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2005, 04:58:11 PM »

god that gorillaz guy is such a ass. How is that show "racist" just because there are not many black artists, well most of africas poorer people are shown to be black. So this show is indeed for black african people. Hows that racist?

html sucks
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2005, 05:06:36 PM »

god that gorillaz guy is such a ass. How is that show "racist" just because there are not many black artists, well most of africas poorer people are shown to be black. So this show is indeed for black african people. Hows that racist?

In not including black artists from the black british community, some being from well known streathams and brixtons, i have named household names soul to soul. Just an exemple.

Nothing to say
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2005, 05:39:41 PM »

that sentence made no sense, can you explain more clearly please.

html sucks
Jessica
Legend

Still there

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2005, 07:22:43 PM »

that sentence made no sense, can you explain more clearly please.

Sorry, i had no sleep at all in quite some while, am explaining again, 2nd attempt :

There are many blacks in great britain, a very high percentage of the population is black as a matter of fact.
Black music finds its roots, for a lot, in africa.
There is NO representation of black people, of africans ( like singer Youssou N'Dour) or Black culture in the upcoming event.

It's a pro white concert, with people claiming to be concerned about africa, when there are NO africans represented ( even white ones such as Jimmy Clegg and his forgotten savukas), no black people of african descent, no black people altogether ( apart from slash and rob's girl guitarist) and no black music ( such as soul, such as gospel, such as rap).

It's very sad. It's all very white, very charts orientated and many people ( including rob and madonna) have new albums to promote and will do at this very happening.

Africa is mainly about africans, who happen to be black, who happen to have their own music too, so where are they ?

I actually understand with Damon and kind of...agree.

( although i won't miss the concert in itself like many people who love Hyde Park in the summer... hihi)

Nothing to say
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »

Looks like Live 8 won't be in Ottawa... so back to my original prediction, Toronto with the Rolling Stones.? The last article I read said they won't have a Canadian Live 8 concert unless they can get enough good bands that match the other cities.? That gives me hope that it really will be the Stones, we could do Downsview Park again!

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/06/01/1067047-cp.html

TORONTO (CP) - An announcement concerning a Canadian Live 8 concert will be made Thursday, say organizers who've been working furiously to assemble musicians for a Canuck event.

"We are expecting to announce tomorrow, in a big way. That's what we're kind of working towards," said Sharon Marshall of World Vision, which is involved with Canada's Make Poverty History campaign. She said a venue has been secured although she wouldn't reveal which city would host the historic concert.

"It's not Ottawa . . . I can tell you that the lineup is spectacular. I can tell you that. And that Canadians will be really proud of it."

Marshall said concert promoter Michael Cohl will be involved in making the announcement Thursday.

This has prompted speculation that the Rolling Stones, who will be practising in Toronto for their upcoming tour, will be part of the show.

Live Aid mastermind Bob Geldof is behind this summer's concert bashes which will be held in Philadelphia, London, Paris, Rome and Berlin on July 2.

With U2, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Sting and Sarah McLachlan among the performers in those cities, Geldof's banking on the star-studded event raising awareness of poverty before leaders of the wealthy G-8 countries - which include Canada - meet in Britain.

"There are going to be lots and lots of ways for Canadians to be engaged in the purposes behind this concert," said Marshall.

"This concert is designed to put pressure globally on the G-8 leaders to make major changes in the way we're tackling poverty as a world."

Another article:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/06/15/Arts/canadalive8050615.html

Can't wait for the announcement!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 01:11:22 PM by Eazy E » Logged
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2005, 03:50:59 PM »

Thats awsome..Hopefully its at Downsview again and it has Stones,Guess Who,Rush,Bryan Adams,The hip,OLP and more

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2005, 03:57:51 PM »

Thats awsome..Hopefully its at Downsview again and it has Stones,Guess Who,Rush,Bryan Adams,The hip,OLP and more

Yeah, that seems like the type of lineup to expect... also I would say Matt Good would be a sure thing, Barenaked Ladies too.  If it's not in Toronto then the only other place I could think of would be Molson Park in Barrie.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2005, 03:53:16 PM »

BOB GELDOF is to announce three more LIVE 8 concerts ? including one in Africa.

Already announced are a series of gigs (July 2) which will take place in Hyde Park in London, as well Philadelphia, Berlin, Rome and Paris.

Now, BBC news reports that more shows are scheduled for Tokyo and Toronto, while Live 8 Africa is to take place in Johannesburg.

Organiser Bob Geldof said: "Three weeks ago Europe agreed, unbelievably, to double aid, throwing the ball back to the Yanks, the Japanese and the Canadians. So that forced me now to do, which I didn't want to do, a concert in Tokyo, Toronto, which we are announcing (on Friday). We will also announce Johannesburg.?

Artists already confirmed for the announced shows include U2, Razorlight , Muse, Scissor Sisters, Robbie Williams, Madonna, Elton John, Coldplay, REM, Dido, Paul McCartney and Keane.

In Philadelphia, confirmed acts include Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z and Brian Wilson.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2005, 08:16:55 PM »

Ok im still very confused about the whole tickets thing..From what i understand you jsut showd up to the ones except for london and it was free,ya didnt have to win or whatever you just went there..how does it work?

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2005, 09:19:29 PM »

you're all welcome to come and stay in my house for the G8 riots, errm, protests in Edinburgh.

We've got the proclaimers playing at our gig.

Everybody now "If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you
And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door"

Nothing quite like a drunk scotsman screaming that over and over again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: