Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Can GnR overcome the hate?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can GnR overcome the hate?  (Read 4871 times)
Groovie In VT
Rocker

You know where you are? Your on the fucking Intern

« on: November 21, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »

I have posted the Myspace link on several forums I go to regularly and in almost all of them, unless there is a die hard GnR fan like me, I get the responses. This isn't worth the wait. Its not really GnR. Axl is a jerk, its crap, etc.   You know how it is.   The problem is, can the band over come all of this hate? I seen guys from St Louis and Philly still holding major grudges and won't even listen to the new stuff.

I sure wish people would just give it a listen on its OWN merits, not compared to any previous GnR music they have heard, not with expectations to great to meet but just on its own.

Groovie In VT....... and don't you forget it!!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:31 AM »

I don't care about haters, they are sad and it's funny to laugh at them
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

I think they totally can. I've heard a lot of older people (30s and 40s) ragging on the album, but as I've been promoting it through my high school, everyone is digging it. I just talked my bud Tony who said it was great, exceeded his expectations.
DizzyReed63
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

Don't sweat it.
This is how it's gonna be for a while. A lot of people are wanna-be critics.
They're going to say negative things because they think it's the cool/hip thing to do.

Over time, I think this record will stand on its own merits.

Take for example Weezer's Pinkerton. Rolling Stone called it the worst album of the year. Now it's regularly in their top 100 albums of all-time.

If some never get over their false criticisms, it's their loss. Not our problem.

Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »

Don't sweat it.
This is how it's gonna be for a while. A lot of people are wanna-be critics.
They're going to say negative things because they think it's the cool/hip thing to do.

Over time, I think this record will stand on its own merits.

Take for example Weezer's Pinkerton. Rolling Stone called it the worst album of the year. Now it's regularly in their top 100 albums of all-time.

If some never get over their false criticisms, it's their loss. Not our problem.

There's a huge fanbase right here. Who needs 'em.
Olorin
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »

Hey, mabye the kids will like it ok

Didnt they used to say, dont trust anyone over 30.

slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »

We don't need the haters. They're all assholes anyway. If they can't listen to it for what it is, then the hell with them.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:05:11 AM »

We have to put up with shit like Nickelback selling millions of records in the face of all common sense, so I'm sure there'll be enough voices to make the detractors have to put up with CD  ok
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:39 AM »

How can new music by Guns N' Roses not be compared to old music by Guns N' Roses. By keeping the name they are the same band... the members may have changed but Guns N' Roses is Guns N' Roses.

If this were released under a different name it would have gotten the "fair shake" you are looking for. As far as the album coming with "Great Expectations"... It has taken as many as 14 years to write and mold this material into an album (we heard a few of them for the first time in 01') just due to the sheer time frame people are expecting the greatest album ever written... and anything less than that will be a let down.

I have a feeling you will see this album sell very well initially then sales will fall off for a while... then after time (and several singles) sales will pick up and it will be given the credit it deserves. I just think due to all of the past history and circumstances CD has been setup to fail... anything other than that just proves how good the album really is (although I still stand by my opinion that it is a little too 'busy')
variant
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »

Haven't GnR always succeeded despite the haters?

Who wants to be a fan of a band that everyone loves anyway? Much better to polarise opinion and be loved or hated than everyone thinking "well, they're alright".

Besides which, I love 'em and anyone who disagrees is a fucking idiot.  Grin
Annie
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »

A DJ in Chicago said the entire CD was epic. Don Murphy,  a movie producer of films like NATURAL BORN KILLERS and TRANSFORMERS told me 10 years ago that any strong reaction to your work is good whether it be love or hate. I LOVE what I have heard so far!
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:02 PM »

sometimes i wish axl would have tried harder not to be king dick to so many people.  he's so amazingly talented.  maybe if he'd been just a little more agreeable to the world of people not currently under employment then people wouldn't react that way.  i've seen it too.  whenever i try to play the new album for friends, they just zone it out because tehy dont like axl as a person so they dont enjoy his music.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »

sometimes i wish axl would have tried harder not to be king dick to so many people.  he's so amazingly talented.  maybe if he'd been just a little more agreeable to the world of people not currently under employment then people wouldn't react that way.  i've seen it too.  whenever i try to play the new album for friends, they just zone it out because tehy dont like axl as a person so they dont enjoy his music.

Well, personal humility aside, I think Axl would be a far less compelling (and interesting) person if he was "more agreeable".   People respond to those who stick to their principles, even if they're being a dick while doing it, as opposed to "people pleasers".

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »

GnR has always had a lot of "haters" and that's not going to change.  The hell with them.  The fact that they get themselves so worked into a frenzy and can't stop talking about the band they hate says a lot.  If anything, it's validation.  Because if GnR were as shitty or irrelevant as they say, they wouldn't even talk about them or get worked up about it.  They'd just be apathetic
Olorin
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »

The people who have such distain for him are the ones with the problem.

If the music gives you pleasure then just you go ahead and enjoy it, thats what its all about. Other people and new generations will be discovering and enjoying this album for years to come.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »

They were hated back in the day too, but still were number one. No biggy.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 01:20:06 PM »

I have been very irritated by some of the anti-GNR resentment from some of the reviewers.  Their job is to review the material, not the extraneous BS that exists in the background.  If a reviewer listens to the album and doesn't like the music.  i respect that.  not everyone will like the album.   But the album should be judged on its musical merits and that's it.  But really irritates me is that they are just looking for reasons to dis the album without giving it a fair chance.  Most people are bashing the album before even listening to it.

Here are my reasons why the negative hype is incorrect.

1.  It's not worth the 13year wait - what does this have to do with anything?  If it took 7 years...then would you magically like the music?  If it took 5 years would you like it more?  I bet if Axl released this in less than 3 years, reviewers would be saying that Axl rushed the music and he should have taken more time.  How long should it have taken when you're replacing 4 members of your band and starting over from scratch?

2.  It's not true GNR - Bands change members.  Robert Smith is the only original member in the cure.  You don't hear people saying..."that's not the reeeeal Cure" every time they release an album.  Sure Slash and Axl were a good combo at one time...but who knows if they stayed together that they would have continued making good music.  they weren't getting along...the music was suffering.  if they forced out an album together it might have sucked...then where would we be?  Outside of U2 are there any other major bands out there that HAVEN'T changed members once in their careers?

3.  It'll never be as good as Appetite - Here's the kicker...Chinese Democracy already is.  It is the most legendary album of the decade.  More news articles have been written about it than any other album.  It has spawned 2 word tours...a still talked about surprise award show appearance.  It has spawned controversy...it created some of the most sought after intenet leaks.  And GNR did this without releasing a single song. How many bands could pull off that?  

4.  It doesn't sound like old Guns N Roses - What does old Guns N Roses sound like?  Like appetite?  Like Lies?  Like UYI?  All three of those albums have very different sounds.  Bands change and evolve over time.  Beck and Radiohead have completely different sounding albums every time they release an album...and they are praised for this.  I guarantee if CD sounded like Appetite...all the reviewers would bash GNR for trying to hang onto the past and not try something new.

5.  Axl's voice sounds off - This is my new favorite one.  A 45-year-old Axl doesn't sound like a 25-year-old kid?  Shocker!  I personally think his voice sounds great...if not better in some places.  now it has texture to it...depth...making it more interesting.  I wonder if these same reviewers bash Bob Dylan's voice for being so aged and graveled.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »

there were always plenty of haters...never stopped them before...I will say this, I thought people would be making a bigger deal of the fact that its not the original line-up, but in most cases I am not seeing as big a backlash that i thought there would be...it is still there a little like when  boy bands like Hinder say shit..but for the most part people are not dwelling on the old...this is a great record...The worst song on this album is better than the best Velvet Revolver song...that is the truth...
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

I don't care about haters, they are sad and it's funny to laugh at them

isn't it though beer

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Groovie In VT
Rocker

You know where you are? Your on the fucking Intern

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »

I have been very irritated by some of the anti-GNR resentment from some of the reviewers.  Their job is to review the material, not the extraneous BS that exists in the background.  If a reviewer listens to the album and doesn't like the music.  i respect that.  not everyone will like the album.   But the album should be judged on its musical merits and that's it.  But really irritates me is that they are just looking for reasons to dis the album without giving it a fair chance.  Most people are bashing the album before even listening to it.

Here are my reasons why the negative hype is incorrect.

1.  It's not worth the 13year wait - what does this have to do with anything?  If it took 7 years...then would you magically like the music?  If it took 5 years would you like it more?  I bet if Axl released this in less than 3 years, reviewers would be saying that Axl rushed the music and he should have taken more time.  How long should it have taken when you're replacing 4 members of your band and starting over from scratch?

2.  It's not true GNR - Bands change members.  Robert Smith is the only original member in the cure.  You don't hear people saying..."that's not the reeeeal Cure" every time they release an album.  Sure Slash and Axl were a good combo at one time...but who knows if they stayed together that they would have continued making good music.  they weren't getting along...the music was suffering.  if they forced out an album together it might have sucked...then where would we be?  Outside of U2 are there any other major bands out there that HAVEN'T changed members once in their careers?

3.  It'll never be as good as Appetite - Here's the kicker...Chinese Democracy already is.  It is the most legendary album of the decade.  More news articles have been written about it than any other album.  It has spawned 2 word tours...a still talked about surprise award show appearance.  It has spawned controversy...it created some of the most sought after intenet leaks.  And GNR did this without releasing a single song. How many bands could pull off that?  

4.  It doesn't sound like old Guns N Roses - What does old Guns N Roses sound like?  Like appetite?  Like Lies?  Like UYI?  All three of those albums have very different sounds.  Bands change and evolve over time.  Beck and Radiohead have completely different sounding albums every time they release an album...and they are praised for this.  I guarantee if CD sounded like Appetite...all the reviewers would bash GNR for trying to hang onto the past and not try something new.

5.  Axl's voice sounds off - This is my new favorite one.  A 45-year-old Axl doesn't sound like a 25-year-old kid?  Shocker!  I personally think his voice sounds great...if not better in some places.  now it has texture to it...depth...making it more interesting.  I wonder if these same reviewers bash Bob Dylan's voice for being so aged and graveled.

Great post!   beer  ok   You summed it up perfectly.

Groovie In VT....... and don't you forget it!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: