Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 05:58:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227847 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Green Day
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Green Day  (Read 32080 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

Easy... 'Time Of Your Life'.  Wink
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »

Personally I don't consider Green Day "punk".
I'm more comfortable with "pop punk".
Does it really matter? No. It's music, and if you like it, great. If you don't, great.

For me, punk was an era in music that has been over for a long time.
Bands like MC5, Stooges, Misfits etc.

Bands have come along since that would have fit right in with that era like Fugazi for example, but never in a million years would I lump Green Day in with them.

I can dig me some Green Day. I had Smoothed out slappy hours, Kerplunk, Dookie.
They were good for what they were, and that to me was a band that played real simple safe pop songs.
They came from a large scene that I always felt was on the cusp of exploding.
Green Day was the band that pushed through first and has remained, but I never saw them as above their peers, musically or creatively.
I think they just happened to play it a bit more safe than bands like NOFX and Lagwagon, and thus became more commercially successful.
They have remained popular for a long time, which I guess is impressive, but in my opinion it has more to do with the fact that it's been slim pickings as far as main stream rock music goes for what seems like forever. Again, I'm more comfortable with the term "pop punk", and I'd slide them a lot closer to pop than punk. I think they are talented, it's not a knock, I just hardly consider them a rock band.

It doesn't bother me soo much with Green Day, but it used to drive me crazy to hear shit bands like Sum 41 and Good Charlotte referred to as punk.
Thankfully those guys have fallen off the face of the planet, I think?
deadflowerII
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »

I hear ya......my fellow gunners....im just not a fan.... peace
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »

It doesn't bother me soo much with Green Day, but it used to drive me crazy to hear shit bands like Sum 41 and Good Charlotte referred to as punk.

Believe it or not, I am pretty sure that Chris Wilson formerly of Good Charlotte is an active member of the gang FSU (Friends Stand United).  If its not him its another member.  Some of those guys have some.... interesting roots. 
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

Personally I don't consider Green Day "punk".
I'm more comfortable with "pop punk".
Does it really matter? No. It's music, and if you like it, great. If you don't, great.

For me, punk was an era in music that has been over for a long time.
Bands like MC5, Stooges, Misfits etc.

Bands have come along since that would have fit right in with that era like Fugazi for example, but never in a million years would I lump Green Day in with them.

I can dig me some Green Day. I had Smoothed out slappy hours, Kerplunk, Dookie.
They were good for what they were, and that to me was a band that played real simple safe pop songs.
They came from a large scene that I always felt was on the cusp of exploding.
Green Day was the band that pushed through first and has remained, but I never saw them as above their peers, musically or creatively.
I think they just happened to play it a bit more safe than bands like NOFX and Lagwagon, and thus became more commercially successful.
They have remained popular for a long time, which I guess is impressive, but in my opinion it has more to do with the fact that it's been slim pickings as far as main stream rock music goes for what seems like forever. Again, I'm more comfortable with the term "pop punk", and I'd slide them a lot closer to pop than punk. I think they are talented, it's not a knock, I just hardly consider them a rock band.

I agree with the more "pop punk" assessment, and also agree it doesnt really matter, if you like the songs great.  I disagree with the slim pickings remark though,  I buy new cds every week mostly from bands that didnt even form till 2002-2005.  

Sum 41 got nominated for the best metal song Grammy this year.  Actually was one of the better records of the past few years, not metal though.  Neither are the Foo Fighters who actually won.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2012, 01:35:44 AM »

Green Day has to settle for number 2, oh well, I was hoping to see all 3 albums of the trilogy top the chart, but Mumford and Sons is monstrous right now, I forgot that was coming out this week.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »

Has anyone heard anything on Armstrong's health of late? 

It seems they cancelled their Voodoo fest date so who knows at this point.

Beyond that, did anybody else hear John Lydon/Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols/PiL) on Opey and Anthony this morning?

He absolutely hammered Green Day, likened them to garden gnomes.  He apparently had a very one way conversation with Armstrong at a gig and told him exactly what he thought of them and it wasn't pretty.

I've heard Armstrong get pissy before on the subject, seems the lack of acceptance from the original punk guys really bugs him.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #167 on: October 10, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

Has anyone heard anything on Armstrong's health of late? 

It seems they cancelled their Voodoo fest date so who knows at this point.

Beyond that, did anybody else hear John Lydon/Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols/PiL) on Opey and Anthony this morning?

He absolutely hammered Green Day, likened them to garden gnomes.  He apparently had a very one way conversation with Armstrong at a gig and told him exactly what he thought of them and it wasn't pretty.

I've heard Armstrong get pissy before on the subject, seems the lack of acceptance from the original punk guys really bugs him.

Billie Joe is from a completely different generation of punk music, and without question there is a more commercial/pop element to the his generation.  It makes sense to me that he would get hammered by guys from the previous generation.  I would think a lot of that stems from jealousy, as here you have these guys like the Sex Pistols who laid the foundation down then a band like Green Day comes in with a way more commercial sound and completely dwarfs them in album sales and money made.  The other thing is like I said, Green Day is a more melodic punk band, with elements of pop.  Their songwriting in ways is more similar to the Beatles formula than say the Sex Pistols.  Green Day is more pop sounding punk band, I can see why Johnny Rotten would hate it.

That being said some of the old dinosaurs really need to get over themselves.  It's 2012, their time has long passed.  I have the utmost respect for the Sex Pistols and their influence, but I don't really ever enjoy listening to them.  I would rather listen to NOFX, Pennywise, Green Day, The Ramones, Rancid, H2O, Minor Threat,  and a slew of other bands before putting "Nevermind the Bollocks" on .  Like I said, I respect that record and realize none of those other bands would have ever happened without it, but that doesn't make it the end all be all of punk music.  The Sex Pistols help start the genre, they don't own it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:41:02 PM by Bodhi » Logged
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #168 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

^^Completely agree with everything Bodhi said here. Lydon has always been pissed because he feels the establishment invaded punk and turned it into a fashion statement. So by default he hates pretty much every band lumped into that genre that has come out since. And I agree, he needs to get over himself.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »

Ironic considering he was part of what turned punk into a fashion statement.

When your band was manufactured by a money-grabbing bastard in order to sell his shop's fashion range, you have no right to say what is and isn't punk...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »

^^Completely agree with everything Bodhi said here. Lydon has always been pissed because he feels the establishment invaded punk and turned it into a fashion statement. So by default he hates pretty much every band lumped into that genre that has come out since. And I agree, he needs to get over himself.

It's just Lydon being Rotten, which always makes for good copy.

I don't mind Green Day at all personally, they've stood the test of time and have made some good (sorry guys, pop music).

I don't throw around the term "punk" too much, I associate it more with a cultural change that saw its beginning and end in an 11 month period in mid '77 to mid '78.

Anyway, back to Billy Joe - how is he?  

Anyone?  Bueller???

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »

It's just Lydon being Rotten, which always makes for good copy.

I don't mind Green Day at all personally, they've stood the test of time and have made some good (sorry guys, pop music).

I don't throw around the term "punk" too much, I associate it more with a cultural change that saw its beginning and end in an 11 month period in mid '77 to mid '78.

so you are saying punk didn't exist after 1978?  That statement just blew my mind.  Somebody should tell Fat Mike from NOFX, Fletcher from Pennywise and wait, about a thousand other artists from punk bands over the last 30 years.

Im sure Billie Joe is fine, they are still releasing new singles form "Dos!", and i get emails everyday about things they are doing in the coming months involving the tour and all that.  The "rehab" thing is probably bullshit, he is on vacation.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2012, 07:12:11 PM »

Ironic considering he was part of what turned punk into a fashion statement.

When your band was manufactured by a money-grabbing bastard in order to sell his shop's fashion range, you have no right to say what is and isn't punk...

You're obviously buying into the McClaren angle, don't.

He was a mere entrepeneur who took advantage and saw a cultural shift coming and prospered from it - the only thing he manufactured was a notion.

And Lydon/Rotten certainly has every right to say whatever he wants about those who came after - good or bad.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »

so you are saying punk didn't exist after 1978?  That statement just blew my mind.  Somebody should tell Fat Mike from NOFX, Fletcher from Pennywise and wait, about a thousand other artists from punk bands over the last 30 years.

As I said, I associate it more with a cultural change than a defined musical genre, a window in time for the most part.

The "rehab" thing is probably bullshit, he is on vacation.

Good for him, he sure looked/sounded like he needed one after that meltdown.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: